PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting gauge right.

Alyce
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi, I posted this in another thread and it was suggested that I start a new thread.
I am knitting with Cascade "Fixation". It has a lot of elastic in it and I don't seem to be able to get my gauge right. I did the first swatch on 6s and my second swatch on 5s. I need 4 stitches to the inch and on a 4" swatch I am getting 51/2 instead of 4. When I went down a needle size my swatch is only about 1/2" smaller than with the 6s.
If I have to go down 2 more sizes, is that alright...will it affect my finished project.:shrug:

threesmom
05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I checked the recommended gauge on Fixation, and it is DK weight, giving you normally what you are getting - about 5 stitches an inch. The good news is your gauge is exactly right with the yarn you are using! The problem might be trying to make it work with your pattern, since it sounds like the pattern is calling for worsted weight. I am a little confused though - is your swatch measuring 51/2 inches, or are you getting 5.5 stitches per inch? If you want less stitches per inch, you want bigger needles - that should give you less.

HTH

suzeeq
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
You might want to knit a larger size pattern with the gauge you're currently getting. If you go up needle sizes to get gauge, it might be too loose a knit. You could try size 8s and see how that works.