PDA

View Full Version : moving on home (and hopefully up)

stagebear
05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
After being in Philadelphia for 3 years, I've decided to move back home. One of my grandfathers passed away just before Christmas and I realized how little I get to see my family - this year was the first time I was able to go home for the holidays in 3 yrs. It was hard for me to think that the timing of his death worked out for me since I was already going home and didn't have to think about work, and I don't know how I would handle other family emergencies in the future. So it's all been on my mind since the holidays, I just couldn't make a decision until the theatre season was over. Even then it wasn't an easy one.
I'm now moving back to North Dakota to be closer to family. That part is great, but leaving everyone I've grown to know and love here is hard. Even harder is that I'm leaving the only career I've ever known. I've worked in theater for over 10 years and never had any "real life" job - I can only hope for a smooth transition. Although I have a few interviews when I get back, it's really scary to think about changing careers and not knowing if I'll be good enough at whatever new job I have.
I made my decision about 2 weeks ago and I leave in just under 2 weeks. All I can think is "Crazy!"

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 07:44 AM
No theater in ND?

Good luck.

stagebear
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
not much - and nothing union.

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, if you can work on scaring up some charitable backers, along with some federal grant money, maybe you can start up a theater group.

stagebear
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
i guess i should clarify. i'll be able to do some theatre as there are a few small companies in town. i just won't be able to keep it as my career. i'm in a union and want to keep my status in case i decide to go back at some point, so i won't be able to do stage management in anything other than a union house.

Inis
05-21-2008, 06:18 PM
I can relate. We moved away for a few years and so missed our family. It didn't take long for us to move back. It really is the most important thing to us.

Can you teach theater? Either as a freelancer or in a school? Then you'd be able to run your very OWN theater. :)

Good luck.