PDA

View Full Version : DPNs

Viridian
05-18-2008, 02:47 AM
This is a very simple question. I am currently working on a hat that will have me decrease on DPNs. It calls for five DPNs, but I only have four.

Can I still decrease on the four DPNs or do I need the five? Thanks!

lactosefree
05-18-2008, 02:58 AM
you can just distribute your stitches onto 3 needles and use the 4th to knit with - you'll just have more stitches on each needle than if you used 4 needles and knit with the 5th.

missmom31
05-18-2008, 07:17 AM
I rarely use the dpns. My method of choice is to use two circular needles instead of the dpns. I find it so much easier to manage the two circular needles instead of four or five dpns. Plus I have never gotten the dreaded ladders when using the circulars. There are several tutorials around for this method. I hope this helps. Patty

Knitting_Guy
05-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Sure you can do it with four, or use a circ and magic loop, or a pair of circs.

aprildavis99
05-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Most of the time you can use only 4 DPNs instead of 5. But some patterns are written where the decreases or increases or the pattern in general is set specifically around there being 5 DPNs. You can usually tell this if the pattern names the needles like "needle 1" or "needle 2". If that is the case then a good trick I read about -- I don't remember where -- I think it was EZ's Knitting Without Tears -- replace the 5th needle with one from another set no more than 1 or 2 size difference. Since the needles get rotated on the project it will not affect the gauge too drastically.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

suzeeq
05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
You can also put a marker where the ends of the needle would be if you were using 5 needles, if the pattern is one that calls for decs/incs on a specific needle. Most patterns say to do so after X sts.

Viridian
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I just reread my pattern and whoohoo! It says nothing about certain numbered needles. It just says a set of five, but it's nothing but k2tog throughout the decreases. So I should just be able to split the stitches amongst the four DPNs; I guess the author naturally uses five.

Thanks so much!