PDA

View Full Version : ravelry

princessbonniejane
05-06-2008, 12:27 PM
is ravelry nice? I just joined and i'm wondering if it's nice.

Knitting_Guy
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
It's not as nice as KH, but it's ok.

Jan in CA
05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Ravelry is fabulous, but more as a tool IMO. The forums don't compare to KH. Maybe it's because there are so many and the whole system is huge.

I use Ravelry all the time to search pattern and yarns. You can also find a yarn you have in your stash and see what others have made with it. Or find a pattern you like and see what yarns people used to make it. It's a great resource for that kind of thing. It's also nice to keep track of your projects. :thumbsup:

figaro
05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
It is great for doing stuff like checking out a pattern, seeing what yarn people have used with it, seeing how fast it knits up, how hard the pattern is to knit, and then there are the forums and the groups. There are so many out there, from specific cars to local yarn stores to shows/movies to blog fan groups. That part can be a little overwhelming. It will take you a while to navigate the place but you can end up using it as a great tool-research and the like. Take your time, there is a lot to see there.

cdjack
05-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree. It's great for researching and checking out people's modifications to knitting patterns. But the forums are much better here. Maybe it's because there are so many more people over there... and ,IMO, way too many different groups that have nothing to do with knitting and/or crocheting.

snowbear
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I really enjoy it. I've found groups that are close to me that have knit togethers and I've done international swaps that have been great. I think it depends on what group you've joined.

I've learned lots about knitting, and tips to improve my knitting.

Both sites are great. Each have their own plus and minus..

Mike
05-07-2008, 05:00 AM
I don't really see the use in it.
It is like the internet of knitting forums, but too many of them don't have anything to do with yarn even when you'd think they would.

If you're an OCD organizer you would probably have more use for it than I do.

zkimom
05-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I love Ravelry! I especially love it when I have yarn in my stash that I can't figure out what to make with. I can look it up on Ravelry and see lists of projects made with that particular yarn. I also love to see what yarn and modifications others have made to patterns I am interested in. Many Ravelry members will post comments so I can tell if I even want to attempt a certain project or work with a particular yarn.

It is a great tool and a great source of inspiration as well.

I like the Ravelry forums. They are just different than KH. I belong to a Ravelry group of knitters in my area and a couple that relate to my photography interests. I'm homeschooling my son so there is a homeschooling group as well. It's like a great big OT folder with interests that match mine.

I love both KH and Ravelry and am grateful that I have access to both!

Doublereeder2
05-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I love being able to look at other's projects for ideas, checking out what others have done with the same yarn I have and looking for patterns .... but I don't really use it as a forum. There are groups that I belong to tho mostly lurk. And frankly, if there are threads that are not "nice" I don't even read them becasue I could care less.

KH is different. It is a forum with amazing people here who are friendly, helpful and just plain great. I think KH and Ravely have such different funtions, it is difficult to compare. I love them both but for totally different reasons.

KH rocks!

annomalley
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I like it as a tool. I use it to look up patterns and I also find it very helpful to look at a project and see what other people did with it and what other kinds of yarn they used and what results they got with that yarn.