PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Japan

tarrentella
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I am doing my disertation for my MSc comparing Japanes and British 14th/15th century populations (i do palaeopathology).
In order to get the best data for my report it was decided that i shouldnt have to rely on translations of old site reports,i should realy try and work with the material myself. Of course the material is in Japan ....

I have to self fund it as i am MSc not PhD so wasnt sure i could do it until today, but i managed to find a (barely) affordable flight and booked my tickets to got to Tokyo/Kawaski for two weeks in July:woohoo: im so excited i keep squeeing and giggling :woot:

I can't wait! i am flying out two weeks today:yay:. Has anybody every been or lives there? what should i expect, and when i'm not locked in a lab working, what is good for a 23 yr old to do?

Silver
05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
OMG.. how exciting!!! :cheering: Have a great trip!!

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow! Good for you. Hope you have a fantastic time.

PCwombat
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh, that's so cool! I have a few friends going to study abroad there next year, and they're so excited as well.

There's a kid in my school there now, and he has a blog. Here's the link. (http://wilsonj.wordpress.com/) He hasn't updated since November, but in the entries he did post, he did say some of the stuff he did. Also, he's in Nagoya, not Tokyo, but some of the cultural stuff might be the same.

Also, you must take lots of pictures!!

scout52
05-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Congrats. It sounds like a great opportunity. what a fascinating degree!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I've been there.. it is EXPENSIVE! Everything is-- even riding the subway (compared to other places that I have lived in or visited)... however, if you need to buy anything.. they do have the 100 yen stores that are fun to shop in. Since, it's a big city-- a lot of walking happens and it is a safe city.

Enjoy your stay...

tarrentella
05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
iwouldratherbeknitting, that s was i was afraid of.

Like i say i am self funding this, i have already had to dig into mys avins just to pay for the flights, i haven't booked accomodation yet. I am hoping my contacts over there can help with that. I have also applied for a travel grant from my college but the most they give you is 100 and my trip falls outside of its normal criteria, so finger and toes crossed for that.

Karina
05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Good luck with your grant. Sounds like a trip of a life time type of thing, something you will always look back on in the future. Have a great time.

YouCantBuyThisMovement
05-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh my gosh I am so jealous. I hope you have the time of your life.:yay:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok, take a bar of soap or shower gel... in your suitcase... (at least you won't have to buy that there... (check it of course- because of the liquid factor).

They have the noodle soups that are cheap to eat... the tangerines are good (that season is about ending though)- Be prepared for them (unless you are staying in a hotel) not to have regular type items for breakfast-- it's the rice/soup/sort of meal for breakfast- same as it is in Korea. Take some instant oatmeal packets in your suitcase.
Voltage is 220. See if you can buy one of those travel plug converter things.. I think that in Japan it is the 2 round circle prongs? I'm trying to remember.. if they have something different than we do in Korea? I seem to remember more than one type?
Stop drinking sodas now-- if you do drink them-- they will cost much, much more there.

I'll put it this way... I lived in Okinawa about 12 years ago.. now, I know it was probably more expensive-- since, were an island? However, fruit was super expensive-- apples were $5.00 each, canteloupes were $25.00+, (they did go down in price later to about $15.00) and the small cannonball sized watermelons were even more.

However, the Asian pears are a delightful fruit... You can buy those in the streets. Food in the streets will be safe to eat- unless you are the type of have stomach problems? Many American fast food places are there now.

If you like Yogurt at all-- in Asia they have thse tiny little plastic bottles (about 3 inches tall) of a liquid type of yogurt drink and they are YUMMY!

I'm all for the benefits of foreign travel. I'm sure that when you get there-- they will help you find a cheap one room rental.. (think cheap but safe hotel room for long term) or even share w/ a room-mate?

tarrentella
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
thanks for the advice, i wasn't sure about teh plug. I have one of those multi plug adapter things from when i was in the Philippines last year (archaeology is great for travel!). While i was there i got used to the rice for breakfast (and intersting sausage things, and dried fish and bitter melons and lobster, and fish and random cuts of pork ...) but i know what you meen, it is a good idea to take some porrige or similar with you!

I am trying to contact an ex Durham (my current uni) student who is now doing a PhD over there to see if she perhaps has a spare bed i could use for part of the time i am there.

but yeesh $5 for an apple! thats just crazy.

Quiltlady
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Have a wonderful time!! I lived in Misawa, Japan for three years and I loved it. The weekly earth tremors were pretty scarey but other than that we loved it there.:cheering: