PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Problem!

deemaree
05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I am making my first sweater and things seemed to be going okay until I came across these instructions;

Work 9 rows patt, AT SAME TIME dec at armhole edge in alt rows 4 times.

Does this mean that I decrease on rows 1,3,5 and 7 or rows 2,4,6 and 8?

Would greatly appreciate an interpretation :?? :??

Jints
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Alternate row Decreases, usually, are done on a right side row (in stocking st thats a knit row.)

deemaree
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you! The whole sweater is done in garter stitch, do you know how to differentiate the right side from the wrong side?

Jints
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
In garter st it probably doesn't matter that much if you haven't done any shaping yet, but I would choose a side as front and put in safety pin that side so you can keep track of which side is which.
(If you used Long Tail cast on, the beginning tail for first row would be on the right edge)

deemaree
05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Thank you, greatly appreciate your advice, wish I was part of this forum earlier!:happydance:

cam90066
05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
When working garter st pieces, just make sure all of them have the CO edge facing the same dir (RS or WS) when you assemble. Depending on the type of CO, some are more obvious than others and you wouldn't want the bottom edge of one sleeve diff from the other, or the front of the sweater diff from the back. That's why marking them while working helps to maintain the distinction.

cam

deemaree
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks Cam,

I'm still a newbie whose only ever attempted scarves and other small projects so every little tip is greatly appreciated!

Have a great day:waving: