PDA

View Full Version : anthropologie shrug

Ginnyb
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Do you think this could be knit with Peaches and Creme cotton? I want to do a white shrug and I love the feel of cotton for summer...
Here is a link to the pattern. Thanks for any input!

http://peonyknits.blogspot.com/2005/...et-fo-and.html (http://peonyknits.blogspot.com/2005/11/anthropologie-inspired-capelet-fo-and.html)

Jan in CA
05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use P&C. Dishcloth cotton is just not that soft. It does soften some in the wash, but not enough IMO. It's not a joy to knit with either.. tends to be unforgiving.

Go for a softer cotton or a blend. ;)

suzeeq
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
You could do it with that or another cotton yarn. Cottontots might be softer, though P&C does soften up a lot when handled and washed. I'd use a larger needle than a 7 or 8, maybe a 10 or 10; a looser gauge feels softer and it won't be as heavy either.

Mulderknitter
05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I just made that pattern and it's a nice easy knit! Way to go!
I wouldn't use peaches n cream, but if you want to use cotton, I would use TLC's cotton plus. It's a bit softer and easier to work with in my opinion, and only about $2.50 a skein
Good luck!:yay:

KnittinMitchie
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I would use the new Comfy yarn from knit picks. but thats just me. I'm addicted to Knit Picks and just about everything they sell. Suri Dream was my least favorite yarn to work with out of all of their yarn.

Ginnyb
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
okay if I do knit this and say...use a cotton blend, the yarn suggested is bulky isn't it? How do I compensate in the pattern? I am not good at this sort of thing. Do I use the same size needle or what? Sorry for being so dense.
Ginny

Mirl56
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
You need to make sure you catch the guage given. It says 12 sts = 4 inches. Don't worry so much about what size needle to use.

Maybe if you double the cotton yarn?

Mulderknitter
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I would also just double the yarn, but do a gauge swatch first. Though I never do a swatch!:roflhard:

suzeeq
05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
If you double a worsted weight, it comes out thicker than a bulky yarn. You can go up to size 10s with worsted, just keep increasing until you get to the underarm. You can add a few more stitches to the CO if you think it may be too small, but I think it'll come out okay if you stick to the basic pattern. (just adding more increase rows to the length)