PDA

View Full Version : Learning to do Magic Loop

Alyce
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
:woohoo: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I learned magic loop watching the videos on here. I am so proud of myself.:woot: :woot: One minor question: If I do one sock on dpns, can I do ml for the other sock or will they look different?:happydance: :happydance:

ecb
05-02-2008, 11:10 PM
no idea, but I would love to know the answer
good question

ecb

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
They shouldn't look that different, you're still knitting in the round. And if the sts look less even on one, wash them both and they should look good enough. Who's going to see if they're on your feet inside shoes....? :teehee:

Alyce
05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll let you know how they turn out. THe first sock on dpns was my first ever sock. I find dpns very awkward. I keep feeling like I'm doing something wrong. I just can't keep the needles out of my way.:??

Debkcs
05-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Alyce, I use magic loop to make socks and mittens. Going to try sleeves soon, also.

A sock done on dpn's will not look any different, I know because after doing one sock on them, I switched to two circs, both socks look the same. Shouldn't be any different. I now use ml only, unless I want to make a firmer fabric on the sole.

It's so much easier for me to use, my dpn's are in the bottom of a craft drawer.

tarrentella
05-03-2008, 04:47 AM
there shouldnt be two much of a difference, but some people find that their gauge can be different with different techniques (for instance my guage is smaller on DPNs than straights or circulars as i tend to knit tighter on them). That could be somthing to be aware of.

Debkcs
05-03-2008, 05:13 AM
For some reason, I'm blessed with 'perfect gauge'. I still swatch, but there is no difference between the types of needles, at least for me.

Another thing about magic loop, I have so many people interested in the method when I go places. They've never seen this method, and it amazes them.

zkimom
05-03-2008, 07:06 AM
The nice thing about ML is that if you have a long enough cable you can knit both socks at once -- you can knit 2 socks on 2 circs also. That will keep you from wondering if both socks are the same.

Not being a big fan of knitting socks, it's the only way I go. Otherwise, I always end up with just one sock.

;)

Abbily
05-06-2008, 10:36 AM
My first pair of socks- I started the first sock on dpn's, hated it, and switched to ML in the middle of the sock. Then did the 2nd sock ML. I can't even tell which one is which. :)

Knitting_Guy
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
When I did my first pair of socks I did the first on DPNs and the second ML. No difference.