PDA

View Full Version : Invitation for KAL of the Egeblad & Other Circular Lace Beauties

Pages : [1] 2

mwhite
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Several of us have started or finished this gorgeous doily and made it into centerpieces or blankets.

http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/egeblad.html

I am working on an extension for anyone wanting to make it larger than the original 87 rounds. Have also counted the stitches per round since the original pattern doesn't have this info.

You'll need double pointed needles or circulars and the pattern has lots of lacy stitch directions. Not difficult at all. If you'd like to learn lace, this is a good one to learn on. Guage is not extremely important and the possibilities are endless. This would be a wonderful gift for anyone as a doily, tablecloth or blanket.

Hope you'll join us! :muah:

Ingrid
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm almost done making Alita http://www.yarnover.net/images/alita.jpg in worsted weight yarn and really enjoyed making it. I just have to finish the edging.

The Egeblad is definitely on my list to do in worsted, as well. I have a couple of things to finish, so hopefully this will still be going when I'm ready to jump in!

mwhite
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh yes, the Alita is on my list as well!
Did you see this one:http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fleegle/tischdecke-afghan

Awesome! I think I've become a lace fanatic!

1to1
05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Mary, I can't wait to see your completed Egeblad with the extended pattern.

Ingrid, Please post pics when you are finished. I'm curious to see how big yours will be using worsted weight.

I'm on Rnd 60 of the Alita...it was suppose to be a Mother's Day gift for MIL but I don't see that happening. I'm using Cascade EcoWool with Size 10 needles.

I really enjoy making these into Doily Throws...they are beautiful!!

I just wanted to share a pic of my completed Eceblad.

mwhite
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
It's absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing this!

The one I'm doing to test the extensions is out of an inexpensive(cheap), cotton slub yarn, about a size 10 and using size 2 needles so it will look alot smaller than yours. I wanted to make sure that the extensions were right before I do one in a worsted weight or spent alot of bucks on a nicer yarn. It's looking okay, can't really tell with it being a bag right now.:teehee:

Ingrid
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
These are just too beautiful to wait for. I'll have to go through my stash to at least get started :cheering:

DudeWithSticks
05-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Mary, I can't wait to see your completed Egeblad with the extended pattern.

Ingrid, Please post pics when you are finished. I'm curious to see how big yours will be using worsted weight.

I'm on Rnd 60 of the Alita...it was suppose to be a Mother's Day gift for MIL but I don't see that happening. I'm using Cascade EcoWool with Size 10 needles.

I really enjoy making these into Doily Throws...they are beautiful!!

I just wanted to share a pic of my completed Eceblad.

It came out beautiful! I hope mine looks 1/8 of what yours looks like. And I'll be extremely happy!
I'm in Mary! Thanks for starting it. YAY. I'll have to start it when I get back. Hmmmm what color... I have a few colors to try it out it.
What do you peeps think? Lighter or darker?

gargoylelib
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Woohoo! Glad you started this up because my mom chose Egeblad
as the pattern she wanted me to make up and I'm getting ready
to start. I plan to do a test knit to make it just as a doily first then
make it as a blanket so I look forward to seeing your extensions!

Libbie :)

Minou
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I've knitted 77 rounds so far in Beaverslide McTaggart Tweeds. I just added my third 4.5oz skein on round 76 so I think I'll have enough to finish. It should last until round 89 according to my calculations and there are only 87. It's getting really big! I have about 36" so far so it will finish at maybe 42" unblocked.

I would recommend doing this in Eco, Beaverslide or another heavier weight yarn instead of worsted because it's a lovely textured pattern and it goes so fast! I think this will end up costing $27 to make, which is awesome for a lace blanket.

I'm hoping I can finish and block this weekend!

mwhite
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh Goodie!!! I WANNA SEE!!!! Great bargain, too! What size needles are you using?

My experimental extended Egeblad continues.... on round 62, final approach! Only 25 more to gooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I'll explain the "final approach" soon. I think it's going to be just fine with the extensions.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
It came out beautiful! I hope mine looks 1/8 of what yours looks like. And I'll be extremely happy!
I'm in Mary! Thanks for starting it. YAY. I'll have to start it when I get back. Hmmmm what color... I have a few colors to try it out it.
What do you peeps think? Lighter or darker?

I vote for lighter! :flirt: :flirt: Glad you've taken time away from your tropical trip to join in! :muah:

Karina
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Cant wait to see a photo of the finished egeblad. is this a practice run or the real deal for you.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Woohoo! Glad you started this up because my mom chose Egeblad
as the pattern she wanted me to make up and I'm getting ready
to start. I plan to do a test knit to make it just as a doily first then
make it as a blanket so I look forward to seeing your extensions!

YAY!!! :cheering: :cheering: Mom has GREAT taste! I have the extensions written up and will post them this evening!

mwhite
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
If you have any questions, let me know!

May 6, 2008

Extension of Egeblad

Rounds 1-81 Use original pattern
For rounds not noted Knit
Increase rounds have total number of sts in ()
The extension rounds will increase the pattern stitches double and the Egeblad will have 40 points upon completion with a total of 720 stitches.

Ext Round 82: *K6, yo, k3, yo, k6 (340 sts)
Ext Round 84: ->5 *Yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, k5, sk2p, k4
Ext Round 86: *Yo, k3, yo, k2, (yo, k3) x 2, sk2p, k3 (380 sts)
Ext Round 88: *Yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k3, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, k3, sk2p, k2
Ext Round 90: *Yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k6, yo, skp, k2, yo, k1, sk2p, k1
Ext Round 92: *Yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k8, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, sk2p
Ext Round 94: *Yo, k2, skp, yo, k10, yo, skp, k2, yo, k1 (420 sts)
Ext Round 96: *K1, yo, sk2p, yo, k1, yo, k2, skp, k6, yo, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k2 (440 sts)
Ext Round 98: ->3 *Yo, k4, yo, k4, yo, skp, k4, yo, k4, yo, k4(520 sts)
Ext Round 100: *Yo, k5, yo, k2, sk2p, k3
Ext Round 101: Knit

After Ext Round 101, return to original pattern row 52. Follow pattern from row 52 to row 87.

Minou
05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Right now it's a blobbo but I took a photo to show the chunkiness and uploaded it to Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/egeblad I'm knitting this on 10's, but when I do the next one, I think I'll use 10.5's. The McTaggart Tweeds are very hearty. The last one I did was a Fisherman weight and I used US9's, but the non-MT fisherman weight yarns are a little lighter. It's going to be much more open when I finish, but it's squished onto a 60" cable and I couldn't really spread it out for a nice photo op.

On Ravelry, the photo of the yarn is a true color shot. The indoor photos of my Egeblad look like pea soup, but it's much lovelier than that.

For the extension rounds, do you go back to 52 or 82 after the extra round 101?

-Rebecca

mwhite
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Right now it's a blobbo but I took a photo to show the chunkiness and uploaded it to Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/egeblad I'm knitting this on 10's, but when I do the next one, I think I'll use 10.5's. The McTaggart Tweeds are very hearty. The last one I did was a Fisherman weight and I used US9's, but the non-MT fisherman weight yarns are a little lighter. It's going to be much more open when I finish, but it's squished onto a 60" cable and I couldn't really spread it out for a nice photo op.

On Ravelry, the photo of the yarn is a true color shot. The indoor photos of my Egeblad look like pea soup, but it's much lovelier than that.

For the extension rounds, do you go back to 52 or 82 after the extra round 101?

-Rebecca

Yes, I actually had to backtrack and go back to round 32 in order to pick up stitches that increased, then moved onto round 51, changing and counting as I went to make sure I had the sts to knit on. If this makes any sense. At any rate, by round 50 or Ext Round 100 there were twice the sts on the needles and that makes it possible to pick up at 52 and begin the "final approach".

Let me make sure I've explained this correctly...
Knit using the original pattern from rows 1 through 81
Then start using the "Extension" pattern from Extension Round 82 through 101.
Now, return to the original pattern row 52 and follow through to row 87, binding off per instructions.

Please note:
The original pattern has a total of 20 scallops or points when completed.

Using the original pattern rows + extended rounds + original pattern rows will end with a total of 40 scallops or points.

In order to figure guage, you'll need to do a swatch, paying attention to the row guage, instead of st guage and double it because it is circular. Row guage should help you figure the size per the number of rounds knitted.

The original pattern has 87 rounds.
The extended pattern has 135 rounds.

Hope I made this clearer without confusing anyone.

Ingrid
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I cast on this morning "just to see" and now I'm on round 47 or so. Thank you so much for figuring out the extensions. I'll probably work this until I run out of yarn. Here's what I have so far.

I also pulled out the Alita, which is knit in Dreams in Color yarn. I'm adding a knitted edge from another pattern, and that seems to be taking forever even though it's only 8 stitches across. I'll have to make myself do a certain number of inches (feet?) each day.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Both gorgeous! What size needles? I keep asking this because once I get off the size 2s, I'll be good and ready to use some larger!

mwhite
05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
However! I keep seeing this delicious "Lace Sample" advertisement at the top of the page from Knitpicks and eventhough it would take using the smaller needles, the "Sunset Picnic" keeps calling my name. mary, mary, aren't we inviting? Wouldn't you just love to run us through your fingers? LOL!

Ingrid
05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I used a 9 with the green one, and am using 8 with the Egeblad, mostly because my long 9's are still tied up. :shifty:

Really, though, the 8's are working out great.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Both have great stitch definition! Thanks!

gargoylelib
05-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Thank you for the extensions! I plan to cast on tonight for my
egeblad doily and I'll use the extensions on that as well. I thought
it would make a nice gift actually, the doily for a table top and
the lap blanket :) I just finished test knitting the doily with spiral
and need to block it so I'm ready to get another project underway.
Oh no! I said I would never get into knitting lace.....what happened??

Btw, Ingrid, I love that green on your Alita!!

Karina
05-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Libbie I agree it is very addictive.

Minou I love your egeblad, think the pattern looks better in thicker yarn than as a doily. post pix when blocked.

Ingrid love your egeblad and alita both looks great. what yarn have you been using for them.

Mary thanks for posting the extension.

Am now playing the waiting game until my yarn arrives. Probably will be a couple of weeks as it will have to go through customs.

1to1
05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Mary, :muah::hug:THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :hug::muah:i really appreciate it!!!

Rebecca, your Eceblad is turning out great.

Ingrid, OMG your Alita is beautiful!!! I can't wait to finish mine.

Have any of you actually knitted a small doily? I've crocheted a couple but not knitted one.

Minou
05-10-2008, 12:28 AM
It's done! I still have to block it but I finished the knitting tonight. I have to say, I am in mad love with the crochet bind off. It took me about an hour to do it! I only chained 5 instead of 8 and it looks good.

I did the original pattern rounds (88) and it's 44" unblocked!

I've never knitted a small doily. I've knitted other lace, but always with sock yarn. I like the process of knitting lace designs and the texture of the fabric, but not dainty white lace.

Karina
05-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Well done, lets see some photos. please

Minou
05-10-2008, 03:08 AM
Unblocked photos off the needles are on Ravelry! I am going to wet block this one for sure, so I won't have photos of the final product until tomorrow night at the earliest. It's much less beret-shaped than the Hemlock and actually resembles a blanket already. :)

Karina
05-10-2008, 04:44 AM
That looks beautiful, even without blocking.

i was wondering how silk blocks. is it worth trying one of these in a silk yarn. would you have to use bigger needles or smaller to make allowances for the yarn not being as flexible as wool?

Minou
05-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting question. I don't know how many bulky silk yarns there are, but I went and read a bunch of reviews on Knitter's Review, just to see how silk behaves in blends. The general consensus is it has no elasticity at all and generally "blocks" to the same shape it was knitted. However, if you get wool in the mix, the wool is elastic and may need some blocking. Alpaca doesn't block either, so a blend that uses alpaca is going to be more difficult to shape. Also, some silk yarns are textured and splitty, but the more tightly spun yarns show gauge changes clearly. Lace hides that better than stockinette, but it's still something to consider.

I think it also depends on what you want the blanket for. I wanted a warm tv-watching blanket, so fluffy wool is absolutely perfect. It keeps me warm and the holes aren't an issue because the more solid parts of the blanket trap heat so effectively. I plan to use my blanket and not just display it. Some silk blends are much more fragile and susceptible to pilling. If you can't find a bulky blend, you'll use a fair amount of yarn and it could be expensive.

On the plus side for silk, it's shimmery and drapes and is luscious. Clara's reviews were so wonderful that I wanted to rush out and buy some silk yarns, but she never talked about a lace blanket on this scale, mostly due to the expense. Something like Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran would possibly be a good yarn to try, but even at Webs, it's $9 a ball and you'd need 7 or more balls to make a blanket.

If you try silk, I'd love to hear your opinions of it, especially for a project like this. I swoon over balls of silk yarn at my LYS but it's always so spendy. I have champagne tastes on a tap water budget. :)

Karina
05-10-2008, 01:55 PM
This is the silk yarn that I have, bought of ebay. so not expensive and have five hanks of it. thought i could use it for this project just to see if it would work, as long as it will lay flat when done. can't wait for my yarn to arrive in a couple of weeks. I want to start one of these now.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310039959942&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=021 it is the grey yarn at 4.99

Minou
05-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow, is that 100% silk? It looks like lovely yarn and I was swooning over some of the other colors that seller had. I think if you start knitting the center, you'll get an idea of how the silk is going to handle the pattern.

If you try different gauges, will you take photos to share? I'm really intrigued now. :)

Karina
05-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Will do, first I have to wind the yarn into a ball then I will play.

Ingrid
05-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I just started row 100 of the extension. Whew! There are a lot of stitches in each round. These doilies are deceiving. The beginning goes so fast, and then when you get to the long rounds, :eyes:! I think this is why I never did one in thin yarn. All those stitches for a doily?

As for the extension pattern, all I can say is :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::muah:

Karina
05-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Wow that was fast. 36 rows to go can't wait to see the completed egeblad with extension. would also like to see progress photo if poss.

Mary is very talented to have been able to do this.

I haven't really started yet just playing around with yarn and needle size to see what I like.

Minou
05-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok, it's blocked. I have it drying right now, but I took a ton of pictures of the entire blocking process and posted it on my blog. http://minou14.livejournal.com/9873.html

It came out at exactly 48" using the original pattern. I am in LOVE!

Karina
05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Minou what a great job you did. I will save your blog page and use it for reference in the future. Your egeblad is beautiful. Such a great idea of using the two plastic totes inside each other. will have to see if I can find something similar over here.

dustinac
05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
:inlove: wow they are all stunning! Thank you Mary for the extension...I've been waiting for one to start this...also I have always wanted to make this (http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/storrund.html)one but never had a need for doilies...I'm going to try it too...as soon as I can...right now my knitting needles seem to be very busy :rofl:

Karina
05-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I think I will have one or another on the needles for a long time to come. I would not really like to make them as doilies but I love them as blankets.

Ingrid
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok, it's blocked. I have it drying right now, but I took a ton of pictures of the entire blocking process and posted it on my blog. http://minou14.livejournal.com/9873.html

Wow! I may have to invest in more pins.

Thanks for sharing!

gargoylelib
05-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Wow, Minou, your Egeblad came out beautiful! Thank you for
going over your blocking procedure because I'm still very much a
novice when it comes to lace and that really helped alot! I think
I can do this :)

I'm in the middle of my test knit with lace weight yarn and like
the pattern so far. My doily is going to be black because that is
what I had in my stash so might look a bit odd but oh well!

mwhite
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Just love the blanket and your "Blocking Tutorial"! Thanks a bunch~ :muah: :muah:

mwhite
05-13-2008, 10:50 AM
:eyes: :?? :oo: :wall: :waah: YIKES! Doing the k1,p1,k1,p1,k1 in the 5 yos is driving me batty! Kinda tricky! It's either my inexperience with the technique or a fussy, impatient husband getting on my last nerve! :tap: :pout: :roll:

mwhite
05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Alrighty then! I got it!!! Don'tcha just love how I question and answer myself? LOLOL! Slowly and carefully, one stitch at the time!!!

Minou
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Those 5 yo's made me crazy too. It wasn't until I was halfway through that I started wondering if the Hemlock Ring version would also work. Make two or three yo's and then drop all but one before doing the k1,p1's. Either way you end up with a bigger hole than a single yo would give. The Egeblad way gave me sort of lumpy hole edges that weren't such a problem on the Hemlock.

Are you finding the same thing?

Karina
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Please don't tell me that the bind off is the same as the Hemlock, have not looked that far in the pattern.

mwhite
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Those 5 yo's made me crazy too. It wasn't until I was halfway through that I started wondering if the Hemlock Ring version would also work. Make two or three yo's and then drop all but one before doing the k1,p1's. Either way you end up with a bigger hole than a single yo would give. The Egeblad way gave me sort of lumpy hole edges that weren't such a problem on the Hemlock.

Are you finding the same thing?

Haven't finished the hemlock yet... so not sure but am using two totally different fibers. The hemlock is a soft medium weight worsted cotton/acrylic and the egeblad is this tiny #10 slub cotton so I know the egeblad will be rougher. I just need to finish SOMETHING! LOL! I'm on round 83, so soooooooon! :thumbsup:

mwhite
05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Please don't tell me that the bind off is the same as the Hemlock, have not looked that far in the pattern.

I don't think so, the Egeblad has a crocheted bind off. I still need to finish and bind off my Hemlock. So little time.....I seriously envy the Yarn Harlot's solitary mountain cabin routine!

MMario
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Another option is to [k1, YO, k1, Yo, k1] into the single yo - this gives a nice smooth edge to the hole.

Minou
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Mary,

I was thinking of using the same technique we use in the center flower portion of the Hemlock ring to create the bases of the petals. Instead of nine increases in the double yo, do five to make the peacock eyes in the border of the Egeblad. I think the point of the extra yo's in the Hemlock is to give enough room to work those increases. I don't know that it really makes that much difference to have to work those stitches actually in separate yo's like the Egeblad pattern says to. When I used heavier wool, it left these annoying lumps at the bases of my stitches.

Karina,

The Egeblad bindoff is very easy. Crochet goes quickly and it's just making chains. I used single crochet and then made chains of five since eight was leaving HUGE loops around the edge and I didn't like the look of it.

http://baxterknits.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-work-crochet-chain-bind-off.html

I also found a very good photo tutorial in Marianne Kinzel's First Book of Modern Lace Knitting. If you have any questions on how to do it, let me know and I'll go through the steps in more detail. When I did it, it says to slip the knit stitches off the needle after you've done the single crochet to bind them together. I actually left them on the needle and kept working along the cable until I made 5-8 scallops and then slipped them off all at once. It's easier than working right at the edge of the needle. I used a smaller hook than what I knitted with, like about 1mm smaller, and it worked great.

dustinac
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Do you guys think Caron Simply Soft would work on these..I prolly couldn't block it though hrmmm? I made the Hemlock out of 100% wool and it was costly for me...and I'd like to make more for Christmas gifts so I want them to be easy to care for and not break my budget... :rofl:

mwhite
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I really think with light starch, the acrylic will work for the Egeblad but not the Hemlock. The Egeblad lays out unblocked, aside from the texture. Mine's done now and will start blocking tomorrow.

Ingrid
05-15-2008, 10:37 PM
:cheering: It's done! I just finished the crochet bind off--so much easer than binding off 900+ stitches :ick:. I wish I had done this on the other one, but it's too late now. Live and learn.

I probably won't get to block it until the weekend, but I'll try to get a good picture in tomorrow's light of day.

Minou
05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Isn't it wonderful? I love the crochet bind off! I'm getting ready to cast on for Alita, but I think I'll be making another Egeblad in yellow, possibly at the same time. They will be different gauges so I won't have a needle conflict. Right now a Baby Surprise Jacket is hogging the needles I need for Alita. :)

I can't wait to see how yours looks blocked, especially with the pattern extensions!

gargoylelib
05-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Has anyone done one of theses doily blankets in a cotton yarn?
Does it block out nicely with the lace patterns? I did a test knit
of another doily pattern with some mercerized cotton I had and liked
the result but it doesn't have too much intricate lace detailing. Just
a large spiral in the center and then a lace edging. Is cotton ok for
the more intricate patterning in Egeblad?

Thanks!
Libbie --- still slowly working on my Egeblad test knit.

Karina
05-16-2008, 04:50 AM
I think Mary did one in a cotton mix but not sure. I thought originally all these doilies was done in a cotton crochet type of yarn. I have a knitting magazine with doilies and they all seems to be made with cotton or cotton metallic thread suitable for crochet.

Karina
05-16-2008, 05:37 AM
I just received my order of Cascade Eco wool:woohoo: :woohoo: and the customs let it go through with out charging me a fortune:cheering:

Now how to let DH know I bought yet more yarn:aww:

mwhite
05-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I just received my order of Cascade Eco wool:woohoo: :woohoo: and the customs let it go through with out charging me a fortune:cheering:

Now how to let DH know I bought yet more yarn:aww:

Make him his favorite food! :flirt: Rub his back! Talk sweet! :psst: :teehee:

mwhite
05-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I think Mary did one in a cotton mix but not sure. I thought originally all these doilies was done in a cotton crochet type of yarn. I have a knitting magazine with doilies and they all seems to be made with cotton or cotton metallic thread suitable for crochet.

That's right! Mine's done out of about a #10 slub cotton/rayon mix. Very tiny and used size 2 needles. Mine's done :woohoo: but I still need to block it. Was gonna work on blocking last night but couldn't find any pins...sad for someone that's supposed to be a seamstress but they must still be packed from our move.

mwhite
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Has anyone done one of theses doily blankets in a cotton yarn?
Does it block out nicely with the lace patterns? I did a test knit
of another doily pattern with some mercerized cotton I had and liked
the result but it doesn't have too much intricate lace detailing. Just
a large spiral in the center and then a lace edging. Is cotton ok for
the more intricate patterning in Egeblad?

Thanks!
Libbie --- still slowly working on my Egeblad test knit.

I think the Egeblad will do just fine in a cotton. All of the ones I've seen were done in cotton or linen. You may need to light/medium starch it. Mom, who's done quite a few crocheted tablecloths and doilies always uses the fine crochet cotton and does the starch, says to use Niagra Spray Starch. She says that it does not have acids that will damage the fibers and will keep it blocked.

mwhite
05-17-2008, 08:21 AM
TA DA!!! She is done! I am so pleased with this and can't wait to finish another!!! :cheering: :woot:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_009-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/009-1.jpg)

Karina
05-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Come on, don't be shy. Tell us all about it. How big is it? how much yarn did you use. want to know all about it.

You did a great job Mary, Must be a wonderfull feeling to complete something that you did have a hand in designing. It looks stunning.

mwhite
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
She's 36", used size 2 needles and #10 slub cotton/rayon. I have no earthly idea how much yarn it took. I found a 2400 yard cone in my stash and the cone could probably make 3 more of them! Sorry to be so slack on the info, just really did this one to make sure the extensions would work and they did!!! I just love it and can't wait to show it to my Mom. She does gorgeous, crocheted ones and is so tickled that one of her daughters has been bitten by the "needlework bug"!

merryknitter
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Mary,
That is truly beautiful! I have some questions for you. Did you knit with double points or two circulars? If you did knit with double points, do you think I could knit it with 2 circs?

Also, I don't understand what ->5 means in row 34...could you explain that to me?

I have some yarn from Knitpicks, called shimmer hand dyed lace that I have in my stash....it's 70% alpaca and 30 % silk...what size needle would I need for that....maybe a 3 or 4?

I realize I've asked a lot of questions...and I haven't even started...LOL!
TIA,
Merry

mwhite
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Merryknitter,
Thanks and to answer your questions:

That is truly beautiful! I have some questions for you. Did you knit with double points or two circulars? If you did knit with double points, do you think I could knit it with 2 circs? I started mine with dpns, then as it got larger, switched to 16", 24" and then 32" circulars. I'm sure you can do it with the two circulars but I've never used that method and you'd need to converse with someone who has or consult the videos.

Also, I don't understand what ->5 means in row 34...could you explain that to me? You will have a marker at the beginning. When you get to a round that has this, you'll remove the marker, knit the number of stitches it shows, replace the marker, then knit the round. I actually "jogs" the pattern over so that it centers properly as you progress.

I have some yarn from Knitpicks, called shimmer hand dyed lace that I have in my stash....it's 70% alpaca and 30 % silk...what size needle would I need for that....maybe a 3 or 4? A lace weight will be gorgeous in this and you may need to do a test swatch to see if these sizes will suit. I think they will and I've been eyeballing a lace weight for this myself!!! The extensions I did made mine 36" on size 2 needles with the #10 cotton... the laceweight and #3s or 4s might possibly come out to around 42" or so. You'd need to check your row guage and double it to get the diameter. I got around 14 rows per inch on the 2s with the #10 cotton.

I don't mind the questions at all! Get to knittin and enjoy! It's not really a difficult pattern... just has alot of YOs.

merryknitter
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks so much Mary! Wow...that was fast! I have only been knitting 1 and a half years and I LOVE it! I've always wanted to knit doilies! They are so beautiful! Thanks so much for explaining row 34 to me. That's the only frustrating thing I've found in knitting...when I don't understand the pattern! LOL! But, that's the fun of it too...learning something new all the time! I've knit a lot of things and am looking forward to learning more!
Thanks again! I may have some more questions for you....if I start this! Hope you don't mind!
Thanks,
Merry :)

Minou
05-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Mary,

I just finished translating the original pattern for Egeblad from German to English. I have it in Christine Duchrow's Lace Knitting Patterns Vol III. In it, she says rounds 52-63 are the same as 64-75. You can make a smaller version of the doily by omitting 64-75 and going right into 76. When you worked on the extension, did you try repeating only that section or did things not line up right? I was wondering if it would be possible to use that logic in reverse and just extend the leafy portion further and further by repeating 64-75 until it was big enough before starting into round 76. I'm probably missing something with the increases though.

I'm working on Alita right now in Cascade 220 held double and I may have to cut it short because I'll run out of yarn. I hope I make it to a good point to stop! Then my Mom wants me to knit Egeblad for her in some Beaverslide we ordered. Now that I finished the Baby Surprise, I'm loving all of my lace knitting again!

-Rebecca

Karina
05-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Merryknitter - at the moment I am just playing around with yarn and am using the magic loop method of knitting. and that works well. If you are not familiar with that method of knitting Amy has a video in the video section on this site.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your progress in the lace weight yarn. what will the finished Egeblad be used for?

mwhite
05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Mary,

I just finished translating the original pattern for Egeblad from German to English. I have it in Christine Duchrow's Lace Knitting Patterns Vol III. In it, she says rounds 52-63 are the same as 64-75. You can make a smaller version of the doily by omitting 64-75 and going right into 76. When you worked on the extension, did you try repeating only that section or did things not line up right? I was wondering if it would be possible to use that logic in reverse and just extend the leafy portion further and further by repeating 64-75 until it was big enough before starting into round 76. I'm probably missing something with the increases though. -Rebecca

When I started working on the extensions, had to make a decision to either make the leaf sections larger or double them. Rounds 52-75 don't have any increases so that's why you can eliminate them. I didn't want the leaf sections to overpower the eyes so I chose to just double them. In the long run, I prefer the original pattern but the size didn't suit my purpose. Most circular patterns that have 8 as a multiplier increase at least every 3rd or 4th round... not so for this one but except for 52-75, increased just about every other round. I think the leaf section is open enough that it doesn't create problems with the radius. The Hemlock, on the other hand, I know doesn't have enough increases as it has to be forced for blocking. All of the original patterns were done using cottons or blends so that would explain their sizing.

merryknitter
05-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Karina,
I think I would use it for a doily in my house somewhere...I love doilies!
Merry :)

gargoylelib
05-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Mary, your finished doily looks so nice! I really like the way you did
the extension as another section of leaves. Thank you so much for
writing it up!

Merry, I did my doily on 2 circulars and had no problems! I actually
left on the 2 circs until I was just over halfway done and then
transferred it onto one. I only had 2 80 cm needles so had to wait
until there were enough stitches that I could get in onto the one
without too much stretching.

Ok, here's my pics of the finished doily (almost, need to sew in my ends).
I did it without the extensions because I needed to get it finished and
start a couple of bday projects for some friends that I had sort of
forgotten about in all my lace knitting excitement hehe...there is just not
enough time!!

Pic with flash on-looks a bit washed out:
http://flickr.com/photos/gargoylelib/2507529047/

Pic with no flash looks better but is blurry:
http://flickr.com/photos/gargoylelib/2508356724/

As you can see, photography is not my forte hehe...

Karina
05-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Libby that is very beautiful and dramatic in the black. I also like the spiral doily that you have a photo of. great work.

gargoylelib
05-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks Karina! I did it in black because that was the only lace
weight yarn I had in my stash and since it was just supposed to
be a test knit I didn't want to buy more. I wasn't sure how the
pattern would work in a dark color but I have to say I like
it! Now I have to decide what color to do the blanket in haha...

The spiral doily is from the same website as egeblad...it is just
called "Doily with Spiral". I am making that one as a blanket for
myself because I prefer the simpler pattern.

mwhite
05-20-2008, 07:27 AM
OOOoooo, Libbie! I LOVE the black! Very seductive!! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: And very rough on the eyes, I'm sure! The Spiral is soooo pretty!!! :inlove:

Minou
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Libbie,

What yarn are you using for your Spiral blanket? I'd love to know how large that one turns out. It's in my Ravelry queue as a possible blanket. I'm 24" into my Alita blanket! (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/alita)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89423755@N00/2508015716/

I got a big box of Beaverslide wool yesterday so I can make the Egeblad for my mom next. I think Egeblad is going to be one of my favorites. The background is solid enough to make a good blanket and the leaves are so organic and interesting.

gargoylelib
05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
OOOoooo, Libbie! I LOVE the black! Very seductive!! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: And very rough on the eyes, I'm sure! The Spiral is soooo pretty!!! :inlove:

Thanks Mary! DH was all excited at first when he saw the black
because I was using red stitch markers and he thought they were
part of the pattern and that I was making some black widow spider
web thingee...hehe Hmmm...might be something to think about!

Libbie,

What yarn are you using for your Spiral blanket? I'd love to know how large that one turns out. It's in my Ravelry queue as a possible blanket. I'm 24" into my Alita blanket! (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/alita)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89423755@N00/2508015716/

I got a big box of Beaverslide wool yesterday so I can make the Egeblad for my mom next. I think Egeblad is going to be one of my favorites. The background is solid enough to make a good blanket and the leaves are so organic and interesting.

I love the color of that yarn for your Alita! I'm looking for something
along those lines to do the Egeblad for my mom. She wanted
something dark but natural looking and not black haha... I haven't
decided what yarn I'll use for the spiral blanket. I used a dk weight
and size 4.5mm for the test knit and it came out about 35 inches.
And another bonus the pattern would be quite easy to extend. The
center spiral pattern is very simple and so one would just have to
make sure to have a compatible stitch count when starting the
edging pattern. I'll be using either Novita 7 Veljesta or Novita
Isoveli which is worsted weighted or bulky. Just can't decide!

mwhite
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
:teehee: DHs are soooo funny sometimes!

I've ordered the Marianne Kinzel books!!! There's supposed to be an oval tablecloth pattern in it that'll fit mine and daughter's tables. I'm ready to start another doily and having the hardest time deciding... better wait for the books and work on another Egeblad in the original size til then... gotta finish binding off my Hemlock first....ARGHHHHHHHHHH! I think I'm hopelessly addicted to lace doily patterns! I sure do hope they let you knit in heaven! :angelgrin:

Minou, I just LOVE the Alita!!!:hug:

Minou
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
This loden green heather Cascade 220 was originally going to be a Hemlock Ring for myself. Then I fell in love with the lighter green I used for my Egeblad. Now the Alita is destined to be a gift for a friend. These doily patterns are so much fun that I almost don't want to repeat any of them. I'm a process knitter for sure and I like having every row be a new adventure.

Mary,

I have both Marianne Kinzel books. She has a really nice daffodil doily pattern that I'd like to try. I'm not sure I'll have enough yarn for it, but I like the look of it. I'm definitely ignoring her comments in the intro about knitting in the lace tradition. Apparently anything with colors other than ecru or white, or using thicker yarns is a no-no. Her second book acknowledges wool, but otherwise she's all about the lace-weight cotton. Granted, the books are from the 50's. :)

I also got an eBay purchase from Germany yesterday. It's chock full of Niebling patterns. Item #250247265109 on eBay! I'm seriously going to have to learn German. Between this and the Christine Duchrow books, there are so many great patterns but I need to do a lot of translation first. For anyone who is swooning over Niebling patterns like Lyra, seriously be prepared to do a lot of work - first to get the pattern and then to figure it out. These things make the Hemlock Ring look like a dishcloth.

FYI, if anyone is interested, the book of Niebling patterns is available as item #50240733162.

mwhite
05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
This loden green heather Cascade 220 was originally going to be a Hemlock Ring for myself. Then I fell in love with the lighter green I used for my Egeblad. Now the Alita is destined to be a gift for a friend. These doily patterns are so much fun that I almost don't want to repeat any of them. I'm a process knitter for sure and I like having every row be a new adventure.

Mary,

I have both Marianne Kinzel books. She has a really nice daffodil doily pattern that I'd like to try. I'm not sure I'll have enough yarn for it, but I like the look of it. I'm definitely ignoring her comments in the intro about knitting in the lace tradition. Apparently anything with colors other than ecru or white, or using thicker yarns is a no-no. Her second book acknowledges wool, but otherwise she's all about the lace-weight cotton. Granted, the books are from the 50's. :)

I also got an eBay purchase from Germany yesterday. It's chock full of Niebling patterns. Item #250247265109 on eBay! I'm seriously going to have to learn German. Between this and the Christine Duchrow books, there are so many great patterns but I need to do a lot of translation first. For anyone who is swooning over Niebling patterns like Lyra, seriously be prepared to do a lot of work - first to get the pattern and then to figure it out. These things make the Hemlock Ring look like a dishcloth.

FYI, if anyone is interested, the book of Niebling patterns is available as item #50240733162.

LOL! I was showing my mother some of the beautiful blankets you and others have done with the wools and she was like...."Why would anyone make a doily into a blanket with wool, no less?" I got the feeling she was in the same mindframe as Ms. Kinzel. Mom is 75, so that's about right. I'm swooning over all the German patterns but will have to rent a cabin, deep in the north woods away from any form of verbal/physical life to concentrate and be able to figure them out. :roll:

Karina
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Minou your Alita is lovely if it is already two feet across how big do you think it will be when finished? 5 foot or so?

Minou
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure. When I use Beaverslide wool, 90 rounds is about 4 feet. I made a Hemlock Ring with Cascade 220 held double, like I am with the Alita, and 4 1/2 skeins made 42". I think with 6 skeins, I'll end at a little over four feet. If I did the entire pattern, I think it would end around 65".

Egeblad and the Hemlock blocked very differently and I think this one will be more like Egeblad - what you see is nearly what you get.

ArtLady1981
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Again, I repeat myself! This Egeblad is DIVINE! I will watch for completed projects!

Minou
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
LOL! I was showing my mother some of the beautiful blankets you and others have done with the wools and she was like...."Why would anyone make a doily into a blanket with wool, no less?" I got the feeling she was in the same mindframe as Ms. Kinzel.

I can certainly understand this point of view when you're discussing preserving the art of true lace. However, I think so many of these patterns are scrumptious in heavier wool. I have zero use for little white doilies all over my house, but a spring green lap blanket that keeps me warm and makes me smile whenever I see it is wonderfully useful. Wool is not just for sweaters and lace is not just for grandma's coffee table. I use sock yarn to make lace scarves too. For my own enjoyment, if I put all of this work into a project, I want beautiful patterns and delicious yarns right out where they can be seen and touched and not under a vase or stuck in a shoe. Besides, tiny little needles hurt my hands. :)

I love knitting these blankets so much I literally need to schedule time to set down the wool and do something else. Otherwise I'd knit all day. I've knit through almost two skeins of Cascade 220 today on the Alita. I'm up to round 71 and I'm down to only three skeins of yarn left. Erg. I ordered it from Webs and I'm almost certain it will be impossible to get the same dyelot. Alita has a lot of stockinette, which is great for a blanket but it uses more yarn.

Lisa1216
05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
WOW...I totally missed the start of this KAL!! I haven't been on the forums for a while except for the few threads that I have subscribed to. All of the Egeblads are beautiful!! :inlove:

I'm still back on the Hemlock Ring KAL trying to get it bound off! Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can finally be done with it! I'd like to start the Egeblad next.

Beautiful work everyone!

mwhite
05-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Lisa and welcome!! Get yer blob bound off and join us!!! My blob(Hemlock Ring) is waiting patiently while I get over that horrendous and time consuming BO for me to block it. I told it(the blob), as I was toiling on the bo, that if it would cooperate, I'd try to get it blocked this weekend. The Egeblad is such a pretty piece and is lots of fun to do.

mwhite
05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I can certainly understand this point of view when you're discussing preserving the art of true lace. However, I think so many of these patterns are scrumptious in heavier wool. I have zero use for little white doilies all over my house, but a spring green lap blanket that keeps me warm and makes me smile whenever I see it is wonderfully useful. Wool is not just for sweaters and lace is not just for grandma's coffee table. I use sock yarn to make lace scarves too. For my own enjoyment, if I put all of this work into a project, I want beautiful patterns and delicious yarns right out where they can be seen and touched and not under a vase or stuck in a shoe. Besides, tiny little needles hurt my hands. :)

I love knitting these blankets so much I literally need to schedule time to set down the wool and do something else. Otherwise I'd knit all day. I've knit through almost two skeins of Cascade 220 today on the Alita. I'm up to round 71 and I'm down to only three skeins of yarn left. Erg. I ordered it from Webs and I'm almost certain it will be impossible to get the same dyelot. Alita has a lot of stockinette, which is great for a blanket but it uses more yarn.

I really want to do one with the Knitpicks Gloss Lace. I also found a lace weight cotton/wool blend called Cotton Fine and have already started another Egeblad with a 3/2 Mercerized Cotton on size 4 needles. I, too, haven't got much use for doilies and the like but have so many requests for them, am just doing those. I've also gotten my hands and eyes used to the smaller needles and yarn. I'm afraid if I do something heavier right now, with the summer upon us, it'll get to warm for me to work on. The smaller, doily-type things are perfect to stick in my bag and I can work on them during lunch... hmmm, sounds like a neat way to lose some extra pounds...The Knitting Instead of Eating Diet!

Minou
05-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Since I work at home and my house is usually freezing, wool is nice year round. :) I just bought 19 more skeins of Beaverslide, so I have some serious knitting to do!

I've found a pattern I think I'll do in pink next, but look at this reworked Niebling design! In English!

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/KnitFrostedFern.html
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frosted-ferns

There's a pattern that I really want to knit but I haven't found yet called Eiche or Oak. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/oak-2. The Frosted Ferns has some similar elements, so it may be fun to try.

I'm cruising on Alita - round 85! I will definitely run out of yarn and I will also definitely stop early. If I don't, it's going to be seriously huge. I'm into the fish-scaly bit and I think right after this would be a clear place to bind off without totally killing the pattern. Wait til you see it. It just keeps getting better and better!

gargoylelib
05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Minou, if you ever find a source for the Oak pattern let me know!
I've been searching for it everywhere. I know it is in a back issue
of Anna magazine but those seem to be hard to get hold of. I think
of all the doily patterns I have seen that one is definitely my
favorite and I think it would make a beautiful blanket.

Minou
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I was bidding on one on eBay but lost at the last second because someone bid $37 for it. I did get another book that is nothing but Niebling's for $40 (about $1 a pattern!) and there are seven patterns I think might make good blankets so it's not so bad. I still want to find Eiche. I don't think it made it into any collections so it's only in one magazine from the 80's. I really wish they'd publish a book.

gargoylelib
05-23-2008, 03:07 AM
Ouch, that's alot to pay for a pattern! I'm trying to avoid eBay because people get a bit nuts on there. I did find a place that had
back issues of Anna magazine for about $7 a piece but they didn't
have the one with Oak in it and I wasn't sure what patterns were in
the ones they did have so I just didn't buy anything hehe....

I have heard there is a group of Niebling fans putting pressure on
the company that has his patterns to start reprinting them in
book collections or booklets. Maybe they will be successful!

Minou
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
There's a Yahoo group for Niebling knitters that lists the sources of many of his patterns, plus a database of publications that have a lot of patterns. I have Kunst Stricken, which I linked earlier, and it's chock full. I think 38 patterns is worth $40, compared to a magazine with one or two patterns, even if one of those is Eiche.

There are some sellers with Buy it Now prices (the link I posted), so you don't get stuck in bidding wars.

I really hope they are successful at getting a book published, especially one in English. There's a Japanese compilation but it's expensive and Japanese is even harder to translate than German.

I'm almost done with Alita and then I'm going to work on some translations. I have one skein of yarn left and I'm on row 96. I think row 99 is the last pattern row I'll knit before finishing with a knit row and the crochet bind off. When I extrapolate out, that looks like the edge of the diamond pattern. It's getting very big!

Minou
05-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Alita is done! I went to round 99, added a couple rows of knit to stabilize the bind off and then did the crochet bind off. I can't block it until Monday so photos will have to wait. It's 48" already!

On topic, I do have better photos of my Egeblad blanket on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/egeblad

Now I have to decide what to knit next. :)

Karina
05-24-2008, 03:44 AM
You have taken some lovely photos of the Egeblad, can't wait to see the Alita. Did you use the same yarn different colour. Have sent an email to Beaverslide to see if they mail to the UK but so far no response.

Minou
05-24-2008, 10:35 PM
The Egeblad was knitted with Beaverslide McTaggart Tweeds "Prairie Sandreed". The Alita was knitted with Cascade 220 held double. I also have a Hemlock Ring knitted with Beaverslide Fisherman Weight "Prairie Aster". It's slightly finer gauge than the Tweeds, but not by much. The new dyelots coming in June will be three-ply instead of two and the same gauge as the Tweeds. If you're interested, look at my stash on Ravelry. I have a bunch of colors of the Tweeds and Fisherman weight.

I love the stuff. It has bits of plant material in it here and there but they're easy to pick out. The wool is so delicious, it's worth it. I love the fact that it feels real and not excessively processed. It's also so lofty that it's warm, even when knitted into lace like one of these blankets.

Leann, the owner of Beaverslide, is very friendly and will surely respond soon. It's a working farm, so can't always respond immediately, but she's very helpful when she does. I hope she's able to ship to you!

In the photo below, my next two blankets will be the lavender (2nd from left on first row) and pink (far right on first row). My Hemlock Ring was in the purple (far left second row) and Egeblad was the green (far right second row).

Karina
05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
They are lovely colours, have not heard yet but I guess it is a holiday so maybe that they are not dealing with work related mail. If I have not heard in a week or so I will try again.

mwhite
05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Those colors are GORGEOUS, Minou!!!

Was working on my "Rose" Egeblad last night and noticed that several rounds are exactly the same within the leaf section....the gears are turning in my pea-brain and I know me well enough that I'll have to make some form of alteration/modification in either this one or the next! Just love this pattern!

Received the "First Book of Modern..." by Marianne Kinzel the other day and OMG! There are some beautiful patterns and fantastic instruction in it. Can't wait to get the second one! And I still need to translate the "Teschdecke" from the German chart to English.....just not enough knitting hours in the day!

Minou
05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Alita is blocking! I haven't unpinned it yet to see how the edges behave, but it's looking good now that it's stretched out. I highly recommend this one for a blanket because it has a lot of stockinette and very little mesh. The texture of the decreases shows up very well in a heavier yarn too. The petals are all outlined with raised ridges and it's crisp and attractive.

Photos are on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/alita

I like Marianne Kinzel's books. Some of the patterns are very repetitive and not ones I'd want to do, but the intro is very informative and her second book especially has some great round designs.

I can't wait to see your finished Egeblad!

gargoylelib
05-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Minou, your Alita is gorgeous! I have it on my to-do list :)
I have no idea where to find the time to do these lace projects but
I'm sure falling in love with them! I just got a copy of a Niebling
pattern called Lotus Flower that I'm anxious to get started on as
well.

mwhite
05-27-2008, 08:05 AM
The Alita IS gorgeous, Minou!!! I'm on round 80 of the second one and it'll be off the needles this evening, I hope!!!

OOOooo, Libbie, the Lotus Flower is sooo pretty! Time is a problem for me as well. Like I said before, sure hope we get to knit in heaven!

Minou
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
So here's a funny story. I ordered a batch of old 1980's Anna magazines off eBay. I figured I might get lucky and find a Niebling or two, and the price was reasonable. They arrived today. I was flipping through photos of all of these huge baggy fair isle sweaters (remember, it was the 80's) and embroidery patterns and found one Niebling tablecloth and a large square doily. I figured since the magazines are in English, I can use them to translate other German pattern charts since the notations are the same and the magazines came with a helpful key. It was still a good experience, right?

I was flipping through the last magazine in the pile and turned a page and there. was. Eiche. Right in front of me. In my hands. Eiche! I screamed so loud I am sure I woke the neighbors. Honestly, I feel like Christmas came early! My own personal Holy Grail is sitting on my kitchen table.

I think I was meant to be outbid on the pattern earlier because it was already coming to me and I didn't even know it!

I figured you would all understand why I am spazzing out over some 23 year old magazine. :) I still can't believe it.

On a technical note - it's 149 rounds. How many skeins of Eco Wool would it take to do this pattern? If anyone took the Hemlock Ring out through all the extra repeats, what did it take?

Karina
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Tischdecke is 187 rounds and that takes about 6, so I would imagine you would need 4 and order 5 just to be on the safe side. That is what I would do.

I really want to do the Tischdecke but I only have 4 eco wool of two colours so I think I will order 4 more so I have 8 just to be on the safe side.

Glad you ended up with a pattern you really wanted. So great when you have good luck like that. Is that your next project sorted then?

Minou
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Eiche has to wait because I have two smaller blankets for gifts to knit first. Alita is one, but I have two other friends who are getting them. I think one is going to be Niebling's "Primel" and I haven't decided for the other one. I like "Gotthold", but I'd need to order more yarn and it would be huge. Maybe I'll do another Egeblad.

When those are finished, I think I'll do Eiche in a dark brown or rust, but I haven't decided yet. I wasn't expecting to get it! I went back and looked at the eBay listing and it was a typo. She wrote Dec 1985 instead of Sept 1985. She listed it right after Dec 1984, so it was a simple mistake to make. I don't mind because it was the perfect happy accident. When I saw the date on the cover, I couldn't believe it might be true.

Thanks for the tips about the yarn quantity. These round doilies have such diminishing returns when they get larger. So much yarn goes into circumference but the diameter doesn't grow very fast. It's hard to estimate how far the yarn will stretch.

1to1
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
WOW it sounds like you made a great buy on Ebay. Can't wait to see all your beautiful new doily throws.

mwhite
05-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Eiche is one of the ones I'd love to extend... would fit my table! And you're so fortunate to have the magazine! What does Gotthold look like, couldn't find any on Ravelry???

Katrina, I got in touch with "Fleegle" on Ravelry and she's helping me translate the German symbols for the Teschedecke!!! I just love the pattern!

Minou
05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Gotthold is hard to explain. It sort of looks like a central flower motif ending in strawberries near the edges. I can't find a photo of it to share. If I do, I'll post it because it's really a neat pattern.

mwhite
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Sounds really pretty with the edges...please find us a photo!

I'm finished with my rose colored Egeblad!!! Worked it with a 3/2 Egyptian Mercerized cotton and size 4 needles... it's around 29" in diameter. I'll post a picture when it's dry!

Minou
05-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I can't wait to see a photo of your Egeblad! I couldn't find one of Gotthold so I scanned the picture in my booklet. It's a little grainy, even in reality, so it'll be fun to see how it turns out.

mwhite
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Yucky Picture, Minou... guess this means you'll HAVE to make us one to see! LOLOL~ Oh how I love the scalloped edges! Can't wait to actually see the detail!

gargoylelib
05-28-2008, 02:37 AM
Oh Minou, I hate you! hehe just kidding...what a great find. I'm
still hunting for Eiche/Oak but figure I have no hurry as there is a
huge pile of "must do" patterns already sitting on my table. I keep
hoping I'll just bump into it by accident!

Be sure to post pics of your rose Egeblad Mary! I love seeing them
in different colors....

mwhite
05-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Here she is!!! :cheering:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/th_007.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/007.jpg)

Minou
05-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Mary,

Your Egeblad is lovely! That looks very nice in pink.

I have given in to insanity and cast on a Niebling. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/schleuderblatt
I'm on row 6 and I already think I need to rip it back. Reading charts makes me crazy. I know I have to learn, but it seriously makes me crazy. Especially when I have to convert symbols to German, to English and then back to symbols again.

I shall overcome! (knitting needles held high!)

-Rebecca

Karina
05-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Mary your Egeblad looks beautiful, decided to do the chart as written this time. How big is it.

Minou - I consider you to be somewhat of a pro with these so I have faith in you.

What yarn are you using and how big do you think this one will be.

mwhite
05-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks, Ladies! She's 29" in diameter!

Oh Minou, that is gorgeous!!! You go, girl!!!

Off to the Eye Doc! Gotta be able to see more patterns!!! LOL!

Lisa1216
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Mary~Very pretty!! I can't wait to start mine. My LYS is having a 20% off sale today and I'm getting my yarn. I think I'll try the Cascade 220 for this one.

Minou~Very nice! That will be gorgeous. Did you use the Cascade for your Egeblad?

monzogary
05-29-2008, 09:02 AM
I am sorely tempted to try this in lace weight yarn and make it a shawl. What does anyone think - would it turn out ok? Wondering what size needles to use; the yarn I have is off white Alpaca With A Twist Fino http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/alpaca-with-a-twist-fino
I have knit a lot of lace, but never really of the fine lacey shawl variety. Any help would be appreciated!

mwhite
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I think it would be okay but you'll need to make a swatch and check your row/round guage. Do about 20 rows with desired needle size, obtain the #rows per inch and divide in half since a circular piece is mirrored. Decide how large you need the diameter to be and multiply the #rows by that figure. Then you'll know how many rounds your shawl will need. The Egeblad is extremely lacy anyway so a shawl would be gorgeous, just don't know if the original pattern is large enough for a shawl unless your guage makes it so. A shawl would most probably need to be at least 55" to meet armspan unless you want less than that and since I've never made a shawl less might be fine....anyone care to chime in with some shawl experience???

Karina
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Monzogary that is beautiful yarn. I think it would be big enough as a shawl if you did it with the extension that Mary wrote out. check out her photo of the Egeblad she did with the extension then you know how it will look. Try a few rows like Mary suggested on different size needles to see what you like best. have fun.

Minou
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I saw a photo of an Egeblad shawl under the wrong pattern. Check it out: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cherlee/by-christine-duchrow. It was knitted in the round without the center portion.

Here's another doily pattern modified into a 3/4 shawl. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Lankakomero/peacocks-tail

I knit my Egeblad with Beaverslide McTaggart Tweeds (210yds/4oz). It took a little less than three skeins. I knit 102 rows of Alita and it took almost every scrap of six skeins of Cascade 220 held double. ("110 yards" per 3.5oz ball).

Minou
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
For anyone in the mood for some Nieblings, including a bunch of tablecloths, Kunst Stricken - Grosse und Kleine Deckchen (Art Knitting - Large and Small Doilies) is reprinted and available on the Lacis website for $27. They just announced it!

http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/b_knitting.html#BV36

mwhite
05-29-2008, 07:25 PM
OOOOOoooooo and Gloria Penning and Christine Duchrow and sooo many others!! Thanks for the info, Minou!

I want to change/add to the thread title so that this KAL becomes a general lace circular KAL, does anyone object??? I know that several, if not all of us are doing all sorts of beauties. Holler and voice your opinion!!! It would read: Invitation for KAL of the Egeblad & Other Circular Lace Beauties

Minou
05-29-2008, 10:27 PM
That works for me! I like having a general group where we can discuss these various patterns.

If you're interested in Duchrow, I'd personally suggest the third book. Be advised they are all photocopies of old newsletters and some of them are hard to read. They're also all in German and she uses her own charting system. They're gorgeous patterns, but the Kunst Stricken is full of Nieblings and has clear big charts (also in German).

I think it would be great if anyone wanted to KAL one of her patterns so we could muddle through together.

I also have Creating Original Hand-Knitted Lace by Margaret Stove. It doesn't have patterns, but it has exercises and discussions about different techniques to change the appearance of lace - gauge, fiber content, location of increases and decreases, etc. It's very readable and I plan to sit down and delve deeper when I have time. There's a grid in the back comparing all of the different charting systems.

I haven't done ANY knitting today. I'm working on a project and I keep staring at my yarn while I type. Tomorrow night I plan to go nuts!

gargoylelib
05-30-2008, 01:52 AM
I want to change/add to the thread title so that this KAL becomes a general lace circular KAL, does anyone object??? I know that several, if not all of us are doing all sorts of beauties. Holler and voice your opinion!!! It would read: Invitation for KAL of the Egeblad & Other Circular Lace Beauties

That sounds like a good idea...that way someone just joining in will
realize that some of the comments and chatter about patterns is
not just about the Egeblad :)

I'm going to wait for cooler weather before I start making my blanket
but I want to keep knitting the lace patterns so I'm thinking I'll end
up with a bag full of lace doilies and table coverings that have no
place to go! :) I guess I'll have a nice Christmas grab bag and can
impress without even trying :rofl:

Libbie

Lisa1216
05-30-2008, 03:25 PM

I suggested this in the Hemlock Thread but was told it would be too confusing. I think it's a great idea. :thumbsup:

I bought my yarn yesterday for the Egeblad and the Alita. My LYS was having a 20% off sale. I'm going to start the Egeblad first. I have Berroco Ultra Aplaca in a medium gray color. I'm going to do it double stranded and see how it goes. I hope to start it tonight.

Minou
05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I am so jealous! I love the feel of alpaca. That will make a great warm blanket and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I do agree that a separate thread from the Hemlock makes sense. The Hemlock Ring seems to be the first one many people try and that typo in row 35 catches so many of them. This thread is like Hemlock 102 - additional designs. :)

mwhite
06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
:pout: Where'd everybody go?

monzogary
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I have been busy trying this pattern out as a shawl. It seems to be coming along nicely so far. I just hope that the amount of yarn I have is enough to make it big enough to actually use as a shawl lol. Its all a big experiment at this point!

mwhite
06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Whew! I wuz beginning to think everybody'd gone to the beach! I wanna see!!!

gargoylelib
06-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I've had to put my lace knitting on hold for a bit because I've
suddenly been swamped with "need to be done yesterday"
projects. I had all my gift knitting planned out but somehow time
just slipped past when I wasn't looking and now I'm in a rush! haha...

I'm itching to get back into something lacy and round :wink:

Minou
06-05-2008, 03:16 AM
I got really annoyed at the blanket I was trying to knit and set it aside. I think it's a flaw in the first few rows of the pattern, but I haven't picked it back up to work it out yet. I swatched it twice two different ways and both look terrible. Third time will hopefully be the charm.

I just cast off my second Baby Surprise Jacket and I just have the shoulder seams and buttons to finish. Perhaps then I'll work on another blanket. I need to do something on larger needles. However, I'm traveling next week and a blanket is a little large for airplane knitting so I'll probably knit another BSJ on the road.

Seriously, the neighbors on both sides and my brother's wife are all due within three months of each other and my best friend just had her second baby. It's an epidemic!

BTW, it's been in the 50's here. Only a crazy-person would be at the beach. Smart people like me are buried in wool knitting projects!

mwhite
06-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I've had to put my lace knitting on hold for a bit because I've
suddenly been swamped with "need to be done yesterday"
projects. I had all my gift knitting planned out but somehow time
just slipped past when I wasn't looking and now I'm in a rush! haha...

I'm itching to get back into something lacy and round :wink:

I know the feeling! :muah:

mwhite
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I got really annoyed at the blanket I was trying to knit and set it aside. I think it's a flaw in the first few rows of the pattern, but I haven't picked it back up to work it out yet. I swatched it twice two different ways and both look terrible. Third time will hopefully be the charm.

I just cast off my second Baby Surprise Jacket and I just have the shoulder seams and buttons to finish. Perhaps then I'll work on another blanket. I need to do something on larger needles. However, I'm traveling next week and a blanket is a little large for airplane knitting so I'll probably knit another BSJ on the road.

Seriously, the neighbors on both sides and my brother's wife are all due within three months of each other and my best friend just had her second baby. It's an epidemic!

BTW, it's been in the 50's here. Only a crazy-person would be at the beach. Smart people like me are buried in wool knitting projects!

Babies everywhere, huh? LOL! It's in the mid-90s here during the day and although we have to be out to work in it, the AC'd areas are nearby. Been doing some gardening in the evenings and early morning. :hug:

Lisa1216
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I still plugging away at the Egeblad. I'm on row 58 right now. I really like the pattern. I ordered longer cables from Knitpicks for my Options, so they should be here soon. I'm doing it on size 10s double stranded and my 32" cable is getting too crowded. Hopefully they'll be here before the weekend.

Minou~Were you working on the Alita? Is there a problem with the pattern? That's the one I want to do next.

1to1
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi :waving:

I've been working on Rainforest Socks. Since I didn't get the Alita finished for Mother's Day it will now be a Christmas gift. I work on it occasionally but not in a big hurry now.

I really want to try to make a Baby Surprise Jacket. I bought the pattern and printed a spreadsheet off last month. I try not to overwhelm myself with too many things OTN. So I will try to make myself finish the Alita before I start a BSJ.

Take care,
Carla

mwhite
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I still plugging away at the Egeblad. I'm on row 58 right now. I really like the pattern. I ordered longer cables from Knitpicks for my Options, so they should be here soon. I'm doing it on size 10s double stranded and my 32" cable is getting too crowded. Hopefully they'll be here before the weekend.

Minou~Were you working on the Alita? Is there a problem with the pattern? That's the one I want to do next.

Okay, just wondering!:hug:

mwhite
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi :waving:

I've been working on Rainforest Socks. Since I didn't get the Alita finished for Mother's Day it will now be a Christmas gift. I work on it occasionally but not in a big hurry now.

I really want to try to make a Baby Surprise Jacket. I bought the pattern and printed a spreadsheet off last month. I try not to overwhelm myself with too many things OTN. So I will try to make myself finish the Alita before I start a BSJ.

Take care,
Carla

Rainforest socks sound interesting! And I do love the BSJs! :hug:

Minou
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Lisa,

I didn't have any problems with Alita. I knit to row 99, but it's a very easy, quick knit with a lot of stockinette portions. It's also very geometric, unlike Egeblad, so you can see clearly what is supposed to be happening. I think you'd have to drink a lot of wine to get too far astray from the pattern. :) Keep in mind it has more rounds, so a heavy worsted might be a good yarn choice.

I go up to 60" cables with my KP Options when I knit these. Especially when the yarn is held double, I need the extra room.

mwhite
06-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Got finished blocking last night and this turned out really nice. It measures 38", used #4 US DPNs and Circular Needles with 3/2 Mercerized Egyptian Cotton

It's an Anders Anderson design, found at Yarnover.net called "Stor Lyesdug". Alot of fun to knit, fairly simple but with tons of K2togs! Hope you like it! :muah:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_010.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/010.jpg)

Karina
06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Mary that is really lovely. I have that pattern saved on my favorites as well. when you finished knitting did it need a lot of blocking or did it lay fairly flat? have given up blocking the Hemlock with all the extra rows it will likely always be a bit sack like so will use the yarn for something else. Might work with the GAAA which call for a wool/acrylic blend.

mwhite
06-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks! It does lay out flat...there are several rounds of plain knit that make it look like it won't in that first star area but it does block out very easily. I was a bit worried when I started that it wouldn't be as pretty as the Egeblad but it is.

I don't think the Hemlock, knitted with its extensions beyond Jared's extension will ever block out correctly, too many knit rounds. I was very disappointed when I got finished with the first one and just ripped it completely out. I've restarted it and am on round 35. I intend to just use one knit round between increase rounds this time. Am using the TLC Cotton Plus as I did on the first one. It will be a blanket for Maddi's room. The designer planned the smaller doily and the pattern, as is, isn't suited for anything larger...plain and simple.

Minou
06-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Mary,

Stor Lyesdug is lovely! I have that queued on Ravelry as a possible future doily. I think it could make a good blanket if I do it in a worsted and acccept it'll be lighter-weight. I have so many others queued in the 90 rounds range that that one may wait. It's good to see another example of the finished project!

I just finished a scarf knitted with Auracania Ranco Multy, which is probably my favorite yarn ever as far as colors go. It's been on the needles since April, so it's a big "whew" to finally be done with it. It's not blocked yet so it looks miserable.

So, NOW I can start another blanket! It's about time!

Lisa1216
06-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Mary-That is very pretty!! I'll have to go look it up on Ravelry. I finally blocked the Hemlock today...it's still drying. I'm on row 70 of the Egeblad now.

mwhite
06-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Lisa! I totally gave up on my Hemlock today! LOL!

monzogary
06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Mwhite-
That is gorgeous!

gargoylelib
06-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Wow, Mary, that is really nice! I have that pattern waiting to be
done as well and after seeing yours I think I may try it next!
Thanks for posting the pic!

Minou
06-09-2008, 04:38 AM
I blocked my scarf today (no photos yet) and I picked up Kometenstern again as my reward. I had been muddling through the pattern and finally figured it out. Now I'm on round 22 and it's going fine. It's a slower pattern though because it's throwing in a ton of nutty stitches. The pattern rounds are all knit through the back loop, purls, skkp (slip 1, k1, k1, psso (not a k2tog, two separate stitches)) and occasionally a k3tog thrown in for fun. Later I get to k4tog too.

I am definitely taking a BSJ on my trip. I can't concentrate on this pattern in public!

Mary, sorry to hear about your Hemlock. Maybe a nice fluffy wool would work and not be too warm. My two Beaverslide blankets are so light you can barely feel the weight of them - a mere 10-12 ounces each! It's too bad that cotton is such a misery to block.

1to1
06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Mary, your Stor Lyesdug is absolutely beautiful. Yup, I have that one queued too.

Minuo, Can't wait to see pictures of your scarf.

Karina, I know what you mean about blocking. My Hemlock looks like it needs blocked again and it just sits on the back on a sofa that doesn't get used much.

Haven't picked up the Alita except to move it. Still working on Rainforest socks (with the help of Karina) and dishcloths (easy summer projects).

mwhite
06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I think I'll try the Alita next... have some willow green mercerized 3/2 that's just itching to become another beauty! Wonder if I can extend it? LOL! You know me, always trying to throw in my own add ons!

Minou
06-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Oak/Eiche is available on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/LACE-KNITTING-PATTERNS-by-HERBERT-NIEBLING_W0QQitemZ380034681637QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item380034681637&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Minou
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Photos of some of my finished objects are finally up! I still have to seam and sew buttons on my second BSJ, so it's not included. I'll get to it eventually but I'm having too much fun with the new blanket. :)

http://minou14.livejournal.com/

mwhite
06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
OOOOoooo Love the colors in the Araucania scarf, Minou!!! Very pretty! And as usual, you've done a super job with the pattern! The BSJ is so cute! Funny how it looks before you sew it together! Thanks for sharing!!!

DudeWithSticks
06-11-2008, 01:21 AM
TA DA!!! She is done! I am so pleased with this and can't wait to finish another!!! :cheering: :woot:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_009-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/009-1.jpg)

OMG!!! It looks great M... casting on tonight... Doing it in Eco... can't remember the color... I KNOW I will need help! HAHAH... Thanks for the extention!!! xoxo

DudeWithSticks
06-11-2008, 01:41 AM
There's a Yahoo group for Niebling knitters that lists the sources of many of his patterns, plus a database of publications that have a lot of patterns. I have Kunst Stricken, which I linked earlier, and it's chock full. I think 38 patterns is worth $40, compared to a magazine with one or two patterns, even if one of those is Eiche.

There are some sellers with Buy it Now prices (the link I posted), so you don't get stuck in bidding wars.

I really hope they are successful at getting a book published, especially one in English. There's a Japanese compilation but it's expensive and Japanese is even harder to translate than German.

I'm almost done with Alita and then I'm going to work on some translations. I have one skein of yarn left and I'm on row 96. I think row 99 is the last pattern row I'll knit before finishing with a knit row and the crochet bind off. When I extrapolate out, that looks like the edge of the diamond pattern. It's getting very big!
Minou,
Can you send me any links that have the Japanese patterns? I can have one of my aunts translate it for me. But if we are able to get the patterns, is it not "kosher" to put them up on a KAL? Due to copyright issues...
Thanks!

DudeWithSticks
06-11-2008, 02:23 AM
OOOOOoooooo and Gloria Penning and Christine Duchrow and sooo many others!! Thanks for the info, Minou!

I have to disagree on this one Mary. I think the each KAL should be separate. This one already has 14 pages and counting and the Hemlock has about 25 pages. IMHO, It's so hard if you start a KAL in the middle to go over all the posts relating to the KAL you're doing. Hope that makes sense. I mean, I know that I will have questions for the group and if I started this a few months down the line, I will have to go through hundreds of posts to see if the answer is in there as well as any fixes or corrections involved with the pattern I am doing.
Let me know if anyone feels the same way on this please, I may be I am the only one. :)

DudeWithSticks
06-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Oak/Eiche is available on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/LACE-KNITTING-PATTERNS-by-HERBERT-NIEBLING_W0QQitemZ380034681637QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item380034681637&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!! :muah: :hug:
I just bid on it. Sooo if anyone else is on here bidding, let me know, maybe we can buy it together and split the costs or something.
THANKS!!!
Gino

Minou
06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Gino,

Lacis has copies of some of the Niebling patterns for sale. http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/publicat.html

The Japanese compilations are called "Knitted Lace Designs of the Modern Mode".

The Kunst Stricken pamphlet that I have with 38 patterns is now available at Lacis, along with a separate copy of Lyra and two other pamphlets of six patterns each. I think Lyra is in English but the others are in German. They're listed at http://lacis.com/catalog/data/whatsnew.html

I've ordered from them and their service is wonderful.

Also, if you really want to see some lovely doilies, check out this slideshow: http://www.lacismuseum.org/exhibit/shimmons/

Good luck with Egeblad! It's really a fun knit.

-Rebecca

Minou
06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Good news! For those who want machine washable blankets, Cascade just came out with a new yarn called "Greenland". It's Aran weight, superwash and knits at 4sts/1" on US9's. That's the same gauge as Eco!

http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-Greenland.asp

DudeWithSticks
06-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Gino,

Lacis has copies of some of the Niebling patterns for sale. http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/publicat.html

The Kunst Stricken pamphlet that I have with 38 patterns is now available at Lacis, along with a separate copy of Lyra and two other pamphlets of six patterns each. I think Lyra is in English but the others are in German. They're listed at http://lacis.com/catalog/data/whatsnew.html

Also, if you really want to see some lovely doilies, check out this slideshow: http://www.lacismuseum.org/exhibit/shimmons/

-Rebecca
Thanks Rebecca for the info. Hmmm, you are right, the Japanese book is very expensive. Do you think that they are the same patterns as some of the other books? I am going to maybe write to them and ask.
I am on Row 24 on the Egblad, and it's looking like nothing much so far. LOL But yes, it's a nice, easy and fun pattern to do!
I have one question for the group, if you can't crochet, what do you for the bind off? Ask someone who knows how to crochet to finish it off for you? :P Or is there another method to do a knit bind off?
Thanks all, and I am sure that I will be having a few more questions soon!

xoxo

G

mwhite
06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I have to disagree on this one Mary. I think the each KAL should be separate. This one already has 14 pages and counting and the Hemlock has about 25 pages. IMHO, It's so hard if you start a KAL in the middle to go over all the posts relating to the KAL you're doing. Hope that makes sense. I mean, I know that I will have questions for the group and if I started this a few months down the line, I will have to go through hundreds of posts to see if the answer is in there as well as any fixes or corrections involved with the pattern I am doing.
Let me know if anyone feels the same way on this please, I may be I am the only one. :)

No, you don't have to go through 100 pages to find your answer, just ask it again!!!

mwhite
06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Gino,

-Rebecca

:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: Loved the exhibit...thinking the whole time...I wanna do that one and oh yeah, that one and OMG-how can I possibly design one that isn't like another!!! Great links!!!

mwhite
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Good news! For those who want machine washable blankets, Cascade just came out with a new yarn called "Greenland". It's Aran weight, superwash and knits at 4sts/1" on US9's. That's the same gauge as Eco!

http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-Greenland.asp

Great news!

mwhite
06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Rebecca for the info. Hmmm, you are right, the Japanese book is very expensive. Do you think that they are the same patterns as some of the other books? I am going to maybe write to them and ask.
I am on Row 24 on the Egblad, and it's looking like nothing much so far. LOL But yes, it's a nice, easy and fun pattern to do!
I have one question for the group, if you can't crochet, what do you for the bind off? Ask someone who knows how to crochet to finish it off for you? :P Or is there another method to do a knit bind off?
Thanks all, and I am sure that I will be having a few more questions soon!

xoxo

G

You can ask a crocheter to do it or just use the Hemlock Ring bind off...I'll have to check and make sure the stitch count will work with the Egeblad but it should and will give you the loops.

Karina
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Gino - if I were you I would learn the basic crochet skills that is needed to complete the blanket. There is a lot of videos on You tube demonstrating the technique. Basic crochet is quite simple it just takes a bit of time to get the tension even (for me anyway). so I would have a little practice with some scrap yarn then you will be an old pro by the time the blanket is finished. Good Luck.

mwhite
06-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I looked at someone's project on Ravelry last night that had a great tip for working multiple YOs!!!

When you're working the knit round after the round with the multiple YO, knit into the back of the YO loop....much neater!

DudeWithSticks
06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
You can ask a crocheter to do it or just use the Hemlock Ring bind off...I'll have to check and make sure the stitch count will work with the Egeblad but it should and will give you the loops.

M,
You're the greatist. Hmmm, that is going to take sometime again! (doing the hemlock bindoff, almost killed me the last time.) Maybe I will learn how to crochet. Or bribe my Mom and say, if you do these "X" amt of blankets in the crochet bind off, then you'll get to pick a pattern that I will do for you.LOLOLOL
Great to be back and feel the love again! And true, just ask the question again! Okay, you've convinced me, (I think) :P
I am bidding on the Anna Mag, if anyone else is bidding on it, STOP! HAHAHA
I think that I will take Karina's advice and try and learn to crochet, well, at least the bind off portion. But it's just something that I have never wanted to do or learn. UGH! Darn you patterns with crochet bindoffs...
:grphug:
Gino

DudeWithSticks
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I looked at someone's project on Ravelry last night that had a great tip for working multiple YOs!!!

When you're working the knit round after the round with the multiple YO, knit into the back of the YO loop....much neater!
Hi Mary,
What exactly did you mean by that? When you are doing 5 yo's in a row? Or when you have yo k1 yo k1 yo k1? didn't get what you meant? Or can you do it everytime you have a yo?
THANKS!
G

DudeWithSticks
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Gino - if I were you I would learn the basic crochet skills that is needed to complete the blanket. There is a lot of videos on You tube demonstrating the technique. Basic crochet is quite simple it just takes a bit of time to get the tension even (for me anyway). so I would have a little practice with some scrap yarn then you will be an old pro by the time the blanket is finished. Good Luck.
Thanks Karina,
I will try and what would you suggest me using as far as hook size? Metal or bamboo? I am doing the eco wool in I think silver for this project and using US 10's.
My Mom uses both, I think she uses metal when she is doing cotton thread and bamboo for larger projects. She says she likes bamboo because it gives and not so hard like metal. I remember 20+ years ago, my aunt brought back bamboo knitting needles and crochet hooks from Japan and they didn't have anything like that here.
I recently bought here the Clover Bamboo Velvet knitting needle set and she just loves them. I am now giving her yarn and patterns (scarf) and telling her how to do somethings. LOL
She's the really experienced in both and does some amazing stuff. (grrrr) and a lot of my aunts crochet doilies, so I guess that I don't have an excuse not to learn!
Thanks all!
Gino

mwhite
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Mary,
What exactly did you mean by that? When you are doing 5 yo's in a row? Or when you have yo k1 yo k1 yo k1? didn't get what you meant? Or can you do it everytime you have a yo?
THANKS!
G

If you'll notice, when you do K1P1K1.... there are bumps from the purl sts. This method eliminates those. It's a little tricky at first... You have to stick the right needle under the YO loop and slide the needle up and over the left needle to the back of the yo, then knit and pull off being careful not to drop the remaining yo loops....I might need to do a photo tute for this. I'm sure it will work for any number of yos but you really only need it for the former purl sts. It makes a nice, smooth stitch and looks neater.

Karina
06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I am by no mean a crochet expert but when reading patterns that uses knitting and crochet together they usually use the same size hook as the needles so use a size 10 I would say. I personally don't like bamboo find the yarn stick and mucks up my tension I like metal. others might disagree.

DudeWithSticks
06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
If you'll notice, when you do K1P1K1.... there are bumps from the purl sts. This method eliminates those. It's a little tricky at first... You have to stick the right needle under the YO loop and slide the needle up and over the left needle to the back of the yo, then knit and pull off being careful not to drop the remaining yo loops....I might need to do a photo tute for this. I'm sure it will work for any number of yos but you really only need it for the former purl sts. It makes a nice, smooth stitch and looks neater.
HEHEHE I may be PM'ing you soon. LOL

1to1
06-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow those were some awesome doilies.

I think my LYS said the other day that she was going to be getting some of that Cascade Greenland. There are some wonderful colors.

Now, do I finish the Alita for my MIL, start a Baby Surprise Jacket, or start another doily for a baby blanket? Which pattern would you do for a baby blanket? The Eceblad?

Minou
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Gino,

I use aluminum hooks and tend to drop a hook size or two when I do a crochet bind-off to make sure my chains are tight enough. I also tend to single crochet instead of double when I catch the bound-off stitches and I usually chain fewer than suggested. In cotton doilies, the long loops are decorative, but for a blanket, I think they are just toe-traps. I leave enough slack in my loops to avoid crinkling the blanket edge, but not a lot.

Another tip, work your crochet bind-off on the cable part of your needle. You have more room to work and there's no need to slip every cluster off as it's finished. I'll do about ten loops and then slide them all off together.

If you're skeptical, you can knit yourself a nice long swatch and practice before you do your bind-off. It's super easy to crochet and it's so much faster than the Hemlock bind-off. I can do a whole blanket in less than an hour while barely looking at it.

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, so if you need help with this, just holler. :)

DudeWithSticks
06-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Gino,

I use aluminum hooks and tend to drop a hook size or two when I do a crochet bind-off to make sure my chains are tight enough. I also tend to single crochet instead of double when I catch the bound-off stitches and I usually chain fewer than suggested. In cotton doilies, the long loops are decorative, but for a blanket, I think they are just toe-traps. I leave enough slack in my loops to avoid crinkling the blanket edge, but not a lot.

Another tip, work your crochet bind-off on the cable part of your needle. You have more room to work and there's no need to slip every cluster off as it's finished. I'll do about ten loops and then slide them all off together.

If you're skeptical, you can knit yourself a nice long swatch and practice before you do your bind-off. It's super easy to crochet and it's so much faster than the Hemlock bind-off. I can do a whole blanket in less than an hour while barely looking at it.

I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, so if you need help with this, just holler. :)
Hi R,
Thanks so much for the note and for the advice. It comes much appreciated. Now I have a question for you...
I showed my Mom the pattern and the bind off, and she didn't really get it. She has never done a knit doily, only crochet.
So, can someone please help me out and give some advice doing the bind off in crochet?
Basically, you k1 one on the right hand needle and chain etc, but where do you connect them.... LOL
Maybe it will be easier to try it rather try and figure it out on paper. But it would help me, so I can show my Mom the directions and she can show me. Does that make sense? LOL
One last question.. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have frogged this piece three times. I am not really counting my stitches, but when I get to row 12, I am missing a stitch, so when I get to the end, I only have five stitches left on the needle and when I check my work it looks like the second to the last repeat is off and the holes from the yo's are off. Sooooooo, when you cast on the 10 stitches, you place marker then join. But when you join are you joining as a knit stitch or are you joining as a yo stitch. As of now, I am placing a marker and joining with the yo. I must be doing something wrong at the very beginning, cause each time, I am missing that one stitch on row 12 in the same place.
HELP!!!
OH thanks R, I got the Anna Mag. Paid a little more than what I wanted, but I got it!
Now only if I can translate and make it. Also looking to maybe order the 60.00+ Japanese Mag. And it does come with English translations as well.
More soon and thanks for your help!!!
Gino:hug:

Minou
06-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Gino,

If it's a Burda publication, look at http://photofile.name/users/natalia46/135079011/136218866/#breadcr for an English translation of their chart symbols. It's on several pages, but that link should take you to the first one. I'm knitting off a Burda chart right now and they are easy to follow once you figure out the instructions. I've also made up a spreadsheet of German knitting terms. If you have Excel, I can email it to you.

As for the crochet, the thing to realize is crochet works by pulling the working yarn under a loop created by a previous stitch and then immediately binding it off. Instead of having a whole fabric width of stitches active on a needle, you have one working loop at any given time. The top edge of crochet fabric resembles the bind-off edge of knitted fabric.

So, when you do the crochet bind-off, you stick the hook through the number of knit stitches you want to bind off, hook the working yarn, draw the strand through the knit stitches and make a crochet stitch. The knit stitches are captured by the crochet stitch and are effectively bound off. It's sort of like a knit 3 together, but different. :) I'll see if I can take some pictures and make this easier to understand.

On your Egeblad instructions, join as a knit. You'll have 10 cast on stitches on your needles. Then you knit the first one you cast on and keep going around the circle. The first round doesn't have any yarn overs. Once you get to round 2, you do a yarn over first thing after your marker, then knit. The way this pattern is written, the yarn overs create a spiral so they don't line up one over the other. It sounds like you're missing a stitch on row 10 or 11.

DudeWithSticks
06-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Gino,

If it's a Burda publication, look at http://photofile.name/users/natalia46/135079011/136218866/#breadcr for an English translation of their chart symbols. It's on several pages, but that link should take you to the first one. I'm knitting off a Burda chart right now and they are easy to follow once you figure out the instructions. I've also made up a spreadsheet of German knitting terms. If you have Excel, I can email it to you.

As for the crochet, the thing to realize is crochet works by pulling the working yarn under a loop created by a previous stitch and then immediately binding it off. Instead of having a whole fabric width of stitches active on a needle, you have one working loop at any given time. The top edge of crochet fabric resembles the bind-off edge of knitted fabric.

So, when you do the crochet bind-off, you stick the hook through the number of knit stitches you want to bind off, hook the working yarn, draw the strand through the knit stitches and make a crochet stitch. The knit stitches are captured by the crochet stitch and are effectively bound off. It's sort of like a knit 3 together, but different. :) I'll see if I can take some pictures and make this easier to understand.

On your Egeblad instructions, join as a knit. You'll have 10 cast on stitches on your needles. Then you knit the first one you cast on and keep going around the circle. The first round doesn't have any yarn overs. Once you get to round 2, you do a yarn over first thing after your marker, then knit. The way this pattern is written, the yarn overs create a spiral so they don't line up one over the other. It sounds like you're missing a stitch on row 10 or 11.
OMG! Thanks R,
I have been such an idot!!! That is where I was off, I didn't knit the first row, I was doing yo! I guess I should practice my hooked on phonics! LOL
Okay, I will explain to my Mom and have her try it out with me. That way I can learn too. I think that your directions are fine. I just need to try and practice this and if I have anymore questions, I will, of course write to the group!
I will have a look at the Burda link that you gave to me. Thanks again for that as well. As my English friend always says to me!, "You're a STAR!" Thanks!
xoxo
Gino
Where's Mary? Helllllllooooooo.. Oh is this a Maddie Pie weekend?

mwhite
06-15-2008, 05:48 PM
LOL! It is a Maddi Pie weekend and they just left....uh, I think I need a nap! The cats are all worn out from chasing the lazer light, Buck, the dog, is resting from the hundreds of ball chases.... I'm gonna work on Alita for awhile. I am just itching to jump into the "Teschdecke". Got my Kinzel books marked and OMG, my daughter loves the Lilac Time Oval tablecloth!

Minou
06-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Gino,

Cheers mate! The yo's at the beginning of the round were a little strange for me too, so it's a completely understandable mistake. It's funny that it didn't show up until round 12, but knitting is like that.

I'm on round 61 of my Kometenstern blanket and it just got really strange. The pattern so far has been fairly symmetrical, although the whole thing swirls like the center of Egeblad. On this round, suddenly it's building up to do something different - I think it's the tips of the motif coming to an end and a new mesh is getting ready to start, but I had to haul out the Burda instructions again. It was asking me to knit two in one stitch, but it wasn't lining up over a yarn over. I finally figured out I needed to knit 1, purl 1 in a single knit stitch. It's also full of k3tog, k4tog and this really loopy decrease. It's interesting, but right now it doesn't look like much. I'm knitting in a dark purple two-ply with slubs of lighter purple and it has very iffy stitch definition. I won't see much until this is blocked. I had to stop for the night because my fingers are cramping up. On my intermediate rounds, I purl the purls and knit everything else, so there's a lot more hand movement than I'm used to. It's like knitting a blanket in ribbing! I can't wait to see the final result. :) A finished one can be seen here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Henriette/schleuderblatt

Mary, what yarn are you using for the Teschdecke? Kinzel's books have some very nice patterns, especially the second one. I love the daffodil and thistle designs especially.

mwhite
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Haven't really decided what yarn to use on the Teschdecke but I want it to have a nice shine....I love the Valley Yarns Valley Cottons but have only used the 3/2...maybe I'll do it in a 5/2 but I have enough of the 3/2 so to keep from having to wait.... I need to get started on the Lilac Time in order to assure that it's done before Christmas for Christie. The chart of the Teschdecke has German symbols so I'm pretty sure it will take longer for me to do. Am on round 90 of the Alita... The Alita just isn't as lacy as I like. Well, off to the job and a day of "Boat People"!

DudeWithSticks
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Okay Kids,
I am trying to get the bind off and trying to figure it out. I have a lot of rows to still go and just trying to make sure that I get this right.
So, you k1 on the right hand needle, and is that the loop you are working with? So, I get the crochet hook and loop it through, and take three stitches off the left hand needle and loop through and then chain 8 then I do the same thing and loop it through another three, chain 8 and so on? Hope that makes sense. :D
One last question, has anyone done this in eco wool? I am trying to see how large this would be if I didn't do any extentions?
Thanks to Minou, I got this going without a hitch. I can't believe I didn't knit the first round! On row 38 now and just made a mistake at the VERY beginning! Tink time!

DudeWithSticks
06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
OMG R!!!
That is beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished piece! I hope that one day I can get to be that amazing! Ordering some books and stuff in the next few days!

mwhite
06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Okay Kids,
I am trying to get the bind off and trying to figure it out. I have a lot of rows to still go and just trying to make sure that I get this right.
So, you k1 on the right hand needle, and is that the loop you are working with? So, I get the crochet hook and loop it through, and take three stitches off the left hand needle and loop through and then chain 8 then I do the same thing and loop it through another three, chain 8 and so on? Hope that makes sense. :D
One last question, has anyone done this in eco wool? I am trying to see how large this would be if I didn't do any extentions?
Thanks to Minou, I got this going without a hitch. I can't believe I didn't knit the first round! On row 38 now and just made a mistake at the VERY beginning! Tink time!

Makes perfect sense and sounds like you've got it! I slipped those three sts off the knitting needle onto the crochet hook the first time I did it and then discovered I could put the hook through the three stitches, towards the back, grab the working yarn, pull through (two loops on hook) then pick up the working yarn again and pull through the two loops, then chain 8. I think they call it double crochet. Don't wanna confuse you but there are several ways to do it.

I thought the Egeblad was alot easier than the Hemlock but then again, the Hemlock was my first circular in lace.

mwhite
06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Gino,

Cheers mate! The yo's at the beginning of the round were a little strange for me too, so it's a completely understandable mistake. It's funny that it didn't show up until round 12, but knitting is like that.

I'm on round 61 of my Kometenstern blanket and it just got really strange. The pattern so far has been fairly symmetrical, although the whole thing swirls like the center of Egeblad. On this round, suddenly it's building up to do something different - I think it's the tips of the motif coming to an end and a new mesh is getting ready to start, but I had to haul out the Burda instructions again. It was asking me to knit two in one stitch, but it wasn't lining up over a yarn over. I finally figured out I needed to knit 1, purl 1 in a single knit stitch. It's also full of k3tog, k4tog and this really loopy decrease. It's interesting, but right now it doesn't look like much. I'm knitting in a dark purple two-ply with slubs of lighter purple and it has very iffy stitch definition. I won't see much until this is blocked. I had to stop for the night because my fingers are cramping up. On my intermediate rounds, I purl the purls and knit everything else, so there's a lot more hand movement than I'm used to. It's like knitting a blanket in ribbing! I can't wait to see the final result. :) A finished one can be seen here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Henriette/schleuderblatt

Love the swirls and leaves in this one!

Minou
06-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Agh! I ran out of yarn 18 rounds from the end of my Kometenstern blanket. Agh! I'll have to order more and wait about two weeks for it to arrive. I knew this was going to happen, but I wanted to wait to see how far it would go. This was an interesting exercise in how lace uses yarn. I used about 2.7 skeins for the 87 rounds of Egeblad. This used a full three skeins for only 81 rounds. It was the same yarn, same yardage, only different colors, so the pattern made all the difference. I was thinking since it is an open mesh pattern that it would have used less and I might have finished the full 99 rounds with three skeins. Boy was I wrong! And it's not an open mesh in this heavier wool.

This is such a fun pattern. I'm learning a lot about the structure of lace by knitting this. Also, it's almost reversible! There are subtle differences between the two sides, but the combination of twisted knit stitches and purls means both sides show the distinct pattern of leaves. This is a great feature for a blanket, in my opinion.

I have no idea what I'll work on while I wait. Maybe another blanket?

gargoylelib
06-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Oh that is interesting about how much yarn you are using. I
have been wondering myself how much yarn does lace eat up. I
know cables take up more so I know to buy extra when doing a
cabling project but I realized lace is still a bit of a mystery. I'd love
to hear your finished results on how much each pattern ate up!

DudeWithSticks
06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Okay, not loving myself right now. :( LOL I was BREEZING through the Egleblad and got to row 62. When I was near the end I only had four stitches left for my last repeat. I know, not good. So, I figured that I made a mistake somewhere. (A little more history) Halfway through, I noticed my yo's were a little off, so I just thought that it was the pattern and judging from the photo that it does move, so no biggie, right? NOOOOOOOOOT! hahah
I started to count my repeats and yes, everything was right. So, I think that I may have forgotten a yo or two in my last pattern.
So, it tink time for me on about three rows! OMG! I hate myself for this. I should have counted my repeats and stitches! Luckily a lot is just skp's, yo's and regular knit stitches. It's a B***H tinking a s2kp (sp)
Anyway, had to vent... at least I could vent to the group and you'll all know and feel my pain! :P
Judging by where I am, I think that it will take less yarn than the Hemlock, but who knows, it's growing by the minute. And I hope that it doesn't get too tight on my 40" circulars. Just ordered the 60" inter... from knitpicks...
xoxo
G
OH, Rebecca, I just ordered Knitted Lace Designs Of The Modern Mode, Bk 1, Kazuko Ichida that you mentioned. I know it was expensive, but I just paid 20+ for the Oak (including shipping) and that was only for a few patterns. I figured that if I did the math there are 31 patterns in here and I figured it's a little over 2.00 a pattern. I had to reason with myself. But will let you know if it's worth it. I am sure that it will be and will try and scan a few of my favorites. I just hope that they are not too complicated for me. The waiver said "Not intended for the novice" hehehe
More later!

mwhite
06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I think this might deserve a "Poor Baby"! So sorry you've had to tink back and yep, those sk2p and skp sts are not easy to tink. If it'll make you feel less lonely, I tink back all the time, just a necessary evil. I forgot a YO on this Alita, two rounds back... ACKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

Minou
06-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Gino,

If you can knit in the round, you're not a novice. The hardest thing for me is learning to read charts. I also had to learn some new stitches for Kometenstern. Niebling was not shy about using every stitch at his disposal. However, every stitch is based on either a knit or a purl. You may do them backwards or with extra stitches, or slip them or pass them over, but there's nothing terribly new once you can do a knit and a purl.

Also, just for perspective, I had more trouble with the Baby Surprise Jacket when I first tried it and that is all garter stitch with one kind of increase and one kind of decrease. Tell me how that is more difficult than the Hemlock Ring!

When I worked off the chart for Kometenstern, I wrote my own key on my pattern chart so I could remember what the symbols mean and then just started knitting. Reading the rows backwards wasn't as difficult as I expected. It's opened up a whole new world of lace because most German patterns aren't written out.

When you start doing those patterns, feel free to shout out if you have a question. Also, join the Niebling Lace Knitters group on Yahoo if you haven't already. It's an active group and their files section is worth its weight in gold. A lot of people have the Japanese book and can help with any translations you need.

I think it's a great buy. I bought the Kunst Stricken folio for about $40 including shipping and it has 38 Niebling and Niebling-esque patterns in it. Now Lacis sells it for $27. That's under $1 a pattern and you can't find many stand-alone patterns for that. Even $2 a pattern is perfectly reasonable.

I think I'm starting another blanket tonight. I ordered more yarn so I'll have four skeins each of the colors I bought last time (and 5 of the color I'm using for Kometenstern). I'll be able to knit without worrying about running out. I have a pattern with a lot of stockinette, which should be a nice switch from the crazy acrobatics I had to do on this last one. My hands need something restful. :)

monzogary
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I am on row 92 of the extension of my trial of making this into a shawl. As close as I can tell, its about 32" across right now (just giving it a little tug to measure). I'm hoping it comes out big enough and that I have enough yarn!

1to1
06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Minou, I signed up for a HerbertNieblingPatterns (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HerbertNieblingPatterns/?yguid=266701457) Yahoo Group hope its the right one. The only Herbert book that I saw at Lilacs was for $67.

Minou
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NieblingLaceKnitters. This is the one I am on.

There's a new booklet at Lacis called Kunst Stricken - Grosse und Kleine Deckchen. If you go to http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/b_knitting.html#BV36 it should be at the top of the page. It's all in German, but the charts are clear and it contains 30 Neiblings, many of which are tablecloths or larger doilies.

1to1
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Minou, you are an enabler. I'm considering the Kunst Stricken and the Lyra pattern too. Isn't it funny how close those two groups look?

Minou
06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Guilty as charged! The Nieblings are like brainteasers. They're so much fun to figure out and knit and I love the organic botanical designs. If I could design lace, I'd design things that look like Nieblings.

A lot of people love Lyra and there's a general ongoing Lyra KAL on the Yahoo group if you hit a snag.

I think the group you joined is started by the same people because there's a grassroots movement to try to get Niebling designs re-published. They are usually so hard to find and really expensive. The more demand there is for them from places like Lacis, the more it shows there's a promising market. Maybe releasing Lyra for reprint is the tip of the iceberg. I hope so!

Remember, knitting helps combat Alzheimer's, so this is really good for you! :)

mwhite
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Guilty as charged! The Nieblings are like brainteasers. They're so much fun to figure out and knit and I love the organic botanical designs. If I could design lace, I'd design things that look like Nieblings.

A lot of people love Lyra and there's a general ongoing Lyra KAL on the Yahoo group if you hit a snag.

I think the group you joined is started by the same people because there's a grassroots movement to try to get Niebling designs re-published. They are usually so hard to find and really expensive. The more demand there is for them from places like Lacis, the more it shows there's a promising market. Maybe releasing Lyra for reprint is the tip of the iceberg. I hope so!

Remember, knitting helps combat Alzheimer's, so this is really good for you! :)

:muah: Thanks for being here for us to dream and do! I like the battling alzheimer's aspect...now for one that combats arthritis! :mrgreen:

Minou
06-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Well, I got eight rounds into a new blanket and catastrophe struck. My mom was knitting a Baby Surprise Jacket next to me with Dream in Color Classy. She had come across a knot in the middle of the skein and I told her to leave it since the garter stitch would hide it. Several rows later, she found something that looked like a big yarn over and when I looked, I saw the knot had come undone and unraveled down several rows. The ends weren't long enough to re-tie it and my attempt to pick up stitches several rows below the mess didn't work because of the slip 2, knit 1, pass 2 slipped stitches over decreases. Try finding one of those in slightly variegated green yarn in garter stitch! I ended up picking up two stitches on the wrong row and by the time I unraveled to them, it was hopeless to try to fix it.

So, I frogged 46 rows of knitting and I'm trying to knit it back up before she knows so she doesn't feel bad about all of her hard work wasted. This is her first baby sweater for her first grandchild and she was so proud of it.

Honestly, I don't understand myself sometimes. I can read lace stitches just fine, but give me a big square of garter stitch, knit flat no less, and I lose my mind. Garter stitch is smooshy and wonderful, so I forgive it for making me crazy, but I'm still a bit perturbed.

Okay, venting over - I must get back to work! I'll have a new blanket update in a few days. :)

DudeWithSticks
06-20-2008, 03:25 AM
I feel for the two of you! (M and R) I just vented a few days ago and everything seems to be going fine so far. I am really liking the stitch pattern now and it's so easy to memorize the repeats! (egeblad)
I am on row 78 and trying to get done well at least to the start of Mary's extention. I think that I will have it done by the weekend. Except for the dreaded crochet bind off. LOL
I am still on my first hank of the eco wool in silver. (it's a light silver gray)
I think that it is going to take less than two skeins. But don't quote me on that!
I'll be here in a few days asking more questions on the bind off soon.
XXX
Gino

1to1
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I held off on ordering the books since I'm going to be on vacation and don't want them sitting on my front step.

DON'T YOU HATE KNOTS IN YARN!!!! There really should be a law against it. What a pain!!! DD was winding self-striping sock yarn for me yesterday and there was a knot in it. Since, I just plan on making ankle socks I had her cut it and then divide the rest of the ball. I like my socks to match.

I really want to start on the Baby Surprise Jacket but know that I will need to have computer access to ask for help.

Minou
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Dawn Adcock has great notes to go with the BSJ pattern. I use them instead of the original because it's so hard to follow. http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm It's a great travel pattern because it's all garter stitch except for the increases and decreases. I knit mine flat on a circular, so I didn't stab anyone sitting next to me on the plane with my needle ends.

I use slip 2tog, knit 1, p2sso for my decreases and knit through the front and back loop for my increases. EZ's make 1's left holes in my first BSJ. If you do kfbl for your increases, you'll have to knit the back loop on the last stitch of the repeat - like on row 6, where it says k3, m1 - you'd k2, kfbl instead.

I am really annoyed about that knot. My mom only said there was a weird bump in her yarn. It had no tails and I really should have known better. It's easy enough to rejoin the ball because the yarn variegates every stitch or three, so there's no self-repeating pattern to get messed up. Well, there's nothing like hours knitting (with splitty yarn that's already been knit once) to teach me to take 30 seconds to fix the knot NEXT time. If Dream in Color weren't so gorgeous once it's knitted up, I'd throw this whole thing in the mud.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Minou/stash/mctaggart-tweed-7 This is the yarn I'm using for my tulip blanket. It's like strawberry ice cream in thick, fluffy wool and it breaks my heart to set it aside right when I was in the middle of loving on it.

Minou
06-24-2008, 03:15 AM
If anyone is interested, I've posted 400 German knitting terms on my blog. I split them into several entries and they're alphabetized in German. I put a big chart together to help me decipher the Christine Duchrow and Niebling patterns I have, and thought I'd share with the group. I have them as an Excel spreadsheet too, but I couldn't paste that into LJ. Contact me via private message if you'd like me to email you a copy.

http://minou14.livejournal.com/#asset-minou14-11723
http://minou14.livejournal.com/#asset-minou14-11822
http://minou14.livejournal.com/#asset-minou14-12101
http://minou14.livejournal.com/#asset-minou14-12491
http://minou14.livejournal.com/#asset-minou14-12638

My tulip blanket is frogged. I made a huge whoops and added extra repeats where they don't belong. Even without the whoops, the central motif wasn't making me happy. I found a better pattern for the yarn and I'll be starting it tomorrow.

I've decided frogging really isn't a bad thing if it means I don't waste yarn knitting a mess. :) (I tell myself whatever I have to to take away the sting!)

DudeWithSticks
06-25-2008, 12:19 AM
On a technical note - it's 149 rounds. How many skeins of Eco Wool would it take to do this pattern? If anyone took the Hemlock Ring out through all the extra repeats, what did it take?
Hi Rebecca,
Doing the Egeblad now and on row 108 from Mary's extentions. I think that I may go through the my second hank and use the part of the third.
I went to row 131 including the four rows of knit. Then the bind off. You use a lot for the bind off! When I finished, I had about 2/3 of a hank left over. So, if there are as many stitches as the hemlock, I would have to say three hanks. Not so bad if you got it on sale, for 10.50 a hank. But still a bargain at 15.00.
I think that the eco plus is a little bit more expenisive. But has some pretty cool colors!
And I don't know if I answered your question before, but too lazy to look! LOL

DudeWithSticks
06-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey Mary,
Quick question for you on the extensions. There is part of my repeats that have a few yo's in places that really don't continue, I thought I could see it on yours, but hard to tell, since your yarn is finer. But it's like two yo's in different places, but on the same repeat. Does that make sense? Or did I make a serious error. Oh well, if I did, it doesn't look bad, and since it's even all over that part, I guess I am not going to worry about it.
I have 32 rows left to go. I don't think that I will get it done before this weekend. It's getting WAYYYYYYYYYYY to tight on my 40". The people at knit picks are really nice and VERY helpful. And promised me that my 60" will arrive on Friday!
Then I think that it will be easier. For some odd reason, the Hemlock didn't seem so tight, but pretty much the same stitch count. Oh well...
I ordered their Wooden circulars in the kit and had to order the 60" cables separately. Don't they know that we all need 60" ers... and it should come with the kit?
Where is everyone else's photos and finished Egelad and how many of you did Mary's extention.
Gino

mwhite
06-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Gino, I'm not sure where you are... my extensions only go to 101. At this round, you should have 520 sts on the needles. The pattern actually has 260 but my extension doubled that. And there are alot of rounds that are knitted before that changes. Let me know, will be at home this evening around 5:30 and I can check my Egeblad. The pattern extensions are on here and on my Egeblad project on Ravelry.

DudeWithSticks
06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Gino, I'm not sure where you are... my extensions only go to 101. At this round, you should have 520 sts on the needles. The pattern actually has 260 but my extension doubled that. And there are alot of rounds that are knitted before that changes. Let me know, will be at home this evening around 5:30 and I can check my Egeblad. The pattern extensions are on here and on my Egeblad project on Ravelry.
Hi Mary,
I think I found my answer. I looked more into your design and this is what I found. :) I marked it in blue.
So, I guess I am not doing anything wrong afterall! YIPEE!
They just looked so random to me and didn't know if I made a mistake.
Thanks!!!

mwhite
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Yep, the top of the leaves...

DudeWithSticks
06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Yep, the top of the leaves...

See, aren't they just random? LOL
Okay, I have a question for the group, since we all do so many yo's on here...
When you are doing a yo, is it better to yo a little tighter on the needle? Or is it better when you knit into the yo to knit it a little tighter. ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. is it better to just leave it alone and knit it regular. The reason that I am asking is the some of my stitches are a little looser where the yo over is so when you look at the yo stitches on the side of the yo's they look a little loose on the sides. Does that make sense? I am sure that when I block this beast, it will be okay.

(don't you love wet blocking, it takes away all the little flaws)
What do y'all think? (OMG I am channeling Paula Dean!) LOL

mwhite
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I just knit mine regularly but snug up after those sts into the yos. And blocking does erase most of the flaws...

Since I'm on the Alita, I'll share a tidbit...

<- 2 means undo 2 sts
-> 2 means jog ahead 2 sts

A very important point to notice unless you wanna tink back 6 rounds. And the Alita has dozens of the jog ahead rounds but only 1 (ONE) undo round...:tap:

DudeWithSticks
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Another option is to [k1, YO, k1, Yo, k1] into the single yo - this gives a nice smooth edge to the hole.
In all your opinions, what would you suggest? 5 yo's, 4, 3? And if you're using it as a blanket, maybe the hole would be better smaller so your toes won't get caught! LOL
I am going to try and do Mario's way and see what it looks like. I am four rows away from the 5 yo's and OMG it is taking FOREVER... this is with Mary's extentions. I have practiced some crochet chains, and I think that I can do it. My chain stitches still aren't too even, but I think that once it's blocked and I pin and stretch it out, it will look okay.
Okay, here's my last question for you about the bind off...
It says k1 onto the right needle... and what do you do with that? I have looked at the link that you provided Rebecca, and it looks like they started the bind off from the left hand needle... So if that's the case what's the one stitch on the right hand needle for?
Just trying to figure this all out, probably going to do the bind off tomorrow.
Please let me know ASAP about the yo's getting there in a few hours (I hope)
This one is killing me for some odd reason, and it's almost the same stitch count that I did for the Hemlock. Dunno why?
It's gonna be a big one... just started my third hank (eco wool) and I am on row 77 (with Mary's extentions) about half way through.
I am going to finish it tonight, even if I am crossedeyed doing this. I need to start something else! LOL I figure that if I can do a doily (afghan) a month, I'll have a lot of nice gifts for the special people on my holiday list.
:muah: :hug:
---Gino

Minou
06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Gino,

Put the single knit stitch on your crochet hook to start the bind-off (easiest to slip it up the handle of the hook). Cap off your right needle. Once the loop is on the hook, stick the hook through the backs of the first three stitches on the left needle. Hook a loop of the working yarn and pull it through the three loops. You'll have two loops on the crochet hook. Then loop another bit of working yarn and pull it through both loops on your needle. You will end with one loop on the hook. This is the single crochet. From there, you chain the series of chain stitches (hook the yarn and pull it straight through the single stitch on the crochet hook). When you have enough chained, you'll still have just one stitch on the hook. This is just like the beginning. Stick the hook through three stitches, etc.

If you use a hook several sizes smaller than your needle, it keeps your chains tight and makes it easier to work around the cable. I also used five chains instead of eight because I didn't want huge scallops.

This works very well if you do all of your crochet bind-off on the cable part of your needle. Leave the bound off stitches on the cable instead of slipping them off right away. You'll never drop a stitch accidentally if you do this and it makes it easier to catch all three loops since they're not so tight on the needle.

I don't have a blanket ready to finish, but once I do, I'll take pictures and post them. Holler if you need help and check your email. Good luck!

-Rebecca

DudeWithSticks
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks Rebecca,
It's completely clear with your instructions! I just didn't know what to do with that one stitch... LOL
Also, this is going to be easy, since I just got the knit pics, cap the right side and work on the left.
Also, can I just say... I LOVE THE KNIT PICKS NEEDLES!!! Not as slippery as metal, more confortable to use than metal needles and I think I am liking them more than my bamboo! Well, at least for this project. My knitting is different on these needles, I am knitting looser with the wooden knit picks than my Clover Velvets!
What to do what to do. Do any of you have the knit pick single pointed needles and how do you like them more than bamboo? May have to try them out...

gargoylelib
06-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Ok, I'm having a brain something hehe I'm fixing to start my egeblad
blanket. I'm not sure what size needles to use. I know with lace
you generally use a larger needle that what the yarn label recommends
to help create open lacy look. Is that the case with these blankets
or is it just personal taste? A denser less lacy blanket on smaller
needles or an open airy blanket on larger needles?

I'm not sure what yarn to use because what I was planning to use
I've discovered is Aran weight and I'm not sure it will give a large
enough blanket so I was thinking of holding it doubled. This is
where the headache has come in about what size needle to use hahaha
yeah, I'm over thinking this....

DudeWithSticks
06-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Good question Libby. I am using worsted weight and I just followed the label on the yarn. So, #10 needles. I am sure one of the peeps here can answer your question!
Okay, I just went and did the 5 yo's and did the knit stitch. I just did my first row with the 5 yo row, the knit row and back on my repeats. I just knitted into the them and they are really loose and not so nice. Does it get better once you do a few more rows after? I hope so cause now it looks like a big round blob! ACK!!

mwhite
06-30-2008, 07:14 AM
OMG! It sounds like y'all are knitting into the wee hours of the morning and not stopping to get any sleep!!!!

Minou
06-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Libbie,

Egeblad has some beautiful texture in the "leaves" if you knit it on smaller needles. I think it will be beautiful either way, but I really like focusing on the texture than the open spaces. I shoot for a nice close, but not cramped, stockinette. Personally, loose stockinette drives me crazy. I did mine with fisherman weight yarn on 9's for the start and 10's for the rest. There's a bunch of detail photos at http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou/egeblad.

Knitting with a worsted weight held double also gives fantastic texture. I did that with my first Hemlock and also my Alita. I swatched holding single and double and ended up using 9's for one and 10's for the other. Both of them turned out really well, and actually the pink Hemlock Ring with Cascade 220 held double is one of the best blankets I ever knitted, simply because of the texture that resulted.

If you're not sure, try swatching with 9, 10, 10.5 and/or 11's to see how holding it double turns out. This is all personal preference and it totally depends on the yarn you chose. I can't wait to see it!

-Rebecca

Minou
06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
No kidding Mary. I was up past midnight knitting a baby bootie. I realized while I was swearing at my straights that I can no longer knit with huge clunky needles! I felt like I was in a rowboat. I ripped it out, pulled out a short KnitPicks cable and a set of US 6 tips and finished the goofy little thing in an hour. My Baby Surprise Jacket taught me how easy it is to knit flat on circs.

Lisa1216
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Gino~Thanks for asking the questions on the Egeblad bind off and Rebecca for your explanation. I was going to ask the same thing this morning.

Libbie~I'm using 2 stands of worsted weight yarn held together on size 10s. I'll post pics as soon as it's blocked.

gargoylelib
07-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Ok thanks for the tips! I decided to just try one holding the yarn
single and I'm using 5mm needles which according to my needle
gauge is a US size 8. I got the center swirl done and it's looking
ok so I think I will just keep going and see what size blanket I end
up with! :)

DudeWithSticks
07-01-2008, 05:12 AM
I'M DONE I'M DONE!!! The bind off wasn't as hard as I thought it was! Thank you thank you thank you Rebecca! My chains aren't exactly the best, but it got easier after like the 200th scallop. I don't know exactly how many, too tired to count now... LOL

I will take before and after pics of the blankie. I am going to try and block tomorrow, which is actually today. It took me about 2.5 hours to do this. Well, about half the time for the hemlock bindoff. I think that the hardest part was getting the hook into the three stitches and also holding the yarn in my left hand, since I'm a thrower...
Thanks again all! Think I am taking a break for a few weeks on Doilies for now. Gotta a few scarf projects to do now. Funny thing working on the falling water scarf and almost done with that, and talk about fast! Only three short repeats per row!

Minou
07-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Libbie,

Good luck and I am really interested to hear what size you get with worsted/aran weight yarn. What color did you choose?

-Rebecca

Minou
07-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Gino,

I'm so glad the bind off went well! It's so much easier than the Hemlock once you get the hang of it. I learned to crochet before I knit, so I knit continental. I was used to holding the yarn on my left and I can't figure out how to throw.

I hear you on the scarves. I finished my flame chevron scarf after Alita and it went so quick. I have no idea why I was procrastinating. The tiny needles were a bit of a switch again - going from 10's to 2's was odd. :)

I'm off to ride roller coasters today and apartment hunting tomorrow, so no knitting for me!

mwhite
07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I'M DONE I'M DONE!!! The bind off wasn't as hard as I thought it was! Thank you thank you thank you Rebecca! My chains aren't exactly the best, but it got easier after like the 200th scallop. I don't know exactly how many, too tired to count now... LOL

I will take before and after pics of the blankie. I am going to try and block tomorrow, which is actually today. It took me about 2.5 hours to do this. Well, about half the time for the hemlock bindoff. I think that the hardest part was getting the hook into the three stitches and also holding the yarn in my left hand, since I'm a thrower...
Thanks again all! Think I am taking a break for a few weeks on Doilies for now. Gotta a few scarf projects to do now. Funny thing working on the falling water scarf and almost done with that, and talk about fast! Only three short repeats per row!

:yay: :woohoo: :muah: :cheering: :woot: :hug: :thumbsup: :mrgreen: YAY HOORAY!!! Now, that wasn't so bad was it? :teehee: Can't wait to see pictures!!!

DudeWithSticks
07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
:yay: :woohoo: :muah: :cheering: :woot: :hug: :thumbsup: :mrgreen: YAY HOORAY!!! Now, that wasn't so bad was it? :teehee: Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Hehehe...
No, it wasn't too bad, just have to get better with my tension for the crochet. At first it was soooooo tight and I couldn't and the yarn wasn't pulling well. But it did get easier now and feel a little, not a lot more confident. But oh well...
Thanks so much Mary for the extention. Even though it drove me crazy near the end!
I am going to try and do photos a little bit later.
:muah: :woohoo: :hug:
And I hated the 5 yo's I think that it's too big and my stitches still don't look that great. I think that I am going to do 3 yo's, the hole may not be too large, but I think that it will look better.

gargoylelib
07-02-2008, 03:00 AM

Can't wait to see some pics! Well done on learning the crochet
bind off! :) I crocheted before I knitted so I've always knit
continental. I can imagine an English knitter being a bit
confounded by the yarn holding in crochet.

Libbie,

Good luck and I am really interested to hear what size you get with worsted/aran weight yarn. What color did you choose?

-Rebecca

Yeah, I figure if it's smallish I can gift it as a baby blanket (babies
coming all around me hehe) or use on my dd's bed as a decorative
blanket/day covering. I'm just using some stash yarn I had from
a sweater that never happened hehe It's called light denim and
has that sort of stonewashed denim look.

mwhite
07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Almost done with my "Alita"!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Hopefully, will finish sometime today and get it blocked. Then...it's onto finish the Modified Extended Hemlock Ring for which I've had to order 60" needles. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

DudeWithSticks
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Almost done with my "Alita"!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Hopefully, will finish sometime today and get it blocked. Then...it's onto finish the Modified Extended Hemlock Ring for which I've had to order 60" needles. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:
That's great Mary, can't wait to see your extended extended extended pattern. LOL Yeah, the 60" cables are so nice and wow, if they made 80" that would be amazing. then you'd really be able to tell what you're knitting. But, I'll settle for the 60" anyday!
Libbie- Thanks, for me, it was a challenge, as crochet never really interested me. My Mom, knits and crochets beautifully, and now she's asking me for advice on yarns and how to's. LOL But yes, I think that the crochet bind off is so much easier.
Still not blocked yet, :( (Egeblad) but just measured it and it's about 48" across without the block. I think that this one is going to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier then the hemlock, as it's laying pretty flat already, but I know it will stretch pretty far as it's very stretchy as is.
Hopefully, I'll have some pics tomorrow at somepoint. But no promises. :P

gargoylelib
07-04-2008, 06:34 AM
I have a question that hopefully one of ya'll can help me with :)

I'm on row 80 of Egeblad fixing to head on into Mary's extension
rounds and it's getting really tight on my needle. I can't find any
longer than 80 cm so just getting a longer needle is not an option.
I have more than one because I started out using 2 circs so I can
go back to that but I'm a bit concerned with so many stitches
that the circular not in use could start dropping stitches. I was
thinking of going and getting an additional 80 cm needle and work
off 3 just to make sure the stitches won't be crowded when the
needle is left hanging. What do you think? A perfect time to
compare needles as I was going to buy an Addi (never used before) and I have 2 other brands. All working on teh same project I
suppose I would know for sure which brand I like the best haha...

I suppose the other option would be to use some needle stoppers
on the ends of the needle that is left hanging but that sounds like
it would slow down the process....I'm all about efficiency haha

mwhite
07-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Libbie, I used 3 needles when I was doing my first extended Hemlock and personally, don't think it's very efficient. However, if you don't have access to longer than 80cm(32"), it's the only way you can work that many sts....if you're going into the extensions for the Egeblad, you're gonna have over 520 sts! It can be done! Sorry, I'm no help here!

DudeWithSticks
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I have a question that hopefully one of ya'll can help me with :)

I'm on row 80 of Egeblad fixing to head on into Mary's extension
rounds and it's getting really tight on my needle. I can't find any
longer than 80 cm so just getting a longer needle is not an option.
I have more than one because I started out using 2 circs so I can
go back to that but I'm a bit concerned with so many stitches
that the circular not in use could start dropping stitches. I was
thinking of going and getting an additional 80 cm needle and work
off 3 just to make sure the stitches won't be crowded when the
needle is left hanging. What do you think? A perfect time to
compare needles as I was going to buy an Addi (never used before) and I have 2 other brands. All working on teh same project I
suppose I would know for sure which brand I like the best haha...

I suppose the other option would be to use some needle stoppers
on the ends of the needle that is left hanging but that sounds like
it would slow down the process....I'm all about efficiency haha

Happy 4th to all the US peeps! Oh and to the UK peeps too. :P
Hi Libbie,
When I did the Hemlock I bought the 40" addi's in bamboo and the reason that I did stop on the Hemlock at row 131 or so is that even with those it was getting too tight.
On the Egeblad I purchased the Knit Picks interchangable kit in wood and purchased the 60" cable separately. It was the best investment that I have ever done. And I am hooked on the needles as well as the cables.
There is plenty of room for all your extentions and the extra 20" from the 40's are great and needed of any doily going forward.
For some odd reason, the Egeblad crampped up my needles faster then with the hemlock.
So, I don't know where you live in the world, but I would suggest getting the Knit Pick needles. They come in both metal and in wood.
Hope that helps!
---Gino
Oh and I just read this... OMG! Another reason to get these. I just tried it and it works GREAT!

Options Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needle Cables

by Knit Picks
The smooth cable join lets your stitches slide around your knitting needles with no snags. The long threaded join along with the tightening hole make for extra security that the cables and tips of the knitting needles will stay connected. And the flexible cable has very little memory so you can start knitting immediately. Simply unscrew the needle tips and screw on the cable caps to keep your knitting safe when your needle tips are required elsewhere. Lace knitters will love that they can tie a piece of scrap yarn through the tiny hole in the cable end (used for the tightening key) and thread a lifeline through their lace at regular intervals while they are knitting. Available in 24", 32", 40", 47" and 60" lengths. (Final cable length is achieved when both needles and cables are secured together.) Set includes two cables, four end caps and tightening key.

gargoylelib
07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Ok guys, thanks for the info! Unfortunately the knitpicks are not
an option (hehe...bad pun :)) because I live in Finland and although
there is a supplier in Norway I think, it is double the price. I guess
I'll be making an order on my next trip to the U.S. :)

So 3 needles it is....I'm going to put it off for as long as possible
but my hands are alreayd starting to hurt from pushing the stitches
around so probably only a few more rounds.

mwhite
07-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, I'm on the East coast so it might be cheaper for me to send to you than someone on the West coast.... My son has an Ebay store and ships internationally to Finland, Sweden and Russia all the time. So why don't I try to locate some 60" circulars for you and just ship to you. Would this help or be any cheaper? PM me your exact mailing address and the type of needles you'd like and let me do some research...will help if I can.

gargoylelib
07-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks Mary! I pm'd you :)

Libbie

mwhite
07-05-2008, 09:16 AM
And I PM'd you back! I think the "Options" are the best value! Just let me know!!!

mwhite
07-06-2008, 02:03 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2642220729_7bb1f76c7a.jpg

Not a great picture but still clearly done!!! 48" diameter using size 6(US) needles and about 945 yards of a 3/2 Mercerized Cotton in Willow green. :woohoo:

Minou
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Mary,

It's very pretty! That turned out surprisingly large too. Are you going to use it as a table covering? I just love the border of Alita. I think the color you picked is wonderful.

-Rebecca

mwhite
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
It DID turn out large! I know you said your Alita blanket was huge! I just love the 3/2 mercerized cotton. I actually made it to show and sell as a commission item in our local artisans outlet called "MACK" which I think stands for "McCormick Arts and Crafts at the Keturah". I'm hoping to enter several at one time since they have to be juried.

Was playing around yesterday with my new Marianne Kinzel books, which are so wonderful and made this out of some stash...it turned out to be either an acrylic or polyester because it wants to turn up. I starched it but still pretty funky... will stick with cotton or linen from now on.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2644794288_125403fdfb.jpg

I also did one in pink with 3/2, waiting for it to dry from blocking!

gargoylelib
07-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh wow, Mary, that Alita came out beautiful! I really like the color.
That is definitely going to be next one I try, I just love the way yours
came out!

Libbie ;)

Lisa1216
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Mary-Your Alita came out beautiful! :inlove: Love the color! I can't wait to start mine!

DudeWithSticks
07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Folks...
Egeblad is blocked. But I couldn't find the balance of T pins anywhere and had only some. Some meaning that I could block about 1/8 at a time and of course, I didn't plan ahead and have them ready to go. I don't where they are. Maybe the T pin theives took them.
SO, the blocking wasn't as great as I wanted it to be. So, I think that when I do find them, I will reblock. I had to actually pin a section wait a few minutes then unpin and repin another sections. UGH. I just wanted to pin it enough so that the bind off wouldn't look so bad.
The pics were a little dark and I don't have an actual flash on this camera... go figure.
Finished size is 54" and I think that if I reblock this I can easily get 58-60" And I need to do this on a larger bed! The double didn't cut it in the guest room!
Anyway, sorry for the novel, but here goes:
Egeblad done with all of Mary's extentions. (Can't remember total rows)
Eco Wool in #8018 colorway Silver used about 2 1/3 hanks. About 1150 yards. Size 10 circular, 3/4 done on Addi Bamboo 24" and 40" and finishing off in Knit Picks Options (Wood) and with the 60" cables. Those were a lifesaver!
Hopefully you'll be able to see the pics... Will promise to do better ones when I get more light or a camera with a flash!

DudeWithSticks
07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Mary,
Your Atila came out great and I LOVE THE COLOR!
xxx
G

mwhite
07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
It looks GREAT, Gino!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :yay: :yay:

I love that color and you did a super job on the bindoff- Tpins or not! Now, what the heck is a photographer doing without a camera that suits him??? :teehee:

Minou
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Gino,

It's huge! I really like how it turned out and the color is great. Mary took the words right out of my mouth. How is it you had a camera without a flash? :)

-Rebecca

DudeWithSticks
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Gino,

It's huge! I really like how it turned out and the color is great. Mary took the words right out of my mouth. How is it you had a camera without a flash? :)

-Rebecca

HAHAHA,

Thanks! Yeah, I like the color too. It has a slight heathered look to it actually, even though it's not. :)

And to Mary and you, the camera that I have is an SLR and it's digital and semi professional so it doesn't have a flash. (you have to have a separate flash that attaches to the top of the camera or use a flash unit, like the ones in the movies.. :( I'll take it outside tomorrow and take a pic! :)

gargoylelib
07-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Wow, Gino, that looks beautiful! That gray/silver color is really nice.
That just goes to show that lace doilies are not stuffy little old
lady pieces any more! :)

Had to share this with everyone on here...a Finnish knitting website,
similar to knitty just put out a new issue and someone inspired by the
Peacocks Tail Doily as seen here:
http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/paafugl.html

They came up with this beautiful shawl pattern (too bad shawls
just are not my thing!):
http://www.ullaneule.net/0208/ohjeet_panache.html

If you scroll down there is a black one that looks amazing!

Karina
07-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Mary - your alita is lovely. what is a 2/8 cotton is that like a fingering weight or thinner?

Gino - your Egeblad is beautiful and enourmous. is this going to be a gift or are you keeping this one?

Karina
07-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Libbie - that is really nice. I can't read Finnish, so did they just cut out a 1/3 of the doily and went back and fourth and maybe added some edging?

I would never have considered myself to be a shawl person, but after joining on here I have seen so many beautiful patterns that I am going to make a few of them for myself, just to cuddle up in when watching TV in the winter.

I have just joined the Mystery shawl KAL which starts on the 12th July and have bought some Drops Alpaca to make it with can't wait to get started.

mwhite
07-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Mary - your alita is lovely. what is a 2/8 cotton is that like a fingering weight or thinner?

It's 3/2 and it is a fingering weight. The "3" is actually thicker than most used for tablecloths and doilies. I used a #20 slub cotton for my extended Egeblad...very tiny. I've order some 8/2 in a cotton/linen blend and hope to try it next week. These threads(they aren't even called yarns) are used in weaving and crocheting, too. Some of the patterns designed in the early 1900's called for a size 50 or 60! YIKES!!!

Karina
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry for the mix up. I thought I had seen the 2/8 somewhere. I would imagine if i did the Alita in the Eco it would work out to be around 5 ft, which is a pretty good size for a blanket.

mwhite
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah, for sure it will be over 5 feet. I was really amazed at the size of mine when done.

gargoylelib
07-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Libbie - that is really nice. I can't read Finnish, so did they just cut out a 1/3 of the doily and went back and fourth and maybe added some edging?

I would never have considered myself to be a shawl person, but after joining on here I have seen so many beautiful patterns that I am going to make a few of them for myself, just to cuddle up in when watching TV in the winter.

I have just joined the Mystery shawl KAL which starts on the 12th July and have bought some Drops Alpaca to make it with can't wait to get started.

Hmmm...not sure how they did it exactly. My Finnish skills are
not good enough for me to do a side by side pattern comparison. I
do fine with basic patterns but I don't think I'm ready for a more
complicated pattern like this. Just thought I'd post the pic in
case anyone here was feeling adventurous and wanted to come
up with a pattern themselves...:)

What's the Mystery Shawl KAL? Sounds like fun...

Libbie

Karina
07-09-2008, 04:33 AM
http://www.bopeepswoolshop.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2&zenid=44df0039bf747125edd712a7f1644efd

This is a link to the pattern which has to be purchased, then you get a invite to join the forum where there is all the info on how much yarn needed and a little test swatch for you to make to see how your yarn works etc. I looked at all the patterns on the site and thought most of them I would buy so did not think I would take much of a chance paying $5.5 for the pattern. Just happened to have one skein of the Drops Alpaca and thought I would try it. it is so lovely and soft. Have now bought enough for the pattern and the needles are ready to go.

lynn893
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, it's taken me 4 days, but I've finally reached the end of this topic.

I must say, to everyone who's posted pictures of their finished projects, that these are absolutely beautiful!!

I am in the process right now of looking for some cotton / linen yarn to do this. I especially love how it turned out in the green (Mary).

I'm also thinking (due to the discussion) that I'll do this in size 6 needles. (Did you guys start on one size dpn's and then go to the same size circulars?)

I'm sure that once I actually start on this project, I'll be posting lots of questions, I only hope that someone is still on this particular thread when that happens... :teehee:

DudeWithSticks
07-10-2008, 01:32 AM

I must say, to everyone who's posted pictures of their finished projects, that these are absolutely beautiful!!

I am in the process right now of looking for some cotton / linen yarn to do this. I especially love how it turned out in the green (Mary).

I'm also thinking (due to the discussion) that I'll do this in size 6 needles. (Did you guys start on one size dpn's and then go to the same size circulars?)

I'm sure that once I actually start on this project, I'll be posting lots of questions, I only hope that someone is still on this particular thread when that happens... :teehee:

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the KAL. Don't worry, we are here to help and answer your questions, regardless if we are done with it. That is why I really like these forums here, everyone is really great and VERY helpful.
I used to do DPN's now I do Magic Loop (And I love it now that I finally got how to do it) If anyone is looking for another option than DPN's, go to www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and type in magic loop knitting in the search field. I think that Amy's tutorial on here is good, but there are a few others that sort of explained it differently and was easier for me to get.
A lot of the members on here start off with smaller DPN's to do the center motif then graduate to the larger/correct size to finish the pattern. It's just best to swatch and see what you like better and also if it's not too tight on your needles.
I am working on a pattern now that has a lot of mesh and I swatched this about four times to see what size I liked best. I feel that if you're going to put all this time and effort into this, make sure you're happy with it from the beginning. :-P
I normally just start with the needle size that is recommended for the yarn weight and go from there. I knit on the tighter side, so I usually go up a size. But since I got the Options from Knit Picks, I have gone down a size. So, it just all depends.
Good luck on your Egeblad and ask away, we are here for you and everyone else!
Cheers,

Gino

mwhite
07-10-2008, 07:07 AM

I found some cotton/linen at Yarn.com in the Valley Yarns but it's an 8/2, kind of small but good for making tablecloths. I've ordered a cone and anxious to start working with it. My intention is to use size 1 or 2 needles and make a larger tablecloth in an oval shape for my daughter. I did the Alita and my second Egeblad(the rose colored one) in 3/2 100% Mercerized cotton. Both were done on size 6 needles and I still had great stitch definition.

One of the biggest reasons I like using the Valley Cotton is that it is really inexpensive...another is that there is tons of yardage on one cone and can usually finish a piece without having to weave in ends except for the beginning and end...THIS IS A BIG PLUS!!! The 3/2 has 1260 yards per pound and is coned that way. I was a tad intimidated with using the smaller threads and needles but now I wouldn't do it any other way!!!

lynn893
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
ok, I'm heading off to Romni Wools in about an hour. They're having a 'Boss is Away' sale! (located in Toronto).

Mary, approximately how many cones of the Valley Cotton should I purchase to do the original egeblad? (Not sure if I'll tackle the extensions on my first of this type of project). I'll be using size 6 needles.