PDA

View Full Version : Aran sweater

KniftyKnitterGal
05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I would like to make my first sweater. Now I am pretty decent with cabled so I think I can do this. Does anyone know of any patterns?

Jan in CA
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Cardigan or pullover? Shrug/cropped or full sweater? Easy or challenging? Free or are you willing to buy a pattern? Need more info as there are a million sweater patterns out there.

I will suggest these patterns though. My first sweater (#9724) was very easy and the patterns are well written and easy to follow.
http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/

DorothyDot
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Since this is your first sweater, I'd take just a plain stockingette-stitch sweater [cardigan or pullover] and make 2 columns of cables, one on each side like suspenders. Twisted suspenders. Then you'd simply follow the instructions in the pattern... ribbing, armholes, neck, shoulders, and sleeves.

The basic 6-st. cable would work nicely; work the twist on every 6th row. So it would be like, p2, k6 [the cable stitches], p2 - on the right side of your work.

This would give you more confidence working sweaters - then you can graduate to the full-blown Aran sweaters that are so beautiful! Maybe a full-blown Aran vest would be the next step after your basic sweater.

Hope this helps,
Dot

KniftyKnitterGal
05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much. I would prefer it if it was a pullover. Thanks for the ideas, if you guys have anymore let me know... :hug: