PDA

View Full Version : WHAT? It's cheaper to fly!?!

Silver
05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
So we're going on our summer vacation in August and are going to Salt Lake City and Yellowstone. We planned to drive, like we always do. We're very good at road trips and enjoy them a lot.

But with gas prices today, and even higher in 3 months, we were getting worried about the cost of this trip. 4 years ago, when we drove to NYC, Niagara, and Canada, we only spent about $600 in gas. But to drive to SLC, Yellowstone and back to Florida, we expect to spend well over $1000 in gas alone.

Add in meals for 4 people, 3 times a day, for 4-6 travel days, at least 2, if not 4 hotel stays, plus miscellaneous expenses, we'd be looking at easily spending $1500 - $2000 in travel alone.

DH was asking what I thought our cut off should be. At what point would we say gas is too expensive, we have to call it off. Then it hit us...

DH's credit card reward points! We can cash in our reward points and get 2 free plane tickets, and the other 2 will cost less than $1000. We're staying with in-laws (his brother) anyway, and they have an extra car we can use while there. We can pack light and be certain to meet baggage requirements, and we can borrow camping equipment from BIL and other friends in SLC. Aaaaannd it'll give us up to 6 more days of our vacation! http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/3585/plane8zh.gif :cheering:

Sunshine's Mom
05-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Way to work out the math, Silver!!! :cheering: The government isn't really expecting folks to do that. They think we'll just keep doing our normal routine.

We redid our pool area last year. This year it's the porch that goes out to it. That's OUR vacation. A week (or 2) off and we get up, go outside, come in for food and baseball scores and go back out. It might not be much, but it's quiet and comfortable. And we've increased the value of the house! :thumbsup:

Have a great, great vacation! It sounds like loads of fun.

knitncook
05-23-2008, 10:08 AM
We are "vacationing" at home as well. And doing yard work. OK, I'm having my brother the landscape artist do the yardwork, but we will get to reap the benefits of it and hopefully have a few yard parties this summer.

Silver
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
We redid our pool area last year. This year it's the porch that goes out to it. That's OUR vacation. A week (or 2) off and we get up, go outside, come in for food and baseball scores and go back out. It might not be much, but it's quiet and comfortable. And we've increased the value of the house!
Excellent vacation. And yours can last all year long. We don't have a pool... wish we did though. I'd love to vaycay in my own backyard. :heart:

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Crazy isn't it?

Wanda Witch
05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
You know, personally, I think vacationing and playing 'tourist' in your own hometown, whether it is NYC or Podunk, Nowhere, is fun. See all the sights, go to the restaurants, concerts, just like those with a map in their hand. Anyway, everyone, enjoy in whatever way you plan to spend your vacation. That's what is all about....

Jan in CA
05-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I've lived in my "hometown" for ...oh all my life so vacationing right here is not much fun. :teehee: Going up to Santa Barbara or San Simeon isn't too far and is fun though. :thumbsup:

Have you considered the train, Kristin? That's a long trip of course, but it's another alternative to driving. Not sure of the costs now though. The plane sounds ideal for this trip though since you have some free tickets!

fireflyknitter
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Taking the train is expensive too... every time DH and I start looking into going out west to see my parents we look at the cost of flying vs. trains and the train's been more expensive every time. :( Pity, think of all the time to knit I'd have taking a train across the country!

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
That sounds wonderful to me. I don't care for crowds, anyway.

Silver
05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, we did consider the train, but quickly learned it's a lot more expensive, even than flying. It's $2400 just for coach, and each way takes 3 days with 2 changeovers. If we wanted beds for sleeping since we'd be traveling overnight, we'd have to get 2 roomettes for all 4 of us. The total fare would be, are you ready? $5868.00!! :shock:

We do love taking the train though, but we reserve that for short trips like when DH and I took the train to Tampa for a concert. That was fun!

I agree that vacationing around home is a lot of fun too. Which we do, pretty often. We'll go stay in a hotel on the beach for the weekend, which always feels like a great mini-vacation. Even though we do these major vacations from time to time, they're still pretty inexpensive considering. We always stay with family when we can to save money. We're just fortunate to have family in neat locations around the states. My mother in law lives in Hawaii... maybe that'll be next...:cheering:

vaknitter
05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Take a look at what airline you are flying - I saw on the news that some airlines are now charging $15 per first checked bag and like $50 for the second - in each direction

Gas is outrageous. The hubby and I drive a lot for vacations to be able to take our dogs and kayaks and it's looking like we may not be able to go in June

Silver
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
We're going on Continental. We can each bring 1 carry on, 1 personal item and 1 checked bag. $25 for the next checked bag.

We're going to have a rehearsal packing to see just how many bags we "need". I'm concerned about the 14 yr old girl. She'll probably have to bring EVERYTHING she owns. :teehee: