PDA

View Full Version : What's Your System?

Knitting_Guy
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Most of us don't start and finish a project in a single sitting so we need some way of knowing where we left off. For example I am working on the raglan increases of a sweater where I have to do 8 increases every other round.

When I set my work down I need to have some way of knowing whether I left off on an increase round or a straight knit round. What I do is leave myself a little clue as to where I was.

I always stop at a stitch marker. If there is one stitch knit past the marker I know I was on a straight knit round. If there are two then I know I was on an increase round.

When working something with decreases it's just the opposite. Two means it was a straight knit round where one means it was a decrease round.

It works for me.

For cables I always leave off right after doing the cables, or in a cable round, that way I know exactly where I was when I go back.

So what do you do to remind yourself where you left off?

tarrentella
05-24-2008, 12:43 PM
i'm not nearly as subtle or sophisticated as you Mason!

I resort to post-its, highlited pattern lines, notes! even with all three i still forget wher i am up to!

Ginnyb
05-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I have to leave myself a detailed note, LOL!!
Ginny

Debkcs
05-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Someone very wise said 'learn to read your knitting' so I did. If it's a knit-purl pattern, I always leave it so that the next stitch is a knit stitch. Like you, if cabling, I always leave off right after the cable.

Otherwise, I leave a note in my journal. If worse comes to worse, I frog until I know 'where' I am.

suecq
05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
That's really cool Mason. I am afraid my method is not cerebral.
I just use those green row counters, if I am keeping track of 2 things a use a red one too. I keep a green one with each project. I put a piece of the yarn I am using through the loop onthe thingy so I don't mix them up from one project to another.

Azlynn
05-24-2008, 01:00 PM
HAH I thought I was unique in my little hints like that, Mason! lol My knitting experience is much more limited than yours, but say I'm doing a hat where I'm decreasing. I only stop during a straight knit round, but to remind myself how many decreases I did on the round before, I knit that many past the stitch marker. So if I did a K2tog, K5 the round before, I'll knit 5 stitches past the stitch marker. Then when I come back, I'll just finish knitting that round, and I'll know the next round I need to do K2tog, K4. I hate writing, so I never write things down. lol

Wanda Witch
05-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Gee, I have yet to work in the round, but some of your hints above will be used if and when I do. Working straight, well, I use a row counter (I have two), a note pad and then still forget, and I always thought I was a 'perfectionist' - NOT. Thanks to all above for their hints.

Mirl56
05-24-2008, 03:32 PM
A post it note always tells me what row I'm on. hatch marks on the post it will keep track of how many decrease/increase rows I've done if I need to track that.

hummingbird
05-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I tend to look at my knitting and figure it out or if its too complicated for that, make notes.

Doublereeder2
05-24-2008, 04:24 PM
It depends on what I am working on. If it is a lacy pattern, I use paper and pencil. If I am on the gusset of a sock, I can usually read where I am but on the heel flap, it is back to the pencil and paper.

On a large project like a garment, I write out the direction in my notebook then use hash marks to notate the row. I always stop at the ends of a row or section.

suzeeq
05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
I count rows and stitches and measure. I seldom follow a pattern except as a basis for my knitting, so just figure out where I ought to be.

Jan in CA
05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I use two coil-less safety pins. If they are attached together it means I need to decrease. If they are pinned separately it means knit even.

I have also used paper and pencil, but it's easier to lose that especially if you set it aside for awhile to work on something else.

I do know how to read my stitches now, but this is a quick way to remember for me. ;)

cindycactus
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I use a combination of a Row Counter and a paper and pencil. Depending on how complicated the pattern is. If it is a simple pattern I can usually recognize the stitches in the row before. I have been knitting for more years than I care to remember.:knitting:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-24-2008, 06:59 PM
i always finish a row then jot it down on a post-it note and stick that to the pattern i'm working on

Lisa R.
05-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I use row counters. Typically there is a clue in the pattern, so you know where you left off. For instance, in my current sock, I'm decreasing on the odd numbered rounds, and knitting even on the even numbered rounds.

If the pattern is particularly complicated, I might make a note on the pattern. For my entrelac scarf (which may or may not EVER end!), I was easily confused, and tried to only stop at the end of a rectangle or triangle, and I put a post-it note on the pattern where I stopped.

I also had one pattern a while back that had rows to keep track of as well as repeats, so I used two row counters.

cheesiesmom
05-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm with Jan. Coiless pins. I'm working on 2 sleeves at once with a cable up the middle (every 16 rows) and increases (every 6 rows). By putting the pins in the stitch for the eable row and in the increase stitch, I'm able to keep track. Post-its are also very helpful.

KnittinMitchie
05-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I know how to read my knitting. Also I use row counters and make notes on the pattern in pencil. I try my best not to stop in a decrease round EXPECALLY when it comes to socks

Plantgoddess+
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
If I'm just putting the knitting down for the night I try and stop at the end of a row. I can generally read my knitting and pick it backe up. In the past when I was making sweaters more sometimes I'd put them away for the summer so I wrote down where I was in the pattern whether commercial pattern or I my own. I make a work sheet for my own pattern for figuring stitch count and shaping as well as the yarn used and needle size and gauge.

Crycket
05-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I am a fan of keeping a little note pad with me ( you know the little hand size ones) and keep my rows counted on them. I have a series of symbols I use. Usually circling for increases or decreases, or underlining, or star....then I cross off my rows so I know where I left off....

