PDA

View Full Version : yarn snob

mathwizard
05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Are you a yarn snob? Do you use only the best yarn and look down upon someone who uses acrylic or inexpensive yarns. Shame on you!!! I use the yarn that feels the softest to me. I buy Caron Simply Soft and Red Heart Soft and Lion Brand Microspun all because they are really soft. I also have a bunch of alpaca and that is really soft. If I have the money I will splurge and I would really like some cashmere but it is out of range for the moment. I have to say I go to a knitting group and they are yarn snobs.
I hear about Noro(?) and other expensive yarn and maybe some day but for now I buy what I can afford and dream about the rest. At my knitting group because they are such snobs I hide my yarn label and I have seen a couple of other ladies doing the same. It shouldn't be that way. We are all knitters and the finished product is the most important thing not what expensive yarn it was or wasn't made out of.
I did get some alpaca on ebay for a song and it is soooooooo soft and I still hide my label because I couldn't afford her expensive eight dollar/ball to higher expensive alpaca.
So not right all yarn users should be treated the same!!!!:woohoo:

Rosemary
05-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I am not a yarn snob by any stretch of the imagination. I cannot use wool, so my yarn choices are limited anyway. I also do a whole lot of knitting for local hospitals and Ft. Sam Houston. I could not possibly afford "expensive" yarn for the quantity of hats/booties/blankets that are really needed and appreciated.

Another factor I have to consider is the wearability (is that a word?) of the item. No dry cleaning or hand washing is a requirement. It must be machine washable. I also live with a dog and a cat, so the dryer is necessary to remove any hairs that happen to get on the item when they check out my work.

Besides that, babies aside, I need the stuff to be soft.

Bottom line - even if I could afford the "other" yarn, I wouldn't use it.

I don't let the "snobs" get to me. I hold my needles high and just smile at them if they make some snobby comment. Drives them nuts.

Mulderknitter
05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I just use whatever I have that is appropriate for the project. I do use the higher end yarns, but only if they work. If they don't work for the project it doesn't matter how good the yarn is. I regularly use Caron simply soft and others, they are machine washable and frogabble where other yarns like alpaca aren't really frogabble. And there are acrylic or manufactured yarns that feel better than the more expensive yarns anyway. Unless it's silk. then you've sold me:roflhard:

dustinac
05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
:hug: don't hide your labels...be proud of your knitting and what your working with...don't let them have the say on that...

I use Caron Simply soft...and I use Bernat for a lot of baby items...I use a lot of Paton's yarns...I do buy a lot of yarns that some would consider on the snob end...but that is when I can and also Knit Picks has great prices for different yarns...as long as you are happy with what you are working with then it doesn't matter...just enjoy the knitting :happydance:

Sunshine's Mom
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Amen to all your posts! I'm not a yarn snob and don't agree with that concept. I love Caron Simply Soft for so many things. I'll admit I love sock yarn, but will only splurge occasionally. Otherwise, I get my sock yarn from Knit Picks when it's on sale. Sales are good.

Plantgoddess+
05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
There are snobs of all types. Some wouldn't be caught dead driving anything less than a BMW or Mercedes others just want transportation. I buy yarn according to the use of the item and my budget. I can't justify spending huge amounts of money for socks or even sweaters just to wear grocery shopping.
People like your knitting group need to find someway of feeling superior, which to me makes them sad.

SandraS
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm a cheap snob I guess. Can you be a snob and be cheap? I discovered wool when I learned to make socks. I used Caron SS in the past, but the last time I used it, the quality seemed to be poor. Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn and Vanna's Choice is sooooo yummy! I would knit with string if it would give me the right gauge, drape, and size! And if it's not on sale, a coupon, or free/low shipping, I won't buy it. Patterns plug a certain yarn, but I would be thrilled to get the same look with the lower cost acrylics. Acrylic is hot in the summer, but cotton yarn is heavy and more expensive.
The only reason I went with wool for my socks is the warmth requirement. My feel sweat in acrylic and get cold. In fact I was forced to learn to knit socks when I couldn't find wool socks for women in the stores!
So maybe I'm a snob in reverse. You paid how much for that yarn????

Crycket
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I am not rich enough to be a yarn snob. I drool when I walk into the yarn stores...but then I also drool when I walk into a petting zoo and see the Llamas, alpacas and sheep....so it is what it is....

