PDA

View Full Version : Washington Knitters?

davespurl
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi!

I saw a while back that there was some discussion between people from Washington. Are you ladies still out there and want to talk?

Anne

ArtLady1981
05-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi'ya Anne! :waving:

I am the Artlady...and I live in the Puget Sound area...in Kent, Wa.

Anyhoo...hello! hello! :hug:

1) What is your favorite yarn?
2) What is your favorite thing to knit?
3) Who is your favorite designer?
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite?
5) Are you a Raveler yet?
If not, are you on the waiting list?
If not, what are you waiting for? :teehee:
6) How many years have you been knitting?
7) Do you crochet as well?
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern?
9) What are your prime knitting hours?
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book?

Here are my own answers to my questions (I guess if I expect you to share...I should share first!) ;)
1) Malabrigo (undyed & natural cream)
2) Cardigans
3) Elsebeth Lavold
4) Vogue
5) YES!
6) 37
7) yes, but don't crochet anymore (except to 'trim' knitted things)
8) Puget Sound area (Kent)
9) 9 pm til 3 am
10) Finishing Techniques by Nancy Wiseman

Raeknitsnwa
05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Anne:woot:

I am Rae I think we talked a little in Knitting Help chat last night

1) What is your favorite yarn?-Don't have a favorite yet but I do love Malabrigo(finally got my hands on some for the 1st time ever)

2) What is your favorite thing to knit? At the moment its dishclothes

3) Who is your favorite designer? Don't Have one yet

4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? I like Knit N Style

5) Are you a Raveler yet?-Yes & I love it I am Raeknitsnwa if you are on there add me
If not, what are you waiting for?

6) How many years have you been knitting? A little over a yr I have much to learn lol

7) Do you crochet as well? No but I thought about learning

8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? I am in Auburn, Wa

9) What are your prime knitting hours? it varies usually during the day

10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? Don't have one but I am taking suggestions lol

davespurl
05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Anne:woot:

I am Rae I think we talked a little in Knitting Help chat last night

1) What is your favorite yarn?-Don't have a favorite yet but I do love Malabrigo(finally got my hands on some for the 1st time ever)

2) What is your favorite thing to knit? At the moment its dishclothes

3) Who is your favorite designer? Don't Have one yet

4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? I like Knit N Style

5) Are you a Raveler yet?-Yes & I love it I am Raeknitsnwa if you are on there add me

6) How many years have you been knitting? A little over a yr I have much to learn lol

7) Do you crochet as well? No but I thought about learning

8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? I am in Auburn, Wa

9) What are your prime knitting hours? it varies usually during the day

10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? Don't have one but I am taking suggestions lol
Nice to meet you both! I live in University Place which is essentially West Tacoma.

In response to your questions:

1. Don't have a favorite yarn yet. I've only been buying what I think is pretty and easy to use so far.

2. My favorite thing to knit so far is scarves, though I'm now knitting my first baby blanket.

3.4. Don't have a favorite designer or magazine so far.

5. Not a raveler

6. I've only been knitting for 5 months.

7. I can crochet single and double chains. That's all.

8. Live near Tacoma

9. Knitting hours vary. Usually lunchtime while watching tv (I work from home) or evenings

10. Favorite knitting book so far is Knitting Pretty.

That's it for now. Thanks for asking!

Raeknitsnwa
05-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh Anne .........
You have to join Ravelry (https://www.ravelry.com/account/login) lol oh that place is additcting but its a wonderful place with a ton of great people when you have time stop by & sign up you will get an invite in about a few weeks maybe faster

GirlChris
05-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi. Nice to meet you ladies, can I pop in?

I don't have a favorite yarn, I am such a cheapo I am afraid of falling in love with the good stuff. I do think Paton's Pooch yarn makes a cute and easy scarf that's the only yarn I can even think of off the top of my head.
My favorite thing to knit, gosh. I have knit a lot of scarves lately but I hope to become good at knitting stuffed animals, I just think they are so cute. I did knit a felted hat once that I was just so proud of I couldn't believe I had done it myself, I should make that one again I guess. LOL
I don't have a favorite designer
My favortie mags are the old copies of Family Circle knitting I have, I don't even know if they sill have that mag.
I am not on Rav yet, I looked at it and to tell the truth it was totally overwhelming and intimidating to me, I just felt like it was for "real knitters". I know that's not the way to think so I amy get brave.
I took a knitting class 13yrs ago but I have a hard time saying I have been knitting that long, I am a major on again/ off again knitter. I haven't made very many projects total. I have been 5+yrs without or more and am just starting back up last fall or so.
I would like to learn to crochet
I live in Gig Harbor, WA
Prime knitting hours really vary. If I am in a mode I can try to fit it in constantly. I am a SAHM (well I do work at Swedish/Ballard every other weekend) so I can try to fit it in around kid stuff a bit but usually it is after the kids are in bed so 8-11 or so.
I don't have a favorite book yet either. I have to admit I wing it alot and I think that is why I don't feel like a very accomplished knitter because I rarely know the proper way to do something, I just kinda do whatever works.
Thanks for "listening". See ya around the boards, Chris

jeanius80
06-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi ladies! i am not as active on KH as Artlady! But here I am :)

Soft wools! Malabrigo being the #1
Sweaters and tops for my Peanut! Small and quick (for now)!
I don't have one :teehee:
Interweave Knits and knit.1
Yes, I am jeanius80 there too!
one and a half :yay:
only barely! I need to practice more :blush:
8) Do you live in ... ?
Spanaway
I am a stay at home mom, but mostly at night. I am usually spinning during her nap time though :)
This site! ;) My handy little "Knitter's Companion and my "Stitchionary"

What a fun set of q's Artladay!

ArtLady1981
06-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Welcome all! :muah: I love reading your answers!!! :hug:Thanks for sharing!!

Chris: If you join Ravelry, you can use it just for the patterns if you want to! It has a great pattern search, and often shows photos of other's versions of a particular pattern, using different yarns, with modifications, etc.

If you join, just wade in a little at a time. You may not feel up to filling a notebook with your own projects and stash, but you can snoop through others notebooks (they are public, its ok!) and get ideas for yourself!

That's what I love to do! Snoop! http://bestsmileys.com/peeping/1.gif

KnittyBug
06-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Hello Everyone!

I'm in Washington! (Covington to be exact) I JUST joined! I'm a new knitter and have only been able to take one class so far. Due to a surgery, I wasn't even able to complete it. I'm struggling a bit on the project, but now that I'm on medical leave from work, I'm going to finish it. If my daughter's head suddenly becomes lopsided, I'm sure she will one day appreciate the hat! :-)

Other than that, I have really only made some scarves. My ultimate goal is to be able to make socks for everyone in my family and a sweater for my fiance. I know that is a long way off, but I'm determined.

Since I'm pretty much homebound at the moment, I'm really happy to have found this site!

ArtLady1981
06-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm in Washington! (Covington to be exact) I JUST joined! I'm a new knitter and have only been able to take one class so far. Due to a surgery, I wasn't even able to complete it. I'm struggling a bit on the project, but now that I'm on medical leave from work, I'm going to finish it. If my daughter's head suddenly becomes lopsided, I'm sure she will one day appreciate the hat! :-)

Other than that, I have really only made some scarves. My ultimate goal is to be able to make socks for everyone in my family and a sweater for my fiance. I know that is a long way off, but I'm determined.

Since I'm pretty much homebound at the moment, I'm really happy to have found this site!

Hi'ya Neighbor! :waving:

I live in Kent, not far from you! When summer simmers down...maybe we can meet at the Open Knitters Night at Renaissance Yarn shop in downtown Kent, located on E. Meeker St.

Every Friday evening (except the 3rd Friday is devoted to Charity Knitting Group) all knitters are welcome to come down at 5 pm and sit 'n' knit with whomever shows up! Renaissance has a nice living room/sitting area for us!

Let me know! I'd love to meet a new knitting buddy!

davespurl
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Knittybug! I hope you don't go too crazy being homebound and all. Its turning out to be a great summer here (finally) and there is so much fun stuff to do! Thank goodness you've taken up knitting. I think its such a fun hobby and this forum is a good place to have questions answered and to find fellow knitting friends. I hope you enjoy it and I would love to hit that knitting shop in Kent as I haven't been there before!

Raeknitsnwa
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I am always around to talk I have yahoo messenger & msn lol..

auburnchick
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello Washington Knitters!

I am spearheading the West Coast Oddball Baby Blanket project (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81361) over in the Charity forum.

Please take a stroll over there and see if it's anything you would be interested in joining.

Don't worry if you're not into big commitments. This is the project for you!

The way it works is that each knitter knits 4" of a baby blanket, usually 90-100 stitches, using worsted or dk (depending on the blanket) weight, acrylic yarn. You can choose the pattern of your choice, keeping within the three stitch garter edging. Then, when you're done, you send the blanket to the next knitter, leaving the stitches on the needles. Everything travels together.

Each blanket takes about six knitters. You get two weeks to complete your portion. I've found it takes me only one evening...sometimes two.

If you'd like to join us, you can either send me a PM, or you can post a note in THIS (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81361) thread. I'll watch for it, send you a request for more information, and then we're set to go.

Come join a worthwhile endeavor. You'll be blessed beyond your wildest imagination.

I look forward to hearing from you!

:muah:

davespurl
07-28-2008, 08:55 PM
This sounds like fun and I'd like to participate. Can you tell me what the dimensions of the blanket are?

GramiH
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Hello Everyone:
I am in Washington state, Longview area. I am new at posting here. So I'm not sure that I am doing this right.
I have to date finished 3 (2 in Sassy Stripes w/free patt(1 pr. in Gentlemen Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush Book) pairs of socks for DH and 5 (Moc Croc Patt) other pair's for family members. I knitted a hat for a friend in the round with DPN's and 2 Christmas Stocking for G.D.'s last Christmas, also 2 needle slipper's from a patt found on the web for son and family. I just yesterday finished the last pr. of Moc Croc Sock's for my Aunt.
I have tried to make sweater's and dog sweater's, but had gotten frustrated. So needless to say I gave that up.
I love making socks, even though I am slow at knitting them. It takes me about 1 week 2 days to make one sock, if I knit every evening. I just love making things in the round as it is fascinating to watch something form.
I have crocheted for years and had made some shawls for friends and family. The last one was filet with dolphin's in the middle of the triangle for d-i-l.
I had learned to knit when a teen, but loved crocheting best until I learned to make socks, now I have 2 love's.
Well now that I have been long winded in this message, I will close with a howdy and glad to be here.
GramiH

ArtLady1981
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Welcome to KH, Grami!

I'm a Grammy, too! I live in the Kent, Washington area...about 2.5 hours north of your town. I have been to Longview many times however. We have friends who live in Kelso, Longview, and Toutle. I also have customers who live in Longview.

Anyways, I think you are a great knitter! We can't all do everything, and if you have mastered socks...more power to ya! I knit lots of sweaters and such, however, I have yet to knit even one sock. I find them intimidating! I don't know why. I really should get on the ball and give it a try! Socks were my 2008 GOAL. That, and entrelac. Tried entrelac last year, and my swatch turned out all catty-wampus!

Again, WELCOME! :hug: Keep in touch here, and in the forums. If you need any help in posting links or photos, let us know! We are all happy to help newbies!! :muah:

GramiH
07-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Hello ArtLady:
It's great being a Grammi, anyway that's normally how I spell it with 2 M's.
I hope that you enjoy our area when you visit. I don't get uptown much any more since everything was moved to the mall's.
Thank you for the hearty "great knitter" reference I liked that. I think that anyone that can knit sweater's are fabulous.....I have a s-i-l that knit's sweater's.....in fact she finished my last one that I gave up on half way through. I say cudo's to the lady as it was beautiful.
Ummmmm, well don't laugh as I am right this moment, but I am self taught in making socks and was half way thru my first pair when I discouvered that I make them inside out. It work's. There are a lot of good tutorials on the net and great books. Now if I can just figure out how to make them two at a time would be wonderful. Again thank you for the compliment.
The hardest part is keeping the yarn on the 1st needle until a person is ready to move the required amounts to the other 2 needles. That's where point protectors come in handy.
I've never tried entrlac......what is it and what does it do for a person?
Try socks much easier on a person.
I do have one question. How does a person get the lil smilies on a page?
Anyway thank you again for the very warm welcome.
GramiH

ArtLady1981
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Grarmi!

When you are typing a message...there is a smiley face icon up there inbetween the A and the paperclip. Just click the down-arrow by the smiley face, and different smileys will appear. Click the one you like and it will insert itself in the place your cursor was last blinking. You know, the blinking line that designates where your next letter will type into.

Then also, see the little smiley star over to the right of the GOOGLE G in a box? If you click the little smiley star, I think that will help you select your favorite 24 smileys...the ones you think you'd be most likely to use. After you've appointed favorite smilies, (up to 24 I think, but you don't have to pick that many)...I think they will appear to the right of your writing box. Mine are.
I have 24 sitting there. If you change your mind about a favorite smiley, you can edit your favorites by clicking the smiley star again. If you put your cursor over him, a pop out box will say EDIT FAVORITE SMILIES.

I also knit in the round inside out. I didn't realize it until I was hosting a knitalong here at KH. A simple garment called the Tempting II Summer Top. Anyhoo, I had taken some photos of how to add the 'in the round' sleeves to the 'in the round' bodice...and some of the knitters were going HUH? :??

It was brought to my attention that the rest of the world knits with the RIGHT SIDE on the outside of the tube (garment)...but I knit with the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. Then I just turn it inside out when I'm done! I still prefer my way. I like the needles to be furthest away from me, and I like viewing the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. I dunno why! :shrug: I thought of this story when you mentioned your socks! Hey, whatever works! :teehee:

Here is a link for that knitalong for the summertop. You might find the Tempting II or the Tempting I summertops to be very easy and fun to knit! I made both. Tempting II for me, and Tempting I for my daughter.

TEMPTING II SUMMER TOP (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76297)

Both tops are FREE PATTERNS at www.knitty.com (http://www.knitty.com)
I have included a link for the pattern in the thread.

(BTW: if you are perplexed with all of our shorthand talk (such as "BTW", or our knitter-talk, such as "thread"....don't be shy to ask me what a term, or abbreviation, means. There is a shorthand dictionary that Amy has provided too, here at KH. When I first joined KH, I was completely baffled by all the abbreviations and knitter-talk. So please ask about anything you are :?? about!)

On the GENERAL KNITTING front page, the abbreviations are a STICKY a the top of all the general threads in GENERAL KNITTING. It is called COMMON ABBREVIATIONS on this Forum!

GramiH
07-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Hello ArtLady:

>>When you are typing a message...there is a smiley face icon up there inbetween the A and the paperclip. Just click the down-arrow by the smiley face, and different smileys will appear. Click the one you like and it will insert itself in the place your cursor was last blinking. You know, the blinking line that designates where your next letter will type into.>>
:woohoo: Looky, I found them how cool is that. Thank you so much. I had to quote the msg before I could see them. Well uh dih on me.:roflhard:

>>Then also, see the little smiley star over to the right of the GOOGLE G in a box? If you click the little smiley star, I think that will help you select your favorite 24 smileys...the ones you think you'd be most likely to use. After you've appointed favorite smilies, (up to 24 I think, but you don't have to pick that many)...I think they will appear to the right of your writing box. Mine are.>>
Yes, I see him/her and I had picked my smilies when I was somhow editing my preferences. Just didn't know how and where to find them to use them. I love the kisses one being thrown.
>>I have 24 sitting there. If you change your mind about a favorite smiley, you can edit your favorites by clicking the smiley star again. If you put your cursor over him, a pop out box will say EDIT FAVORITE SMILIES.>>

Right now I count ten that I had chosen. Wow, it sure does have a pop out box.

>>I also knit in the round inside out. I didn't realize it until I was hosting a knitalong here at KH. A simple garment called the Tempting II Summer Top. Anyhoo, I had taken some photos of how to add the 'in the round' sleeves to the 'in the round' bodice...and some of the knitters were going HUH? :??>>

Well, I probably would have caught on.:thumbsup:

>>It was brought to my attention that the rest of the world knits with the RIGHT SIDE on the outside of the tube (garment)...but I knit with the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. Then I just turn it inside out when I'm done! I still prefer my way. I like the needles to be furthest away from me, and I like viewing the RIGHT SIDE on the inside. I dunno why! :shrug: I thought of this story when you mentioned your socks! Hey, whatever works! :teehee:>>

Yes, that is exactly what I do with the socks that I make, I turn them when I get to the toe, after putting the stitches on the lil plastic saftey pins. Then I have to transfer them back to graft the toe. Works for me. I too like to see the work as it progresses. When you work with the needles close to your face do you catch yourself getting them closer to your nose too?

>>Here is a link for that knitalong for the summertop. You might find the Tempting II or the Tempting I summertops to be very easy and fun to knit! I made both. Tempting II for me, and Tempting I for my daughter.>>

I will take a look and get the pattens. Maybe I will try and see what happen's.

>>(BTW: if you are perplexed with all of our shorthand talk (such as "BTW", or our knitter-talk, such as "thread"....don't be shy to ask me what a term, or abbreviation, means. There is a shorthand dictionary that Amy has provided too, here at KH. When I first joined KH, I was completely baffled by all the abbreviations and knitter-talk. So please ask about anything you are :?? about!)>>

Some of the short hand I have figured out, but some still throw's me a curve ball now and then. I will keep that in mind when I don't understand something. My son text me once to my email and it took me three days to figure our what he said.:roflhard:

>>On the GENERAL KNITTING front page, the abbreviations are a STICKY a the top of all the general threads in GENERAL KNITTING. It is called COMMON ABBREVIATIONS on this Forum!>>

I will take a look see and I will rmember where it is next time it is needed.

Again Thanks so very much for you help. Tis greatly appreciated.
GramiH

ArtLady1981
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your reply Grami! I'm happy I could help you! Stay in touch!

PS: I don't know how close my work gets to my nose, however, sometimes I have to take off my glasses to focus on something really really close! I'll have to think about that one!

auburnchick
08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
This sounds like fun and I'd like to participate. Can you tell me what the dimensions of the blanket are?

I sent you an email (couldn't PM you cause the site wouldn't let me).

:thumbsup:

artsynik
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi, I'm Nicki and I live on Whidbey Island. :)

1) What is your favorite yarn? I really love the bulky kinds
2) What is your favorite thing to knit? So far cable stitch hats
3) Who is your favorite designer? I don't have one yet
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Creative Knitting has some good online tips
5) Are you a Raveler yet? What is that?
If not, are you on the waiting list? Nope
If not, what are you waiting for? ??
6) How many years have you been knitting? Since June 08 (I'm a newb)
7) Do you crochet as well? No, but I'm going to teach myself
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? The coast....Whidbey Island
9) What are your prime knitting hours? During my lunch break from work and on the weekends or in the evenings when the TV is on.
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? knittinghelp.com :cool:

GirlChris
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
HI Gals,
I hadn't popped into the WA knitters spot in a while so I wanted to say HI to you all. Nice to see some new faces.

Grammi, that is so cool that you learned to amek socks on your own and have a cool way it works for you.

Artsynik, There is another big knitting website called www.ravelry.com (http://www.ravelry.com) and it is very popular. You have to put in for an invitation to join because it is a small run operation but has become so popular they let people join slowly so as to be able to handle the load. I finally put in for one and just got it so I haven't actually gone and joined yet. It looks big and intimidating to me but I am going to give it a try anyway at least to look at other people's knits. LOL

I just finished another pumpkin hat for my nephew due at the end of Sept but it will be too big for when he is born and I fear too small by the time he is 1, story of my life with knitting. I got another cute pattern I am planning to try to make for him called a Baby Yoda sweater. After I am done cleaning my house and having DS Bday party this weekend I will start on that.
Have a nice day, Chris

p.s. I am horrible at typing and sometimes do not catch all of my eight million typos per post I have to correct so forgive my constant typos :aww:

GramiH
08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Chris:
>>Grammi, that is so cool that you learned to amek socks on your own and have a cool way it works for you.>>

Thanks, it is appreciated that you liked that. I haven't hit the second sock syndrom yet.........want to learn with circular's now, when I finish this pair for my older sis.

>I just finished another pumpkin hat for my nephew due at the end of Sept but it will be too big for when he is born and I fear too small by the time he is 1, story of my life with knitting.>>

Way cool that you made the hat in advance. Let the lil one ware it anyway, so he can grow into it.:)

GramiH

Raeknitsnwa
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I would love to learn to make socks the only thing that confuses me is the flippin heel part

GirlChris
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I haven't learned socks yet either. It is something I would like to learn someday so it's on the before I die list anyway LOL.

I was planning to start on the Yoda sweater and then for some reason I went and started on a totally different sweater. Oh I know why, because I was too lazy to go buy the yarn for my yoda sweater and I had the other yarn and needle size. Problem with this one is I have not knit something with such tiny needles in forever, if ever even. Sz 2. It is so much work for what seems like so little progress. I knit for an hour straight last night and have pretty much spent all my free time today knitting and have all of 4 cm (71 stitches cast on for the sweater back). The back is supposed to be 26 cm. Now that is for the smallest sz they have listed, 3mos. So if it is just taking forever I guess I can shorten it somehow so it is newborn sz. I do think it will look cute. It is baby blue and is made of all M stitch (all k,p,k,p so it looks like a bunch of little bumps). I'll keep ya posted and if you are out and about in Wa and see someone crying over a baby blue sweater it's probably me.

GramiH
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Hello Rea:
>>I would love to learn to make socks the only thing that confuses me is the flippin heel part.>>
Well I have to confess, I wanted to learn how to make socks and ordered my sock yarn. Bought the needles and read all kind's of tutorials on the web. The one that I liked best is socks 101.
I too was very confused about the heel turn and went to a lys here and asked a question, but the person told me that I had to take a class there to find out what I wanted to know. Well anyway I showed the person my work and was told that it was going as expected and left it at that. I went home more confused :?? than ever.
The heel turn is easy when you realize that you follow the dir for the amt of sts (1/2) on one needle, then when you have reached the 2 1/2 in or such then you start the decreases to make the underside of the heel. It will usually say something like, Row 1: sl 1, k21, ssk, turn., Row 2: sl 1, p9, ptog, turn.,Row 3: sl 1, k9,ssk,turn., repeating rows 2 & 3 until you have 11 sts remainging. This is where you then pick up the side sts and join to the gusset. Once you understand the turning of the heel, it's a piece of cake and fun/challenging.
At present I am on my 9th pr for sister that wants tabi socks. DH wears his and even washes them after, won't let me touch them now. He is so proud of them. All the other family members loved the ones I made for them.
You can contact me if you ever want to get started and I will do my very best to help. I have seen pic's of so very many beautiful socks here and other web pages, well it makes a gal :drool:
Sorry for being so long winded:whoosh:
GramiH

tokmom
08-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Raeknitsnwa I graduated from Auburn HS

tokmom
08-18-2008, 01:27 AM
1) What is your favorite yarn?: I love the Noro's but want to try Malabrigo one day.

2) What is your favorite thing to knit? Anything. Probably socks. I love making them. I want to try sweaters and afghans with cables. I love cables.

3) Who is your favorite designer? Don't have one yet, but I know I will one day.;)

4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Don't know that yet either. I don't know which ones are geared for beginner/intermediate knitters.

5) Are you a Raveler yet? Yes.

6) How many years have you been knitting? It's only been months. So...about 9?

7) Do you crochet as well? I wish. You should see what it looks like.:roflhard:

I live in Western Washington, just a short hop from Puyallup. My sons go to school in Ellensburg (go wildcats!) and WSU/Pullman (Go cougs!):thumbsup:

9) What are your prime knitting hours? In the car, waiting for kids to get done with track practice. Otherwise it's a few minutes in the morning if I don't have to rush out the door.

I don't have one yet. If I get stuck I come here.:aww:

Raeknitsnwa
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Tokmom nice to meet you man I feel like I am slacking lol I have been knitting for a year and still can't make socks lol how did you learn share your secrets with me lol

GirlChris
08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I have been knitting years but haven't tried socks yet etither. You can do it, once you decide to learn it you could take a class or check out some on-line tutorials and Grami wants to teach us right? So I know we could do it if we put our mind to it. For right now I am happy that I have started back up knitting at all so I am fine tuning the skills I have before I get more. LOL

I am still working on my baby sweater. I made it to 10cm and that's it so far. I smashed my thumb and I never realized just how much I use all of my fingers knitting until one is hurting with every stitch ykwim? It is almsot better though so I hope to get back to it soon.

tokmom
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
My sil got me started on felted bags. She is from WI and was here for xmas. I watched those 3 dpn's and was fascinated. I just followed Silvers and taught myself. My first sock was 2 inches longer than the second one, lol, but I did it.
You can too! Silver's is sooo easy to follow!

GramiH
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
TokMom:
>>My sil got me started on felted bags. She is from WI and was here for xmas. I watched those 3 dpn's and was fascinated. I just followed Silvers and taught myself. My first sock was 2 inches longer than the second one, lol, but I did it.>>

Ohhhhhh, I'd love to learn felting too:X: . Yeah for you on the socks....what fun.:woohoo:

GramiH

p.s. I just finished the first sock that I put a Tabi toe in for my big sis. What a pain, but I did it. Now the 2nd is otn.

>>You can too! Silver's is sooo easy to follow!>>

GramiH
08-19-2008, 11:16 PM
GirlChris
>>I have been knitting years but haven't tried socks yet etither. You can do it, once you decide to learn it you could take a class or check out some on-line tutorials and Grami wants to teach us right?>>

Oh, come on try the socks....nothing like seeing things happen in the round. I learned from online tutorials and it was fun, plus challenging.
Yes, I will be glad to help all that I can when your ready to make socks.:notworthy:

>> So I know we could do it if we put our mind to it. For right now I am happy that I have started back up knitting at all so I am fine tuning the skills I have before I get more. LOL>>

Yes, you can do it.....but fine tuning never hurts. I did that with dog sweater's that Gabi won't wear, Christmas stocking's GD's loved, 2 needle slipper's, then a hat in the rd and finally DH socks that he love's.
For pete's sake he won't let me touch them now.:roflhard:

GramiH

Plantgoddess+
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I just saw this thread. Another Washintonian here.
1. My favorite yarn so far is a camel hair/lambswool blend made by Bernat about 30 years ago. ( I have some elderly stash.)
2. My favorite thing to knit is socks. I made 16 pair this year and am currently working on learning entrelac socks. It's not that bad, just very tedious.
3. Don't have a favorite designer. Most of my patterns dated back to when I acquired most of my stash, 30 years ago. I'm just this year surfing the net and adding tons of new patterns to my inventory.
4. I haven't read any knitting magazines in years, but I like a lot of the patterns I see on line from Interweave Press.
5. I am on Ravelry, I'm Plantgoddess there. I use it mainly for pattern ideas and yarn substitutions. It's an amazing site for reference.
6. I've been knitting over 30 years off and on. Since joining KH it has become a passion and I've knit more than I ever have. It used to be a strictly winter activity if I had nothing else to do, now most things have to fit in around my knitting.
7. I started out as a crocheter. I learned as a teenager and it was popular back then for hip clothing. I still have patterns from back them. I'm a lefty and crocheted left-handed which made it easy for me to teach myself to knit english and now rarely crochet except for doilies and tablecloths.
8. I live in eastern Wa. I'm about 20 miles north of Spokane in the foothills.
9. This time of year, I knit mainly in the evening after all my outdoor work is done. In the winter it could be anytime and sometimes is all day.
10. My favorite knitting book is The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee. It has helped me to get sweaters to fit better and I much prefer making my sweaters all in one piece. I dislike seaming and I love that when I bind off I am almost done except for working in ends and 2 little seams under the arms.
Isn't living in Wa. a great place to be? I grew up a Navy brat and this is my favorite place of all the places I've lived.

Raeknitsnwa
08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
We should all meet up on Yahoo & chat there some day or night it would be cool to get together & talk since some of us live so far apart if anyone else likes the idea let me know I am all for it

tulipberry999
09-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Hello ladies! Brand new knitter here!

1. My favorite yarn anything softy and cuddly.

2. My favorite thing to knit are blankets, at least that is what I want to try. I have 2 daughters I want to knit a blankie for!

3. No favorite here, since i'm such a newbie!

4. I don't read any, suggestions for newbies?

5. Nope :)

6. I tried to knit a few years back when I had my 1st daughter. Now I just had my 2nd and i'd like to try again. I find everything challenging since I lack hand coordination in a big way!

7. I'm not getting ahead of myself...........LOL

8. SW Washington, Portland Metro Area

9. When my girls to go bed :)

10. I saw a blanket book with Vanna White today that had some beautiful blankets!

ArtLady1981
09-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Hi Tulip! :waving: So glad to know you! Let any of us know if you need any help, any time! :thumbsup:

Debkcs
09-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we could have a Washington/Oregon get together? Someplace in Wasington, and I could pick up a few of the folks here, it's only a four hour drive.

It'd be a hoot. Dollyce,you'd have to model your work (I'd have to touch them.) :inlove:

ArtLady1981
09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, that would be awesome. Maybe a bookstore at Westfield/Southcenter area, right off I-5?

We'll hafta see who is interested!

Who is interested??? And where do you live???

jeanius80
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I think it would be fun! The mall in Federal way (Westminster?) would be good, esp. if anyone would need to bring a kid, the play area is big, with LOTS of seating...

eta-I am in Spanaway

ArtLady1981
10-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I like that! The mall in Federal Way used to be called SeaTac Mall right? On 320th?

jeanius80
10-01-2008, 11:19 PM
yeah (DH just told me it's now The Commons) Our dd loves the play area train :)

ArtLady1981
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, now I recognize that new name!

