PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Sapphire Raglan Sweater

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
OK, this is my first progress pic of the raglan sweater.

I know in the pic it looks like one sleeve is coming out longer than the other but that's just a combination of how I had it on and that shorter edge was rolled a bit more, they're actually the exact same length.

I think it's coming along reasonably ok for my first attempt at one.

Ignore my tacky shower curtain :rofl:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2510828405_ba7c47df0c_o.jpg

Knit4Fun
05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Looks great, Mason! I love the color! :hug:

Jan in CA
05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
It looks great, Mason!! You'll have to take it off the needles or use two long ones when you separate for the sleeves though. ;)

ritaw
05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks great to me Mason . Can't wait to see it finished :)

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 01:00 PM
It looks great, Mason!! You'll have to take it off the needles or use two long ones when you separate for the sleeves though. ;)

Thanks.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Tutu Carol
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I think it looks great Mason!

cindycactus
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
The color is great and the fit looks perfect. You are doing a great job.:clink:

GirlChris
05-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Wow, it looks great and it is coming along really quickly too.

I kinda like the shower curtain. :wink:

Ginnyb
05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
More than reasonably ok! It looks great and I like the shower curtain! Isn't it exciting to see a sweater come together like that? After I made my first sweater, my daughter commented " Wow, it looks like a real sweater" LOL

Ginny

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
More than reasonably ok! It looks great and I like the shower curtain! Isn't it exciting to see a sweater come together like that? After I made my first sweater, my daughter commented " Wow, it looks like a real sweater" LOL

Ginny

Thanks, yeah it is fun to see it taking form.

gotta knit
05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Lookin' good.

Miss Kittie
05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Looking good.:thumbsup:
I like it better then the one posted on the pattern..;) :teehee:
I'll be watching for the next pic..

bambi
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Looks great!

Bambi

Wanda Witch
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
The sweater looks just great and the color is beautiful. IF I remember correctly, think somewhere along the way you wrote you were 'winging' the pattern?? WOW! I do have a top-down-type pattern I'd like to attempt but sort of afraid of going the wrong direction - well to me, that is. You are giving me the courage to try. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Looking good.:thumbsup:
I like it better then the one posted on the pattern..;) :teehee:
I'll be watching for the next pic..

Huh? What pattern? I'm sooo confused...

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
The sweater looks just great and the color is beautiful. IF I remember correctly, think somewhere along the way you wrote you were 'winging' the pattern?? WOW! I do have a top-down-type pattern I'd like to attempt but sort of afraid of going the wrong direction - well to me, that is. You are giving me the courage to try. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Yep, just winging it. I used the percentages listed for sweater construction on a couple of websites (with some minor alterations for my build) to calculate the stitches, increases, etc. So far it seems to be working out with some minor adjustments for fit as I go.

Go for it!

Debkcs
05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Great color for you, Mason. Are you working on anything other than this right now? I always seem to have two projects going, but right now, just a Booga bag.

I think Jan and Miss Kittie were teasing you.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Great color for you, Mason. Are you working on anything other than this right now? I always seem to have two projects going, but right now, just a Booga bag.

I think Jan and Miss Kittie were teasing you.

Well, I am still trying to decide for sure what to do with this pound of sport weight alpaca. I get an idea and then keep changing my mind :rofl:

New Girl
05-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Mason, I am impressed! The color looks great and it looks as if it fits perfectly! The sweater actually matches the shower curtain - kinda. Can't wait to see the finished product! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
The sweater actually matches the shower curtain - kinda.

:rofl:

tarrentella
05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
great shower curtain! not so sure abaout the sweater though ;)

Jan in CA
05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

When you divide for the sleeves which, means taking the sleeve stitches off the needles and putting them on waste yarn, you then cast on whatever you need to for the underarm. It makes it really hard to try on with the needles in now because you'd have to put your arms through the sleeves to see how it fits. So putting in another long circ through the back stitches OR putting all the stitches on waste yarn is how you go about this. I prefer waste yarn. I would do it once after you've knit a few rows to make sure it's going to fit around you, then you probably won't need to do it till you are measuring for length. ;)

Here's a shot of my first (and only so far) sweater at that point.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
great shower curtain! not so sure abaout the sweater though ;)

:roflhard: Thanks.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM
When you divide for the sleeves which, means taking the sleeve stitches off the needles and putting them on waste yarn, you then cast on whatever you need to for the underarm. It makes it really hard to try on with the needles in now because you'd have to put your arms through the sleeves to see how it fits. So putting in another long circ through the back stitches OR putting all the stitches on waste yarn is how you go about this. I prefer waste yarn. I would do it once after you've knit a few rows to make sure it's going to fit around you, then you probably won't need to do it till you are measuring for length. ;)

Here's a shot of my first (and only so far) sweater at that point.

Ok, I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. Actually that's what I've been doing (another long circ) when trying it on anyway just to make sure I didn't accidentally pull it off the needles.

Jan in CA
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Ok, I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. Actually that's what I've been doing (another long circ) when trying it on anyway just to make sure I didn't accidentally pull it off the needles.
:thumbsup:

scout52
05-21-2008, 10:40 PM
looks great so far. i love the color

evona
05-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Looks great :)

Slim
05-22-2008, 07:35 AM
It looks great, Mason. I love the color. The neck size is perfect, and the fit is great so far. I'm very impressed that you designed your first sweater! What type of increase are you using for the raglan sleeves? I've only done yarnovers for raglan sleeves, which creates a little hole for a lacy effect, but I know there are other ways to do it.

Can't wait to see more pics of your progress.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
It looks great, Mason. I love the color. The neck size is perfect, and the fit is great so far. I'm very impressed that you designed your first sweater! What type of increase are you using for the raglan sleeves? I've only done yarnovers for raglan sleeves, which creates a little hole for a lacy effect, but I know there are other ways to do it.

Can't wait to see more pics of your progress.

I experimented with different increases to see how they would look and settled on the basic KFB increase which seems to be working out fine.

dustinac
05-22-2008, 09:05 AM
:yay: it looks great and I love the color!!

WandaT
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Good for you! I still haven't tackled my first sweater! It's looking great so far! and I agree with everyone else, that color is beautiful on you!

lihutchi
05-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I love top down tops! You have total control over the fit. I just posted a pic of the first bottom up top I've made in a loooong time and I'll be going back to the top down.

MerigoldinWA
05-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Keep knitting; this is going great. Winging it is such a great way to learn things. Bravo!

Jaxhil
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
That is looking great-I really love that blue-such a gorgeous shade!

and, umm..i kinda like your tacky shower curtain..reminds me of mine :lol:

GiddyKnitter
05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Looking good x

Puddinpop
05-26-2008, 05:47 PM
That's great. I haven't made a sweater. I made a vest years ago when my grandmother was teaching me to knit.

loveswildflowers
06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I really like your sweater - that blue is really striking. My DH keeps hinting at me that he'd like one. Think you could send yours my way when your thru? :roflhard:

Debkcs
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Mason, please keep knitting and posting pics. Due to RA flareup, I've had to put knitting and other things aside for a bit. I'm knitting vicariously through the rest of you, and counting on you to keep my spirits up. Knit, Mason, knit!!! :)

Knitting_Guy
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Mason, please keep knitting and posting pics. Due to RA flareup, I've had to put knitting and other things aside for a bit. I'm knitting vicariously through the rest of you, and counting on you to keep my spirits up. Knit, Mason, knit!!! :)

That's a bummer. I hope it improves soon.

Pat in Ca
06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Love it!! are you liking a BIG project?? I did a top down.. turned out too big..I'm gonna try again someday..