PDA

View Full Version : Starting My First Sweater

Knitting_Guy
05-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I've started the sweater with the KP Wool of the Andes yarn. I'm trying it top down and am currently just working on the neck band.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome. If nothing else it should prove interesting.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
:woohoo:
Good luck Mason!

In my experience, WOTA is itchy unless I wear something underneath, so you might want to take that into consideration when you're trying it on for fit (unless you're not an itchy guy, in which case, ignore me).

Knitting_Guy
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
:woohoo:
Good luck Mason!

In my experience, WOTA is itchy unless I wear something underneath, so you might want to take that into consideration when you're trying it on for fit (unless you're not an itchy guy, in which case, ignore me).

Wow, ok, thanks. I was feeling it and thought "Cool, this won't be itchy". Guess ya can't always tell that way. I'm making it with extra ease so as to fit over a shirt as I never wear a sweater unless it's over a shirt.

Crycket
05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
I am doing a pair of knee socks in WOTA right now...but I haven't worn them yet...*oh*

Anyway...no advice...just rooting you on!

Jan in CA
05-16-2008, 01:12 AM
:cheering:

Over a shirt is better anyway so you can take it off.

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
:cheering:

Over a shirt is better anyway so you can take it off.

Yup

mathwizard
05-16-2008, 07:14 AM
I go with a nice silky feeling shirt underneath. I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck!:cheering:

mimi
05-16-2008, 07:20 AM
What pattern are you using?

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
What pattern are you using?

I'm not. I don't really like following someone else's pattern. I prefer making something all my own. It's just a simple raglan sweater and I am using percentages although I am already finding that my build is outside of the normal percentages.

My neck is thick and my shoulders are more broad and thick than average, so I am making adjustments to the percentages as I go. Going top down will help with that as it's easier to try it on as I go.

I discovered last night that I seem to have left one pair of size 10 Options in my truck (at least I hope that's where they are). I'll be needing them as I will be using the two circs method for the increases until it gets large enough to fit on one circ. I'll be making a trip out to the truck today to retrieve them as the work is on hold until I do.

paiva
05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
WISHING YOU THE BEST OF LUCK! I feel the same way sometimes about following somesone's pattern. The top down raglan I showed you last time (http://www.bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/vanille.html) Is the best I've done yet. I've made a zillion of them for various people and she has a pretty good sizing chart if you need some kind of guide. I modified it a few times over to make a turtleneck here and there....BEST WISHES on yours...I've never tried the WOTA, but I have used Noro and I find wool to be quite uncomfortable. I like the Lambs Pride b/c it's mixed with other fibers like mohair and is a little more gentle.....
PS......so how can I get my husband to knit!? HAHAHA

hartleystudio
05-16-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't have any suggestions, I gave up sweaters a long time ago! I did want to say that I love the new picture though!! When we travel I always look at the truckers and wonder if it's our Knitting Guy!!! I'm sure they all think I'm crazy!!

God luck with the sweater! I've been praying for your Mom, I hope she is doing well.

cindycactus
05-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks Paiva for the link to the sweater pattern. I am going to have to try that one. It looks so comfortable.:thumbsup:

Ellieblue
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I just finished a WOTA cardigan for myself . I used size 8 needles and found that the finished sweater is too loose. I think size 6 or 7 would have given a firmer knit. I find this worsted is more like a DK weight, I would suggest you knit a V-neck, that way you won't have the itchy yarn around your neck.

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I just finished a WOTA cardigan for myself . I used size 8 needles and found that the finished sweater is too loose. I think size 6 or 7 would have given a firmer knit. I find this worsted is more like a DK weight, I would suggest you knit a V-neck, that way you won't have the itchy yarn around your neck.

Thanks. So far the size 8 for the neck band and size 10 for the body seems to be knitting up well, but then I do knit fairly tight anyway.

I thought about going V-neck but decided against it as I like the look of a rounded neck for a sweater. My skin isn't all that sensitive anyway.

Any other suggestions are quite welcome.

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Ah well, at least the mistake happened early on. I somehow buggered one of the increases below the neck band and created a hole in the fabric. I double checked that it wasn't a dropped stitch, just a bad increase. No idea how I did it, but I did.

Starting over. At least I had the chance to try on the neck to see how it fit before I frogged it. Despite the fact that it looks really small it fit perfectly so I feel better about that and the frogging of this small amount of work was worth it for that if nothing else.

gingerbread
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the rounded neck is a good one for you Mason. I also like the pattern that Paiva gave I think that would look good on anyone.
Oh way to go Mason on making your first sweater,and not even using a pattern. Way to go Mason. Enjoy making it and wearing it. Must show pictures in progress to show us people that don't want to make them. We are to scared to try I guess. Really it is me who is to afraid to make the sweater.
Again good luck on making it.:woohoo:

:waving:

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I also like the pattern that Paiva gave I think that would look good on anyone.

:waving:

I agree, it does look good and I appreciate her posting it. I do read a lot of various patterns to get ideas and to learn. I prefer not following a specific pattern so if I screw it up I can say "I meant for it to look like that". :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Debkcs
05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I meant for it to look like that".

I say that a lot too, lol.

WOTA works just fine for my DH, but not for me.

I too like your new look, Mason. Much cooler for the summer.

Happy sweater knitting!

Miss Kittie
05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I prefer not following a specific pattern so if I screw it up I can say "I meant for it to look like that". :mrgreen:
:roflhard: Good one!!
I got a book on knitting sweaters from the top down.. Never tried it yet. DGD found a sweater that she wants out of it so she bought me the book..;) But since we live in Texas I can wait on it for a little bit..
Good luck with your sweater. Hope you don't have to visit the frog pond to much. rip-it,rip-it.:frog:

Pat in Ca
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM
You are a brave man,, I would be too wussy to wing it with no pattern..Can't wait to hear and see your progress!
Be sure to keep track of what you are doing in a notebook or something.. for that book you are gonna put together..

GirlChris
05-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I am so impressed with you knitting without a pattern that is waaaaay beyond me thus far. :cheering:

I haven't made a sweater in quite some time. One of the first things I made was a sweater for my then BF now DH. Well the neck was kinda high and he is a scruffy guy so his 5 oclock shadow immediately wore away at the neck. I tried to tear it out and make up my own neck but it was a disaster so that year of work (literally, I was very new to it) I think is in the garage somewhere. Later I knit a sweater vest for my Mom, Ithink it took me another year because it was my first try at pattern and by the time I gav eit to her she had gained weight and it didn't fit. She has never worn it. My sweater luck is keeping me at small projects. LOL

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I am so impressed with you knitting without a pattern that is waaaaay beyond me thus far. :cheering:

I would say it really isn't that hard, but I'll wait until I see how it turns out. :rofl:

You should jump in and do another one.

paiva
05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
WOW EVERYONE !!!!
I am so glad that my post for the Vanille was so helpful!!!
I found it by accident after my husband had to sadly trash his favorite sweater of 12 years. I promised that if he got rid of it, I'd make him one to take it's place...HENCE The Vanille.
All of the designs on Blue Alvarez are done in the round and top down! I've made mostly everything she has posted and am now working on "the Atlantis cardigan"
Glad I could be of help to you all and again...BEST WISHES AND HAPPY KNITTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot: