PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy Again

jdee
05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm breaking out on my face, and now it seems to be spreading to my arms. It grows along our back fence, and I break out almost every summer. My husband sprays it, but it still comes back.
I'm sorry, organic gardeners, but We've got some Roundup thats especially for poison ivy. I hate it, but there just seems to be no other way. I have pets, so I've always tried to garden as safely, and chemical free as I can. I have holes chewed in my basil leaves and hostas, because I refuse to use dangerous products, but the poison ivy has got to go.

Ok. I'll stop whining now.:aww:

evona
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh I feel your pain!!! I am so sorry!!

I am one of the lucky people who are not just allergic but extremely allergic to poison oak (a relative of poison ivy and poison sumac) I got exposed a few years ago while crossing a creek that was swollen from recent rains - had my pants rolled up and there must have some in the water. My legs and feet were so swollen. I cried to my BF about how I had Flintstone feet!!! :waah: I couldn't walk and even the pressure of going up in an elevator created so much pain in my legs I cried. I finally had to get on strong steroids and I called in sick. My boss didn't believe me when I said I was calling in due to poison oak :roflhard: needless to say I can understand having to get rid of the stuff.

jdee
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh, it's bad. It can bring out the whiner in ever the strongest person. Your boss had obviously never had it.

evona
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Oh, it's bad. It can bring out the whiner in ever the strongest person. Your boss had obviously never had it.

My boss comes in to the office and says he hiked 5 miles and I say "Where?" and he says "On my treadmill" to which I respond "That's not a hike!". The time he doesn't spend in court is mostly spent in his office so you're probably right :roflhard:

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I got it right before a vacation to the beach. I knew I would be miserable, so I went to the doctor with it. They have stuff that makes it go away a lot faster. You should go.

evona
05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
You know what has really worked for me for prevention of the poison oak/ivy affects. Tecnu! I take Tecnu wash with me when I go on hikes or backpacking trips. When I even think I may have come into contact with poison oak I wash my hands (or whatever part of my body touched the poison oak) with the Tecnu before touching anything else and I have noticed that the affect is diminished. I also put some tecnu in my wash when I come home from a hike.

jdee
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, Technu is miracle working stuff. I don't have any right now, but I'm planning a walmart trip. It might be a good idea to add it to the list.
There was one summer, I don't know how long ago, that I had a really bad case of it. My husband had gone out there, and tried to pull it up from the roots (he's not allergic) and I guess that stirred up all the oils into the air, because I kept getting it. In fact, my doctor told me that I couldn't have anymore steroid shots until the next year. She told me to wear long pants, and throw them into the wash as soon as I came indoors. I felt like I was contaminated or something. Then the next summer, it STILL grew back. So I just try to avoid it. This is the first breakout I've had in a long while. So far, the rash is still small, and I'm treating it with benedryl cream. I wonder if technu is safe to use on my face.

Knitting_Guy
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
That's a real bummer.

I'm one of those lucky people who are immune to it so I can't really say I know how you feel.

CountryKitty
05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I get it every year without fail. PI is everywhere on my property--we even had a vine that was a good 3" thick at the base and went 30' up the trunk of a cottonwood tree in front of the house when we first moved in. Must say, it did turn the most beautiful scarlet color in fall.

One trick that helps relieve the itching temporarily, at least for me, is to run very hot water over the affected area for 10-20 seconds. It causes the itching to become really intense while the water is running, then when I remove my hands from the water and blot dry the itch disappears completely for a while.

evona
05-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I get it every year without fail. PI is everywhere on my property--we even had a vine that was a good 3" thick at the base and went 30' up the trunk of a cottonwood tree in front of the house when we first moved in. Must say, it did turn the most beautiful scarlet color in fall.

One trick that helps relieve the itching temporarily, at least for me, is to run very hot water over the affected area for 10-20 seconds. It causes the itching to become really intense while the water is running, then when I remove my hands from the water and blot dry the itch disappears completely for a while.

This worked for me as well. The hot water releases the histamine giving you some temporary relief. Of course I don't recommend running hot water on your face, but maybe a hot washcloth might help.

I don't know if its safe to use Tecnu on your face. I looked at the warnings online just now and it just says keep out of eyes, but so do most face soaps. You might try it on a small spot of pi on your face and see what happens. There's also this product:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=35430

I've never used it before so I can't say it works, but its all natural and it might be better on the face. I've seen this stuff sold at my local outdoor/camping store.

Carol_OH
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, organic gardeners, but We've got some Roundup thats especially for poison ivy. I hate it, but there just seems to be no other way.

so does it work well? I just saw it on the shelves yesterday...let me know if it does the trick for you!

jdee
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
It gets rid of it, but like all other products, the PI comes back. Hopefully, if we keep fighting it, eventually it'll go away.
The fence it grows on is old, and in bad shape. We're hoping that when we finally get enough money saved to replace the fence, maybe that will be the end of the poison ivy.

Carol_OH
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Good luck with all that. I think I'll just borrow a goat! :D

jdee
05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm sure the round up would probably work if we just had a small patch of PI, but ours came with the yarn, and you can tell it's been growing for along time. There's one tree, were you can't tell where it's own leaves end, and the pi leaves begin. That's probably why we're having so much trouble.