PDA

View Full Version : Felted bag inside out?

ScrappingMommy71
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi! I'm a newbie here! Also new to felting, but really love the 1 bag I have made! Working on another now! The pattern I have starts at the base and then picks up stitches and knits in the round...all one piece...all garter stitch until a little decrease at the top of bag. Well I'm not sure why, but it seems as though I am ending up with the wrong side out. The bumpy edges where I picked up stitches should end up on the inside of the bag. Then the bag should have the appearance of vertical knitting. Well I have the other side out...looks like horizontal rows. I hope this makes sense! I'd post a link to the pattern, but I took a class and it was a printed off pattern with no indication of a website. I hope one of you can tell me what am I doing wrong?! Thanks!

tokmom
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I do felted bags, and my pattern is stockinette on the outside. One time I had garter on the outside and never did figure out what I did wrong. It sounds like we did the same thing. I can't help you. but I hope someone has an answer.

Good luck with your bag and have fun felting!:)

HollyP
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
I had this problem too when I first start out. I was told it was from knitting on the inside of the ring instead of the outside. Your needles should be closest to you with the cable away from you. It's been compared to sipping from a cup. The needles should be where you sip from.

wednesday
05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
It all depends on whether you pick up stitches as if to knit or purl. I know this does not really make sense, but you may want to make a small swatch working in contrasting colors. Make 2 small squares in stockinette, then using a contrast color pick up stitches along one edge using a purl stitch, using the other piece holding it the same way pick up stitches using a purl stitch. You should see the difference, with the edge one way or the other.

the next bag you knit make sure that after you pick stitches you have everything turned the same way

Becky Morgan
05-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Go ahead and felt it, then turn it the other side out and see if you like it that way. The stitch definition won't be very great once it's felted anyhow. You'll get the right side to next time :)

mare-nitt
05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
When I made my first felted bag, I too knit it on the wrong side. I was knitting on the far edge of the circular needles.
I just turned the purse inside out and continued knitting with my knitting closest to me. It all worked out in the end.

ScrappingMommy71
05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all of the replies! I ended up pulling it out to where I picked up and tried again. I think maybe I had accidentally turned it and was going the wrong way?! Thanks Wednesday! I think I need to try that and make a little drawing and note for future purses! Hmm...now I am wondering if I will possibly get this bag done for my Mother-in-law...for Mother's Day!!!