PDA

View Full Version : Walmart and the Sewing Section

Crycket
05-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey there...

I just wanted to let you know about the horrible thing my local Walmart did....

They removed the sewing section.

The Yarn section still stands...for now...but I can't make a quick stop for zippers, buttons, etc....

:nails:

Just thought I would share....I hate Walmart....

VictoiseC
05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
That's ridiculous! It's one of the few reasons to even go in there!
Stupid stupid stupid! You should write someone if you care enough, don't know if it'd help (probably not) but maybe if there were enough complaints? I just bought a bunch of patterns at such a great price at my Walmart.

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Wal Mart has been gradually doing away with their crafts section for over a year now.

McKnitty
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I have three Wal-mart stores close to me. One has completely done away with the crafts section. The other two still have the crafts section but I've noticed the selection seems to be going down. There aren't as many yarns and it looks like some things are not being restocked.

Wal-mart is the only place I can get Peaches & Cream in my area, and the selection has gone down considerably. This is so sad.

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
There is an online petition regarding this topic. I signed it.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/walmartcraftfabric/index.html

paiva
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
that is SO wierd because our local wal-fart (ooops...I meant walmart) just ADDED a brand new craft section to my surprise!
I wonder why we got one and you all had it taken away?? hmmmm

CognizantAmiga
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
They began "updating" our local Walmarts about a year ago and in so doing took away a THRIVING craft section. For a while I could still get the zippers, buttons and threads I needed. Now all I can get is cheap yarn and a very small selection of knitting needles.

Really stinks!

hartleystudio
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Our Wal-mart did the same thing and then Hancock went into bankruptcy and doesn't carry as much stuff. Jo-ann's closed so we have almost nowhere to buy stuff like that.

I wish Target would start a crafts section, wouldn't that be totally awesome!!! Can you imagine the cool stuff they would carry???!!!

SteveDallas
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't get to Wal-Mart often, but when I did a couple months ago I checked out their yarn. It was pathetic.. they had shelf space for maybe 3 dozen kinds of yarn, and half of those were empty! I was surprised they didn't just get rid of it completely, which I'm sure is the next step. (I'm assuming it used to be bigger.)

cacunn
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
This decision may well be driven on strictly a profit per square foot basis. They forget how many crafters/sewers/knitters come to the store for the craft section and then leave with a basket full of other items. If it were not for the craft section they would not have come to the store.

As an accountant I am ashamed of the number crunchers that do not understand what is behind their numbers.

xxkarenlxx
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
It is my understanding (as of about18 months ago) that Walmart made the corporate decision to remove the fabric/notions department from all stores. This will happen gradually over the next three to four years.

The last I heard, the craft department would remain at stores that already had one, but would vary in content depending on what was most popular.

gotta knit
05-20-2008, 09:15 AM
I've bought mainly baby yarn at Walmart over the years for gift blankets, and recently noticed our yarn section looking pitiful. Guess I know why now.

Crycket
05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah....it is not right...I mean...I am not sure how good or bad our was doing....but I almost always saw women in there buying fabric. I almost always had to line up when I needed some cut....I don't get it...really!

The problem is...there really isn't a good crafting chain around me. LYS are far an few between.....and Michaels is evil....Walmart is evil.....I miss Lewiscraft (a Canadian craft chain) Fabriclands are far and few between as well...and even still...they don't have yarn.

The really strange thing is....it seems that knitting is a reimerging trend...why are the stores shrinking away...?

gotta knit
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
The problem is...there really isn't a good crafting chain around me. LYS are far an few between.....and Michaels is evil....Walmart is evil.....I miss Lewiscraft (a Canadian craft chain) Fabriclands are far and few between as well...and even still...they don't have yarn.

The really strange thing is....it seems that knitting is a reimerging trend...why are the stores shrinking away...?

Do you have a Len's Mill Store around you? It's nothing fancy, but there's a pretty decent selection of crafts, yarn & fabric.

heatherg23
05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I have a super walmart minutes from me. They have a large sewing,yarn,scrapbooking etc sections.

