PDA

View Full Version : Insanity over tangled yarn

blueygh2
05-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Aaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Wanted to make a skein out of my hank, and ended up with a huge HUGE tangled thing!!
Because I had that great idea of putting the hank on the bed instead of over a chair,...

Spent over two hours trying to undo that thing, but not very successful... in the end I just broke the yarn and felted it... leaving the rest of the tangled thing out...

I feel slightly insane...

msmelody
05-27-2008, 06:35 AM
You need to send me tangled yarn, I love untangling yarn. It just needs a different type of love.

Mulderknitter
05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
You need to send me tangled yarn, I love untangling yarn. It just needs a different type of love.
How nice of you! I don't have that type of love.

selinechan
05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I spent more than 4 hours the other day trying to untangle this ball that went horribly wrong! I was obsessed...DBF had to make me stop. :wall: :!!!: :gah: Evil little suckers just love to tangle up on me.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't mind untangling yarn either. and when i do mind... well, i have a child who inherited more than a slight bit of OCD from me :)

suzeeq
05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Untangling yarn doesn't bother me either, it's like doing a puzzle. Send all your unloved tangles to me.... :D

Cynamar
05-27-2008, 01:12 PM
My daughter can detangle quickly. I sweet-talk her into it!

jdee
05-27-2008, 01:31 PM
It depends on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I work with tangled yarn, and it doesn't bother me a bit, and other times it just makes me insane. I fine that if it's annoying me too much, it's best if I put it away, and come back to it later, when I'm in a better mood.

blueygh2
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I finally untangled it. But I couldn't have done it while it was still attached to the knitting.

My father used to do that, says his mother.
But this one, the wool somehow fused to make compact knots, so you have to break them, but they form again,... so it's really impossible to untangle without doing that.
I realized about those fused wool things only later today...

Jan in CA
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
If I buy the yarn at the LYS I have THEM wind it into a ball. If I have to do it myself I have someone else hold it usually. I use Amy's center pull ball method, too. :thumbsup:

Crycket
05-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Untangling yarn just takes up time I could be using on knitting...I think that is what frustrates me most about tangled yarn...!

That and I can't rest until the tangles are gone...

I think my ball winder was the best investment I have made in a long time (and that does not prevent ALL tangles) and my swift is just as impaticiant...I mean important (DF is my swift....good investment...just doesn't want to do it for hours and hours...)

jdee
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
If I buy the yarn at the LYS I have THEM wind it into a ball. If I have to do it myself I have someone else hold it usually. I use Amy's center pull ball method, too. :thumbsup:

I have a ball winder, but when I'm knitting, and the ball starts collapsing in on itsself, I reroll it using Amy's method. It's one of the most useful things I've learned.

panchita
05-28-2008, 12:37 AM
I love the center pull ball. It keeps my ball from rolling away. I also love to put my yarn in a zipper bag that has a hole snipped in the corner through which I pull the yarn before I start knitting. It keeps it clean, contained and *mostly* tangle-free.

I don't prefer tangles, so I try my best to avoid them.