I use what ever is most accessable. If that is Red Heart...it is Red Heart...price is a concern...but when it matters...I will get the good stuff *smiles*....It is almost the difference between getting a cheap grocery store cake, and buying a wedding cake from a really fancy bakery. The grocery cake is sweet and serves its purpose....but the wedding cake....well...that is just ambroisa!

annomalley
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I use a little of everything and it largely depends on my budget, whether or not I like it, and the project I'm working on. If I want to use something that costs more, I'll save up the money to get it. Just because a yarn costs a lot of $$$, doesn't mean it's the softest or the best. There are expensive yarns I hate working with and inexpensive yarns I hate working with.

People shouldn't be made to feel bad or inferior because of what brand of yarn they use. That's really dumb. I mean, if the finished product looks nice and it feels nice and it drapes nice, and you knit it with yarn you bought at a chain craft store, then what's the big deal? If other people have a problem with it, it's their problem.

Simply_Renee
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree. I feel kind of funny posting my stuff on Ravelry with everything coming from Wal-mart. That is the only yarn I have used so far- although I know it will be a slippery slope when I do encounter other yarns too- Wal-mart is bad enough (me wanting to buy everything.)

I can't afford "the good stuff". We're on a tight budget. I refuse to let my inability to buy expensive yarn keep me from enjoying to knit- that's ridiculous.

Maybe if you didn't hide your label the others wouldn't either. Caron Simply Soft is ranked like #4 on Ravelry right now. It's a nice yarn- I am using it for a project right now! If any snobby things make a little comment, I would just ask them if they don't deem you & your yarn worthy to knit with them. Then I would laugh- because people like that are silly, and miserable. Mama said never to look down on anyone unless you're helping them up. Maybe they should donate some of their stash to us. :teehee:

I can't wait to try some of the Knit Picks yarn though- and it's not very expensive at all.

Simply_Renee
05-07-2008, 11:45 AM
So maybe I'm a snob in reverse. You paid how much for that yarn????

I love that!

:cheering:

(although I reserve the right to fall in love with some yarn and buy it as a treat to me at some point...)

MMario
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I buy yarn I like and that I like working with. There are some of the expensive brands that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole if they were given to me - because theyjust don't *feel* good. I've had some other "prestige" brands that were filled with knots and breaks.

Not all inexpensive yarns are good yarns - but there are some.

Wanda Witch
05-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I just began knitting again last October after years of absence. I have learned so much about different yarns available in this day and age from this site, both expensive and affordable. I feel personally that someone who flaunts their 'brand' of expensive yarn is just trying to impress others. A lack of self-confidence, maybe? Anyway, I love the 'feel' of the yarn, the colors and hopefully those that will not break the bank here. Knit with what you want, to heck with the snobs.

jdee
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I agree with all the above. I love caron ss, lion brand, Bernat, patons...I'll knit with anything as long as it's soft.
Hey, maybe you can and the other ladies, who hide their lables, can start your own group. :teehee:

Ingrid
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm a yarn snob for myself, because knitting with nice yarn is what I do for myself. It makes me feel good.
I don't criticize or look down on what other people knit with. They're knitting! That's what I notice.
I do get all my yarn on sale, though, if that counts.:shifty:

McKnitty
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
To each his/her own. I've knitted with it all - from cheap-o to really expensive, and for me it depends on the item and and how it will be used.

For instance, I'm knitting dishcloths and I'm using Sugar & Cream. I don't see any reason to use anything more expensive, but another knitter may disagree. I figure these little items are meant to be used and probably won't last forever or be passed down to future generations!

However, I'll use high quality yarn for something like a baby blanket that may possibly be passed down to future generations. The most important thing is that you enjoy the knitting experience and the yarn plays a big part in that. Knit with whatever makes you the most happy!

cecile77
05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I like to use nice yarns but I wouldn't call myself a yarn snob. I like to try all types of yarn, regardless of the cost, as long as it has a nice feel to it. I have knitting/crochet buddies who use Red Heart, etc and although I don't like those brands I don't down them for using it. Besides, I will browse 20 different websites to find the best prices so if anything I'm a yarn cheapo! :)

SandraS
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM
well, snob is just a label and nobody wants a label. There's some yarn that absolutely makes me purr to touch it, much less work with it. If I can gain some amount of pleasure from paying more for the good stuff, then I won't feel guilty about it. (refer to husband's golf budget) No one should be judged by how little or how much they spend on yarn and if I were in a snobby knitting group, I would be looking elsewhere for a group more yarn friendly. And one that is always in the loop on sales!

KnittinMitchie
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm not snobby a bout the yarn i use but do perfer the softer yarns. If you come to my house right now you will find red heart, peaches and cream, and some caron SS. Now I do spin my own yarn and I guess you can say I'm snobby about where I buy my fiber from. I've got 2 places I like to buy from right now and am looking at a couple others so I ahve a better color selection.

mathwizard
05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I love the yarn I work with and there a few really nice ladies in the knitting group. BUT the owner of the shop is there most of the time when the group gets together and most of the group will kow tow to her and her opinions. She flaunts Lily Chin's name and someone naming a yarn after her. But her and her opinions are the most important and I really think that since I enjoy some of the women there I will stick with the group but will proudly show off my choice of yarn from now on. THANK YOU MEMBERS FOR YOUR OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS. YOU HAVE MADE MY :woohoo:DAY!!!!! :yay::cheering:

suewoz
I would not call myself a yarn snob but the more I see of the yarns at our new LYS the more in love I fall with them. Now going to Micheals does not see so fun or JoAnne's. However, it is expensive so what I do is go in and feel everything and dream about what projects I am going to make someday with them. I use the good yarn on certain projects where it really matters and on others that i want to be really, really washable I use the cheaper yarn. some yarns I won't use as is not soft or it frays or whatever. I have never been afraid to show a yarn label however.

Mike
I'm an anti-snob.
There are plenty of natural fibers I'd like to make stuff out of, but there's no way I'm paying that much so I can put that much more labor into something.

A wool blanket I made would've been over $350 just for the yarn if it wasn't on clearance.

I compare everything to the cost to buy it pre-made.

Jax3303
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I wont work with a yarn I don't like the feel of. Brands don't mean a damned thing to me. I HATE noro yarns, esp kureyon because it's scratchy and full of vegetable matter, it's pretty to look at, but murder to my senses to touch. I also like caron Simply soft, but I can't stand the feel of any of the red heart yarns that I've had contact with. Also, whenever I can I will work with wool or another natural fiber over acrylic. Fiber content does affect the outcome of a project and I prefer the look and feel of natural, blockable fibers in a FO. Every fiber has it's place in a knitters stash, and every knitter has fiber preferances.

wishfulthinking
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
The lady at my LYS tried to steer me to $8 yarn for dish cloth making which I thought was ridiculous! When it became obvious that I was sticking to my ball of Sugar & Creme she walked away. I've found my LYS to be very intimidating. The yarns are beautiful but I get the feeling the employees look down their noses at me if I don't snap up the most expensive stuff. Maybe its just me, or maybe I won't feel that way after I've knitted awhile and have more confidence.

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
The lady at my LYS tried to steer me to $8 yarn for dish cloth making which I thought was ridiculous! When it became obvious that I was sticking to my ball of Sugar & Creme she walked away. I've found my LYS to be very intimidating. The yarns are beautiful but I get the feeling the employees look down their noses at me if I don't snap up the most expensive stuff. Maybe its just me, or maybe I won't feel that way after I've knitted awhile and have more confidence.
Look at it as shopping for anything. The clerk is going to try to upsell you whatever you're shopping for. There is generally a higher profit margin on the higher end merchandise, I imagine yarn would be the same.
Would you let a clerk talk you into a more expensive appliance than you wanted? More expensive clothing?
I can empathize because it's difficult for me to stand up and say no when pressured. I spent $50 on 6 skeins of yarn at my LYS just because the owner looked so desperate for a sale. I think it may be the only sale she made all week. I still think of how much more I could have gotten at Knitpicks for that money.

Mike
05-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Look at it as shopping for anything. The clerk is going to try to upsell you whatever you're shopping for. There is generally a higher profit margin on the higher end merchandise, I imagine yarn would be the same.
Would you let a clerk talk you into a more expensive appliance than you wanted? More expensive clothing?
I can empathize because it's difficult for me to stand up and say no when pressured. I spent $50 on 6 skeins of yarn at my LYS just because the owner looked so desperate for a sale. I think it may be the only sale she made all week. I still think of how much more I could have gotten at Knitpicks for that money.

Maybe I'd better stay away from the LYS. I don't like to be pressured and I'm sure it won't help their customer base any if I yell, "You want me to pay $100 to make a sweater? Are you going to knit it for me?"

I even got loud when Walmart tried to rip me off for $40 on a bad DTV converter box (offered to refund my $9 but was going to keep the $40 no re-issue coupon).
I hate stupid and I really hate getting ripped off. When stupid tries to rip me off I boil over. :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-09-2008, 05:56 AM
I feel fortunate that my job takes me overseas and I can buy some really nice yarn.. at "NORMAL" prices. I do buy yarn-- because, I know that when I get to AMERICA again... this school teacher can't afford to pay the LYS prices that they charge for the same yarns.

So, I'm looking at my yarn stash as an investment.. for my current and future knitting... (does that excuse to buy yarn work?):teehee:

msmelody
05-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I think any day that ends in Y is a great excuse to buy yarn, so that works perfectly in my world. Now if you want to buy some of that great yarn, and pass on the savings to the rest of us, it would be great.

mathwizard
05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I went to my knitting group and proudly showed my yarn labels and all. There are still snobs there but others ohh and ahhed over my yarn. YEA!!!! At the store the owner had this project bag with three hole in the top for you to thread yarn through. If was kinda netty and had a zipper closer but the price almost made me faint. It is a nice little bag for keeping yarns separated and not twisted and the cost $35.00. I would rather but her expensive yarn. I don't know where she gets them but they are really selling. I use plastic zip lock bags with holes cut on the sides to thread the yarn through. She doesn't pressure you to buy yarn but there is yarn there I would love to try!!!

mathwizard
05-09-2008, 07:21 AM
My friends in England and Australia would love to get their hands on some of our yarns because they are so much cheaper here. Import duties are costly for them. Every so often I send them some yarn. It is costly to send it now as the countries got together and created one way to send packages and it usually cost twenty dollar or better. I used to be ables to send for around eight but the governments took care of that.

babsnelson
05-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I would love the opportunity to be a yarn snob ;), but my funds just don't allow it. I'm a huge fan of Simply Soft, Wool-Ease (which goes on great sales!), and another soft yarn. I love KnitPicks yarns since they are priced well and have free shipping if you spend $50.

BUT - if I can find a great sale - I will try some of the more expensive yarns. I just bought 4 balls of Noro from Little Knits for $4.65 a ball. Yes, that is still pretty expensive, but I plan on making hats for Christmas gifts. I'm usually willing to spend a little bit more if I'm knitting a gift.

I knit up my first hat this week and I love it. Not enough to pay full price, but I do love it!! (Check out my blog (http://allthingsgreatandcrafty.blogspot.com/) for pictures.)

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I am a natural fibers freak but not a brand snob. I care about fiber and quality and that's all. I've been using a lot of Lion Wool and Wool Ease because I can afford them. If they are not good I don't know it yet. I love Knitpicks because I can get good stuff so cheaply. I have to use acrylics for charity projects but really only like I Love This Yarn and Vanna's Choice. I don't like to touch Simply Soft. I'm odd.

Mike
05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been using a lot of Lion Wool and Wool Ease because I can afford them. If they are not good I don't know it yet.
My Lion Wool hat is warm, not scratchy and has held up to a few hand washings.
I'd comment about it as a thick sock yarn but that pair came out too tight so it's thin and allows a draft to hit my skin. For what little I've worn them it seems OK though and definitely warmer than store bought suit socks.

Lion is one of my personal "snob" brands :)

Moxiemade
05-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I live in a small town with no LYS. The only places within about 50 miles that I can buy yarn is Walmart and Michaels (we JUST got a Michaels, before that it was only Walmart). So I make due with what they have and I learn to appreciate it.

I'd love to have a quaint little yarn shop and to be able to buy exotic yarn, but I can't do that unless I'd like to go on a road trip (and have the spending money I don't usually have). Sure I can buy yarns online, but I like to feel the yarn and to see the exact color choices with my own eyes.

Maybe one day I'll open my own little yarn shop. ;)

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I have had car issues since last fall and thought they were very serious and since I was unemployed I didn't get it fixed until this week. Now that I am mobile again I cannot wait to hit my LYS's. I looked them all up and put their numbers and addresses in my cell phone back in the winter. I should go check the closest one out today but I have nothing to spend today. I should anyway.

Thanks for the feedback on Lion! I have been buying the wool for myself but haven't completed or washed anything yet. I do like it so far. I stocked up on three skeins each of six different colors (ordered fom Jo-Anns and got free shipping) so I could crank out some alligator scarves for kids in the family. I hope they love them and don't get itchy. I don't think any have allergies. My mom saw the pattern and keeps pointing out acrylics that she thinks would be cute but I want to do it in washable wool. She knits in acrylics and I'm very self-conscious of not saying anything to sound like a snob. I have been weird about natural fibers since middle school but I'm not snobby about them on others. I would never want to make anyone else feel bad about their choices. You should use what you love to touch.

ready2knit
05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
First of all, Mathwizard, I don't think you should worry about the yarn you buy, as much as the people you knit with!
I am a yarn snob, but like Ingrid, I knit for my pleasure. I don't have a stash. I knit everything I buy and only buy when I'm ready for a new project. I may spend $150 on a sweater for myself, but I don't go near a Starbucks, check out books from the library and never hit the mall unless I have to.
All that being said, I would never comment on something a person was knitting, other than to praise her/him on a job well done.
Jana