PDA

View Full Version : My first "real" yarn order!

Azlynn
05-23-2008, 03:16 AM
I just got my first shipment (from KnitPicks) of "real" yarn! I'm a new knitter, and up until now, the only yarn I have knitted with is yarn from Walmart. I don't have a local yarn shop here in my small town, and I was overwhelmed with so many different options online. Some very nice person on here pointed me to KP, and I ordered some of their sock yarn, and it just arrived today! I'm a self-taught knitter, and I went from knitting a scarf directly to teaching myself to knit in the round on circulars and DPNs on a hat, and have been addicted since to knitting funky hats. So I decided now I want to learn SOCKS! I got my yarn today, and my first sock is already on the needles. I adjusted the pattern to make a miniature one for my first one for practice, and so far it's turning out so cute! I'll post pictures of it as an FO when I'm finished. I can't wait to get it done. I don't even want to go to bed now! How am I ever going to get any work done? lol

Oh, and back to the yarn......such a HUGE difference between red heart yarn and nice, luscious, soft yarn from KP. I had NO idea!!!!! YUMMMMMMMY! It's not even that much more expensive, really!

Mirl56
05-23-2008, 06:51 AM
KP is great, isn't it? I just cast off socks using Risata. Wore them yesterday and now I can't wait to get them washed so I can wear them again.

I've used several of their other sock yarns, too.

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I agree that natural fibers are better in many respects, but don't be too harsh on the acrylics as they have their place too and some of them, like Caron Simply Soft, are pretty nice.

I've felt some pretty crappy natural fiber yarns that you couldn't pay me to knit.

Knitting in the round is fun, isn't? I love circular knitting, it's addicting.

I look forward to seeing your first socks.

Azlynn
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh I'm not being harsh on the acrylics, and I'll definitely be using it again for certain projects....it's just that there's such a huge difference in using that and the stuff from KP. lol

After my first taste of knitting in the round, I can't stand to knit flat anymore. I'm ruined forever. I tried a flat project while I was waiting for my sock yarn, and I was so bored after just a few rows, I couldn't even stand it. I couldn't wait to pick my DPNs back up. lol

Unfortunately, my Walmart doesn't have Caron Simply Soft. We have Red Heart Super Saver (that's mostly what I've been using *sigh*), and some others that are reallllly bad and split all the time, so my choices area extremely limited.

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh I'm not being harsh on the acrylics, and I'll definitely be using it again for certain projects....it's just that there's such a huge difference in using that and the stuff from KP. lol

After my first taste of knitting in the round, I can't stand to knit flat anymore. I'm ruined forever. I tried a flat project while I was waiting for my sock yarn, and I was so bored after just a few rows, I couldn't even stand it. I couldn't wait to pick my DPNs back up. lol

Unfortunately, my Walmart doesn't have Caron Simply Soft. We have Red Heart Super Saver (that's mostly what I've been using *sigh*), and some others that are reallllly bad and split all the time, so my choices area extremely limited.

Yeah Wally World's selections are getting worse and worse. Is there a Hobby Lobby or a Michael's anywhere close to you? They usually stock some decent acrylics.

Knitting in the round is so much more enjoyable to me than knitting flat so I know what you mean.

Have fun with the socks!

cindycactus
05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah for KP yarns. I love to knit with their sock yarn. I used to knit tiny socks for Christmas and hang them on my tree or attached them to a gift with a candy cane or some other candy in them. Have fun knitting. :thumbsup:

Cirrus
05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Acrylics are nice for some things since they wash and dry so well. It isn't itchy either like even the softest wool might be for a baby. But wool is the best for socks. I recently used KP's Essential for a pair of socks which I have on today. It washes up nicely and is soft.

By the way, which tiny sock pattern do you use? Size 0 needle?

Susan

Plantgoddess+
05-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I also love KP yarn. I just today finished a pair of socks using their Gossamer lace yarn. Yummy.

Azlynn
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
There's an actual pattern for tiny socks???! LOL I didn't know! I have a book that I just ordered on making socks, and I'm just doing everything a fraction of the sizes (CO 30 so far). I didn't know there was an actual pattern. I'm getting nervous, because I'm just about to get to the heel, and that's the part that freaks me out. Hopefully the book explains it well. So far it doesn't make sense, but I'm going to follow it step by step and see how it goes.

Oh, and my tiny sock is in the KP Essentials, Coral color. I only ordered one ball of that just for my practice sock. I'll be using Felici once I know what I'm doing, but I didn't want to waste it since it costs more. I'm kinda cheap. lol

snowbear
05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
When I received my first "real" yarn I gushed. I played w/ the skein, petting it, and tried to image the ultimate pattern.

All yarns have their usefullness. It is so fun to discover the differnt yarns that are available. Enjoy and have fun...
Congrats!

Azlynn
05-24-2008, 04:06 AM
LOL I'm not the only one who pets her yarn?! I can't put it away yet because it sits next to me on the couch so I can keep picking it up and squishing it, rubbing it on my face, and just....well...petting it. I even have my 4-year-old DS petting it. I wasn't going to admit it, but since you did.....LOL

I ripped out 3 tiny socks so far because I kept doing my math wrong trying to modify the instructions in my book, so I went online and found an actual pattern, then used my book to read the detailed instructions to help me understand the pattern, and I just finished the heel and gusset, and I'm about to finish the toe. I'll have a finished miniature sock by tomorrow! I stayed up 3 hours past my bedtime to get that far, so now I need to go pass out. I'll post a FO picture tomorrow though. I can't wait to see it finished. It's going to make a perfect little keychain! I used smaller yarn and needles than the pattern, so it's the size of my finger. SO CUTE!