PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong?

bambi
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I had this discussion with Jan and a few others. I knitted the Bernat Bamboo top and the fabric has no memory. It looks horrible! I probably knitted it too big and should have used smaller needles for denser fabric.

When I mattress stitched the sides, it created a ridge. I even went to the video and knitting alongside to make sure I was doing it right.

Can I seam it in again, hiding the side seams? What can I do to correct the V neck? It ended up being much lower after blocking and draping occured.

:??

Bambi

ArtLady1981
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I had this discussion with Jan and a few others. I knitted the Bernat Bamboo top and the fabric has no memory. It looks horrible! I probably knitted it too big and should have used smaller needles for denser fabric.

When I mattress stitched the sides, it created a ridge. I even went to the video and knitting alongside to make sure I was doing it right.

Can I seam it in again, hiding the side seams? What can I do to correct the V neck? It ended up being much lower after blocking and draping occured.

:??

Bambi

Hi Bambi! :waving:

Mattress seaming is worked with the RIGHT SIDES facing you as you lace back and forth. Then, when you 'cinch up' the laces...the ridges (selvedge edges) end up on the INSIDE (wrong side).

This is what a mattress seam should look like:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/2453088166_8590fabed6.jpg?v=0
Where that grey DMC Perle Cotton thread is popping
out is where I left off seaming to take the photo. For
mattress seaming, you 'lace up' a ways, then 'cinch up' those,
then 'lace up' some more, then cinch up, etc.

Right sides facing up:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/2453087920_5215a4e032.jpg?v=0

This is the DMC Perle Cotton (gauge 5) that I use to mattress seam. It is strong, slick, easy to see, and cinches up without
breaking. When the seam is all cinched up...it is invisible, too.
If you did seam with the RIGHT SIDE facing up...maybe you will have
better results with a different seaming thread. I dunno.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2452258345_b2b01e7fd9.jpg?v=0

MerigoldinWA
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Wear a camisole under it. They are in! Looks good in the tiny picture.

bambi
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe I will try a different seaming thread next time I make something. I might unseam it and re seam it using different thread. I will have to wear something under it but I might also try doing a picot edging around the neckline that will take up some space. Unfortunately, I'm out of the bamboo yarn and don't want to get more b/c I didn't care for working it.

Bambi

suzeeq
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Truthfully, when I make something that's too big or too small, I just re-knit it. It takes about the same amount of time and much less anguish as trying to get it right after the fact.

Jan in CA
05-01-2008, 01:16 AM
It's pretty hard to tell from that tiny photo. You can make them up to 800x600 if necessary for clarity. :thumbsup:

Debkcs
05-01-2008, 02:48 AM
(((((((Bambi)))))))

I did the same thing with a sweater for my DGD. The neck came out very, very wrong. It was my first knitted project, and I was very disappointed.

If you're happy with all the other components of the sweater, arm length, body length, ect., then knit or crochet in the v-neck. Otherwise, I agree with Sue, frog it and go on. Your LYS may be able to help you out some.

dustinac
05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
:hug: I'm sorry you don't like it...it looks good from the picture...I agree though if your not happy with it then frog it...I did this with my first sweater...had the ends weaved in and tried it on...so excited and blahhh...had to frog it :rofl:

cheley
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Bambi! :waving:

Mattress seaming is worked with the RIGHT SIDES facing you as you lace back and forth. Then, when you 'cinch up' the laces...the ridges (selvedge edges) end up on the INSIDE (wrong side).

This is what a mattress seam should look like:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/2453088166_8590fabed6.jpg?v=0
Where that grey DMC Perle Cotton thread is popping
out is where I left off seaming to take the photo. For
mattress seaming, you 'lace up' a ways, then 'cinch up' those,
then 'lace up' some more, then cinch up, etc.

Right sides facing up:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/2453087920_5215a4e032.jpg?v=0

This is the DMC Perle Cotton (gauge 5) that I use to mattress seam. It is strong, slick, easy to see, and cinches up without
breaking. When the seam is all cinched up...it is invisible, too.
If you did seam with the RIGHT SIDE facing up...maybe you will have
better results with a different seaming thread. I dunno.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2452258345_b2b01e7fd9.jpg?v=0 Wow..great Mat Stitch...I HATE DOING THAT, everything usually looks WONKY when I am finished....but, I never thought to use anything but the yarn I used in the project.....Do you always use DMC to seam up??? That's an awesome thing:muah: Do you "use" all of the strands?? Thanks

Knit4Pie
05-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow..great Mat Stitch...I HATE DOING THAT, everything usually looks WONKY when I am finished....but, I never thought to use anything but the yarn I used in the project.....Do you always use DMC to seam up??? That's an awesome thing:muah: Do you "use" all of the strands?? Thanks

I've never thought to use anything but the yarn used either. Great idea...don't know why I never thought of it. It's just not fair...LOL:muah:

bambi
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks to all! And, I'm new at resizing pics to put up here so thanks to Jan for letting me know how big of a photo I can use. Maybe I will wear it with a cami under it. I would still like to do a neck edging. I guess I'll need one more ball to do it and much smaller needles.

B

WildMountainHoney
05-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Ya know, I think it's that particular yarn. I made my mother a shrug of Bernat Bamboo, and..........well after washing and wearing, it hangs funny and looks worn and rough. I too followed the gage on the ball, so maybe our issue could have been a too loosely knit fabric, but the yarn was also splitty and not so fun to knit. Further, the sections I had to frog and reknit look worse (gosh I hate to tell you that) but I think some yarns are just not as sturdy, and don't handle all the handling well.

Personally, I will from here forward consider Bernat Bamboo in the realm of novelty yarns - great for a small accent, or maybe a scarf, but not for a garment. But I have touched other bamboo yarns that not so....sheddy, splitty, etc, so I hope to make more with bamboo.

bambi
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Melinda, while I was knitting it my nose kept itching like nuts. I finally figured out that little tufts of bamboo were floating up and getting up my nose.

B