PDA

View Full Version : Met Yet Another Knitter Tonight

Knitting_Guy
05-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I accidentally walked over to the bar and grill across the road from the truckstop tonight. It had been a really lousy day and I decided to have a cold one or several and spend some time knitting.

I've been trying to get a load home so I could be there for my mom's throat cancer surgery on Friday but Murphy was determined to see to it that didn't happen. He wins this one as I am not going to make it.

While sitting at the bar and knitting a woman asked about my knitting and indicated that she was also a knitter. She said she's been knitting for a short while and had some troubles and went back to crochet.

Naturally I told her about KH and told her she could pick up some good tips here and told her about Amy's wonderful videos. I hope she checks out KH.

Her friend seemed quite bored as she and I launched into several minutes of knitting related conversation. What the hey, we knitting geeks have to stick together.

She checked out my Options as she had never seen any before, and I gave her a couple of pointers regarding knitting in the round i.e. circs versus DPNs.

It was quite fun to chat with a fellow knitter instead of someone who doesn't knit but has a million questions about why someone, especially a trucker, would want to knit.

tilllie
05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Mason, i always enjoy hearing about your adventures! Prayers for your mom's surgery and recovery. Tillie

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Maybe we knitters need to wear a special uniform when in public??

Maybe crossed needles on a badge or something.. sort of like how those funny shriner's hats immediately identify them as a shriner to all around??

Mirl56
05-08-2008, 06:52 AM
More amazing then the knitters you meet, is how you always 'accidentally' end up in bars knitting!

Sending prayers & warm thoughts to you Mom...

gingerbread
05-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Mason you are the man. You always have great stories keep them coming.
My prayers are with your Mom tomorrow she will come through this. So big :hug: :heart: :thumbsup:

Knit4Pie
05-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I love it! Good wishes to your mom tomorrow.

Slim
05-08-2008, 07:26 AM
There's something about the image of you sitting in a bar, knocking back a cold beer and knitting that brightens my day. Thanks.
I'll be thinking of you and your mom -- please let us know how her surgery goes. Hope you can be there soon.

New Girl
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
I have to agree...the picture of you sitting at the bar drinking a cold longneck with your needles going makes me strangely very happy!

You and your mother are in my prayers, Mason. May God in his great power and mercy guide her surgeon's hands. Please let us know how her surgery goes.

Knit4Fun
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Mason,

My prayers go out to your Mom and that you will be able to visit her soon. :heart:

It's funny how you always find someone who wants to know about knitting or is into it - very cool.

Do you have one of those caps with the straw looped over it? Then you could knit while having your beer at the same time...lol... :teehee:

Happy knitting...can't wait to hear about the next adventures...

McKnitty
05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I accidentally walked over to the bar and grill across the road from the truckstop tonight.

Well, you do seem to be quite 'accident' prone when it comes to those bar and grills! Thanks for putting in a good word for KH. On a more serious note, our prayers are with you and your mother. I hope you can make it home soon.

gotta knit
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I accidentally walked over to the bar and grill across the road from the truckstop tonight.
I haven't been here very long, and I'm sure I've seen a variation of that line more than once. :wink:

Best wishes for your mom's surgery tomorrow. I'm sure she knows you're thinking of her and would be there if you could.

Wanda Witch
05-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I do believe, Mason, you have made my day. Also, feel quite certain everyone here will hold your mother and you in our prayers for a successful surgery and rapid recovery. Make it home safely.

The.Knitter
05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I will put in a good word with Murphy for you Mason. He is bound to listen to me!

I hope and :pray: that your mother will come through this operation well and that her cancer will be completely removed.

Be safe driving tomorrow and get home quickly!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Murphy

Sunshine's Mom
05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Best Wishes for your Mom, Mason.

You know, I may have to "accidentally" end up at the bar. A tall, cold one and some knitting sounds ideal. If I ever meet you out there you can bet I'll buy a few rounds!!

Ivy19
05-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Sometimes "accidents" happen for a reason . . . sounds like you got just what you needed at the time. I'm new here too and am already looking forward to hearing about your next "accident!" I'll be sending all sorts of good vibes for your Mom tomorrow. Hang in there!

CountryKitty
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Prayers for your mom going out here too. And a couple for you for peace of mind and heart....I know it's rough not being there.

cindycactus
05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Mason I am glad you had a enjoyable evening with a fellow knitter. I will be praying for you Mom and you too. It is so hard to be away from our loved ones when they are going through a rough time. Hope you get home soon.:hug::pray:

snowbear
05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I still think you should be the ambassador of knitting...

You & your Mother are in my thoughts. I'm keeping positive thoughts.

khaosx5
05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Thoughts and Prayers...
:knitting:

bambi
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Mason, I will be thinking of you and your mom tomorrow and praying for you.

I love to hear about your knitting stories, too. I have been in plenty of bars and have never once run into a truck driver who knits.

BTW, did any of the interviews you did get published?

Bambi

Knitting_Guy
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, did any of the interviews you did get published?

Bambi

I haven't yet heard. They're supposed to let me know when.