PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacation Plans

Silver
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
DH just broke the news... He just called and said that he was planning our summer vacation.

We're going to YELLOWSTONE!!!!

First I was like :noway: Then like :thud:And now I'm like :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering:!!
(sorry that was corny.) :teehee:

So.. anyone who's been there, what can you tell me about the weather in July/August? Things to do? Yarn shops?? :biting:

evona
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I have never been there myself, but my DS spent the summer there working with the Department of the Interior and YCC so I did a lot of research and heard the first hand reports from him. That was his first job and I think it cost me more flying him there and getting him proper gear than he made :rofl:.

The first thing you should know is that they have snow up there until about mid June at times and this year has been a great snow season. It would be a bit cooler than Florida for sure, but you'll get your hot days as well. Basically, bring layers. You don't wanna be caught in a tank top, shorts and flip flops when a cold breeze kicks up :wink: Summer storms are quite common!

My son loved Gardiner, MT, which is near Yellowstone. I'll ask him what places and sites he would recommend and post again. Of course, he wouldn't have any idea about yarn shops though :) I'm sure there are some other members who can give you some hints about that :)

I am attaching some pics he took while there for inspiration for you though. I know that they helped me seal plans with him to take a road trip out there with him as a graduation present :rofl: #1 = Electric Peak # 2 - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone # 3 - My son at the Mt. Washburn summit

Jan in CA
05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I haven't been there since I was 13, but I still remember it. Gorgeous!

Here's a Yellowstone page and it has weather averages. I also found out it's nearly 8000 ft!

http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/weather.htm

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Yellowstone encompasses a huge area. The days can be hot, but the nights will generally be quite cool for a Floridian. I live a couple of hundred miles west in the foothills of the Selkirk Mts and even in mid summer we can get into the 40's. I went x-country skiing there about 4 years ago.
The scenery is incredible. The state has been discovered by the monied and a lot of the small towns cater to upscale tourists and you can get some fabulous meals.
Heading south down towards Gallitin is an incredibly beautiful drive as well. I know you're going to love it.

evona
05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Silver,

So I am talking to my son as I type and he expresses the following.

#1 Hike up Mt. Washburn near Mammoth Hot Springs. He said its a relatively easy hike, but you should wait until your acclimatized to do it because you'll be hiking up to about 10,000 ft. Of course, like Jan said, you'll be starting at nearly 8,000 ft. It would probably take you at least a day to acclimatize if you are living near sea level like we do.

#2 Go to Boiling River, also near Mammoth Hot Springs in the northwest part of the park. He suggests getting there early in the morning to both catch the sunrise and beat the crowds.

#3 Visit the terraces - again near Mammoth Hot Springs (since there is so much to do in this area he says you might want to look at the hotel in Mammoth Hot Springs - no idea what the prices are though. Gardiner is close to Mammoth Hot Springs too and might have more reasonable .

#4 Visit Yellowstone Lake

#5 Have to see Grand Canyon of Yellowstone in the middle/south part of the park.

#6 Madison has a great visitor center that's just been remodeled.

# 7 Mud Volcano or any other geyser basin - Often you'll find things a lot more interesting in the less well known geysers.

What to avoid:

#1 Old Faithful - I know I know - how do you go to Yellowstone and avoid Old Faithful. He says its not worth it and you'll be waiting in a line like Disneyland and probably not catch much of the eruption because it would likely be concealed by a baseball cap or two or twenty or kids on their parents shoulders.

# 2 Bechler - He says its beautiful but FULL of mosquitoes and horseflies.

# 3 Bison - They're aggressive and faster than you and too many people think they are just like cows and get too close. BTW - they can jump so don't think a small fence would protect you. Stay clear and enjoy from afar. He says if you encounter one stay at a 45 degree angle to him or he will think you're challenging him (get out your protractor)

#4 Grizzlies - need I say more - also enjoy from afar far far :rofl:

Things to be aware of or think about:

#1 This is from me as a person who lives low and has climbed to heights above 10,000 ft at least a few time in my life - Drink lots of water and bring plenty of snacks while out and about even if the temperature is cold or just nice. As a person coming from a low area to a high elevation your body and the bodies of your family will need more water and food than usual. One funny way that altitude affects people is it tends to make them feel like they are not thirsty or hungry when their body most needs to be fueled. That results in headaches and crankiness, which will really ruin your day. At worse it could be dangerous if you exert yourself too much or too quickly. HAPE has actually been known to occur among skiers who come from a low area and fly into the ski resort and immediately hit the slopes trying to get the most out of a short vacation. Its just something most people don't really think about. I've NEVER developed HAPE though but I have gotten cranky and headachy due to altitude adjustment. Made me very whiny and my poor BF fed up.

# 2 My son says he can't emphasize enough to bring clothes for every type of weather. He said while he was working there last summer he got sunshine, rain, hail, snow and sunshine again all in one day.

Sorry for such a long post! My son loves the area and can't say enough about it. He has much more to say, but we gotta quit somewhere :rofl: I hope we haven't inundated you.

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-09-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm going to Yellowstone this summer too! It will be my first visit and I'm so excited about it. :cheering:

As many times as I've flown in a plane from California towards central America and to the East coast.. I've never even seen it from a plane.

I have friends who live in Flagstaff...

