PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever lose your knitting mojo?

SBG
05-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm working on a lace stole for a friend of mine that is labeled "easy+" and on the accidental baby hat from knitting pattern central. Everything I've done this week has been wasted time. I've taken the stole apart 4 times! I keep screwing things up. The hat just starts off k2 p2 on dpns and I can't even get that right even though I've made lots of sock. Where is my mojo? Anyone else go through this sometimes, where you can't get anything right? What do you do about it?

GinnyG
05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Terrible as it sounds, you might need to take a "knitting break" for a copule days. Put it aside and do something "different" then when you pick it back up you will have "fresh eyes".

heatherg23
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. That happens to me A LOT. When I keep messing up a knitting project up I put it aside for a few days and knit something else. I can't stand the frustration. Then after a few days I try again. I usually get it right the second time around. 2 days ago i tried using the cable needle and I couldn't keep the stitches on any of the needles so I put it aside and today I got it right finally.

I'm sure you'll do fine.....Heather
:X:

evona
05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Step away from the needles!!! :rofl:

That happens to me sometimes too and I just figure I just need to take a little break, do something else for the day - like read or something and when I step back to the project I usually do better. For instance, I just screwed up a simple moss stitch block that was supposed to be 12" x 12" . I did a swatch and I thought I measured everything correctly. I measured every so often cus it seemed so big to me, but I have no idea what I was looking at because it is obviously NOT 12" instead it was 14" :roflhard: I could have kicked myself - dumb dumb dumb. Well, today I am reading - end of story (well maybe I'll get a few rows of some other project in). Tomorrow I swatch again :)

SBG
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a break is in order. Anything is better than redoing the same 5 rows over and over and over! Maybe I'll do a dishcloth tomorrow then pick up this other stuff again!

Knitting_Guy
05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought I had lost my knitting mojo but it had just rolled under the couch.

Seriously, sounds like time for a short break or a tall drink. :mrgreen:

McKnitty
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh yes, this has happened to me many times. It could be that I'm tired or not feeling well, or distracted by something else going on, or thinking about a problem at work.

So, I'll take a break and try it again later when I'm feeling up to it. It usually doesn't last more than a few days.

Mulderknitter
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree with everyone. sometimes all it takes for me is a quick 2 or 3 hour project like a washcloth to get my mojo running again. The frustration of frogging is eased with a fo:hair:

YouCantBuyThisMovement
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Yea it sounds bad but all through my pregnancy I just did not want to knit. Which is strange I friggin love to knit, but instead of just trying to do it and not enjoy what I was doing I just put it down and now that I am back on the needles I am having so much fun.

Hang in there. The Mojo will come back. :hug:

Jens
05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Does it have something to do with this spring? The winter was so very very long that I think spring fever is going around BAD!! For me anyway....

InterNette
05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I rarely not knit but I do lose mojo on certain projects. I was going to do the gorgonian shawl and well just couldnt get into the 396 cast on stitches, so I just look around for another project that attracts me and when all else fails I either do a dishcloth to add to my basket of gifts or do a mitered square for my mason dixon blanket. I sorta cant go a night without knitting. If the tv is on I cant watch it without my needles other wise I am wasting time.

SBG
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I got my Options interchangeable needles yesterday afternoon so I didn't take a break. I love them! I went to my old stand-by, a waffle weave dishcloth. I've made so many I hardly ever mess them up. I tried to start my stupid lace stole again (with different yarn-I was ambivalent about the yarn choice and thought maybe my subconscious was telling me to use something else), but yep, screwed it up in the first row so I set it aside again.

Now I want to order more stuff from Knit Picks. I want their double pointed needles. I spent all my money on the circular ones though :)

gingerbread
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
oh where does that mojo go :tap: I always get it when I have knitted for a long time. The eyes get tired and whoops something always goes wrong. So like everyone said put it aside and pick it up in a few days.

:waving:

Luvmyrottnboy
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh! Ugh! I KNOW!!!!

I just "came out" of one of those knitting funks. I mean, c'mon! I was screwing up some really, really simple stuf.

As a true knitting addict, it killed me but I didn't knit for two whole days. Instead I sorted through my stash, organizing it. Then I ordered a couple of Wendy Bernard patterns ('cause they are easy and top down)and sort of "day dreamed" over them.

Now I am well on my way through "Marilyn's not-so-shrunken cardi" and no issues, no mistakes and loving life again:woot:

Yeah, take a break otherwise it becomes stressful instead of pleasureable.

CognizantAmiga
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
You are SOOOOOO not alone!:aww:

jdee
05-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe it's the lace. I always screw up with lace. Those of you who do lace projects with success have my undying respect.

SBG
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Maybe so! This is the first project with a lace pattern that I'm attempting. This is it:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70337AD.html?noImages=

mathwizard
05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Since I knit and crochet, my knitting mojo is great but my crochet mojo is gone. I have this crochet vest that is driving me crazy!! I like the pattern but I have started it for the third time and I still don't like the way it looks or is coming out. The alpaca yarn isn't the problem but the whole idea of post stitches. If I could find a knitted pattern of the same thing I would chuck the crochet one and be happily knitting along.:woohoo:Knitting at the moment rocks for me and crochet stinks.

SBG
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I've played with crocheting a little but so far I stink at it. I'll try again someday!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-17-2008, 09:15 AM
One time, I didn't knit for about 5 months... just didn't want to- I was in a knitting funk. I didn't want to work on anything that I had already started and wasn't interested in starting a new project either.

I finally bought a bunch of new yarn... and sure enough.. I was casting on to see how the new yarn knitted up.

So, it's ok... to take a break... don't feel guilty... or go buy new yarn! ;)