I wonder if it's just in the regular walmarts instead of the super walmarts.

Is this happening in the regular walmarts or the super walmarts?
Heather

CognizantAmiga
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Nope-- Ours is a "Super" Walmart. And it is GONE!

And Cryket--I totally get your pain! The nearest LYS is over 2 hours away. Hobby Lobby is about an hour away. Michael's is 2 hours. We have NOTHING around us now. If I am going to sew, I have to know in advance, or spend hours getting ready, driving, herding children, and then driving back -- to get a yard or two of fabric.

Cynamar
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
The one by my house still has some craft stuff and a little fabric, but the super one by my mom did away with all of the fabric and made the electronics department HUGE. They have some knitting things but not a lot. Most of them around here are doing away with fabric at least.

Rosemary
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
The super Wal-mart near me closed the sewing section but left the crafts section. I understand there is one Wal-Mart all the way on the other side of town that still has a sewing section.

Go figure.

annomalley
05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
The way I understood it, Wal-Mart was removing their sewing sections because it required that someone be available to staff it. Makes sense, since you have to have someone cut fabric for you, as opposed to just going up to the shelf and picking out your yarn yourself.

I don't really go into my local Wally's craft/sewing section because every other place has a bigger variety and selection of stuff. I guess I wouldn't miss it if my local Wally's craft/sewing section disappeared, but I can understand how frustrating it must be for people who live a good distance from LYS's/craft stores.

cheekyprincess
05-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I heard the same, that it was a corp. idea. In an attempt to reduce man hours. They do not want to pay someone to be there to cut fabric. They say they are not making money on the fabric. The last time I was in one near me there was a girl from the one hour photo that cut my fabric.

Crycket
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Do you have a Len's Mill Store around you? It's nothing fancy, but there's a pretty decent selection of crafts, yarn & fabric.
I don't know...I have actually never heard of them...but I will look em up!

I heard the same, that it was a corp. idea. In an attempt to reduce man hours. They do not want to pay someone to be there to cut fabric. They say they are not making money on the fabric. The last time I was in one near me there was a girl from the one hour photo that cut my fabric.

That is so flipping silly....Here is my stupid story....

I walked into a Walmart on a Saturday afternoon....looking for a replacement fishtank (my little 5 gallon tank had sprung a slow leak and I needed to replace it quickly, and inexpensivly...they are only goldfish) The only aquarium that was not an open box on the top shelf, so we went to get someone to help....we hunted down many a person, but it was the guy from the pet department who was the only one that could help us (or so we were told)....after waiting for him for way to long....we got a stepstool from houseware, and got it down ourselves.....

Gosh darn it...I say that to make the point....if you had your staff cross department trained...it might not hurt so much!

Anyone got a little cash...lets get together and open up the best yarn/notions store ever!....*jk - but not really*

LovelyLinda
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Crycket,

There are Lens Mill Stores in Hamilton, London, Cambridge, Guelph, Port Dover, Brantford, Waterloo to name a few. Unfortunately, none of them are close to us in the GTA. Their website is lensmill.com

Linda

Crycket
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I am moving up to Kitchener...which would put me close to the Waterloo store.... I will give it a look...*smiles*

Inis
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
This decision may well be driven on strictly a profit per square foot basis. They forget how many crafters/sewers/knitters come to the store for the craft section and then leave with a basket full of other items. If it were not for the craft section they would not have come to the store.

As an accountant I am ashamed of the number crunchers that do not understand what is behind their numbers.

I think I remember this as a "loss-leader"? Business class was so long ago ;)

GirlChris
05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
The reality with Wal Mart is you get what you pay for. It is cheap because it is what it is (not as clean, not as well staffed etc) so we make a sacrafice to get inexpensive stuff. I would love to only support small businesses unfortunately I can't afford that. When I do go to the LYS I am shocked at the prices and thinking, "uh that would be a $20 pair of socks that's nuts" so I have a hard time spending the $, I'm cheap. I know the yarn is much better quality though. I do have a Walmart, Michael's, Joann's and a few LYS close though so I am lucky to have a few options.

cacunn
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I think I remember this as a "loss-leader"? Business class was so long ago ;)

It was when I was in school, but, I am not sure that they will accept anything that has the word "loss" in it.

