PDA

View Full Version : New vogue mag pattern

MerigoldinWA
05-08-2008, 01:49 PM
My oldest DD wanted me to make pattern #3 in the latest Vogue knitting magazine. She even got the exact yarn called for (in the proper amount:thumbsup: ), but I am giving up on it.

Has anyone else attempted this top? It doesn't look that hard, but the gauge was my problem. :eyes: First of all the yarn labels were wrong about the gauge, which didn't help any. The label says 2 UK; 5mm; 0 US as the needle size. I stupidly assumed they knew what they were talking about. :lol: So this yarn is normally suppose to be worked on a size 0 needle (I ignored the mm and UK as unneeded) and is to work up to 19 st=4 inches. Okay. Now the pattern calls for the yarn to be worked to 10 st=4inches on a size 15 needle. Weird, but I'll try. :lol: Oh, by the way the yarn is Rowan Bamboo Tape.

This yarn is very soft and in my swatching attempts the size 15 needle only gives me about 3 inches over 10 stitches, and that is knitting loose. So I tried a 17. I could hardly knit with that. I managed what seemed to be about 9 inches, over the 60 stitches I was supposed to cast on. It actually looked too narrow when on the needles. Then I took it off the needle to measure it and it will stretch to anything you want. So I don't know what gauge I had. :lol: I was suppose to have 12 rows=4 inches and that was too big.

Maybe the 15 after all :shrug: So I tried that and the gauge is way small and the result with the 17 is ridiculous (it looks like some sort of overcooked pasta). So I'm giving up. According to Webs information page about this yarn, it is really suppose to be knitted on a 8 or 9 (can't remember which, I've looked at too many things) to get 19 st= 4 in. Makes way more sense than the 0. Maybe the mistake on the label is why DD got the yarn for $5 a skein on ebay.

My DD would have liked to have had one, and I hate to disappoint her, but I saw no hope for that gauge, in that yarn making anything anyone would really be able to wear. Has anyone else made this top?

I'm trying a top now with that yarn, designed for a Tahki bamboo tape and it looks much more promising, but now I'm short 2 skeins of yarn for what I need. I'm moving on in faith and hope. :)

suzeeq
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
You went the wrong way with the needle size, you should try using 13s, 11s or maybe 10. You need more sts/inch which means you need to use a smaller needle to get there.

MerigoldinWA
05-08-2008, 02:45 PM
No, the 15 gave me 3 inches with 10 stitches and I needed those 10 stitches to be 4 inches so I needed bigger. I tried smaller needles. I definately liked the end result better, but it was not the called for 10sts=4inches. Darn.

suzeeq
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Does the pattern say anything about doubling the yarn? You could get 2 sts/inch that way, though it would probably loose it's drapiness. You could also check vogueknitting.com for pattern corrections.

MerigoldinWA
05-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I did look for pattern corrections. There were none. I almost always look for corrections on magazine patterns before I begin them (almost always, should be always, lol), they are notorious for errors.

No, the yarn was not to be doubled. I called my old knitting guru about this pattern (ex LYS owner) and she asked that too.

Your ideas are good though. Very reasonable.

I still wonder if anyone out there has actually made this top and figured out what would work. I don't think it will be me. LOL

babsnelson
05-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Are you on Ravelry? You can usually find some great information there about things people do to alter a pattern to get gauge, shape it differently, yarn substitutions, etc. If you're not on Ravelry, I can try and look it up for you and see what I get.........

bobi1218
05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd go with the 15s. It looks like a pretty forgiving knit - like you said, you can stretch it to whatever you want, pretty much. Blocking and seaming should help you out a lot.
I've never worked with bamboo, but I'm guessing it will block out. Don't give up, you can do it!!!

MerigoldinWA
05-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not on Ravelry, but that would probably be a good source for help with this pattern.

I am now about 11 inches into the other one DD liked and it is going fine. I have found 2 other sources for the same dye lot I need. I may not need any more though. I want to get through one whole side and see how much it took before I decide if I need to order more. The yarn is about $10 a skein.

Barb, I would be interested to know how others may be doing on this pattern, but it would be purely academic now. Don't trouble yourself, unless such research is fun for you. Thanks for the offer.

:hug:

babsnelson
05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I did a quick search on Ravelry and found 6 projects - of which 4 were finished.

Those that noted needle size (4) all used a US 15/10 mm. Yarns included - Lily Sugarn'Cream, Southwest Trading Company Phoenix, Louisa Harding Thalia, Rowan Bamboo Tape, Schoeller + Stahl Bermuda, and Rich More/diamante.

None of them noted any gauge issues, but several did make a few modifications to the sleeves, mostly making them longer/shorter. Sorry there isn't more info, but I hope this helps a bit.

And PS - sign up for Ravelry - you won't regret it!!

MerigoldinWA
05-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks Barb. That is quite a variety of yarns. I should have known no one would have gauge issues but me. LOL I actually did put my name in the pot at Ravelry, just now, from your post. Thanks.