PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Swap! *Packages Arriving*

Pages : [1] 2 3

jeanius80
05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
:happydance:I know I said i didn't want to be a swap mom again.. but it is hard to resist! So here it is :teehee:

Swap time line is easy. Sign-ups close June 15, 2008.
It is a one month swap, with your package being shipped no later then August 1, 2008. Please be timely!

here is the plan:

* each person would pick a few themes/ideas/colors they love (i.e. roses, mermaid, green, fast cars, cookies, lady bugs ...)
* favourite fibers (and allergies too! got to be a responsible swapper)
* one technique or particular type of pattern they haven't tried but would like to.
* multiple options are best, and make it much more of a surprise!

the secret sender would then be responsible for doing the following:

* dye, spin, or buy yarn/fiber in their selected price range and theme
* find at least one pattern that highlights the technique their receiver wants to learn (or possible an exact pattern)
* keep everything in theme! (edible goodies not-withstanding)
* CONTACTING your secret pal once when you get their info, a second time no later then July 14, 2008, and a third time when you have mailed the package. (snail mail, email,KH, ravelry)

:heart:optional of course (as usual) would be little goodies like stitch markers (handmade or bought), chocolate, teas, special regional treats or favourite candies .. whatever pops into your fabulous head! the idea of the receiver giving the sender at least two theme ideas to choose from would make the anticipation and surprise a little greater, and in my not so humble opinion, even better.

Package tracking or delivery confirmation is NOT required, but recommended.

:fingerwag: I will not tolerate anyone NOT contacting their pal. This helps your pal know you are still participating, and keeps you more accountable for your package. Swappers, if your partner fails to contact you by July 14th, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Email is best but PMs will also get my attention!

jeanius80
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
(removed my email... sign ups are closed)

Copy and paste this into an email and email me the entire questionnaire with all answers filled in! To make it easier for me, I will be assigning you a number as I receive your questionnaire. DON'T LOSE IT! This will be how I track your emails from then on and you will need to include it in the subject line of all your emails to me please!

Price categories are in USD
-------------------------------------------------
QUESTIONNAIRE
1. Your name (KH Screen name, Ravelry Name, first name, last name):

2. Your mailing address:

3. Your primary e-mail address:

4. If there are any problems with your questionnaire how would you like me (jeanius80) to contact you? (Primary email, KnittingHelp PM, Ravelry PM)

5. Price category $10, $15, $20, $30

6. Your preference on possibly SENDING to someone in another country?
(Don’t Mind Sending or Prefer Not To)

7. Is your home smoke &/o pet-free?
(all yarn being given should be kept odorless and kept away for any kind of pets for allergy reasons)

8. Do you have any allergies to pets &/o smoke?

9. Are you allergic or adverse to any types of yarns?

10a. Fiber preference?

10b. Are you a spinner? Would getting fiber instead of yarn be ok?

11. Theme/Idea/colors?(please list at least two, and up to as many as you can think of!

12. Pattern or technique you'd like to try?
(a direct link or name is best, and please, if you list a 'paid' pattern, try to include a free on as well!)

13. Would you be willing to be a Back Up Secret Swapper for someone who is unable to send to their assigned Pal? (you would then have 2 people to give to)

Zebragirlnz
05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
:cheering:I'm in!

jeanius80
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
This is the UP TO DATE list of who is participating. Your number on this list is your 'assigned number'

1. Zebragirlnz
2. Debkcs
3. Foxyie
4. gargoylelib
5. tarrentella
6. JamOKnit
7. Doodknitwit
8. princessbonniejane
9. MommaG
10. CognizantAmiga
11. Karina
12. astonh
13. knitting4-2girls
14. HollyP
15. Bree
16. Sanibelle
17. mks22300
18. Staarrkatt
19. Secksiebrat
20. oneyarn
21. threesmom
22. jesthestar
23. Jackie Lim
24. cheekyprincess
25. Cynamar
26. Robynbird
27. Riss
28. *KnitPixie*

Zebragirlnz
05-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Just sent my questionnaire email in!

katiebug081504
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
sending my questionnaire now!

jeanius80
05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
feel free to add a button (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7175157@N06/2527037514/) to your signature, your blog, your neighbors mailbox, whatev :shifty:

just please save it to your computer before using it, Thanks!:muah:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2527037514_fbd2213c6f_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2527037514_fbd2213c6f_t.jpg

Foxyie
05-27-2008, 02:04 AM
what wha.. i'm so in! :)
i was just thinking of swaps yesterday.. heh.. running off to do the questions now!

tarrentella
05-27-2008, 08:48 AM
would this be open to people outside of the USA? i would be interested (swaps are so much fun) but i live in the UK.

jeanius80
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
would this be open to people outside of the USA? i would be interested (swaps are so much fun) but i live in the UK.

It is open to persons outside the USA (I already have one person signed up who lives in Europe) :mrgreen: Thanks for asking!

JamOKnit
05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Oooh! Yay! I was just wondering if there were any swaps I could get in on!!! Will send my questionnaire right away! :)

tarrentella
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
oh goody!! questionare is in. I hope i havn't been too demanding!

princessbonniejane
05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I just sent my questionare in. Yay!!!

CognizantAmiga
05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I have followed several of these, and I just have to participate! I am going to send in the questionare!:aww:

MommaG
05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I just emailed my questionaire in I am so excited I took part in one before and it was so much fun.

jeanius80
05-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for sending in the Q's! It's fun reading them all :)

Karina
05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi have read some of the post from the previous swap and would like to join this one. have send the questionnaire off.

astonh
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Yippee!

HollyP
05-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm in! :woot: Off to fill out my questionnaire!

bree
05-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I just sent my e-mail. I'm really looking forward to this :)

Sanibelle
05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm in - I will send you my questionnaire.

knitting4-2girls
05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Just sent in my questionnare (sp?). Yeah!!!

HollyP
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Jeanie , I resent my questionnaire because I realized I had left some things out. Sorry!!!

mks22300
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Sent off my questionaire! :)

jeanius80
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
the list is up to date on the first page (post 4!)

Remember, all sign-ups have to be in by June 15. No late entries.

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Darn it... I can't participate in this one... I'll be flying to the states on JUNE 15... then will have various doctor appointments... seeing a couple of friends and flying immediately to: GERMANY for my upcoming move.. otherwise, I'd love to participate.

I'll be w/out an address (or home for that matter) for awhile/etc..

I'm sure that you'll have a great swap... and I look forward to seeing photos of all the shared goodies.

Jeannie

astonh
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Okay, I know we all want to know so I'll be the onery one and ask... is it June 15th and partner time yet? How about now? Now? No? Rats!

Thanks again Jeanius80 for hosting another wonderful surprise theme swap for us! I can't wait to play with you guys again.

Hmmmm....who will I have? who will have me? I can't wait for the games and teasing and treats to begin!

Debkcs
05-31-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm in! Will send my questionaire right away.

HollyP
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Bumping! Doesn't anyone else want to play with us?:flirt:

tarrentella
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Whoever i get to play with could be in for a treat .. I am going to Japan in July, and have heard of some great LYSs near were i am. I am hoping that i will get a chance to get some Japanese yarn for myself and for another lucky recipient.

Secksiebrat
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Sent in my questionaire!

~danielle~

oneyarn
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
:woohoo: I sent in my info....really had fun with the last surprise swap.

HollyP
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
That would be so cool Tarrentella!
I'm so excited to see more people signing up! This is going to be sooooooooooo fun!!!

jeanius80
06-01-2008, 11:51 PM
the swappers list has been updated! so far we have 20 swappers! :yay:

Foxyie
06-02-2008, 02:35 AM
whoo hoo! :woohoo:

astonh
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Yabba dabba doooo! (You can tell it's post weekend and that I obviously spent a little too much time watching tv with the kiddos. LOL) That is great!

cdjack
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking about it. After the last swap, I told myself that I wouldn't do another one. Oh, what the heck...

Cynamar
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm doing my questionaire right now!

CognizantAmiga
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I am SO excited! This is my first swap! I can't wait to find out who I get to shop for! I hope I filled out my questionaire fully. I have already thought of a few things I might have added.

threesmom
06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Jeanie's last swap was so much fun - watching how everyone got creative with the themes was inspiring! How could I pass up another one? I'm in! :cheering:

jeanius80
06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
folks, don't worry if you feel you needed to put more info on your questionnaire! You can always just post here for your swap sender to see ;)

tarrentella
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
folks, don't worry if you feel you needed to put more info on your questionnaire! You can always just post here for your swap sender to see ;)

well in that case ......
just kidding, i'm sure my list was long enough to begin with:teehee: .

jesthestar
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Just sent mine in! I love doing swaps!!!! I hope nobody minds that I'm still a knitting newb! =D

OH! Forgot to put in my survey that I am Alice in Wonderland obsessed!

HollyP
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Welcome to KH Jesthestar! I'm sure you are going to love it here!

jesthestar
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome to KH Jesthestar! I'm sure you are going to love it here!

Thank you Holly! I figure I'm here enough that I should register and get to know people :hug:

cheekyprincess
06-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Is it too late to join?? I am new here and stumbled up this thread. Sounds like loads of fun!
Angie

jeanius80
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
signups are open until june 15! :)

Foxyie
06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
jesthestar.. ooh i like alice too..i recently saw it at the ballet!

sheesh i can't wait to start shopping!

jesthestar
06-08-2008, 12:22 AM
jesthestar.. ooh i like alice too..i recently saw it at the ballet!

sheesh i can't wait to start shopping!

OH WOW! An Alice ballet, I need to see that!!! :D

Jackie Lim
06-08-2008, 12:55 AM
:cheering: i had fun in both receiving and buying for the last swap. I would love to be in this round again.:woot:

Jackie Lim
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
My questionaire is in :wink:

Foxyie
06-08-2008, 03:54 AM
OH WOW! An Alice ballet, I need to see that!!! :D

it was fantastic!

i think it might be travelling so i would say to def find your local ballet and see if it has been or will be there

cheekyprincess
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Just submitted my questionaire! I am so excited! I have never participated in anything like this! :woot:

Angie

astonh
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Five (5)...did you count them? FIVE days till sign-ups are done and then not much longer after that..... We get PARTNERS!!!!! :woot: Yeeeehaw!:woohoo:

HollyP
06-10-2008, 10:27 AM
You're not excited at all are you Astonh?:roflhard: I'm right with you. I keep seeing all these gorgeous yarns that any knitter would love. But I have to wait and see. Otherwise my budget would be blown before I even get a name.

astonh
06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
:teehee: Does it show? :roflhard:

Cynamar
06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I sent my questionnaire in yesterday. Yippee!

jeanius80
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I sent my questionnaire in yesterday. Yippee!

Cyndi- I didn't get your questionnaire.. could you resend it? make sure you send it to secretkniter80 AT yahoo DOT com :)

:happydance:

Zebragirlnz
06-12-2008, 02:11 AM
:cheering:3 more days, 3 more days 3 more days!!

I can't wait! Keep seeing cool stuff, have so many ideas, just want my swap partners profile so I can start shopping!!!

Cynamar
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I sent it again. Please tell me if it doesn't come. It will be from cynamartin at yahoo.

astonh
06-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I hear ya! The excitement.... it is almost (oh who am I kidding, it IS) overwhelming!

HollyP
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
:cheering:3 more days, 3 more days 3 more days!!

I can't wait! Keep seeing cool stuff, have so many ideas, just want my swap partners profile so I can start shopping!!!
I hear ya! The excitement.... it is almost (oh who am I kidding, it IS) overwhelming!
:woohoo:I love your enthusiasm:woot:! It's part of why I love this site!! I always feel like a bit of a freak when I am telling people about the swaps and how fun they are. Then I come here and see other people just as excited as me and know that the people who are not excited or don't understand the excitement are the freaks!:teehee:

jesthestar
06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
:woohoo:I love your enthusiasm:woot:! It's part of why I love this site!! I always feel like a bit of a freak when I am telling people about the swaps and how fun they are. Then I come here and see other people just as excited as me and know that the people who are not excited or don't understand the excitement are the freaks!:teehee:

DITTO!!! Plus I just got my set of Denise needles in, so I can't wait to knit something great for someone with them!!! :grphug:

cheekyprincess
06-13-2008, 12:32 AM
This is my first, but I cant wait either!!

astonh
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Be it your first, 10th, or 100th swap... the excitement and giddiness is always there!! Welcome to the wonderful world of swapping! :O)

HollyP
06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Only 2 more days to sign up!! You know you want to!!!

Karina
06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
This is my first swap. getting a bit freaked out because I don't want to disappoint my swap partner. I will have to buy everything online as I don't live near a really good yarn shop. I so want to move to Bristol and live next door to Get Knitted.

threesmom
06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I think we all worry a little about disappointing our partners. But I can honestly say I have never been disappointed in any swap. I had one swap partner who disappeared shortly after the start of the swap, and it was a little disappointing that there was no contact with her. I did miss that. But I had wonderful swap angels though, who went above and beyond to fill a box for me. To me, the most important thing is just regular contact. You get to know the person, so that helps in making decisions. And lets not forget, its yarn!

Speaking of - I keep seeing all this delicious yarn on sale online ... and I really want to get some! I can't wait to find out who I'm buying for!!

HollyP
06-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I think we all worry a little about disappointing our partners. But I can honestly say I have never been disappointed in any swap. To me, the most important thing is just regular contact. You get to know the person, so that helps in making decisions. And lets not forget, its yarn!

Speaking of - I keep seeing all this delicious yarn on sale online ... and I really want to get some! I can't wait to find out who I'm buying for!!
I agree on all of the above points 100%. When I am shopping for my swap partner I am always a little worried. In the end I know that they know that I put time and effort not to mention money into the gift I send. That has to count for something. That being said I too have never been disappointed by a swap.

Yarn sales are killing me right now since I keep think ooh look how much extra I could buy!

jesthestar
06-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree on all of the above points 100%. When I am shopping for my swap partner I am always a little worried. In the end I know that they know that I put time and effort not to mention money into the gift I send. That has to count for something. That being said I too have never been disappointed by a swap.

Yarn sales are killing me right now since I keep think ooh look how much extra I could buy!

Ugh I'm right there with you guys! Being a semi-beginner knitter, I am always worried my simple stuff won't be fancy enough. But I've done a couple swaps and people have loved what I've sent, so it keeps me doing swaps! :happydance:

jeanius80
06-14-2008, 12:31 PM
I love swapping too.. I always figure thatif the recipient doesn't like their package/yarn they can always destash or trade for something they like better, so no real worries :)

I do think that good communication with your partner is key! That way you can get to know them better, and have a greater chance at getting something they will love :heart:

LAST CALL FOR SIGN UPS! :)

Swappers, if you have a blog or something similar, share it! This will help us get to know you better. Swappers, let those ideas start brewing... If you have a good tip on places to shop (online or off) Share them :) I'll be partnering up everyone tomorrow night and will do my best to let you know who your partner is on Monday.

Zebragirlnz
06-14-2008, 04:31 PM
This swap has perfect timing. Even tho, I didn't know it when I first signed up.

A close family friend died on Thursday. My husband has flown down south to attend. I stayed at home, as we couldn't afford two air fares, and for me to have time off work.

He went yesterday, and is not coming back till the 24th. It is so strange being home by myself, and very lonely. So being able to concentrate on the swap will be a great distraction for me! Roll on Monday! Which I guess could be Tuesday for me :pout: Ahh well, something to look forward to. I can't wait to start planning and shopping!!!!

jesthestar
06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
This swap has perfect timing. Even tho, I didn't know it when I first signed up.

A close family friend died on Thursday. My husband has flown down south to attend. I stayed at home, as we couldn't afford two air fares, and for me to have time off work.

He went yesterday, and is not coming back till the 24th. It is so strange being home by myself, and very lonely. So being able to concentrate on the swap will be a great distraction for me! Roll on Monday! Which I guess could be Tuesday for me :pout: Ahh well, something to look forward to. I can't wait to start planning and shopping!!!!

:hug:

jeanius80
06-14-2008, 09:33 PM
:hug: I hope you are feeling ok! Sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad the swap will help brighten your day a little bit!

Zebragirlnz
06-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Feeling ok, just a little lonely. So I have rented some dvd's and plan on just sit knitting and watching movies this afternoon.

tarrentella
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
:hug:and :hug: for you. hope you are doing ok and aren't too lonely. Don't forget you always have us here! Is that an australian flag i see in your avatar? according to my mum it is getting quite chilly and wintery in places this week (she is just north of Sydney) so if it is the same for you it is the perfect time to be off work withsome DVDs hot chocolate, knitting and swap planning!

Feeling ok, just a little lonely. So I have rented some dvd's and plan on just sit knitting and watching movies this afternoon.

edit: sorry i have just seen that your name ends in NZ so i guess the Australian weahter report does not apply. Sorry for getting the nationality wrong!

HollyP
06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
:hug:Zebragirl! I'm so sorry for your loss.

TO my future swap giver( or anyone else who wants to read it) my blog is listed in my signature just click on my name.

Can't wait for the assignments:woot:! Thanks again Jeanie for hosting :muah:

robynbird
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I just sent in my questionnaire - I think I'm in the nick of time but if I'm too late I understand. :)

CognizantAmiga
06-15-2008, 03:32 PM
AHHHHHH!! :woot: :woot: I am so excited! I can't wait to get to know someone to send yummy goodies to!!!!!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

tarrentella
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
HollyP: i probably won't be your swap partner as you are overseas but i have had a lovely time reading your blog and are pushing me to start my own. Also thank you for introducing me to Rice Help.

My potential swap partner ... i do not have a blog (yet) but i do have a Facebook acount which you are free to look at or add as a freind if you use that site. (just PM me for my full name)

Riss
06-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I had a funny feeling that I should check this forum today. Glad I did. I LOVED the last secret swap. Hope I'm not too late. *dances*

Foxyie
06-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Zebragirlnz.. so sorry to hear about your loss :hug: hope you are doing well!

and whoo!.. not *too* long now before we have our swapees! :happydance:

Karina
06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Zebragirlnz - sorry for your loss. Hope you get to relax and watch all the movies you normally would not watch with your DH and get lots of knitting done. Plan a lovely welcome home dinner for when your husband comes back.

Holly - i enjoyed reading you list of a hundred things. will go back and visit again.

Zebragirlnz
06-15-2008, 07:29 PM
:hug:and :hug: for you. hope you are doing ok and aren't too lonely. Don't forget you always have us here! Is that an australian flag i see in your avatar? according to my mum it is getting quite chilly and wintery in places this week (she is just north of Sydney) so if it is the same for you it is the perfect time to be off work withsome DVDs hot chocolate, knitting and swap planning!

edit: sorry i have just seen that your name ends in NZ so i guess the Australian weahter report does not apply. Sorry for getting the nationality wrong!
It is wintry and chilly here too. Outside is grey, drizzly, and quite windy. The perfect day for being inside and knitting

*KnitPixie*
06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Yay I joined..I couldn't help myself:cheering: :woot: :happydance:

jeanius80
06-15-2008, 09:18 PM
So... last call for sign ups! I won't be taking anymore swappers after 10 pm Pacific time. (thats about 4 hours from RIGHTNOW ;) )

I'll be working on matching up swappers and sending them out over the next two days! I am hoping to get it done as quick as possible, so we can get started :) YAY!

threesmom
06-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Zebragirl- so sorry for your loss :hug:

I can't wait to find out my partner! Between crappy work stuff and sick kids, I could use a little happy excitement. Not long now though! Good luck getting through all of the pairing up, Jeanie!

robynbird
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Yay - I'm glad I made it!!

Zebragirl - I am so sorry for your loss! :hug:

astonh
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm ditto for everything threesmom just said. :wink:

I'm so scatter-brained and frazzled (and in DIRE need of some swap fun) I not only forgot to call my brother and sis-in-law this weekend to wish them a happy anniversary but I forgot to call my dad yesterday AND forgot to call my brother to wish him a happy FIRST father's day. I did call this morning and was forgiven but man, I feel like pond scum.

Just wrapped up in my own little world of chaos. I promise I'll be more on top of things for my swap partner. I NEED to swap... it focuses me... :knitting:

Cynamar
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Did you get my questionnaire the second time? My blog link is in my siggie. I need to update it!

jeanius80
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I did get your email the second time Cyndi! Thanks!

I have all the swappers, I am just waiting on two people to respond to emails so I can partner up everyone!

Cynamar
06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
YAY!!!

astonh
06-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Do I have YOU? Maybe. OR do I have YOU? It's possible.

Yippeeeee!!! I've got my swap partner! I have to go and read more about what they like and do like so i can get my brain working on putting together a wonderful package for you!

robynbird
06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Do I have YOU? Maybe. OR do I have YOU? It's possible.

Yippeeeee!!! I've got my swap partner! I have to go and read more about what they like and do like so i can get my brain working on putting together a wonderful package for you!

Me too - yay!!!:woohoo:

CognizantAmiga
06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :woot: :woot: :cheering: :cheering:

I have my partner!!!!! HMMMM -- what to ask first!!!! I will be contacting you soon!!!!!

Foxyie
06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
whoo.. i know who i'll be shopping for...!!

i guess i better get looking..

jeanius80
06-16-2008, 06:23 PM
there is a short list of swappers who I haven't emailed yet. If you haven't gotten a partner yet, don't say anything! :) I want to keep it harder to guess who you have. I am waiting ona response from a couple of swappers in order to finish matching swappers. Thanks for understanding!

For the rest of you! Happy hunting and swapping :heart:

Riss
06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
So I have a quick question. Are we revealing ourselves to our partners? Or should we break out the secret email addresses and make every effort to keep it a guessing game?

jeanius80
06-16-2008, 06:43 PM
You can go either route. Stay a secret or reveal yourself. ;)

JamOKnit
06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Hooray!!! Got my swappee today! I'm looking forward to getting to know you a little better....and keeping you in the dark till the end! Mwa ha ha ha ha! :)
Look for a message soon!

princessbonniejane
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
YAY!! I got my email! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just sent her a email! YAY!!!!!!

jeanius80
06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Generally, I think most swappers have the majority of the swap cost go towards yarn. Patterns can be free, but you can count the cost if you buy one. The only thing you are required to buy is yarn. (Or fiber if your partner is a spinner and has said receiving fiber is ok with them. Please ask if you aren't sure) Candy, tea, treats and such, can count towards your total, but I would suggest no more than about 15% of the cost. After all, it's a yarn swap :)

Remember, no crocheting or knitting is required. And the yarn you buy doesn't have to be for whatever pattern you include.

You need to include the following:

Yarn
A pattern (or more than one)- free is ok!
Create a themed package and mail itIf you have any questions, feel free to PM, email or post them here :)

Duessa
06-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I was too late to join this one but I'm wondering how often these go on? I would have loved to join but I'm glad I get to hear exactly what all is entailed before I join the next one!

Karina
06-17-2008, 02:49 AM
I got my partner. now how do I go about contacting them without revealing my identity. Does this work so the one I am sending to does not send to me?
So as long as my email is different to the user name I use on here I should be OK, is that right? From reading the list she likes some of the things that I like so should be a joy to shop for her, Although hard to pass on the goodies. LOL

tarrentella
06-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Normally in swaps if you are person A you will shop for person B and person C would be shopping for you.
Contact is a good idea as it helps you to get to know that person a bit better and can make it more of a game. It isn't compulsary to keep your identity secret, but again it can add to the game of it, if it isn't revealed until they actually recieve their package. Some people create different usernames on here or email addresses etc. other people don't mind revealing their identity, to the extent of, as they lived near each other, aranged to meet up for the swap instead of posting!

Cynamar
06-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Do we have a theme as a group or does each giver make a theme for their givee?

HollyP
06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Yippeee! I got my partner's name!!!:woohoo:

Karina, I use a secret email that I set up through a free provider like yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc.

Quick Tip: for everyone make sure when you are sending your partner an email if you want to remain secret change your name for the sent from. It's kind of hard to remain secret if they keep getting emails from your name here. I know for my email they all say from Holly P****** I can very easily change it by going to options in my email and following the directions. You may have already known this but for my last I forgot to do so on one email (that my partner never got thankfully, it was bounced back to me. Isn't it great how computer glitches sometimes work in our favor?)

astonh
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
The frequency of swaps vary. Sometimes there will be one after another, occasionally, you can have more than one type of swap going on at once and then sometimes there is a dry spell (which is just torture on us all).

Just keep watch and I'm SURE you will be in one before you know it. In the meantime, stick around and watch the tormenting, teasing and fun go on here...

And to answer Cynamar's question... the "theme" is for each person to create/do for their partner, typically based on things they like or colors or whatever. There isn't an overall theme that we all adhere to.

Currently, I'm debating between a couple different themes for my swap partner... is it YOU? Hmmmm.... HA HA

HAVE FUN!!!

jeanius80
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
This particular swap has no theme other than it's a surprise. You are supposed to create a theme based on the questionnaire you receiver answered. I'll bump up the last "surprise theme swap" i hosted, and you can browse the packages that people sent to help get ideas. It was a lot of fun.

Cynamar
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Ah, I should have asked before I sent in my questionnaire! I thought it was for the whole swap and couldn't think of anything. For me I would have suggestions. Oh, well.

jeanius80
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok swappers! All swappers have been sent a partner! Please contact your receiver by this Saturday (June 21st) When your sender has contacted you, let me know by posting here. I am keeping track. More than one communication is ok, but at least one is REQUIRED.

The next REQUIRED communication is July 14th.

Have fun! :yay:

tarrentella
06-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Squeeeeee!!! i got a partner ... now the plotting begins. There were one or two things that stood out as good themes from their questionare so i am sure i will have fun.

Cynamar
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I heard from my sender this morning. I'm getting excited!

jeanius80
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Ah, I should have asked before I sent in my questionnaire! I thought it was for the whole swap and couldn't think of anything. For me I would have suggestions. Oh, well.
You can always posts ideas here or your sender can ask if they need some ideas. Also, if you have a blog, feel free to write a post about the things/color/places you love as a way for your swap sender to get to know you better. hope this helps Cyndi! :mrgreen:

Staarrkatt
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm so glad I checked on the requirements again ... I'm not sure why but I thought I had to actually knit the garment myself! Now that I know I only have to buy the yarn (and a few goodies, of course) .... well, this swap just got so much easier! <G>

Katt

Staarrkatt
06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Like Cyndi, I wish I had realized what was required .... I would have included that I LOVE dragons .... anything dragon is fine with me ....

tarrentella
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
dragons are great! my friend just bought a wall hanging with a very colourful Eastern dragon on, it is gorgeous!

anyway .. i heard from my sender. i had a nice email with a few questions in. thank you!

threesmom
06-17-2008, 04:27 PM
oh I'm excited! - my partner's list is giving me lots of good ideas! Now just to contact her, and let the real teasing start ...:mrgreen:

jesthestar
06-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh my gosh, I can't decide whether to be secretive or not!!! Must decide so I can contact my SP asap!!! :shifty:

oneyarn
06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I contacted my reciever, but still waiting to hear from my sender.

Riss
06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, I've sent off my email to my recipient. :)

mks22300
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I've sent an email and heard back from my buddy and the person who has me sent me an email. :)

HollyP
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I've contacted my receiver but haven't heard from my sender.

MommaG
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I have heard from who has me and I have contacted the person I have. Time to start thinking about what I want to send. And time to tease the person I have. HEE HEE HEE:woot: :woot:

cheekyprincess
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Me too! I cant wait to start shopping.

princessbonniejane
06-17-2008, 11:44 PM
I heard from my sender!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i sent a email to my receiver!! YAY!!!!!!!

Staarrkatt
06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Have heard from the person sending to me, have contacted the person I am to send to.

Katt

robynbird
06-18-2008, 12:32 AM
I contacted the person I am sending to and heard from the person who has me!! YAY!!!!

gargoylelib
06-18-2008, 02:09 AM
I've been in contact with the person I'm sending to....do you know
who you are? :wink:

And I had an email from the person sending to me this morning so
now just to keep my responses going to the right people! :)

Libbie

khsecretswap
06-18-2008, 02:22 AM

Hi Cyndi!

If you have suggestions please email me or post them here! I
haven't started anything yet...although I was petting some lovely
red wool yesterday at a local store!

Who am I? na-na-na-na-na-na :)

Zebragirlnz
06-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Well, I have contacted my reciever, and have heard from my sender! :)

:woohoo:Its finally started! Let the games begin!:woot::yay:

Karina
06-18-2008, 05:58 AM
I contacted the person I am sending to. :happydance:

Just though I would mention that I don't drink the flavoured tea. But I do occasionally enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.

Not sure if I put enough choice on my form, but can't think of anything at the moment. Would hate to seem to demanding.

Foxyie
06-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I've been contacted by my sender.. yay!
whoever they are will sure have alot to read! :teehee:

and i'm not saying when i've contacted my receiver.. i don't want to leave any clues! heh

astonh
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I've heard from the person who has me and responded (with probably way more info than they care to know about me). I'm so excited!:woohoo: (can you tell?)

As for the person I'm sending to... well, you hopefully have received your first message from me by now. I look forward to hearing back from you and getting to know you better so I can put together a, hopefully, wonderful package for you!

Okay, must put on my thinking cap.... what to do for a theme for my receiver?

Doodknitwit
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
have not rec'd the person I'm to send to!!! :tap:

Staarrkatt
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a question I'd like to ask privately but I'm not sure how to contact the hostess privately.

astonh
06-18-2008, 12:12 PM
At the top of the page, under Welcome Staarrkatt there is a "tool" bar of sorts. Click on "private message" (with pix of envelope). This takes you to your PM page. On the left, select to send a new message.

In the "to" field, you just type the KH name of the person you are wanting to contact. If the moderator of this swap, enter Jeanius80

type your message (remembering to use your swap code number assigned by Jeanius80 in your subject line -on page 1) and send!

Hope this helps.

HollyP
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I got an email from my sender!!!!:happydance:
:waving:whoever you are or as you are calling yourself Miss X! I'll be responding later tonight when I get home from school.

To the person I am giving to I have started the search for the perfect gift and I think I am on the right path!

Lol at Cyndi's swapper! At first thought you were posting as yourself then I looked at you screen name! Very sneaky:yay:!

HollyP
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you checked your spam box? I remember some people's email getting filtered into the spam box last secret swap.

astonh
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I remember that as well. Additionally, I'm sure our wonderful hostess with the most-ess will double check and/or resend the info asap.

On another note... I THINK I just thought of my theme and colors and now I've gotta see if I can find the things needed to pull it together in real life like it appears in my imaginary world. HAHA

Cynamar
06-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, you sneaky little thing! You're a clever one alright. I should have noted on my questionnaire that I am obsessed with tea (the whole tea ritual and everything related to it) and gardening stuff and that I love anything RED!

jeanius80
06-18-2008, 02:44 PM
i did send it, but I'll send it again. Please check you spam inbox as well. You also might want to add my email (secretkniter80 AT yahoo DOT com) to your email address book so it doesn't think I am a spammer.

jeanius80
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
A note about shipping cost:
First class is WAY cheaper if you are sending internationally (usually by as much as $20+)
Tracking is not required.
For those swappers in the US, the USPS has a postage calculator page, HERE. (http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage)

Just as an example, for me to ship to New Zealand, it ranges from $16.25-49.95 depending on what shipping option i choose. Flat rate boxes are often NOT the cheapest route and for me, first class usually takes just a little longer than Priority (sometimes the same amount of time)

Secksiebrat
06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
I received a message from the person that has me. I will respond later tonight. I also sent a message to the person that I will be shopping for. I haven't heard back from them yet! Be sure to check spam mails!

~danielle~

JamOKnit
06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been in contact and been contacted. Step 1 is complete from both directions! :) Now off to shop!!!

mare-nitt
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Darn, I missed the sign up time. But I will be reading along, have fun everyone. I love these swaps.

Karina
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I have heard from my Secret Swapper.

Secret Swapper I will have a little think about your questions and get back to you tomorrow.

CognizantAmiga
06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
I have heard from my partner (and I will answer you by tomorrow) and I have emailed my partner as well.

oneyarn
06-18-2008, 06:28 PM
:woohoo: Heard from my sender today.

Secksiebrat
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I heard back from the person I am mailing to, so I know they are happy. I also responded to the person that has me. Although they didn't need anything. They just wanted to torment me! *giggle*

~danielle~

jesthestar
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Contact both to and from my people today! Well actually, my super secret swapper buddy emailed me a couple days ago, I'm just super slow due to college eating me alive!

jeanius80
06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
just 9 swappers that need to be contacted! Thanks!

Remember, don't panic! Your sender has until the 21st to contact you.

Also, if need be, I can forward messages through KH PM only. You'll need to tell me who it is for (I don't want to have to keep flipping back and forth to my spread sheet) And I'll pass it on, being careful to delete your name :)

Doodknitwit
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
i guess those are proper terms..:roflhard: :roflhard: :happydance: :blooby:

swap kitten
06-19-2008, 04:48 AM
ZebragirlNZ has been contacted :) hehehehehe

Karina
06-19-2008, 05:38 AM
I have replied to my secret swapper.

Secret Swapper I do apologize for the verbal diarrhea, you just asked for answers to a few simple questions not an essay.

HollyP
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Secret Swapper I do apologize for the verbal diarrhea, you just asked for answers to a few simple questions not an essay.
lol @ verbal diarrhea! It must be contagious. I had the same issue when answering my email!

Riss
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Hurray! I've heard from the person who has me, but *checks* still haven't heard back from my recipient as to whether they got my mail.

astonh
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I, too, suffered from "verbal diarrhea". My sender was probably reading my response and wondering, "Good grief! Does she ever shut up?" HA HA.

Cynamar
06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
I contacted my receiver and heard again from my sender.

threesmom
06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I heard back from my swappee (YAY!!), but haven't heard from who has me ... I'm patient though! And waiting doesn't keep me from shopping!

Staarrkatt
06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
My sender said she chatted a lot ... then said I chatted more than she did ..... just 'cause it took a book or three to answer her questions! <G>

I've heard from my sender (and she's heard from me! lol) and from my sendee ....

Staarrkatt
06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
I've gotta pass this along!! The link below is to a music site for a Canandian folk artist I'd never heard of before tonight .... but knitters everywhere have got to listen to 'Gypsy Sock' and 'Sweaters for Penquins' .... just don't have anything liquid near you and don't be drinking as you listen .... your keyboard will appreciate your consideration ......... these are both **hilarious**!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=111365

This was posted on a spinning list I belong to. I'm gonna learn to spin at least enough yarn to make socks .... I am, I am, I am!

Katt

Debkcs
06-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Penguins are favorites around here, thanks for the link. Couldn't listen to the other one, will try again later, thanks.

astonh
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
OMG! I don't know if I'm crying from laughing at how funny those songs were or just how SAD they were. THAT was funny. Thanks for sharing that link...

I WANT TO BE A GYPSY SOCK, TOO!!

bree
06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Yay, I've heard from my sender. Weeeeeeee... this is fun!

jeanius80
06-21-2008, 01:30 AM
I have five persons who have yet to let me know if they have been contacted.

I am off to send a reminder for the senders to contact their receivers. Thanks ladies! Keep the humor coming! :lol:

*KnitPixie*
06-21-2008, 01:36 AM
I forgot to mention I sent an email to my swap pal to touch base and ask her some questions,I am just waiting to hear back from her...please check your spam mail everyone just in case you are my pal :) Also I have heard from the person who has me and I am super excited! LET THE FUN BEGIN!

gargoylelib
06-21-2008, 03:08 AM
I've heard from both my partners (the sender and the sendee) and
I'm really enjoying getting to know them both. Unfortunately for
them they get to know the virtual me who writes novels in every
email as opposed to the real life me who rarely says a word in
group settings....hahaha

Libbie :)

Foxyie
06-21-2008, 03:25 AM
welp.. i'm kinda sad..

i'm almost done shopping already! :teehee:

just a few more things and i'll be waiting for the goodies to arrive and off to my swapee they will go..

threesmom
06-21-2008, 03:55 PM
:woot: I heard from my swapper today!! She's planning and organized - all for little old me! Now that I've heard from both sides, now I'm REALLY excited! Now just to decide when to go shopping:mrgreen:

Cynamar
06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I am going to my LYS tomorrow as they are having a big "yard sale". I'm going to look for ideas for my swappee. Yippee!

knitting4-2girls
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry, I have been off the board for a week or so. Swaper and swapee have made contact from me.

I am loving this so far. Now I need to get shopping and guessing!!!!

jeanius80
06-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the updates swappers! I still haven't heard from two of you as to if your sender has contacted you.

(I know most have told me they have contacted their receivers.. but for keeping track, I am only checking off contact when the receivers let me know they have been contacted. Hope that makes sense!)

It's so fun hearing how excited you all are! i wish I could be swapping here too (but I am doing a couple spinners swaps.. so maybe this fall!)

:muah:

mks22300
06-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm having a great time coming up with ideas for my bud. Been doing some browsing and thinking and I can't wait to go shopping for you! :)

tarrentella
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
can't remember if i have already posted this, but i have contacted my swapee and been contacted by my swappe. they both seem like lovely people, although of course i have no idea who my swapper is! (it is driving me mad!)

astonh
06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
So I'm, perhaps, having a little TOO much fun planning my swap partner's package. I was sharing with my husband some of the ideas I had and he just looked at me, shook his head and said, Honey. You are a dork."

I've just got a few other things I'm looking for to include in the package to carry out the theme I've decided to go with. The hardest part about putting this package together is I realize I should have purchased 2x of everything cause I want it too. LOL.... I'm DEFINITELY going to have to attempt to knit the pattern I'm sending to my partner... TOO FUN!

Okay, well, run I must... the person who has me had sent me a message end of last week and I MUST reply before he/she thinks I don't love them... Later everyone!

princessbonniejane
06-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi! I was wondering about the price range. Lets say the price range was $20 does that mean that the everything has to amount to $20 or that if I want to buy something lets say yarn it can't be over $20? Thanks (I'm new to swapping :P )

jeanius80
06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi! I was wondering about the price range. Lets say the price range was $20 does that mean that the everything has to amount to $20 or that if I want to buy something lets say yarn it can't be over $20? Thanks (I'm new to swapping :P )

For *this swap* you are to buy yarn. If your receiver has only asked for a pattern that is a buy-only pattern, then that can count towards the total. Theme stuff can be free or for cost. I would recomend that most of your monies go towards your yarn. You could get one ball of amazing yarn or a few balls of more affordable yarn. Sales are always helpful (and lots of online shops are having summer sales.

So, for an example if you are in the $20 category:

Yarn- $13
Pattern- $4
Theme stuff- $3

Of course, if you have a bunch of theme stuff already, and you found a free pattern, your breakdown could be like this:

Yarn- $20
Pattern- FREE!
Theme stuff- FREE!

So, the only thing you are supposed to spend money on is the yarn. Postage is not part of your total cost. It is in addition to the price category you signed up for.
I hope this was helpful!

jeanius80
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Here are some sale links. You might also check out your local LYS, Joann and Michaels (or other craft shop) Lots will be having summer clearance sales, and most craft stores give out coupons for 40-50% off.

WEBS (yarn.com) (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/1314-1320/0-0-1294/)
The Yarn CO. (<-- might be phone order only) (http://www.theyarnco.com/yarn/fiber/22)
Patternworks (http://www.patternworks.com/products/U301/PW%20Summer%20Sale%21.htm)
Jimmy Beans Wool sale page (http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/saleHome.asp?pcID=21)
Discount Yarn (http://www.discountyarnsale.com/)
Smiley's Yarn (http://www.smileysyarns.com/)
Herrschners (http://yarnsale.herrschners.com/)
Purl SoHo (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/yarnlist/company,47)
A Good Yarn (http://www.agoodyarn.net/)
Knitting-Warehouse.com (http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn.html)
Yarn Barn (http://www.yarnbarn.com/sale/index.asp)
Cotton Clouds (http://www.cottonclouds.com/extras/specials.asp)
Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title_all&search_query=yarn+sale)

This is just some suggestions! If you have the perfect yarn in your personal stash, you can send it, but it must be at least a fair 'cost'. (IE current retail cost)

And remember, the price categories are minimums. If you go over, it's ok. BUT PLEASE, don't underestimate your receivers intelligence.

Also, I wanted to add a though. Last swap, I had a receiver get yarn that was 1) clearly not what they liked (multi colored when they specifically said they don't like multi's) and 2) novelty type yarn (again, clearly said they didn't like this type of yarn). On top of that, it was also clearly not at the minimum, by at least $5.

Please read your receivers Q. and don't send them something they have said they don't want. If you are unsure, ask!

HAVE FUN!

Karina
06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I have just been shopping online and bought what will hopefully be part of my package, This is a new yarn to me but could not resist. just have to make sure it is a nice as it looks.

cheekyprincess
06-24-2008, 12:03 AM
LOL my dh calls me a dork too. They just dont get it do they? Gotta luv 'em though.

cheekyprincess
06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I have contacted, and been contacted. This is SO EXCITING! I got some of the best goodies today! I sure hope my "swapee" likes it as much as I did when I saw it. I really am enjoying this!! :-D

gargoylelib
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Found some lovely yarn on sale today and so had to get two
balls to put in my package....now I wonder who it is for?

Riss
06-24-2008, 09:48 AM
You know.. that just happens to be my absolute favorite color...

HollyP
06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Pretty yarn! I can only imagine how soft it is but I don't think it is for me because I chose no to the international swap option.

astonh
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Gorgeous yarn! YUMMY! I, too, didn't do the international option so I know it isn't for me either. SOMEONE is lucky though....

tarrentella
06-24-2008, 11:51 AM
im not sure if i am interationally swapping or not, but i hope i am if i can get yarn like that!!

tarrentella
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
OK this is for everyone, and i hope my swap partner answers too.
Do you like Variagated/self striping yarn or not?

HollyP
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Variegated and self striping are good for me. I also really like dark to light tone variations like with mmmmalabrigo.

Debkcs
06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Varigated yarns? Not so much. Malabrigo type variations?
Love 'em!

I too am happily shopping for me swap partner. Should be finished by Friday.

Nobody ever said I had to stay within the $20.00 :)

Karina
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I like the hand dyed yarns, not keen on the sock yarn like Opal self striping. I have seen some nice socks made from tofutsie. I have just seen a sweater made with Kauni yarn which I thought was amazing.

Cynamar
06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
LOVE variegated and self-striping.

CognizantAmiga
06-24-2008, 05:27 PM
That green yarn is very pretty.

As far as verigated or striped, it all depends on the color. Generally yes.

Riss
06-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Not a big fan of verigated yarn. Self striping sock yarn is great though. :)

bree
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I like both self-striping and variegated. But I think I like variegated just a little bit more.

oneyarn
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
That's one of my favorite colors, too and looks like it could be the gauge that I would want.
Would make me really happy to open my package and find that inside.

oneyarn
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I like striped yarns for socks. I like the varigated that are light to dark shades of the same color best, but there are some great colorways of varigated yarns out there. Just find it hard to pick out a pattern to use with them.

Jackie Lim
06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
i :heart: Green.

robynbird
06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
i :heart: Green.

ME TOO! I am not a fan of self striping yarn and varigated is ok but I like semi solids alot. :)

Staarrkatt
06-25-2008, 01:20 AM

<sigh> I *know* you aren't my swap partner ... but I just today saw the Trekking HandArt yarns ..... and I may have to buy a new keyboard after drooling all over this one!!!

Katt

Staarrkatt
06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
I have never heard of Malabrigo yarns.... what are they and where can I find them?

Katt

gargoylelib
06-25-2008, 02:25 AM

I like variegated and self striping both! Is it me??? am I your
partner? hehe...

Libbie :)

Zebragirlnz
06-25-2008, 03:06 AM

I like both, but probably would prefer variagated.

Hmm... I hope that my swap partner sees this too!!:cool:

cheekyprincess
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Oh, I LOVE variagted/striping yarns! Is it me?? Am I your partner?? :mrgreen:

Foxyie
06-25-2008, 09:11 AM

are you my partner? hmm hmm.. i don't think so but of course i'm going to answer anyway.. i love both! heavily variegated and semi solid.. i'll take just about any yarn i can get..:teehee:

just so you know, my swapper, i'm adding more to my stash on rav this week so you should be able to get a better picture of what i like and have

to my swappee.. i hope you like hand dyed yarns..

threesmom
06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I have never heard of Malabrigo yarns.... what are they and where can I find them?

Katt

Oh! I wish you were my partner - I would send you some because it is divine!! Malabrigo:heart: is WONDERFUL supersoft, beautifully colored merino wool. Many online places sell it - here are a few: yarn.com (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-0-1294/0/24/)
and yarncountry (http://www.yarncountry.com/Malabrigo-m27.aspx)

As for the variegated question: I love variegated, a little less fond of self striping.

And I'm going shopping today:woot: !!! I'm about 900 miles from home, and there's a yarn shop here I'm going to check out! I wonder who I might get something for? (besides myself that is:teehee: )

threesmom
06-25-2008, 09:30 AM
to my swappee.. i hope you like hand dyed yarns..

Can I be your swappee?? I love hand-dyed yarns:heart: Pretty please ??

HollyP
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Poor Katt:hug: To never have felt the deliciousness that is Mmmmalabrigo. It's a shame.... Somebody get this girl some mmmm stat!! If you were my partner I would shower you in it but alas you are not or are you?:teehee:
I got a very taunting email from my giver:muah: yesterday. She is having as much fun with this as I am! I love it!!! I think it is safe to say she. We don't have any guys swapping this time do we?

Hand dyed yarn Foxyie are you my giver?

astonh
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
So, I worked yesterday during my lunch hour marking off persons who I knew couldn't be my swapper (yes, I'm on a mission to figure out who I have this time... I never have guessed before but, having learned from the masters - you guys - I'm doing process of elimination and have my swap partner narrowed down to one of 4 possible suspects... unless I missed something and marked off someone I shouldn't have which is very much likely with me.

Anyway, I'm hot on your trail... hee hee (I'm only being onery this time as I'm ALWAYS discovered by someone so it is MY turn. LOL)

So... I have a message from my swap partner in my inbox that I've yet to read (have to plow through the gazillion work ones first) but I'm hoping there are more clues to help me find you! Hee hee

By the way, I'm having a BALL with this swap. I love both my swap partners (who has me/who I have)!

jeanius80
06-25-2008, 01:05 PM
you all are funny!

Even though I am not in the swap...I love variegated and striping yarn :) (I love all yarn, except for maybe novelty stuff, though 'fur' yarn is useful ;) )

Malabrigo is heavenly yarn! It is made from Merino wool (soopa soft) and handdyed in Uruguay. The companies distribution center is in Florida, so it doesn't take ages to get to you like other similar yarns :heart:
It makes lovely, warm, soft hats and mittens. It would also make a warm sweater. It is feltable too, and I bet it would look great felted too!

(<-- unofficial Mmmmalabrigo pusher and glad her LYS now carries it)

Cynamar
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I should be embarrassed to admit here that w gal was selling Malabrigo this weekend for $3 a skein--and she had several and it only took her five to make herself a sweater--and I dind't buy it because the colorway was UGLY. I should have bought it and put it back for a swap!

jeanius80
06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
gal was selling Malabrigo this weekend for $3 a skein

where? what color? LOL

Cynamar
06-25-2008, 02:15 PM
The LYS had a yard sal where you brought your yarn to sell. There will be another in December, I think. I don't know the exact name of the yarn, but I know it was Malabrigo and probably worsted and in a hank and not skein, and some awful colors with browns and golds (which I ususally like).

astonh
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
You could have bought it and enjoyed knitting with it (oooohhh sooooft) something for someone you don't like. ;O) (like you'd knit something for someone you don't like... but )

Cynamar
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
heehee I wouldn't take the time for that. I'm not the most generous knitter yet. I should have grabbed it for a gift for one of you, though. I think I remember who had it. I will ask them about it.

astonh
06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
EDIT: EEEEEEEEKKKKK! NO WONDER I'm being especially onery on this post. It is #666 for me!

Oh my goodness! I just got the yummiest _______ and the prettiest (in my opinion, anyway) __________ and lots of ___________ to go along with the perfect __________.

Is this hint for you?

Staarrkatt
06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Actually, you should have bought it and overdyed it.... you could always have tried Kool-Aid, if nothing else. There are lots of directions online for using Kool-Aid.

I've looked at the Malibrigo sites that were posted ... and as far as I can tell, this yarn doesn't come in sock weight. Too bad :(

Katt

CognizantAmiga
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I just placed my last order for the yarn for my swapee!!!! :muah: I can't wait for it to get here for me to touch and feel! I feel very proud that I did not buy one for myself as I bought for her!!!:cheering: BUT, now you all have me kicking myself for not ordering some of the malbrigio that I saw. Unfortunatley (apparently) I am also one of those who has not had the pleasure of seeing any in person. I may just have to break down and get some!

jeanius80
06-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Actually, you should have bought it and overdyed it.... you could always have tried Kool-Aid, if nothing else. There are lots of directions online for using Kool-Aid.

I've looked at the Malabrigo sites that were posted ... and as far as I can tell, this yarn doesn't come in sock weight. Too bad :(

Katt
They actually DO have a sock yarn, it's just not available yet. They are back ordered from a recent fire, and prior to the fire, they were still trying to catch up with the big demand/need for the the dk silky yarn. So hopefully by this fall or winter they will roll out the sock weight :) BTW- the specs on the sock weight are 440 yards, 3.5 ounces, Superwash Merino. It's a plied yarn, not a single like the Noro Sock yarns

Jackie Lim
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Poor Katt:hug: To never have felt the deliciousness that is Mmmmalabrigo. It's a shame.... Somebody get this girl some mmmm stat!! If you were my partner I would shower you in it but alas you are not or are you?:teehee:
I got a very taunting email from my giver:muah: yesterday. She is having as much fun with this as I am! I love it!!! I think it is safe to say she. We don't have any guys swapping this time do we?

Hand dyed yarn Foxyie are you my giver?
[QUOTE]

I wish...i wish... do I have a chance to feel Malabrigo yarn (many good recommendations of this wonderful yarn in Ravlery).......

bree
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Oooh sock yarn. That is something to look forward to. I've never used Malabrigo either. But I have petted it at my LYS. I've just been too busy knitting socks.

Jackie Lim
06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
heehee I wouldn't take the time for that. I'm not the most generous knitter yet. I should have grabbed it for a gift for one of you, though. I think I remember who had it. I will ask them about it.

:cheering: Please put me in your "keep-me-informe" list, thank you.

Zebragirlnz
06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
:cool:Just did a wee bit of shopping! I wonder who its for and what it is!:cool: Its pretty tho, and 100% NZ made. I can't say much more, but its for you my dear swap partner!

HollyP
06-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I love all the teasing!!
Once I get my yarn for my swappee I will definitely be posting pictures. It has been carefully narrowed down to a few choice selections. I just need to make a final decision! I really hope I haven't given anything away by the proceeding statements!

Ashtonh have you figure out your pal yet? How on earth did you narrow it down so quickly?

Staarrkatt
06-26-2008, 02:34 AM
They actually DO have a sock yarn, it's just not available yet. They are back ordered from a recent fire, and prior to the fire, they were still trying to catch up with the big demand/need for the the dk silky yarn. So hopefully by this fall or winter they will roll out the sock weight :) BTW- the specs on the sock weight are 440 yards, 3.5 ounces, Superwash Merino. It's a plied yarn, not a single like the Noro Sock yarns

okay.... how do I go about finding out when this yarn comes out? My LYS does not carry anything so luxurious as this.

Katt

tarrentella
06-26-2008, 05:15 AM
I can't believe some of you have almost finished shopping, I havn't even started yet! Oh well.
Just so you know there might be a bit of a delay (but still within the deadline) with me sending out my package since i am going abroad in for 2 weeks and I want to buy some of the items while I am away. You will just have to hold tight I am afraid my dear swap partner.
Did I mention I am going to Japan? (ok, I know I have several times but, I'm so excited!:woot: ) So start thinking potential swapees, does anything on your list of themes fit in with Japan?

Debkcs
06-26-2008, 05:43 AM
I love, love, love Malabrigo! The only time I've ever had any, it was the chunky that knitted up into a wonderful scarf for the woman who does my hair. She liked it,especially the way the green went very dark, almost black. It was so soft!

Have to travel 45 miles to find buy it in this area.

I like the brown-green/blue combinations that they are using in decorating, etc. I was thinking of a gloves or something in those colors.

Yarn is wonderful!

astonh
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Okay, I've not yet emailed her to tell her that her final clue confirmed which of the three I'd had it narrowed down to was. What is funny is that she was my top choice for who my partner was and I'm SOOO excited that she has me!

To my swap partner who has me: Sorry that I found you out. Please love me anyway.

To everyone else: YIPPEEE!!!! I figured it out before I got found out!!!

HOW? Well, now if I told you how I did it, you might be able to figure out that, I mean if, I'm your swap partner.;)

I'm very excited though about her (I'm holding off on saying her name here just yet in case some of you think she may be your partner instead! HEE HEE) as we share some commonalities beyond just knitting!!

Anyway, I have to run! I need to do some work before my boss questions my worth. LOL.
Everyone have a great day!

mks22300
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I haven't started shopping yet, but will soon. Tomorrow is payday!
I like self-striping and variegated yarns too. :)

Cynamar
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I was knitting last night with a gal who works at that yarn shop where they had the yard sale. She was talking to me when I was looking at the Malabrigo. She thinks the color would look great on me and she's going to see if I can still get it. The gal selling it only used five to make a sweater and I think she had six or seven to sell. If I can I will get it. If I don't fall in love with it I'll let you all know!

jeanius80
06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
malabrigoyarn.com (http://malabrigoyarn.com/)
They also regularly post in the malabrigo junkies (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/malabrigo-junkies) group on ravelry
Hope that helps!

I''l be out town until Monday, with no internet.

Staarrkatt
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
:::looking in my box:::

hmmmmmmmm........ red & black & rainbow ..... and over there .... red & gold ...... and gee, what's that down there? Oops ... .can't tell!

::snickers::

Cynamar
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I have shopped but haven't bought anything yet. I think I have made decisions, though.

Staarrkatt
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I just found the following charts (actually, they were posted on another group I'm in) and thought that they might be of interest to people around here. I'm not sure how to go about sending them to someone for inclusion in permanent reference areas, but thought that our fearless leader would probably know. :)

Childrens' foot size

http://www.theknittersbag.com/foot-length.htm

Adults' foot size

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html#adult

Katt

Foxyie
06-28-2008, 02:57 AM
oh i wonder wonder who this could be for :cool: ..

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/foxyie/100_7347.jpg

Cynamar
06-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Someone who spins?

HollyP
06-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Someone who spins?
:teehee:
Not me! I don't spin.
Got another email from my pal. Apparently she has been reading my blog. I can't wait to find out who you are!!!!!!

Foxyie
06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
nooopes..not for a spinner.. but it will be turned into some handpun yarn for a super swapee!

Staarrkatt
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
nooopes..not for a spinner.. but it will be turned into some handpun yarn for a super swapee!

<sigh> I don't think I'm your swappee .... but oh, what a lucky person she is! I'm only just learning to spin .... I wouldn't even begin to try spinning that beautiful roving .... but oh, I could knit with it! LOL

Katt

HollyP
06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
oooh I can't wait to see the yarn! It will be beautiful!

gargoylelib
06-30-2008, 03:02 AM

I can't wait to see pics of the finished yarn....I'm not a spinner and
I just can't imagine what the yarn will look like! :)

Ok, buddy of mine, here's something else going in your box but just
to keep things interesting...it's not this color!!:wink:
If you're on Ravelry you can look it up...are you on Ravelry,
buddy? hehe...I know....

Libbie

astonh
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Foxyie, that is beautiful roving and I can't wait to see it spun as well! Promise you'll share pix?

Hope everyone is doing well. I can't chat today but wanted to pop in and wish everyone a good Monday! My partner's package is ALMOST finished! hee heee...

tarrentella
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
gargoylelib - i googled that yarn and it looks so soft.

foxie - pretty pretty roving. It is fibre like that which makes me want to learn to spin sometime! can't wait to see how it turns out!

astonh - happy Monday to you too. I can't believe you are almost finished with your package ... makes me feel so slow!

Riss
06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Did anyone else get their Valley Yarns teaser catalogue from WEBS today?

Stuff has been ordered. Beautiful stuff. Orange stuff. *gasp*

The real question is.. whether the stuff will come via email or via post. Hmmm

jeanius80
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm back in town! Looks like you ladies have been busy!

Foxyie- That is a beautiful batt, did you card it? I'm excited to see it all spun up too!

Libbie- that yarn looks so soft!

I am so excited to see all the packages you ladies are putting together!

Foxyie
07-01-2008, 01:40 AM
thanks Staarrkatt, HollyP, gargoylelib, astonh, tarrentella

and yes jeanius i did card it myself.. i splurged and bought a drum carder! eek! i guess i could say it's a really early b-day present :teehee:

you'll be seeing the finished yarn pretty soon..surely by the end of the week..

Staarrkatt
07-01-2008, 05:22 AM
My partner's box is nearly finished, as well. :)

Got a bit more to pick up, but can't do that until next week, when we've got some of that green stuff that the store owners seem to want in return for their goods! <G>

Katt

princessbonniejane
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
My partner's box is almost finished! I have a few more things to do............something with something green..............something with something blue.................Mwahahahaha

JamOKnit
07-01-2008, 12:08 PM
4 days off + holiday weekend = lots of free time to shop for my swappee!
:cheering:
Hoping to get your box sent to you sometime in the next week or so! I've already got some soft luscious goodness for you...and it's PURDY. ;)

robynbird
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
WOW - ya'll are fast! I haven't even started. Better get busy!!