PDA

View Full Version : Selvage?

Cynamar
05-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I want to make this scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm). It looks pretty easy and very cute. What, though, does it mean by an extra stitch on each side for selvage? What do I do with those stitches?

Jan in CA
05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
A selvage is just the edge of the work. On things like scarves it looks nice to slip the first stitch and knit the last regardless of the pattern. I always slip as if to purl with the yarn in back. There are different ways to do it, but just be consistent and you'll get a nice chained looking edge.

Cynamar
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you! I was kind of figuring to slip the first stitch but wanted to be sure from you experts. I'm lame--this is the first pattern for me to follow. I need to get serious!

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
You could also just keep the edges stitches in garter, that often looks nice too.

tokmom
05-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I like that pattern. What yarn will you use?

Cynamar
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I started it yesterday and am on my third skein on Knitpicks' Shamrock in Doyle (http://www.knitpicks.com/shamrock%20yarn_YD5420154.html). I think one more skein (they're small) would be perfect. I really like the pattern a lot. It looks cool. I wanted a simple scarf but am tired of stockinette and garter!

Jan in CA
05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
The Scrunchable Scarf is a good one. I made it a long time ago out of Plymouth Encore. If you go to the What'cha Knittin' Forum and click on search this forum you can put that in and see all kinds of them that people have made. :thumbsup:

hocns
05-06-2008, 06:50 AM
A selvage is just the edge of the work. On things like scarves it looks nice to slip the first stitch and knit the last regardless of the pattern. I always slip as if to purl with the yarn in back. There are different ways to do it, but just be consistent and you'll get a nice chained looking edge.

I do that, except I always knit the first and slip the last, but the effect is the same. It does give a very attractive edge to a scarf.