PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Adult Sweater Pattern Wanted

LovelyLinda
05-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I am looking for a good woman's pullover sweater pattern for myself. I've made a few items including a lace edged shawl, a cardigan/coat and a felted bag. However my LYS convinced me to try this cable sweater that has a complicated pattern and it is taking me too long and I've afraid I'm now losing interest. So I thought if I had a simple pullover woman's sweater pattern it would get me motivated again.

I checked on knitty.com and found a mellow pattern named Beach and it looks quite nice. Has anyone made this? I've seen people mention Pure & Simple. Do you order their patterns online? How are they for beginner patterns?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Linda

LoriSax
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Do you mean knittingpureandsimple.com?? I was just going to post that question, if their pattern are good for beginner knitters. I would say I am a intermidiate beginner, but they have such nice patterns, and it does not tell the experience level on them??
Lori

LovelyLinda
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes that's the site. I like their patterns too but without knowing the difficulty level or reading through the pattern its difficult to know. I would classify myself as an intermediate beginner but I would like a pullover so I can have a break for long complicated patterns. A quick easy knit.

Jan in CA
05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
KPS patterns are very well written and easy to do. You shouldn't have any trouble at all. I made my first sweater from there (9724 I think) when I'd only been knitting for 3 mos. ;)

LovelyLinda
05-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks Jan in CA. Do you have to order their patterns online or can you buy them at a LYS?

LovelyLinda
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
And 9724 was the one I was looking at as well.

suzeeq
05-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Quite a lot of yarn stores carry them.

Jan in CA
05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Quite a lot of yarn stores carry them.

True, but I'd call around first to check.

Here's a few online stores if end up having to buy it.

I got mine here and they shipped really fast.
http://www.onefineyarn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KPS_W

A few of many others -
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/advancedProductSearch.asp?pcID=23&manu=Knitting%20Pure%20and%20Simple
http://www.fancyimageyarn.com/kps1.htm
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/catalog.php?category=%20Knitting%20Pure%20and%20Si mple

I just realized you're in Canada so you'll have to check to see if they ship there.

LovelyLinda
05-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks I did call one of my LYS and they have 9726 which is the v-neck pullover. I'm going to go and take a look at the pattern tomorrow as I'm a bit nervous to do a v-neck. However the girl at the shop said I'd be fine with a v-neck because its just a series of decreases.

The next step is choosing a yarn as I seem to be sensitive to animal fibre, very itchy. She suggested bamboo or cotton would be good.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions. This site is fantastic for this.

Jan in CA
05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
The next step is choosing a yarn as I seem to be sensitive to animal fibre, very itchy. She suggested bamboo or cotton would be good.

I have problems with wool too so I know what it's like. Frustrating with all the beautiful wools out there! Can't wait to see what you come up with! I've been wanting to knit the V neck for awhile, too. :thumbsup:

gotta knit
05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I made the top-down hooded tunic (KPS #244) for an aunt.
Picked the pattern with her online, ordered it from some yarn store no problem.
Went yarn shopping locally with basic gauge in mind (heavy worsted, 4sts/inch). She chose Patons Decor based on colour - Rich Grey Heather. Not a fancy yarn and I adjusted needle size a bit to fit gauge, but turned out beautifully and is machine washable.

SandraS
05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to achieve gauge for the Summer Cardigan and not having any luck, but I trudge on. The pattern looks easy, once I get the yarn settled. I ordered mine from an eBay seller that had low postage rates. I don't have a LYS, so all my shopping is online.
The patterns calls for DK weight with worsted gauge. So far, I haven't been able to make it work.

bambi
05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Just about all the major brands of yarn have free patterns on their site. You can always use a different yarn in the same guage if you don't want to buy their yarns. Lion Brand, Bernat, Rowan, etc.

Some of my favorite patterns are on straw.com with the Crystal Palace yarns.

Bambi

LovelyLinda
05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Well I bought both 9726 (v-neck) and 9724 and cast on for the 9724. Because animal fibre based yarns are quite itchy for me I am using Misti Cotton which is a cotton silk blend. It seems very soft and it's been great to work with so far. I cast on yesterday.

Jan in CA
05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
:yay: I didn't use wool for mine either. I used Bernat Denim Style (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle) in stonewash. Be sure to share a photo in "What'cha Knittin'" when you want to share! :thumbsup:

LovelyLinda
05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks I will. And thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

Denise in Michigan
05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks I did call one of my LYS and they have 9726 which is the v-neck pullover. I'm going to go and take a look at the pattern tomorrow as I'm a bit nervous to do a v-neck. However the girl at the shop said I'd be fine with a v-neck because its just a series of decreases.
I don't think the shop person looked at the pattern very closely! The Knitting Pure and Simple V-Neck is knit from the top down with no seaming. The sleeves are shaped with decreases, but the neckline is shaped with increases. Still very easy to do, though!

LovelyLinda
05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Well I bought both the 9726 and 9724. I started with the 9724 and I'll see how it goes. I would like to make the 9726.

Thanks for the information though. I should be ok if I pay attention to the pattern. The lady at the LYS that I ended up getting everything from stressed that I just take the pattern one line at a time and try not to look too far ahead or it'll be overwhelming.

So far so good. :knitting: