PDA

View Full Version : Cross over knitter, beginner homespuner

fiberlover
05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi just newbie to the group,
Have been knitting for 9 years. Just recently cross over to spinning.:hug: Very excited about making my own yarn. Currently I am working wool, llama and store brought ( left overs cut up and carded):knitting:

Foxyie
05-04-2008, 01:35 AM
welcome to KH and spinning!

how is it working with llama?

fiberlover
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Its really nice. Its spins like dream. I think I must of gotten a young one wool, because its not as wirey and some of the others lots I have. Over all I can't complain ,the whole stock of nearly 2 pounds was given to me free, from a pet owner in the community. The wool I paid 36.00 for got two x large bags of chocolate and two x large bags of white. Their in my garage in pillow cases waiting to process. Which I will do once the Colorado weather warms more. I finally got a drum carder coming!! Been saving up for nearly 2 years to buy one.

mullerslanefarm
05-04-2008, 02:58 PM
What type of wool??

Have you processed wool before? It's not hard, but it does take time to do it right.

The more time you take prepping the wool, the easier it is down the line.

Foxyie
05-04-2008, 03:30 PM
i ask becuase i'm supposed to get some llama pretty soon

congrats on the drum carder!

while i do love my hand cards..trying to do 2 pounds in one sitting wasn't the best idea.. my cards seem to max out at holding 1 ounce

so i was really wishing for one! :teehee:

fiberlover
05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I believe border leicester. After doing alot of reading/ researching on processing I did some last summer and spun it over the winter. It was kinda funny. Last summer pull out a some clean old sheets and lay them out flat in my driveway, then dump my raw fleece and started sorting it. One of my son friend happen to come over to see if he could play and he looked at the raw pile fleece and said what the heck happened. My son not missing anote said "Oh, that my mothers wool, she got a hold of Bigfoot and gave him a hair cut". For second his friend thought we were serious.!! Its was very funny to his face expression. Then we told him what is really was

mullerslanefarm
05-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Big Foot!! :roflhard:

He was probably afraid he was next!

KnittinMitchie
05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
LOL that is jut too funny