PDA

View Full Version : I broke my needle...

jess_hawk
05-05-2008, 06:41 AM
So, I'm working on a sock on dpns, and I had put my WIP down beside me on my bed so that I could do some homework, but when I went to pick the knitting back up, I rolled onto one of my needles and cracked it!
I have five wooden dpns in size US3, so I don't really need the broken one, but on the other hand, it's only broke halfway through and I can fit the parts together perfectly... should I superglue it or will the glue itself catch on the yarn so I should just forget it (the problem is that if I fix it I have to keep the broken needle and remember to fix it when I get home, WITHOUT my mom seeing because she'll want to know why I didn't just toss it out...)
When it broke it flipped the end under an extra loop, too, so I added a stitch and had to go back and fix it when I noticed. Grr.

Knitting_Guy
05-05-2008, 07:51 AM
As they're wood I don't see why you couldn't glue it. I'd try Gorilla Glue instead of super glue though. That stuff is seriously strong.

Glue carefully and sand off any excess after it dries. Should be fine just treat it gently.

jess_hawk
05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks!
I actually work at a place that sells gorilla glue at home. And sandpaper, actually, lol... though its not like my dad doesn't have plenty of that. (I work at a True Value store)

Plantgoddess+
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I have already broken both my size 5 tips for my Harmony interchangeables. I used elmer's wood glue since that's what I have around. Most of the excess glue came off with rubbing and then I used a fine emery board to smooth the rest off. On one I can't tell where I broke it and on the other I didn't get it set just right so there's a little lip just above the metal join that I'll have to work on. Thank goodness I had ordered a back up set of 4's and 5's after breaking the first needle.
I now have a wooden hat box next to me that I set my knitting in when I put it down to go do something else (The woman CAN learn).

Cynamar
05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Superglue doesn't do great on porous surfaces like wood.

jess_hawk
05-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Thanks!

I normally keep my WIP's on top of the two crates where I keep my stash - its next to my hammock. Unfortunately, those crates don't fit in my luggage, so at the moment my WIP storage is "wherever it fits."
I learned my lesson originally the time I poked a hole in my butt with my metal 4's. lol.