The reality with Wal Mart is you get what you pay for. It is cheap because it is what it is (not as clean, not as well staffed etc) so we make a sacrafice to get inexpensive stuff. I would love to only support small businesses unfortunately I can't afford that. When I do go to the LYS I am shocked at the prices and thinking, "uh that would be a $20 pair of socks that's nuts" so I have a hard time spending the $, I'm cheap. I know the yarn is much better quality though. I do have a Walmart, Michael's, Joann's and a few LYS close though so I am lucky to have a few options.

I can remember K-Mart over 30 years ago was like Wal-Mart when if first started. Low price, but in a clean friendly store. Then K-Mart started to look only at the profit line and the number of employees dropped, and the cleanliness of the store dropped, the quality of the product dropped and people stopped going there. This is the same thing that appears to be going on at Wal-Mart. I go there only for things I can't get else were. I'd rather pay a little more and support a local shop owner and be treated nicely then go to Wal-Mart.

Mike
05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Ours is slowly going away, I think my sister's has all but gone away.
Used to have buttons of all kinds, now has one bubble pack of regular buttons.
But the yarn is still there and getting stocked.
Every time I buy fabric I have to wait in line so I hope they won't do away with that section.

There are times the yarn doesn't get restocked for weeks but generally they are good about it.
The next nearest one is always well stocked but I think that's because it's stuffed way back in the far corner and nobody uses it.

If it's true they're doing away with it I guess I'd better go buy a bolt of duck cloth. We went from 3-4 Jo Ann's in the area to 1 so it's a trip to get to that store and from what I understand they're not well stocked.

Crycket
05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I can remember K-Mart over 30 years ago was like Wal-Mart when if first started. Low price, but in a clean friendly store. Then K-Mart started to look only at the profit line and the number of employees dropped, and the cleanliness of the store dropped, the quality of the product dropped and people stopped going there. This is the same thing that appears to be going on at Wal-Mart. I go there only for things I can't get else were. I'd rather pay a little more and support a local shop owner and be treated nicely then go to Wal-Mart.

Ah...I remember K-mart...yeah...good comparison!

victoria arms
05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
According to everything that I've been reading in the different forums Walmart will be doing away with their craft department in September 2008.

Mike
05-27-2008, 03:54 AM
According to everything that I've been reading in the different forums Walmart will be doing away with their craft department in September 2008.
I just checked ours, it's not thinned out anywhere.
I figured at least the fabrics would be thinner.

It would be pretty stupid of them if they do company wide without consideration to the community.
Further away from the bigger city is a town that is full of a religious sect that obviously makes their own cloths.

Spikey
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
As a long-standing WalMart hater (watch the movie). Nothing they do surprises me.

Amazon.com sells zippers, buttons, yarn, etc. with a reasonable variety. And you don't have to use your own gas to get to a store.

For the person who wanted Peaches and Creme, that can be ordered directly from the company http://www.peaches-creme.com (http://www.peaches-creme.com/)

Also an internet search will almost always turn up a free shipping coupon for Joann's.

cftwo
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I must admit that I hate the fact that WalMart no longer stocks embroidery floss. I'm moving later this summer, and it looks like it will be a 20 mile drive one-way to get a 30-cent skein of embroidery floss. :(

Silver
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Fine by me. The fewer things I need from Wal-mart, the better. They can do away with the craft section, the home section, the pet section, food, clothes, everything.

panchita
05-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I only shop at Mal*Wart if I have to. They're the only place I can get miscellaneous items with a school purchase order (plus the best prices for my limited classroom budget). Unfortunately, one of the things I buy there is fabric to cover my bulletin boards... dang it!

I don't shop for myself there, so I won't miss the dwinding craft or sewing section.

I feel sad for our KH friends who don't have any other "touch-it-feel-it-squeeze-it" buying options for their yarn.