PDA

View Full Version : USDA nutritional values

Jan in CA
05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm probably not the only one who watches what they eat...and I don't mean just calories, I mean making sure you get enough of certain nutrients, etc. This site is very helpful! If you click on nutrients list you can search by nutrient.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

As a side note... I have discovered something that has helped me a lot! I've been having BAD foot cramps at night for awhile. In my quest to lose weight and watch what I'm eating I discovered that I really wasn't getting enough potassium. So I have been making an effort to do so and in the process found that my cramps are much, much less bothersome and when I do get them they are easier to relax. Amazing!

HamaLee
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Got any sites to prove this bag of Peanut M&Ms is a well-balanced dinner? :teehee:

Everybody has a bad night now and then, right? :rofl:

Jan in CA
05-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Got any sites to prove this bag of Peanut M&Ms is a well-balanced dinner? :teehee:

Everybody has a bad night now and then, right? :rofl:

:roflhard: I think you'll just have to write this day off. ;)

suzeeq
05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Wellll..... there's some protein in it.

jennylozano
05-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the link Jan! I have been wondering about using Splenda these days. I am not diabetic, yet....but it runs in my father's family, so I want to be careful using sugar and sweets... I have read that aspartame is terrible for our bodies... and lately read that Splenda is not as good as they say it is.... in fact it can upset the stomach, just to start.... Now I don't know what to use to sweet my coffee... apparently brown sugar is just colored white sugar?????

suzeeq
05-05-2008, 12:39 AM
True brown sugar, what you use for cookies, is not white sugar colored with molasses. It's the product that still has molasses in it before it's further refined into white sugar. My dad grew sugar beets and the president of the factory was a neighbor I interviewed for an 8th grade project.

Yeah, I'll take white sugar over fake sugar, and Sucralose is suspect too. You can use honey or molasses; there's also an herb called stevia that's naturally sweet. It's found in health food stores as the FDA won't classify as a sugar substitute. Be careful if you use it, it's about 10x sweeter than sugar; less than 1/8 tsp is equivalent to a tsp or two of sugar.

suzeeq
05-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Jan, my leg cramps went away when I started taking magnesium before bed. If I forget for a couple nights, I wake up with a cramp in my calves. These minerals, along with calcium and sodium regulate the fluid balances in our bodies and with warmer weather upon us (maybe, hopefully), realize that they can be sweated out and we may need to add more to make up for them.

Jan in CA
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
I do take magnesium, but I've always taken it in the morning. I'll give the evening a try along with trying to get more potassium. Maybe they'll go away completely! Woo!

I use Splenda in my coffee. I eat very healthy and I've never had an adverse affect from it so I figure I can't give up everything. I don't need the extra calories so it works for me. ;)

WildMountainHoney
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Jan, thanks for the link!

However......ummm, how on earth do you find time to sort through all of that, or even use that quantity of information, or are you using it to look up specifics? I guess to me, it's a bit of info overload!

I do enjoy stevia occasionally, as Stevia Plus (includes Inositol which helps keep blood sugars balanced) until the licorice aftertaste gets to be too much, but I'm one of the lucky (sarcasm) ones who is sensitive to sugar alcohols, including Xylitol (although it's good for your teeth!) and Splenda so I can't use them much if at all.

losnana
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I use Splenda all the time instead of sugar. Even if it is not so good for me, I figure it can't be any worse than sugar! I've never had any problems with upset stomach or the other possible problems, though. I can see why those would make one reluctant to use it.

I use Splenda in my coffee. I eat very healthy and I've never had an adverse affect from it so I figure I can't give up everything. I don't need the extra calories so it works for me. ;)

Jan in CA
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
However......ummm, how on earth do you find time to sort through all of that, or even use that quantity of information, or are you using it to look up specifics? I guess to me, it's a bit of info overload!

:teehee: I was mainly using it for specifics. I looked up potassium to see which foods had the most. I also looked up various foods to see what they had in them.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-06-2008, 08:53 AM
if you use fitday.com it'll automatically calculate not only how much of each nutrient you're eating, but how far off you are from the FDA's requirements... it also factors how many calories you burn off in relation to how much you eat as well.... i've been using fitday since last summer and i've lost over 70 pounds.

Jan in CA
05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
if you use fitday.com it'll automatically calculate not only how much of each nutrient you're eating, but how far off you are from the FDA's requirements...

I've used Fitday, but right now I'm using SparkPeople which is basically the same thing. I've learned a lot about my diet.

Good for you for losing all that weight! :yay:

dmknits
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I love Fitday. I bought the downloadable version back in 2004.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

if you use fitday.com it'll automatically calculate not only how much of each nutrient you're eating, but how far off you are from the FDA's requirements... it also factors how many calories you burn off in relation to how much you eat as well.... i've been using fitday since last summer and i've lost over 70 pounds.