PDA

View Full Version : I'm lonely *sigh*

JessicaR
05-28-2008, 05:45 PM
It really bites sometimes not having people out here who like the same things I do. And it's also hard to get motivated to do something when you're really the only one that's going to notice or appreciate it. :pout:

auburnchick
05-28-2008, 06:38 PM
:hug:

Knit4Fun
05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Awww...I can relate - I feel that way sometimes too. But look at what you've accomplished...your weight loss alone is a HUGE accomplishment that you should be proud of - for you and no one else! I'm sure there are tons of good things in your life - focus on doing what you love and you will meet other people through that - like knitting.

When I get down, I pray and think of 10 things I am grateful for right now...sometimes it is lofty things and other days, it is as simple as peanut butter. :teehee:

And hey...there's always us! :muah:

Wanda Witch
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
:hug: Awww...I can relate - I feel that way sometimes too. But look at what you've accomplished...your weight loss alone is a HUGE accomplishment that you should be proud of - for you and no one else! I'm sure there are tons of good things in your life - focus on doing what you love and you will meet other people through that - like knitting.

When I get down, I pray and think of 10 things I am grateful for right now...sometimes it is lofty things and other days, it is as simple as peanut butter. :teehee:

And hey...there's always us! :muah:

Very well said. And Jessica, you should be sooo proud of your accomplishments. :muah:

JessicaR
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
This time of year I love gardening but really haven't gotten into it that much since we moved. My mother in law and I used to hit all the greenhouses, plan layouts, trade plants, ect. I went and got 360 bricks for this crazy idea for my perennial garden and I just got to thinking how much I wish I had someone here that was into gardening that I could bounce ideas off of. You know?

scout52
05-28-2008, 09:50 PM
:hug: :hug:

saracidaltendencies
05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
:hug: I know how ya feel.

Rabbitrescuer
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
:grphug: We're here for you
And :thumbsup: on the wight loss

CountryKitty
05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
:grphug: I often feel the same way...DH and I have some very different ideas on how the yard ought to look. Usually when I come up with an idea he dislikes the idea and is rather discouraging. (But he does admit when my ideas turn out well.) And we have few close neighbors or nearby friends who are into the same things I am. That's why I visit several forums, like this one.

Just keep plugging away. People do notice, even if they don't always say so.:hug:

What're your ideas with the bricks?
(While at the home of Andrew Jackson, in Nashville, I noticed the beds in the flower garden were edged with thin bricks that were standing upright, but only sticking up out of the ground some 3". Peter Fossel, the head gardener and a buddy from organicgardening.com's forums, said they were 8" long and that they kept moles out since they only tunnel at the surface--those 5" of brick kept them at bay.)

I'm using up a lot of native stone here--it's everywhere! I rolled some very heavy ones across the yard to the end of a staggered double row of young cedar trees I planted as a bird-friendly living privacy fence. I built a small square column from them just as a decoration (2.5' high, 18" across)--I was very careful to make sure each piece was supported evenly by the ones beneath it, and topped the whole thing with one large flat 18"x18" stone. It's sturdy enough I can stand on it with just the tiniest wobble (couple millimeters of give).
I had mulched under the whole row with a layer of cardboard from the dollar store dumpster and wood chips from the electric companies tree trimming truck--I stuck several large irregularly shaped chunks of limestone in the mulch, and embedded large pieces of driftwood that had been left in the yard last time the creek jumped the banks to make it look like a proper woodland scene. Even found a few moss and lichen covered stones to tuck into the most shaded areas to give an air of age to the whole scene, even if the trees are still under 12'. (I've already found a nest in one tree, and last year there was a young bluebird puttering around on the mulch--he was unsteady enough on his wings that when walked by, he hid under one of the trees:mrgreen: ).

And I think losing 40+ pounds is awesome! :thumbsup: Losing weight is very hard--it involves more than most folks realize...changing how you eat, what you do to burn calories----you ROCK!:cheering:

PurlyGyrl
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm right there with you Sista! Sometimes I feel like I should just have "FREAK" tatooed to my forehead :teehee: As I have gotten older, I have grown to embrace my "differences".
BTW--:yay: YOU LOOK FREAKIN' FABULOUS!!!:woohoo: Congratulations on the weight loss:hug:

Knit4Fun
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
This time of year I love gardening but really haven't gotten into it that much since we moved. My mother in law and I used to hit all the greenhouses, plan layouts, trade plants, ect. I went and got 360 bricks for this crazy idea for my perennial garden and I just got to thinking how much I wish I had someone here that was into gardening that I could bounce ideas off of. You know?

Well, if you are inclined, I LOVE flowers and gardening - it's my passion this time of year - and I'd love to hear your ideas for your garden and what's with all those bricks! Feel free to PM me or reply through here...

BTW, I really can relate to you. I lived in the Midwest (MN and WI) for a long time and moved out here to Virginia after school because my parents had moved here from MN. Well, sadly, my Mom died in 2001 and after I married in 2004, Dad moved back to MN and since has gotten re-married. Now, don't get me wrong at all...I couldn't love Dad's wife and daughters more - it isn't that at all...but now I don't have family out here and it was only because it made Dad so happy that I was able to 'let go' somewhat and not fight this move. It is hard sometimes because he is busy doing things with and for my step-sisters who are my age and I do admit to some jealousy there...but it is tough because not only is all that going on, but my two best friends live in WI and it is SO hard to stay in good touch even with email and calling since we are all busy. I wish so much we could just sit down for a cup of tea or I could show them all my yummy yarn :mrgreen: , but they aren't here. And sometimes making new friends seems like so much 'work', doesn't it? That's how I sometimes feel, anyway.

