PDA

View Full Version : My best garden skill - Ma'am, step away from the plant

Phaedra
05-05-2008, 07:01 AM
In '97, yes 1997, an ex co-worker gave me one Lily of the Valley plant for my shaded apt. balcony. When it died back in the fall, I tossed the dirt and "sticks" (read roots) into the bare corner of the building below. Over the years, it has taken care of it self; and this what we have now:

Silver
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM
:cheering: I bet that smells lovely!! Now you need to go down there and reclaim some of your Lily! :)

Cynamar
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, I love it! They are one of my favorite things! I used to have one just outside my front door but I haven't seen it this year.

saracidaltendencies
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
How pretty! Odd how that happens, huh? lol

Cynamar
05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I had a bleeding heart in a pot once and didn't realize that they die all the way back every year and dumped the whole pot on my vegetable patch spot. One day the next spring I was taking trash to the back alley and a flash of pink caught my eye. My bleeding heart was blooming!

MMario
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I tried for years and years to get Lily of the valley started in my gardens - because a relative ripped it out by the bushel every year - and I love it..... I would carefully move the plants, prepare the soil, nurse it lovingly, and it would die.

Finally - I took a bunch she had dug out one hot summers day - stuck it in a hole and walked on it. ignored it the rest of the summer. And the next year there a dozen or more shoots where there had been three or four - and the next year there were more - and now there are sevral patches of a dozen or more square feet. The trick, at least for me - was to treat it badly. then it survived. Whenever i'm careful with it - it croaks.

Inis
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I love when stuff like that happens -- and marvel at mother nature.

One summer, I had a row of planters on my deck railing filled with a variety of flowers -- petunias, moss roses, etc. By August one pink petunia had sprout in the patio below from the seeds that fell from above.

The patio was on the south east of the house, very protected from cold and wind. The petunia lasted through Thanksgiving that year and had seeded so well that the next year I had tons of petunias on the patio.

The moss rose had also seeded itself down there -- only I didn't know it. I was pulling out the seedlings because I thought they were weeds. After going out of town for a couple weeks, I came back to blooming moss roses and finally realized what they were :)

Sigh, sigh -- now I'm in a townhouse with a concrete slab for a patio. :waah: I miss my garden!

hocns
05-06-2008, 06:06 AM
I LOVE lilies-of-the-valley, so of course, even though I have bought a few in the past they have always died. My mother used to have them growing in her gravel parking lot. Maybe I'll take MMario's advice and abuse and neglect my next one.

Jaxhil
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Oh, my, those are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! And what a great story on how you "propegated" (lol) them! hehe-that's about my gardening speed too!

Thanks for sharing!

Phaedra
05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
My son likes to draw "rainbow flowers", so I bought some Burpee seeds from our grocery store--the pictures are from the packages (I'm not THAT good). :teehee: Right now I'm trying to grow a potted combination of:
Convolvulus (which is like a morning glory, but in a bush--no vines--yay!) and Four O'Clocks.
http://www.burpee.com/images/en_US//local/products/detail/b42267.jpg http://www.burpee.com/images/en_US//local/products/detail/b34272.jpg
So hopefully we"ll have blooms in the morning and then the other will open in the evening.

Puddinpop
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Very smart idea. It will be beautiful.

Puddinpop
05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I love the way they just popped out. My mother said that her dad used to give her mother these, so she bought her a Lily of the Valley pin. I tried the pink ones once, but they didn't live.

Cynamar
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
One time I didn't get the veggie patch cleaned out enough and since I was moving the next spring I didn't plant new things but a tomato plant came back. That was neat.