PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice or opinions

Debkcs
05-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Have you ever heard of anyone not liking socks made from bamboo, or maybe made them and not liked them? Any advice would be appreciated, I bought two skeins of Regia Bamboo to make some socks for my brother, but then heard that they don't stay up. Wouldn't that be a function of gage?

TIA!

Wildfire
05-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Can't say as I've used that yarn, but I would assume that it would have something to do with the sock pattern itself. Most of the patterns I read for socks suggest making ribbed cuff that goes however long you want it to be down to the heel to make it stay up better.

Although, now that I think of it; if the yarn is extremely fancy (smooth, loose, kinda like microspun) then I'd think the yarn doesn't have the 'will' or rather the stiffness to stay up no matter what stitch they are knit in. Yarn like that seems to do much better as a decorative yarn for me.

Mirl56
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
I have a pair of bamboo socks and they stay up just fine. I used an all over, reversible cable pattern - in general I think the stitch pattern is pretty leg-huggable. But I think even stockinette would still have stayed up fine w/2" ribbing at top.

I used Panda wool. I have some Regia Bamboo in my stash; just haven't used it yet.

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I've heard that people have trouble with bamboo socks staying up. Could be the pattern, could be the yarn.

Plantgoddess+
05-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I had bought some bamboo yarn for socks. I loved the softness and shine, but when I cast on for socks with ribbing and doing a cable pattern for stretchiness they felt sooo limp and heavy that I frogged them and made a gorgeous scarf ( the Branching Out pattern. I was using Ornaghi filati brand. Other brands may work out much better for socks.

WildMountainHoney
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it would be similar to problems with cotton socks. Wool has a great "memory", but cotton "grows" with wear (I made my dd a 100% cotton dress - the straps and length grow by several inches as she wears it!). To combat this, many cotton sock yarns have other fibers (nylon, a little wool) and some even a bit of elastic. I think if the yarn is a bamboo blend, it will be ok. Otherwise, I would consider getting some elastic thread to carry along at the cuff.

Crycket
05-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I have used that yarn...it is wonderfully soft...and for me...made the most like store bought socks I own....

I didn't make mine with a ribbing at the top (just a raw edge that curled itself...looked fine, so I left it) and it seems to stay up fine for me...I have worn them dozens of times...and I love them to pieces....

Debkcs
05-03-2008, 06:07 PM
It does have wool and polyamide in it. I feel better, thanks to all of you, so will go ahead and use it for my brother's socks.

Plantgoddess+
05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
With that mixture I think the yarn should be great for socks. The yarn I bought was 100% bamboo. It felt similar in drape to some yarn I bought years ago to make a top. The yarn sagged so much I couldn't wear the top without exposing myself. I started to frog the top, but couldn't think of anything else to make of it.

Jan in CA
05-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I've heard that bamboo in general is rather drapey and doesn't have a lot of memory. It may be one of those yarns that needs a smaller needle size and patterns like ribbing to help keep it's shape.

Plantgoddess+
05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
I've heard that bamboo in general is rather drapey and doesn't have a lot of memory. It may be one of those yarns that needs a smaller needle size and patterns like ribbing to help keep it's shape.
That's what I thought and so I was using a pattern that I had used on some other yarn that had little memory.
When I took the bamboo off the needles and tried it on before frogging I knew I had made the right decision. The cuff just had no elasticity at all. I was working on 2.25mm dpns.
As I posted before, it may well be just the brand I bought. I love the yarn and love the scarf I made with it, but won't try it for socks again. Not that I need more socks right now. I've already finished 12 pair this winter out of various fibers.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
i went and bought a couple spools of the thread elastic and i use that in all of the cuffs of socks.... don't have any issues getting them to stay up.