PDA

View Full Version : How long can you go without knittiting?

Debkcs
05-25-2008, 01:43 AM
I have to admit to being thoroughly addicted to knitting, more than I ever was to crochet or cross stitch or quilting and sewing. I still do those things, but even if I've been busy all day, I've got to do a few rows of whatever knitting project is calling the most to me.

Anybody else?

I just noticed my typo in the heading, maybe I should learn some edititing? ;)

Azlynn
05-25-2008, 01:45 AM
I absolutely HAVE to knit every day. Even if I can only sit down and knit a row or two, I have to. DH says I act like a person in withdrawals until I pick it up and get started. It's truly like therapy to me - no matter how stressed I get, it always helps take me to a different place.

WandaT
05-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Hmph, longer than I thought. Lately I've been so busy the last couple of weeks, I haven't even gotten my few rows a night in. I've just been too tired when I head to bed. It stinks! BUT I've been working on a project I wasn't excited about either. I finally finished it Friday night (need to weave ends in) so I can finally move on to two more that are already started and finish them too!

Debkcs
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
It takes my head to a 'different place', also. And it's much better than using Valium or something like that, which has crossed my mind a time or two when totally stressed out.

Wanda, whatever project you just finished, congratulations! Hope you have time now to just sit and let those needles fly.

Knitting_Guy
05-25-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm not a compulsive knitter, I knit when I feel like it....

just a minute, gonna knit a few stitches.

OK, I'm back.

As I was saying, I can take it or leave it and don't actually feel like I need to knit anything at any...

OK, I'm back.

Knitting is something I do when I'm not doing anything else and...

OK, I'm back.

Never mind...

Doodknitwit
05-25-2008, 09:18 AM
i can go w/o knitting 8 hrs... but I'm sleeping..so does that count. :roflhard: :blooby:

mwhite
05-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Let's see, I can't go for very long but gotta sleep 6-7 hours, work 8-10 hours, subtract that from 24... leaves about 6-7, cook, clean, play on the KH forum--- About 2 hours daily! Yeah, now that really isn't enough but for therapy and sanity, PRETTY GOOD!!! Hubby says I'm always knitting but not so from the calculations. Just wait til he goes to Costa Rica for his job...that's when I'll knit alot!!! :teehee:

mwhite
05-25-2008, 09:20 AM
i can go w/o knitting 8 hrs... but I'm sleeping..so does that count. :roflhard: :blooby:

:roflhard: Bet you're figuring patterns in your dreams though!

mwhite
05-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm not a compulsive knitter, I knit when I feel like it....

OK, I'm back.

As I was saying, I can take it or leave it and don't actually feel like I need to knit anything at any...

OK, I'm back.

Knitting is something I do when I'm not doing anything else and...

OK, I'm back.

Never mind...

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mwhite
05-25-2008, 09:22 AM
It takes my head to a 'different place', also. And it's much better than using Valium or something like that, which has crossed my mind a time or two when totally stressed out.

Wanda, whatever project you just finished, congratulations! Hope you have time now to just sit and let those needles fly.

Much cheaper than Valium!! Same effect though!!! :woot:

Plantgoddess+
05-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I have always been a seasonal knitter. Come the first nice day I'm outside working. Since I found you guys I have been obsessed. I now knit in the morning with my breakfast and anytime I come in the house to take a break and then I knit after dinner until bedtime. It doesn't look like I'm going to put it away for the summer this year.

mathwizard
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I knit and crochet daily as stress relievers. But mainly because I love doing both and can't let a day go by without doing either.:cheering:

boo1
05-25-2008, 10:11 AM
and on those days I don't, I'm usually ordering more yarn! ;)

Crycket
05-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I have gotten to the point right now, where unless my hands are busy....I feel like I am wasting time, and slightly restless.

I at one point was knitting at home, at work, and on the streetcar there and back! I have since eliminated the streetcar, simply because on the way to work, it is a "wake up" period, and on the way back, it takes at least half way before I get a seat.

I need to knit at work though...it keeps me sane (an my boss is uber good about it) and watching TV at home seems...well...for me just isn't as productive or relaxing if I am not knitting....

tokmom
05-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I try to knit every day, but with nicer weather, my garden is calling me. My goal is a few rows at least every day, especially at night after the kids are in bed. But even that hasn't happened lately.

fireflyknitter
05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm going on my longest knitting break yet-- about 3 days since I finished my last project. I'm waiting to start another one when I get my new yarn in the mail! :yay:

heatherg23
05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I knit all day every day for other reasons then most. It makes me not think of my medical issues.

The BETTER I get the more I want to knit. :cheering: The options for knitting things is endless.:woot: It makes me want to knit more and more every day. :woohoo: It's great. It's definetly addicting and I LOVE to create things.

Heather

cam90066
05-25-2008, 09:24 PM
It's a daily thing for me. I notice when I don't get in a good knitting (or crocheting...or crafting) session. Many days, beyond the therapeutic nature of it, it almost like its own ray of sunshine.

BTW, you can correct your Subject line in Edit>Go Advanced.

cam

vaknitter
05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
My knitting kind of goes in fits and spurts. I almost always have a project OTN to take on car trips etc, but then I have a primary project of some sort that I have to work on until it is done. Sometimes it is a cross stitch project and right now it is my wedding scrapbook. Other times I start a book and spend every spare moment reading. When my primary project is something I'm knitting for someone I can't go anywhere without it.

gotta knit
05-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I used to knit a lot. Then I actually stopped for a few years while I had stuff going on, only crocheting baby blankets as gifts when necessary. I happily rediscovered knitting recently and knit for at least an hour most days.

Alyce
05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I love to knit socks but I had cataract surgery and still can't see well enough to knit something that small. I still can work on my sweater but I really miss my sock projects. I usually knit on something everyday and always carry a project with me wherever I go.
Alyce:happydance:

Debkcs
05-26-2008, 11:45 AM
(((((Alyce))))) Hope your eyes heal up well soon.

Gertie
05-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Now I can go for 3 days wo knitting. This fall when BOTH of our kids are gone to college, I'll need all the fiber therapy I can get.

DD is moving out (2 hrs away). DSn will be in a dorm (1 hr away).
At DSn's commencement last Thurs one of the student speakers joked about how the house will be quieter when they leave. I don't want it to be quieter! :pout:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-29-2008, 01:50 AM
I 'like' to knit some every day... but, I have gone as long as a year w/out knitting anything... WHY? I had severed nerves and tendons in my right hand and they did 'micro-nerve' surgery.. and there was no way that my hand was able to do something like knitting- however, I did keep trying to 'knit'.. off and on... I figured that was my gauge of if my injury was 'almost well' or not?
PS Did you know that 2 different Physical Thep have told me that they teach patients w/ severe hand injuries to knit.. because it's so good for 'regaining' motor skills. They were happy to know that I already knew how to knit- when I told them that I had been 'trying' to knit- but, still couldn't make the movements w/ my hand yet.

AND.. right now... I've been so busy w/ my upcoming move- that I haven't had time to knit in about a month and that is why I so enjoyed the down-time on the plane and I was able to knit a square for Mason's mom's blankie... and I also started the hat for something else that I had promised to knit a hat for... the hat didn't get finished- but, it got about 1/3 finished and that's a good start and I'll work on it again in about a couple of weeks- when things get less busy. (at least I hope that things will get less busy!) :roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
05-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Unfortunately, my knitting schedule usually revolves around my stupid hands. I suffer from hyperhidrosis which is excessive sweating, and it can effect the hands, feet, armpits, face, and sometimes all of the above. The worst area for me is my hands and in the summer it's terrible. I often have to carry paper towels with me and just hold them to try to absorb the sweat. I knit a lot more in the winter, when my skin dries out, but come summer, I can barely knit at all. :grrr:

scout52
05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
I knit every day unless i get home too late from work. it's my stress reliever. every once in a while i don't get home from work until right before bed so those days i don't get to knit. But other than that I knit every day. So the longest I've gone without knitting is probably a day or two

Luvmyrottnboy
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think I have gone a whole day without knitting since I started a couple of years ago.

Last summer I had a back injury and couldn't sit down so I did some knitting standing up. Not a lot, but some! :)

Sanibelle
05-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I knit pretty much every day. Usually at night I turn on the TV and knit while I am listening to it. After a long stressful day it is my "zen".

rachejm
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I managed two weeks recently without picking up my needles, been busy with exams. Then the other day I got so stressed out with some of the revision that I just had to put it down and pick up my sock. Exams finish Monday and I will then be able to knit to my heart's content without feeling guilty because I'm not revising. Can't wait!!!

gargoyle08
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
For me, it depends on how exciting the project I am working on is and how tired I am... If i am excited, my night of sleep and the 10 hrs I spend away from home are too long and I have to pick up the needles right when I step in (so much for cooking dinner!).

I finally learned (after lots and lots of frogging) that knitting while you are tired might bring errors that you don't notice right away (especially with dark fuzzy yarn), that finding such errors brings stress and that in the end thanks to the frogging and having to pickup stitches, I did not do any progress and did not benefit from the relaxing effect of knitting.

So when I am really busy and not too excited about what I got OTN, I can be a few weeks off, but after a month I surely feel the withdraw effect and need to get back to it, even if I have to start another project LOL!!

marlajap
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Sanibelle said: Usually at night I turn on the TV and knit while I am listening to it.
Exactly! I work full-time, have 2 kids (12 and 19, so mostly self-sufficient, I will admit), a helpless DH, and pets, too. So, after I do the full day of work, cook the dinner, attend to any problems around the house by dispensing equal parts of medication, advice, pet food and chore assignments, I pick up my knitting bag and hit my knitting chair, and relax the evening away.

I have found, too, that my knitting keeps me from boredom-related eating, which has resulted in some reasonably serious lost pounds (yay!) and the fidgeting urge to go outside for a cigarette (which results in spending less on smokes so I can spend more on YARN!! Yeah, I know, I should just quit smoking...)