PDA

View Full Version : Sock trouble

Nyanx
05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Hiya, I was wondering if anyone can help me, Iv tried several times to knit my first sock on DPN's its fine untill I go to complete the leg in stockinette stitch, I know when you work in the round you are supposed to knit every row to get the desired effect, thats ok, but when I do this... I end up with the purl bumps on the outside rather than the flat side, which is not what my book shows or is suposed to happen.

If I turn my tube inside out, then it looks fine, but will that cause problems later on!

Help im so confused... no idea where I am going wrong.

Any advice much appreciated...

Thanks.. Claire x

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I think that you are knitting with your needles turned somehow so that you are knitting from the inside of the sock. I can see this in my twisted head but I can't think how to say it.

The.Knitter
05-10-2008, 12:13 PM
You should be knitting off the needle that is facing you on the triangle. If you are knitting on the back one then your stitches will be inside out. I suggest you look up Silver's Sock Tutorial. It will help you, AND it has pictures showing how to knit the sock, step by step!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Good luck!

auburnchick
05-10-2008, 02:05 PM
What's happening is that your sock is turned inside out. Just flip the sock inside out, turn the needles around, and away you go.

Cirrus
05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Knit onto a fresh needle off the needle with stitches which is in front of you. For your first stitch, the yarn will be coming from the previous needle which should be on your right. You must knit CLOCKWISE around the sock.

I don't know if you can turn your sock inside out and continue or not, but I hope so. I used to do this a lot and it took me a long time to figure out what I was doing wrong--knitting counterclockwise.

Let us know how it goes.

Plantgoddess+
05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
When you knit the stitches you are working should be closest to you. Think of drinking from a glass, you drink from the side closest to you, it's the same working on dpn's.

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 11:46 PM
That's what I was trying to say, Plantgoddess. Thank you!

Yarnlady
05-11-2008, 08:11 AM
This (http://www.socknitters.com/lessons/lessons.html) might help.

Nyanx
05-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you all soooo much, I got it now, am so so greatful, thank you again :)