They tried to rename Southcenter, something like Westfield Mall.
Everyone still calls it Southcenter...so now the Westfield Mall sign says Westfield Mall at Southcenter!

Teehee!

downtwoearth
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi...I don't know what part of WA you live in, but I am looking for knitters in Kirkland, WA.

GirlChris
03-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi...I don't know what part of WA you live in, but I am looking for knitters in Kirkland, WA.

Well I am in Gig Harbor, so a bit away from you. I think one of the best tools to finding local knitters is the ravely groups. Check out ravelry.com and go to groups/washington and you'll see them from everywhere. I bet there is one in the area near you for you to connect with people close.

I am currently knitting up two more pumpkin hats for a nurse at my work who is expecting twins via surrogate this month. I haven't decided what to do after that. I think I may do a few more stuffed toys, I really enjoyed those.

knitfan
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone!
I just noticed this thread and was wondering if I could join in. I live in Puyallup, Wa.
I noticed several of you knit socks. I have tried, but do not like them. Too frustrating. I like knitting baby sweaters, dishcloths, scarves and felted bags. I also would like to knit big people cardigans, but I am too slow of a knitter. I have been knitting for years, but because of pain issues in my arms, I tend to be really slow at getting a project finished. I just finished up a baby sweater that I started nine months ago.
Anyway, it is nice to see a Washington thread on here.

TheMadKnitter
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I am a Washingtonian! Bellevue, to be exact.

GirlChris
05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey guys. Just popping in to say HI, I haven't checked this board on a regular basis but I'll try to pop in more frequently.

I noticed some info about a South Sound Yarn Crawl May 15-17. Cute idea for the LYSs to support each other and encourage visting them all, in one weekend in fact. LOL Not sure how much I will end up doing that weekend as I do have some other commitments but hopefully I'll at least get down to The Yarn Garden here in Gig Harbor.
I'll check back sooner, C
OTN: a plarn beach bag for ME(to imperfect to give away LOL)
and another doll. :knitting:

sarahandus
12-24-2009, 11:59 AM
1 Favorite yarn has been Caron Simply Soft and Berella 4, but I've discovered KnitPicks yarns and those will no doubt become my favorites, such scrumptious yarns!
2 Thing to knit, afghans (to give to Goodwill) and sweaters. Now trying to learn how to knit socks, but stuck on the heel turning, though persevering.
3 No designer.
4 At the moment Creative Knitting magazine, but subscribed to Interweave knits recently (used to subscribe to Handwoven when I was weaving, not doing that anymore though) and Knitters Magazine.
5 Yes, my Raverly name is the same as here, sarahandus.
6 I first learned to knit, sort of, about 14, but was primarily a crocheter until later years when arthritis made working with the fine threads I preferred for crochet too painful. So you might say I have only been knitting for 15 years.
7 Now that I'm working with yarn instead of fine thread, I can crochet afghans, so I mix in crocheting with the knitting time.
8 I live just south of Bonney Lake.
9 Knitting time, most of the time in the winter and in between weeding, garden planting and watering sessions in the summer.
10 How to book - The Principle of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt. But then I have to go to the forums, and other online places to get some more visual instructions on some things. Also I have run across questions that have sent me back to the book for an "ah ha" moment. Such and welts. Welts in knitting? But there it was big as life in the book, how to make them in several different flavors and when they are usually used.

It has been just in the last year or so that I have become more passionate about knitting and begun research on broadening my knitting knowledge and skills. Of course rainy and cold weather helps. And it's certainly been one or the other lately on this side of the mountains.

Raeknitsnwa
12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi Sara I hope you had a nice holiday. I love using Caron but have never used Barella 4 I will have to try that out. I really enjoy using Knit Picks yarn. I enjoy knitting socks feel free to email me if you have any questions I friended you on Ravelry. I would love to knit a sweater so far all I have knit that was close to one is a baby kimono.

sarahandus
12-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Like millions of knitters before me I have had that ah ha! moment when turning the heel makes sense. Now it will be just a matter of getting enough experience to make a sock thats wearable. I thank you so much for offer to help, I'll probably be needing it.

My sweaters are nothing to write home about, I wear them around the house, but not in public. That is why I'm here and subscribing to magazines, I want to become a better knitter instead of just someone who knits. Fortuantely the afghans are much better quality - usually.

Raeknitsnwa
12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
For the longest time my big freak out was the gusset lol. It never made sense until one day it was like oh ok well do this & this & wow that was all lol I felt like a dork afterwards.

Hey even if you just wear them around the house a sweater is a sweater.

sarahandus
01-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Berrela 4 isn't as soft as Caron Simply Soft, it has more body. I like for things like hats and afghans.

mamabearme
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I notice this thread has been quiet for a while, but thought I'd add myself!!

1) What is your favorite yarn? Cascade Baby Alpacca for now
2) What is your favorite thing to knit? Don't really have a favorite yet, learning how to do socks at the moment.
3) Who is your favorite designer? Don't have one of those yet either
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Vogue, so far...5) Are you a Raveler yet? Yep, mamabearme there too
6) How many years have you been knitting? About a month and a half so far
7) Do you crochet as well? Yes, off and on for about 20 years
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? I'm on the east side, Tri-City area
9) What are your prime knitting hours? Any time I'm not sleeping!! or eating.
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

tmarie2715
07-29-2010, 06:08 PM
If not, what are you waiting for? :teehee:

1)I recently tried knitting a Japanese yarn called Noro. They make a very pretty silk, mohair, lamb's wool mix with varigated colors. I used the worsted weight. I am kind of a newb, so I hope that was a decent description

2) I have been churning out a lot of hats on circular needles. They are quick and when I am stuck on my large project, I can knit / practice on various different patterns until I am no longer stuck. I have given a hat to just about everyone I know. :mrgreen:

3) I don't follow any one designer as of now. I really like the book I just bought, Easy Kids Knits, by Claire Montgomerie and another book which I don't know offhand. I think it is called Simple Gifts, or something like that.

4) I am also not a huge fan of the magazines. I have looked at a few, but I have yet to knit an adult size garment (aside from a hat). Kids stuff is a lot more accessible to me right now.

5) No. I am not sure what Ravelry is. I know a lot of you guys link to your Ravelry account, but esp if there is a waitlist I am probably not patient enough to join.

6) I first learned when I was 7 or 8, but have just recently picked it back up. I would say 2 years consecutively.

7) No! I was also taught to crochet when I learned to knit, and I never took to it. I am going to have to learn, I think, since there are a lot of pretty things to do finishing-wise with crochet.

8) Seattle

9) Whenever my toddler is asleep, or SO is home to play with him and give me some time to myself! I meet a few girls for knitting 2-3 times a month.

10) I rely on my knitting group, primarily, and KH forms and videos! I have borrowed a friend's book now and then. My book mentioned above also has a helpful section in the beginning about basic techniques and reading patterns, so I have referred to that while working my sweater vest.

Raeknitsnwa
08-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Tmarie2715 nice to meet you. I do believe you can just sign up and go on Ravelry now a days I don't think there is a wait list anymore(but don't quote me on that). If there is a list it is still worth being on to join Ravlery. There are tons of patterns & alot of great groups & people to talk to & get to know. If you do join let me know I am Raeknitsnwa on there too. Always nice to meet a knitter in the same state.

offgridgirl
09-05-2010, 12:55 PM
1) What is your favorite yarn? I like the icelandic wool
2) What is your favorite thing to knit?Purses
3) Who is your favorite designer? Vogue
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Vogueknitting
5) Are you a Raveler yet? Yes
6) How many years have you been knitting? 30 years
7) Do you crochet as well?A little when pushed
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? Yup
9) What are your prime knitting hours? Nighttime,movie or TV
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? Knitting without tears.

I'm in Washington for a few days and then off to Boston and back here at the end of the month....CHeers:cheering:

Arvonar
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone! I live in Everett. I've been knitting and crocheting for about a year, and have just started branching out from scarves to socks/sweaters/etc. I'm having a blast!

1) What is your favorite yarn? I like anything very soft, and usually end up grabbing a skein when I find one that I like. Doing so, I've developed this bad habit of never buying enough to make anything. Maybe some day I'll crochet a square afghan with it all!
2) What is your favorite thing to knit? Beanies
3) Who is your favorite designer? I don't have a favorite
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? knitsimple
5) Are you a Raveler yet? Yes
6) How many years have you been knitting? 1
7) Do you crochet as well? Yep!
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? PS Area
9) What are your prime knitting hours? All day between school quarters, then never when school is in session.
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? I learned to knit from and still refer back to the old Boye "I taught myself knitting" book, and otherwise find help online.

Great to meet you all! :happydance:
Robin

bananaleg
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I've only been at this for a month... but so far it's Loops & Threads Charisma. I've heard not the greatest things about knitting with acrylic, but i seem to be doing okay with it so far. (Besides, it's cheaper! :D)
I would loooove some handspun yarn, though. I'm obsessed with looking at it online, and people spin the prettiest yarn!
So far, i think hats.
Oh, i have no idea.
I've never really looked at any...
I am. Of course, i haven't post anything, but i've used a pattern or two.
Only a month :)
No. I decided to make snowflakes for a friend, though, so i've just started learning how to make a chain, or whatever...
Tacoma!
I'm unemployed, so any hours, really. I do try to get other stuff done during the day and save my knitting for the evening when i can help it.
Youtube :)

As i said, i am very interested in getting my hands on some handspun yarn. If you know where i can get it cheap (like i said, unemployed), please do tell.

Mokumegane
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I used to live in WA and might end up moving back. I DO know that I'll be visiting there this summer, for my brother's college graduation ceremony.

MJof2G
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new here, I just joined today. I live in Puyallup. I can't answer any of your questions in the forum yet cause I have NO clue what i'm doing LOL

scteacher
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey everyone. I'm new here, I just joined today. I live in Puyallup. I can't answer any of your questions in the forum yet cause I have NO clue what i'm doing LOL

:thumbsup: I also just joined today, I am literally beginning to dip my toes in, my first project is a pair of socks. I'm about one inch in and hope it turns out good. I have been crocheting for about 10 yrs and have always wanted to try my hand at knitting but was fearful of the degree of difficulty. Now I am fully embracing the challenge and can't wait to see what I can do. I have found that you don't have to spend a TON of money on books, patterns etc, if you have a GoodWill, thrift store etc: you can usually find some decent patterns for beginners there. So far I am enjoying what I am learning.:woohoo:

offgridgirl
03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

What a beautiful baby! Hope to see lots of handknitted hats and sweaters on her!:cheering:

knitfan
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi there! I live in Puyallup too. I do alot of knitting for my two grandtoddlers.
Your baby is so cute!

newbieknit
09-22-2011, 11:58 PM
I've been on this site for quite some time, but never checked out this section... ooops!

I'm near Olympia, WA :)

Moonie
12-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Vancouver, Washington here! I'm just starting out with knitting and only just finished my first project...a hat with kitty ears! <3

wynterphoenyx
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm an absolute and total newbie... I began the extremely daunting task of learning from a book just last night. I can cast on and run row after row of basic knit stitches so far :) I don't have a clue what I'll try to learn next or what to do with it when I learn it, but I'm hoping skill and inspiration will come. If nothing else, I'll end up making kitten blankets for some local animal shelter :heart:

I live in Bothell, just north of Seattle. I welcome any pointers, ideas, and even criticisms along the way (be gentle!)

PlumCrazy
11-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi There.
Just another newbie with needles in Puyallup.
Saw this thread and decided I'd add my name to the list of WA state.
Just picked up a set of knitting needles last week and been teaching myself stitches from You-tube videos and from clearing the shelves at my local libraries.
So far I have purchased 4 skeins of yarn and a few pairs of needles, but yet have anything to show for it.
However, I am getting Really good at the Frog stitch. :rofl:
Also I am teaching myself some crochet stitches. :happydance:
Looks like I'll like the feel of using the Continental method vs the English method, but I will see which one becomes more comfortable to do.
Until then...Rip it, rip it.
Debbie

Jan in CA
11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi Debbie and all, welcome to knitting help! I don't live in Washington, but wanted to remind you we have videos here and lots of helpful people!

TheKayla
01-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi! :muah:

I am brand new to knitting... as in: I can only cast on--and that was after watching the KnittingHelp.com long tail cast on video about a million times. Now? I'm stuck. Blah.

We moved to Spokane at the end of Oct, thanks to the Air Force :)

Anyways: I think I need to actually SEE in person how to move past a cast on, if anyone is in my area and is OK with meeting in a public place (I promise I'm not a serial killer!) to show me.. I would be forever grateful.. :mrgreen:

lilbj
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone in WA! I live in Lake Stevens.
I don't have a favorite yarn, just use whatever works with whatever I am going to knit. Have been knitting lots of baby blankets. I just learned how to do double knitting, but am stuck on one particular pattern......double heart knit hotpad. Would u believe......I knitted one, but the second one just won't come out right!
Salmonmac has been helping me, but I'm still kind of lost! Anyway, I'll just keep trying!
I am on ravelry as lilbj. Love to see the patterns there.
I do crochet, learned that first. I've crocheted lots of tablecloths. Even crochet a portrait of Elvis!

offgridgirl
02-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey there,

I don't live in Washington...but do visit regularly. I was there in January and will be back soon!! I am usually in Redmond.

There is a place here in Vancouver that has the oldest carding machine. It has beautiful wool. I have a picture someplace.
Here is the link....:cheering:

http://stores.birkelandwool.com/StoreFront.bok

tangrene
02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi folks, I too am a Washington State knitter, although the first 27 years of my life I lived and crocheted in Texas. I live pretty darn close to LilBJ...in fact I picked 80+ pounds of berries top of Sunnyside hill. Ya know where that is...Dang new Walmart is gonna ruin my berry adventures.

have to say it is classic Merino Patons cause the JoAnns used to be 5 mins from my house and that was best they had. But now that I can see well...I am going to Great Yarns in Everett! Yippee...I bought Dreamz interchangeable...all 3 sets this month along with several 40-47in 0,1,2,3 needles cause I am tired of not being able to find good wool socks to fit my adult son's. (the men in my family have unusually large ankles and calves) They can't find any hiking socks that are comfortable above their ankles.

Hats, but I am gonna make socks my favorite as soon as I find the right pattern for my sons.

Hatternique patterns...(can't find him any more but he made some great hats that my son likes with merchandized cotton...but I don't particularly like knitting with it...rather crochet this yarn.

Don't have any knitting magazines.

Yes...Just joined. msneuropil

20+ years...but only rarely till the last 5 or 6 years

ABSOLUTELY...I started crocheting around 9 years old...but never had the money to put into more than 1 hook and some cheap yarn. Started in earnest in 1982 when I was on crutches AND 6 months pregnant. Crocheted the LARGEST out of shape bedspread while sitting for the next 3 months. It was ugly and was dragged around for over 10 years. I hated it, but my son loved it. I had no pattern, 1 hook and about 10 skeins of cheap yarn. (My hubby at the time thought it was irresponsible of me to spend money on crochet hooks...so I did what I could with what I had). I might add here that HE had tools galore, radio controlled cars and planes...and he thought it was wasteful to spend money on a tool for me. He's my ex now...and I can now buy the tools I want.

I live on the edge of the Snohomish River as it enters Puget Sound, which is West of the Cascade Mountains. I see Mt. Pilchuck directly east of me.

Noonish...then a break to quilt or cook...then around 4 I go to bed and knit on and off till sleepy. I have CFIDS and Fibromyalgia so it all depends on how long I can see clearly and how long I can stand to be in a sitting position. I'm getting pretty good at knitting a lot of stockinette laying down.

Knitting Answers AND Knitting Companion. It was not till I got those books that I finally figured out what I did to make those mistakes and what to do to fix the mistakes. Wonderful books for folks who don't know knitters in real life or how to even describe your mistakes.

XtopherCB
06-14-2014, 10:08 PM
hi all...

i'm (kris) 'topher and i'm new to it all, still. and needy. and opinionated (i like what i like, what can i say?)

cheap and clean. so far, i prefer cottons and blends. full-on wool is not a good choice for me - too warm, and itchy. tho when i get to my first pair of socks that doesn't get frogged after an hour, i may have to revisit that and settle for a recycled/polyester/bamboo/fair-trade/shade-grown/gluten-free/baby-bjorn/5%-wool something or other.

dishcloths (to pair up with also-new-to-it soapmaking) and cowls. my first project was supposed to be socks, in order to skip all that dishcloth and scarf learning nonsense. that didn't happen.

anybody with clear/full directions and the ability to say 'seriously this is hard, don't even attempt if you're a newbie, go practice another scarf.' anybody who designs for men. actual things actual men would actually wear/use. knitted kilts and tea cozies don't count.

no favorites, just skim whatever's new and interesting in the checkout line at joann's. learn more what to avoid than what to do.

yes, same screen name there. but it doesn't do much for me. very $$$- and designer-based and overwhelmingly feminine designs. still, it's a resource, sometimes.

about 2 years off and on at this point.

ha, no, i'll stick with one of the dark arts at a time. also, until you get to the advanced skills, most of the patterns look "ages 5-10 loom knitting."

grew up an army brat, lived many places, but was lucky to stick mostly to western washington, where both parents and extended families are also from. puyallup, spanaway, all over seattle and kent. longest stretches have been various times on fort lewis, a 15ish year stretch in the olympia/lacey area, and current home in yakima since 2004.

usually night time, during netflix binge-watching, about 2-3x a week.

actually one i just got from the local library last week - "circular knitting workshop: essential techniques to master knitting in the round" by margaret radcliffe. has info on all knitting levels, converting flat patterns to circular, patterns for bags, hats, shawls, socks, mittens, gloves and sweaters, and at 320 pages, most with full color pictures or illustrations, is incredibly helpful. might just have to buy it outright. honorable mention, solely because of the 'bootcut sweater', my own personal unicorn, is 'knitting with balls" by michael del vecchio.