So anyway...I've rambled quite enough - there's a bit about me...I hope you see that you aren't alone - it's tough being away from those you care about and feeling lonely...but you aren't alone - we are here for you and that's a great start! :yay:

Shewhoknits
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey, a woman just emailed me to see if I would be an email gardening buddie. Now we chat on line about our gardens etc. Although she is much better than I, and does way more things it is still fun.

As far as the weight, I only wish I was as far along as you. I am done 8 lbs and have a long ways to go.

Congrats on your success!:woot:

JessicaR
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks all. I really wish I felt better about the weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy, but it's not like I've really been busting my butt to do it. I don't count calories or make it a point to work out. I don't know what I've been doing really :???:

We've owned this house for 2 years coming up in July, lived here for 3. I've been wanting to get rid of all these bushes that surround the house and garage. They are arborvitaes *I believe* First idea was to pull them out with our 1.5 ton truck. Well, it's just a little bush but it snapped the tow rope! So now I've been lopping off branches and think I'm going to just saw off the trunk. I tried digging up the trunk yesterday but the only thing I got out of that was a sore back :doh: Must buy a chain saw...

So, I think I plan to put some hostas in the front, of maybe those huge fern things. My perennial garden is on the side of the house, it's a tilled up 12x12 square. I was thinking of building like a multi leveled raised bed with a path thru it. Curvy, not straight lines. Then, in the front as well is a huge circle where we had a huge tree removed last year. I planted my veggies there last year, but it's really an eyesore. So, I need to figure out what to do with that as well.

Plantgoddess+
05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
As you can see a lot of us are here for the companionship as well as the knowledge. As you can tell by my name I also am a gardener. I had a perennial nursery for about 12 years and have about 2 acres of yard and buildings. I even have perennial beds alongside my horse barn.
I have learned to enjoy my own company as my husband doesn't like any of the things I do and we live in the country and don't have a lot of close neighbors.

Knit4Fun
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks all. I really wish I felt better about the weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy, but it's not like I've really been busting my butt to do it. I don't count calories or make it a point to work out. I don't know what I've been doing really :???:

We've owned this house for 2 years coming up in July, lived here for 3. I've been wanting to get rid of all these bushes that surround the house and garage. They are arborvitaes *I believe* First idea was to pull them out with our 1.5 ton truck. Well, it's just a little bush but it snapped the tow rope! So now I've been lopping off branches and think I'm going to just saw off the trunk. I tried digging up the trunk yesterday but the only thing I got out of that was a sore back :doh: Must buy a chain saw...

So, I think I plan to put some hostas in the front, of maybe those huge fern things. My perennial garden is on the side of the house, it's a tilled up 12x12 square. I was thinking of building like a multi leveled raised bed with a path thru it. Curvy, not straight lines. Then, in the front as well is a huge circle where we had a huge tree removed last year. I planted my veggies there last year, but it's really an eyesore. So, I need to figure out what to do with that as well.

That's even more impressive if you've been able to lose weight without that dreaded 'I've been at this forever and am so hungry I can't see straight' feeling! :thumbsup:

I don't envy you for having to remove the bushes...I will say that the former owners of our home did that without removing the roots and now we have all these stupid shoots to contend with!

Hostas are fantastic...unless you have deer in which case you must not get attached to the lovely flowers or leaves since they are a deer delicacy! The variegated varieties are gorgeous though. Make sure you know what critters call your yard a buffet before planting new stuff - we've got tons of stuff that won't make it here due to deer and rabbits.

I think your perennial garden with a path idea sounds wonderful! And maybe for the huge circle, you could put either a pretty birdbath or tall planter and then smaller plantings around it? Just a thought to springboard from.

You've got some great ideas...can't wait to see how it all turns out!
:cheering:

Belphoebe
05-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Jessica, sorry to hear that you are lonely in Iowa. I grew up in Lake View...west central part of the state, so I understand how it goes. Just remember that we are here for each other, even if most of the people where you are right now don't. :aww:

JessicaR
05-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Slightly OT but still pertaining to weight loss, I have given up on the idea that I'm ever going to be warm again. I am always freezing now! 5 minutes after sitting down I'm shivering, maybe it helps me to keep moving? You should see the office chair in here, I have a comforter that I wrap around me, a heating pad on my back, and a fleece throw over my lap! :teehee:

Cynamar
05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, I can really relate! Julianne's dad has never taken her on weekends and I've only been comfortable leaving her alone in the evenings for a year or so but now I've lost touch with everyone I ever did anything with. I'm excited at the prospect of getting involved in the knitting community here in St. Louis (went to my first Knit Night Wednesday but it was cancelled for Stitch N Pitch) but I've found that one of the ringleaders of all of the activities is a chick who banned me from a mommy board a year ago and made everyone else mad at me. I just hope she isn't saying anything that will keep anyone else from getting to know me before they decide whether they like me.

lelvsdgs
05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
It really bites sometimes not having people out here who like the same things I do. And it's also hard to get motivated to do something when you're really the only one that's going to notice or appreciate it. :pout:
I feel your pain... just moved my daughter (and constant crafting companion) 400 miles away. She took the cat so now there's really no one to talk to... Hopefully things will get better for you...
ETA and noone to encourage my yarn spending...