PDA

View Full Version : Vest - Cable Pattern Question

kjmckeever
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
If anyone out there could help this "newbie" I would really appreciate it. Below is part of a vest pattern that I am "trying" to work on but I am stuck after row 3. Could anyone explain to me how the body of the pattern is worked including the cable pattern after row 3? This is my first time posting a question so excuse me if I am doing this incorrectly.

Pattern Stitch

Cable Pattern (panel of 10 sts)
Row 1 (RS): K10
Rows 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10: P10.
Row 3: Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in back, k2, k2 from cn, k2, sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front, k2, k2 from cn.
Rows 5, 7, & 9: K10
Rep Rows 1-10 for patt.

Border I understand this part

Body
Change to larger circular ndl and beg patt.
Row 1: K6, p2, pM, *p2, k10, rep from * to last 20 sts, p2 pM, k10, pM, p2, k6.
Row 2 and rem WS rows: K4, pacross to last 4 sts, k4.
Row 3: K6, p2, work Row 3 Cable Patt over 10 sts, *p2, k10, rep from * to 2 sts before next marker, p2, work Cable Patt over 10 sts, end p2, k6.
Continue to work even in patt as est until piece meas 9-1/2: from beg, ending with a WS row, at the same time,

Ingrid
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
It looks like the first two rows are the set up rows to establish the cable pattern.

Just follow them as they're written.

The cable pattern this time will start with row 3, on the 10 stitches after the markers. After you've finished rows 3-10 of the cable rows the first time, you'll start the next row with row 1 of the cable pattern.

The rest of the pattern is just a repeat of the non-cable stitches of 2 and 3.

kjmckeever
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks so much for your help. The only question "I think" I have left is from the "body" part of the pattern what exactly does "Continue to work even in patt as est until piece meas 9-1/2: from beg, ending with a WS row, at the same time, ………

Again, thanks a lot! Kathy

Knit4Pie
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
It just means to follow your cable pattern. Work even means without increases or decreases, but since there aren't any, you're good!

DorothyDot
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Yep, Knit4pie has it right. Just work the pattern, the 10 cable rows, over and over. It was stated different for the first-time-through the cable pattern because the writer wanted to start you at a specific point of the cable pattern - in this case, row 1. Once you've done this row, you work all the rest of the cable pattern in order: rows 1 - 2 - 3, etc.

After the first go-around, you just work the 10 cable pattern rows over and over.

And you are familiar with slipping half the cable stitches onto a dpn/stitch holder, moving it behind your needle and knitting the other half of the cable stitches - then knit the first half off of the dpn/stitch holder... this is how you twist your cable.

Good for you for doing this!
Dot