PDA

View Full Version : Joining stitches

squiggle
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm knitting a beannie (I'm pretty new at knitting). I'm using the cable cast on stitch but I can't figure out how to join stitches after the cast on is done (also, I do the continental way of knitting). Could you please tell me how to join this? Not that it makes any difference, I suppose, but I'm using the Denise needle kit.

Thank you very much,
Squiggle

WildMountainHoney
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
In the videos, under Advanced Techniques (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques), large diameter circular knitting video should be what you're looking for.

squiggle
04-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I have watched that particular video, but the problem I have is that both lengths of the yarn are on different sides of the needles. If I bring the last cast on stitch from the left to the right needle it leaves a gap in between stitches. I just wondered if there is something special I need to do since it's a cable cast on stitch?

Thanks again,
Squiggle

squiggle
04-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I guess I don't exactly understand how this forum works, but I'll try again. Is there something special I need to do since I'm using the cable cast on method. I've watched the video but my lenght of yarn are on each needle. The video show both lengths of yarn on the right needle. If I try to bring my last cast on stitch over to the right needle, it leaves a gap and I still have a length of yarn on both needles.

Thanks,
Squiggle

gargoyle08
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I am not sure if this will help with your specific problem, however is what I do to reduce the gap at the joint...

Cast on one extra stitch.
Lay your work flat to make sure your work is not twisted.
Knit one to join both ends, then pass the extra stitch you casted on over the first knit stitch (just like a bind off) et voila! Your work is now joined, you have the required number of stitches and there is no gap :)

I hope this helps,

Nadine

WildMountainHoney
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
The pp mentions one way to join, and one I often use!

You don't need to do anything different because of your cast on, but yes, you will tails at both ends. Do make sure the stitches are not twisted around the needle or cord, and now hold the needles so that you have your tail at the left, your working yarn (that is connected to the ball) on the right needle. The bare minimum you need to do to "join in the round" is use the yarn from right, to knit the stitch closest to the tip on the left needle.

suzeeq
04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
The yarns may be on different needles instead of the same one, but you probably used a different cast on method is all. Just make sure you start knitting with the yarn that goes back to the ball. I do the extra stitch and knit it together with the first CO stitch and it does tighten up the gap quite well.