Boring...yet it works...

jdee
05-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm another sticky-note person. I also use row counters.

mwhite
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Pencil mark the completed row or round, move post it note to next one.
Knit when nobody is here to interrupt
Recognize the stitches and count back if necessary.
If I have to wait either for more time to knit or yarn, make notes and keep each project with its instructions in a separate, zippered bag.

auburnchick
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I try to do the math beforehand and then reset the counter and go from there. I will also leave myself a note on the pattern with the date, time, and a comment like, "finished knitting ____ round." I think that working the math beforehand is the key for me, though.

dreamsherl
05-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I resort to post-its, highlited pattern lines, notes! even with all three i still forget wher i am up to!
Ditto.

WandaT
05-25-2008, 07:20 AM
I have used paper/pencil, row counters, stickies, board with magnent, etc. It depends on the pattern though. Most of the time I try to leave off after a pattern repeat when at all possible (unless I'm just going to get a drink or to the restroom). Since that isn't always possible I'll use whatever I think is going to work the best for me on that particular project.

gingerbread
05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
When I started knitting I always had a terrible time keeping track of where I was. I know write out the pattern on cards. That helps me keep track of where I am. I leave a little space for me to write something on it to remind me again where I am.

:waving:

Rubie
05-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Same with me. I HAVE to write it down, or I can't remember!!
Justine

tokmom
05-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Someone very wise said 'learn to read your knitting' so I did. If it's a knit-purl pattern, I always leave it so that the next stitch is a knit stitch. Like you, if cabling, I always leave off right after the cable.

Otherwise, I leave a note in my journal. If worse comes to worse, I frog until I know 'where' I am.

Yep, that's me. I try to leave it as a knit stitch as well. If I do an increase, or decrease, I use post it notes, or write it in pencil on the side of the pattern.
I'm trying to learn to read my knitting, but still struggling.

rox_on2
05-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I can usually read my knitting, but row counters, post-it notes and st markers are all very useful tools.

Ronda
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
I make a copy of my pattern, and I either write on the pattern itself where I am or I have a notebook and a copy of the pattern, and I write down in the notebook where I am and what I need to know. I also try to stop only at the end of the row, but sometimes that doesn't always happen.

figaro
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Normally I end up printing the pattern and just checking off the row as I do it but with my 6 washcloths I had to do something different. I printed a new copy with check off boxes for each row. Then I put it in a plastic sleeve and as I did the row, I used a write on/wipe off pen to check it off. Worked great until I came to a few rows that kept confusing me, for that I used a piece of blue tape (for taping off borders while painting rooms) and that worked great, no more confusing the rows.

Well, anyway that is how I do it.....

dustinac
05-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I use a magnetic board to follow charts and pattern directions...and then I keep notes of my CO date, changes, and count my rows the ol' 5, 10, 15 way with the little marks...if I'm doing Increase/Decrease rows then intead of a straight line for the #rnd I will put an I or a D...I can read my knitting as well but find that time consuming to go back when I have it written down...it's a lot faster :happydance:

GinnyG
05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I keep a pad of sticky notes in my knitting bag nd use them frequently.

sakura-panda
05-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow! I had no idea! :noway:

I'm still working on practice squares so I just -- go to the end of a row. :roflhard: I try to make each square a little more complicated and this one that I am working on now actually has a right side and a wrong side. :blush:

When I'm done with this square, I'm going to try a sock. :knitting: This square is actually the pattern I want to use for the sock and I wanted to be confident in that before I took on a new task.

I find all this note taking pretty interesting and it is something I'm probably going to consider as I get more experienced. :thumbsup:

Lisa R.
05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Interestingly, I initially thought it seemed odd to "take notes" on your patterns and such...I mean, the pattern is right there already, right??

But as I go along, I've found that I prefer to just leave a mistake here and there as a "feature," but I have to make a note so I know how to do it the same next time...or I'll find something that is confusing (I struggled with picking up gusset stitches in the right order at first, and kept getting turned around, for instance), so I'm finding the more I knit, the more I want ot have a good note taking system.

I don't yet, but I'm working on it. :)

saracidaltendencies
05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
So far I haven't done anything terribly complicated so I just keep it in my head. Like hubby's sweater...I'm working on the sleeves and there's a decrease after every 7 rows. If I have to stop knitting, I stop just after the decrease, or, if that's not possible, I keep my row counter set to the last row I knit (ie row 4) so I know next time I either start with row one, or, pick up on say, row 5. Most of the other things have been stockinette stitch and that's easy enough to tell where ya left off...lol...Also, if I'm following a chart, I make a copy of the chart and draw a line through each row of the chart I have completed.

KnittingNoob
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
If it's a pattern repeat type situation, here's what I do. I purchased very small split rings and some beads from Micheals. I then place a bead on one of the rings and start chaining them together. If I have say 10 rows of plain i chain 10 together. Then, if a pattern repeat takes place, i place a bead on another ring and add it to the chain then chain the number of rows in the pattern repeat. When I knit to this chain/marker, I pick up the next circle in the chain. That way, I know at a glance where i am in either the plain section or the pattern repeat. I also sometimes place beads for increase rows on the appropriate circle in the chain. Using this method, I can put my project down for a long time and pick it back up knowing where I left off. No notes to lose also :)