PDA

View Full Version : circular needle question

gerryg
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Good morning,
I'm new to this website and am a new knitter. I am making a baby sweater using circular needles...easy pattern..all garter stitches...I read something that if using circular needles I need to knit 1 row and purl the next row all through the sweater vs just knitting each row. Can anyone help me?

gg

Plantgoddess+
05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
If you are knitting in the round that would be correct. If you are knitting flat or back and forth you would knit every row.

gerryg
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you Plantgoddess+ for the reply.what do you mean by" back and forth? This is all new tome was I wrong in chosing a round needle?

candicane
05-27-2008, 10:41 AM
What does your pattern say? If the sweater is worked flat in pieces (knit the back, then the front, then the sleeves), then you will be working back and forth (not in the round). You are probably using a circular needle because you would have too many sts for straight needles.

If your pattern starts out with CO x number of sts, JOIN for working in the round, then you will need to alternate knit and purl rows for garter stitch.

Are you working on a free pattern? If so, you can provide a link (or at least the name) for further clarification. You have come to the right place for help!

candice

gerryg
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
What does your pattern say? If the sweater is worked flat in pieces (knit the back, then the front, then the sleeves), then you will be working back and forth (not in the round). You are probably using a circular needle because you would have too many sts for straight needles.

If your pattern starts out with CO x number of sts, JOIN for working in the round, then you will need to alternate knit and purl rows for garter stitch.

Are you working on a free pattern? If so, you can provide a link (or at least the name) for further clarification. You have come to the right place for help!

candice
thank you Candice..the pattern is for a baby sweater with all garter stitches throughout... it called for size 8 straight needles but I have circular needles home. I didn't know if I just knit every row or had to alternate rows with knit/purl.. It is a free pattern
Lovingly hand knit this sweet sweater with a single-button closure for a new arrival. Knit in four pieces entirely in garter stitch. A great beginner project!
• Sizes 18(20,22)"; 0-3(6-9,12-18) months
• Yarn: Jeannee
#11, #15, or #18 3(4,5) balls
• Needles: #7 straight or circular

suzeeq
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM
You would knit this sweater in flat pieces just as if you were knitting it on straight needles. So knit every row.

gerryg
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
You would knit this sweater in flat pieces just as if you were knitting it on straight needles. So knit every row.
THANK YOU SUZEEQ....I APPRECIATE IT.