PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of moths??

Slim
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I recently bought some Mission Falls 1824 wool yarn on eBay. Shortly after I received it another ebayer contacted me to let me know she had also purchased wool yarn from the same seller, and found it to be badly moth-damaged. I can't see any sign of damage to my yarn, but it does look shelf-worn and dusty. I haven't checked the insides of the skeins yet. Fortunately, I hadn't stored it with my other yarns. I have sealed it in a bag and placed it in the freezer, but now I'm wondering how to handle it. Does anyone have a favorite method for eliminating moths? What would you do?

Cirrus
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
The Yarn Harlot puts it in the freezer for a while, then takes it out for a while so any surviving eggs can hatch, then puts it back in the freezer for a while again. Hope you don't have any moth damage.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, if a freezer can kill bedbugs (takes 2 weeks) I bet it can kill moths too!

I manage a college dorm so I know all about bedbugs and they are HARD to kill!

At home, I store all my yarn in plastic bins with a bar of Irish Spring soap and so far haven't seen any moths.

Ivy19
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Apparently a low heat works well too.

http://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/f/rid_moths.htm

I hope you and/or the other buyer left appropriate feedback for the seller of these goods on eBay - might save others your headache.

Good luck!

sinistral_needler
05-07-2008, 06:27 PM
At first glance, I thought you were trying to "get rid of mother" ... tee! And right before mother's day too! :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Shotgun.

Debbie
05-08-2008, 03:25 AM
How do you put a bed in the freezer ??

gingerbread
05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
How do you put a bed in the freezer ??

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: I was thinking the same thing.

:waving: