PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on this substitution

Lynaire
05-20-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm making myself a nice big light throw to use as a pram cover for when baby arrives. I wanted something not too heavy, as we're heading toward summer.

I found this pattern, which I think will work well:
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/Print+Ads/LW1417+Angel+Baby.htm

However, it uses a very chunky yarn. I've bought a lovely cotton fingering weight yarn, and I'm thinking of knitting the throw in that instead.

It'll be more work, but I think it'll be lovely.

Anyone who's more experienced who can see a problem arising with this, or has a different opinion, I'd love to hear it :)

gotta knit
05-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Cute choice of pattern.

I've crocheted numerous baby blankets over the years as gifts. With holes a thinner yarn is sometimes too stretchy, I often use 2 strands at once. You'll have to try it and see, hope it works out as you imagined!

Lisa R.
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not big on swatching, but I've read enough to know that that's the answer to your question---knit up a swatch and see how you like the look and feel of it.

suzeeq
05-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Really the only way to see how a particular yarn works with a pattern is to knit a sample. You can CO about 30 sts or so (depending on the stitch count of the pattern) and knit a few repeats to see how it looks.