PDA

View Full Version : Gone From Windows to MAC? Need Advice.

Arielluria
05-06-2008, 01:33 PM
OK, everyone knows Windows sucks mud :teehee:, and since with the new, as usual UNFINISHED operating system they are going to force us to buy all new software (i.e. my old Office 97 won't work because Vista saves .doc into .docx instead. Ya! Right!

OK, enough ranting...................:roll:

So I'm thinking just take the leap to MAC. I know it's a better system, I know there aren't as many programs for it, but since I don't need anything much besides internet connection, email and word processing, what's the difference....right?

Your thoughts and opinions?

Knitting_Guy
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I really can't say anything bad about Macs. It's a far better OS than Vista IMHO.

Of course I am obligated to say that Linux is also a good choice. There are far more applications available for Linux than either Windows or Mac, but there is a learning curve involved.

Ok, now that's out of the way, software selection for Mac may be a little smaller than Windows, but there are still thousands of applications available that will do whatever you want to do.

I'd say you really couldn't go wrong making the switch to Mac.

evona
05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I made the switch to a Mac at home and I would never go back to Windows for my personal computing. Mac OS X (which is what I have) is far far superior and the Macs are much much more secure. I wish my boss would switch to Macs actually. Everything program we use at work is offered on a Mac and I am so tired of calling the tech guy because of some failure of one kind or another on our office PCs

cdjack
05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I switched over to a Mac this past December and I love, love, LOVE it.
I think enough people now have macs so that the software that is available is growing.
I don't currently have Microsoft Office on my mac, but I did download openoffice.org. That way I can read any Office attachments someone might send me. And it's free.

Ivy19
05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I switched to a MacBook last year and am quite content. The learning curve is not too steep and just to make sure I could use some of my windows software, I set up a parallel desktop with windows on the MacBook (I am NOT a techie and even I could do it). But in reality, I only use the windows desktop when I'm traveling and want to play some games I have loaded on with windows software.

Apple products have some pretty amazing features and the fact that they are very secure (unlike windows) made it quite attractive to me. Plus, there are all kinds of folks on the net who give really good tips for beginning Mac users.

One caveat: I take a lot of pictures and I still haven't got a handle on Apple's Aperture program. I still use Adobe Elements and Photoshop on my Windows desktop for most of my photography work. I need to change that, though, since Apple's graphics, even on my basic MacBook, are terrific.

Ivy

Knitting_Guy
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Ivy, check out a graphics editing program called The Gimp. It's quite good and comes in Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.

Arielluria
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Thank you all. I truly appreciate the feedback!

Mason, I'm on the geeky side of the spectrum in my family, so I'm not put off by a new OS. Linux is a possibility I had not thought of. I will look into that also!

Goodbye Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Knitting_Guy
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you all. I truly appreciate the feedback!

Mason, I'm on the geeky side of the spectrum in my family, so I'm not put off by a new OS. Linux is a possibility I had not thought of. I will look into that also!

Goodbye Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

You could always set up a dual boot system at first until you learn your way around Linux.

I'd recommend trying out a couple of LiveCD versions to see how you like them and if they'll work ok with your hardware.

I think PCLinuxOS is probably among the best out there for a new Linux user and would be worth looking at. Just download the ISO and burn the image to a cd. Boot your computer from that cdrom and you'll have a fully functional Linux OS running from cdrom (although a tad slow due to cdrom read speeds).

If you like it you can install it. Be sure to back up your data first just in case you make a mistake with the partitioning.

evona
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
One caveat: I take a lot of pictures and I still haven't got a handle on Apple's Aperture program. I still use Adobe Elements and Photoshop on my Windows desktop for most of my photography work. I need to change that, though, since Apple's graphics, even on my basic MacBook, are terrific.

Ivy

As a photographer you will benefit greatly by getting to know Photoshop on Mac. Once you learn the program the things you can do are amazing. Google Photoshop tutorials for Mac. There are some good ones that aren't too much for the non "geeks" to get :) I am not a geek really, but I am considered the computer expert in my office though - which says a lot more about the lack of computer savvy of my co-workers than it does about my computer skills :rofl: My BF; however, is a computer programmer and has used Macs since he was a kid. I learn everything from him - oh and my 16yo DS.

auburnchick
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I switched to a mac too -- last August or September. I bought MS Office for it and have been very happy. With you being a techie, you should be fine on some of the adjustments you have to make (Apple Q to quit a program, etc.).

FYI...I bought a MacBook Pro (not the thin one)...the 17" laptop, and I love it!

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

gotta knit
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Ivy

Graphics shouldn't be an issue with Mac at all. My brother is a commercial photographer and only uses his Macs. You can definitely get Photoshop for Mac, he's given me pointers.

I love my Mac, have used them since I started with computers. Sometimes I have to use dh's PC laptop for work reasons, find it much less user-friendly.

Dangles
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I want a Mac....

bethany
05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Mac. Mac. Mac.

Ronda
05-07-2008, 09:30 AM
MS Office on a Mac?!

My job requires me to use MS Word. I have always purchased PCs (Dell, Gateway, Acer.) I'm like on my 5th or 6th computer in about 10 years! I want a Mac but I didn't think I could do my work on it! Are you all saying I'm wrong?!
Edit: Shoot. Just thought of something. I use multiple different programs to work, and I bet at least some of them wouldn't compatible. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Knit4Pie
05-07-2008, 09:37 AM
OK, everyone knows Windows sucks mud :teehee:, and since with the new, as usual UNFINISHED operating system they are going to force us to buy all new software (i.e. my old Office 97 won't work because Vista saves .doc into .docx instead.

Just wanted to say that I have Vista, and I'm using my Office 97 without a problem. Until reading that, I hadn't even heard of it being an issue?? Maybe it isn't supposed to work, but I don't have a problem with my personal documents and such.:shrug:

gotta knit
05-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Our year-old laptop runs Vista. I don't really know different and it seems to work.

My son tells me they use MS Office for Mac at school, but I couldn't find a download when I looked for it last week.
I do bookkeeping on Appleworks (Numbers on the newer Macs), but am also starting to work on the PC. Would be great if I could send files between the 2, since there's no $$$ for a new Macbook yet.

If anybody finds it please post where!

auburnchick
05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
You buy MS Office for Mac just like you do any other product. You can order it from the Apple site or buy it in an Apple store. I doubt that stores like Best Buy carry it.

gotta knit
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
How about a trial download? (I did this with MS Office for the laptop, while I decide if I'm switching over or not.)

I need to see if my spreadsheets translate accurately between the 2 systems, before actually buying it.

Shewhoknits
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
hi, I have a mac and so does all of my family. We love them. I work on compaq at work and would never ever have one at home. they are so easy to adjust to.

zkimom
05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
My MacBook came with a trial version of MS Office. I use MS Office on my IMac all the time.

I've been a Mac person since the very start. Only use PCs if I am forced to. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often :wink:

Oh, and most of the power graphics applications like Photoshop and Illustrator were Mac only when then were first developed.

momwolf
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
So do you need a Mac computer to use this?

cdjack
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
You buy MS Office for Mac just like you do any other product. You can order it from the Apple site or buy it in an Apple store. I doubt that stores like Best Buy carry it.

They sell both Macs and Mac software at Best Buy. They don't carry as much as The Apple Store, but they would have Office for Mac.

Ivy19
05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
MS Office on a Mac?!

Edit: Shoot. Just thought of something. I use multiple different programs to work, and I bet at least some of them wouldn't compatible. Grrrrrrrrrr.

You can always install a parallel desktop with windows if there are programs that you have to use for work and can't find for mac. Just a thought.;)