PDA

View Full Version : French Girls Fifi top

MerigoldinWA
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
This is me attempting to model the French Girls Fifi top I made for one of my DDs.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/tangarinesweater015.jpg

This top is made of Rowan Calmer in the color tangerine. In the pattern the center panel is repeated down the back, but I didn't do that. I just continued the K2, P2 ribbing all around the back after the yoke. BTW this is made top down and no seaming. DD wanted the top longer than given (it was cropped) and the sleeves an inch longer.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Sweaters/tangerinefrontdetail.jpg

This is a detail of the cabling in the yoke and the center panel. I goofed up somehow and knitted clear to the armholes before I realized I had not put one of the cables down the center. :wall: The cables were to alternate, and I alternated them all right, but not in the right order. I thought I followed the pattern, but it was likely my error. :oops: I needed a center cable to run it to the bottom in the center panel, so I undid the center 4 stitches up to where I should have twisted them and put in a cable with dpns and crochet hook. I ended up with 3 cables next to each other, but it looks intentional and I like it all right. On the back yoke I left it with the mistake, because I decided not to run the panel down the back, so didn't need a center cable there anyway.

Rowan Calmer is very elastic and this top looks best on someone with no errant bulges. :lol: A good reason to lose a few pounds. This one was done in the next to the largest size given.

Oh, I found that the neck edge wanted to curl. It would because it is a very wide, mostly st st cable to start off. I later picked up the stitches along the neck, and with a needle 2 sizes smaller did 3 rounds of K2, P2 ribbing to try to tame it. I didn't want to make the addition too long and turn it into a turtleneck. :lol: I think it helped, but if I did another one, I might try to begin with the rib or something to help it lie flat.

evona
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Very very nice and I think it looks great on you :)

mwhite
04-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I like it! I think you did wonderfully considering all the problems you had and I, for one, couldn't tell any difference! A very stylish top that looks like it fits great! Love the color!!!

WandaT
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow! It's gorgeous!!! The color is beautiful and it fits you so well!

scout52
04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
It so pretty. and i love the cabling. it looks great!!

Jan in CA
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
That's beautiful!

ArtLady1981
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
OMG! :passedout:

I just LOVE IT! Hey, whatever 'personal touches' are contained within the pattern are undetectable to my eye!!! "What happens in Washington, STAYS in Washington"...as the saying goes! :teehee:

Really, this is a wonderful top! :thumbsup:You sure did knit it up quickly, too!

Your DD will look beautiful! It is such a summery color and style!

BTW, now I know where your DD got her sexy shape!!! You're a DISH, Momma!

MerigoldinWA
04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
ArtLady,

:oops: About my shape...You can't tell that I'm stretching up as much as I can to smooth out the lumps and sucking everything in, and holding my breath. :lol: Thanks though.

I would have knit it a lot faster if I had not done my usual "big swatch", that is, a big portion of the sweater. Again I didn't understand what they wanted for gauge. The pattern called for a size 7 needle and for you to swatch in K4, p1 rib, which is not really ever used in the pattern. (I just realized maybe that is what they called it though.) With that needle (and I usually knit loose), my gauge was way small, but I thought maybe they wanted it stretched or something. I swatched with an 8 I think and was still under. I couldn't imagine the needle needed to be that big. So I just decided to use the needle called for and hope for the best. I also began with the medium size (this has negative ease too, like Temptings I & II). I knitted almost to the armholes that way and DD that I am making it for was here so I tried it on her. Way too small.

So I started swatching again. I got gauge with a 9, and was going to start over with a bigger size and the 9 when I decided to swatch another time with an 8. I got gauge with that too. :?? Gauge kills me. I am so inconsistent. :lol: (Luckily I like to knit. :) ) So I decided to go with the large, and the #8. I think this will work for the DD it is for.

When I realized I didn't have the cable down the middle (the first one did) my heart sank. I could not envision doing it a third time. Thank goodness you can fix knitting without frogging.

Merigold

setty09
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I really like this top, the pattern looks very interesting. How is the yarn? Is it soft?

Debkcs
05-04-2008, 02:34 AM
:rofl: I couldn't possibly 'stretch' enough to not have any bulges showing in something with negative ease!!

The sweater looks perfect to me. No one will ever know that it's not the pattern the way it was written. Great work!

ritaw
05-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Beautiful work ! :)

KnittingNat
05-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Great job! I :inlove: the summer color and the pattern is great :thumbsup:

bethany
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
wow! It looks fantastic! Great job with correcting for the cables...I love how the 3 together look! Lucky daughter!

GiddyKnitter
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Fabulous and the colour is lovely. I love Rowan Calmer x

dustinac
05-04-2008, 10:53 AM
:inlove: very pretty and I love that color!!

bambi
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Love it and it looks great on you!

Bambi

Indygirl
05-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Merigolden, Your sweater turned out great! You look very nice in it too. :thumbsup:

Rubie
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Great looking sweater! And I love the color too. Justine

ah
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Great sweater!

MerigoldinWA
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Setty09,

Yes, the Rowan Calmer is very soft. I have made two things out of it now and it is quite different than regular 100% cotton. Neither of the things I've made have been used yet and gotten dirty, so as to require washing, but others who have used it like it very much.
Merigold

McKnitty
05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
So pretty! And such a nice spring/summer color. Now I want to try Calmer too!