Silver
05-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry for such a long post! My son loves the area and can't say enough about it. He has much more to say, but we gotta quit somewhere :rofl: I hope we haven't inundated you.
No no.. thanks so much for all the info! I am slightly concerned about the elevation, but we're planning on camping in Yellowstone for about a week, so I guess I'll start getting used to it. 2 years ago, we went to the Grand Canyon and the elevation there is about 6500 feet. We did a lot of walking and it totally winded me, way more than DH and the kids, since I'm the only one that's overweight. But I managed ok and didn't even get any headaches, so I guess that's a good sign? Actually it's the dry air that affects me the most. I feel like a raisin the first day so I tend to drink a lot of water anyway. I drink a lot of water at home even with the high humidity, so as soon as I'm out of the moist air, I'm thirsty all the time... not to mention the dry nose, eyes and skin.

Again, thanks for all the great info. Tell your son it's much appreciated. If you want, or he wants, you're welcome to post more. I'll read it! :)

Oh, and thanks for the tip, but I have to admit, we'll go see Old Faithful anyway. Hopefully within the week that we're there, we can find a less crowded time to see 'er blow. I mean, we have to. ;)

I'm going to Yellowstone this summer too! It will be my first visit and I'm so excited about it.

As many times as I've flown in a plane from California towards central America and to the East coast.. I've never even seen it from a plane.

I have friends who live in Flagstaff...
Yay!! It's our first time too! When are you going? We're going in August. We'll leave home on July 31st and we'll be back on August 13th (kids go back to school on the 18th.)

DH's brother lives in Salt Lake City so that's where we'll go first. He and his family are going to Yellowstone with us, and we'll all camp out in the park for about a week before heading home. I can't wait!! :cheering:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll be in Phoenix June 15-19? *Going for medical tests.. so, I don't know how long that will last?

Then, I'm going to my friend's house in Flagstaff until the 22nd.. and I'll fly to OKLAHOMA.

So, I'll be in the area June 15-22. I might go back that way (before I fly to Germany)-- if they don't (I hope, I hope) do surgery on the injured thumb that I've had for several months. If I do, I'll go to YUMA to see another friend. I've been to NM and thought it was really pretty... so, I'm really looking forward to it. I remember that it was hot in NM, but it didn't feel like it because it wasn't at all humid. Easy to get dehydrated.

evona
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
No no.. thanks so much for all the info! I am slightly concerned about the elevation, but we're planning on camping in Yellowstone for about a week, so I guess I'll start getting used to it. 2 years ago, we went to the Grand Canyon and the elevation there is about 6500 feet. We did a lot of walking and it totally winded me, way more than DH and the kids, since I'm the only one that's overweight. . . .

Oh, and thanks for the tip, but I have to admit, we'll go see Old Faithful anyway. Hopefully within the week that we're there, we can find a less crowded time to see 'er blow. I mean, we have to. ;)

I have gained way too much weight over the last few years and I am overweight as well. That didn't stop me from going up Half Dome (8,800 ft) last year. A lot slower than others (we did it over 2 days and camped in Little Yosemite whereas most people do it in one day) I come from maybe about 900 ft here in L.A. and I would say I was cranky and headachy a bit on the first day, but it passed quickly. The next day I was raring to go and my BF and I were the 1st to get to the top of Half Dome (thanks to our overnight stay). A couple of months later my BFs best friend got married near Yosemite so we decided to hike up Clouds Rest (9,926 ft) after the wedding. I actually found that hike much easier and didn't get cranky or headachy at all :) Point being, I'm sure you'll be fine by at least day 2. Plus, Salt Lake City is 4,266 ft in elevation. I don't know the elevation where you are, but I know Florida is pretty flat and I know 4,266 is much higher than where I live so that ought to help you get used to a higher elevation

I kinda figured you would see Old Faithful. I think I would too :rofl: But that was his tip and I added it. :) Maybe you can go early in the morning enough to beat the crowds as well.

Jan in CA
05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
You don't have to be overweight to get winded at higher elevations, but it probably makes it worse. Just take it easy and drink lots of water!

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
It's a beautiful area and I'm sure you'll love it. Pack for both hot and cool weather.

mks22300
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I've watched shows on the Travel channel about Yellowstone and it just looks amazing! Can't wait to see your pictures!

Silver
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't know the elevation where you are, but I know Florida is pretty flat and I know 4,266 is much higher than where I live so that ought to help you get used to a higher elevation
We're practically at sea level, maybe a few feet up. My ears pop when I go over a tall bridge or when I ride in an elevator for more than 10 floors. That should tell you something. :teehee:

But, like I said, I did ok at the Grand Canyon. I'm just so excited about seeing Yellowstone. I am a geological formation NUT. Caverns and canyons, springs and waterfalls... they just make my heart go pitter-pat!!! :heart::inlove::heart: I think I'm most looking forward to seeing the Morning Glory pool! *siiiiiiiiigh*

Silver
05-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I've watched shows on the Travel channel about Yellowstone and it just looks amazing! Can't wait to see your pictures!
Haha! I just watched "When Yellowstone Erupts" last night. :zombie: Probably not the best thing to watch just before visiting. :teehee:

Oh and yes, there will be pictures. I am a total photog on vacations.

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
YAY for your vacation!!! And watch for bears!