PDA

View Full Version : Pssst... Coming soon to KH: Member contributed Videos!

amy
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Sheldon is working on a HUGE new feature for Knittinghelp: An area of the site where members like yourselves can upload your own videos! Basically, a little "YouTube" here on KH.

I am SO excited by this idea. This will allow us to expand our knitting topics and tutorials with Member Know-How! :woohoo:

If shooting a video sounds fun to you, consider shooting one to have ready when we launch this section! Maybe you have your own way of doing something that you'd love to share ...Or you have an idea for an unusual topic... Or you've been around here long enough to become tired of explaining a number of truly essential topics that are long over-due on this site-- Gauge :?? . Heck, we could use some crochet videos while you're at it! And other crafty topics! Don't worry about covering a topic someone else is doing. My dream is to have at least a few videos on any major topic...it's all helpful.

Does shooting a video sound intimidating? Trust me, it's not that hard. My very first knitting videos are right here on this site, so you can put your first videos up here with mine. Here's my #1 secret tip for making knitting videos: put your camera on a tripod, and wrap your arms around the tripod! Tilt the camera down, and you've got a great close up on your hands. That's all I do! If you don't have a tripod, have someone hold the camera steady and zoom in over your shoulder.

We're still thinking of what to call this incredible new video section. KnitTube? Knitflix? Let us know if any other name inspirations come to mind, we're seriously considering all suggestions!
:cheering:

feministmama
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Amy!!! Just another to say I :heart: this place! :muah:

Karina
05-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea. can't wait to see what people come up with. Have no great inspirational idea for a name but like knitflix.

LovelyLinda
05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I think that's a fantastic idea for those of us who are more visual in our learning. Sometimes things click better when I can see them.

:clink:

iza
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Here's my #1 secret tip for making knitting videos: put your camera on a tripod, and wrap your arms around the tripod! Tilt the camera down, and you've got a great close up on your hands. That's all I do!

How smart, Amy! :thumbsup: I would never have thought of this! :teehee:

I can't wait to see the new videos! What an awesome idea! :happydance:

Pat in Ca
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Fantastic idea... I can't wait!! ....

Mike
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Cool.
I was thinking about trying to make a 2 socks at a time DPN video. I guess I'll have to find out how and if that feature on my camera works and how much time I can fit on a 1GB card (or get a 4GB card).

put your camera on a tripod, and wrap your arms around the tripod!
I wondered how you did that.
I guess that means the giant VHS camera and a digitizer is out of the question :)
(That's OK, that camera is broken most of the time and hasn't been replaced with a digital video camera yet.)

I like Knitflix. I can't even think of the mail DVD place since I read that.

mwhite
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds wonderful!!! Needle & Hook Flix

auburnchick
05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I just LOVE the way y'all are constantly working to keep this site up to date with the latest and greatest! Thank you!!! :muah:

P.S. I vote for KnitFlix as well. Very clever, my dear! :thumbsup:

SBG
05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
This is REALLY exciting! I love the videos-I think I've watched every one, and without them I doubt I'd still be knitting. I never would've gotten past that first little garter stitch swatch I did when I was learning. I can't wait to see more!

I love KnitFlix! Very cute!

mwhite
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I like Knitflix, too but it doesn't include crocheting so...... StitchFlix maybe???

Jacy
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Excellent Idea! A video is worth a million words ;)

astonh
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
TOTALLY COOL! If it were not for the videos on this site that I watch repeatedly, I'd not be knitting! The more visual instruction for me, the better.

THANK YOU KH! You love us SO MUCH!

MAmaDawn
05-29-2008, 03:19 PM
This is GREAT! I like stitchflix and knitflix

MaryB
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks to you and Sheldon for a GREAT website.:hug:

I vote for KnitFlix, has a nice ring to it!:thumbsup:

losnana
05-29-2008, 05:25 PM
What a great idea. I watch your video on Kitchener stitch every single time I finish a pair of socks. I guess I'll never memorize the way to do it, because you made it so easy to watch!

McKnitty
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Awesome! I am a visual learner so I prefer to watch a video rather than try to read directions. May we put in requests? I would love to see 2 socks on 1 circular needle. I have the book but I can't find a video to watch.

Ronda
05-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Very cool idea!
I like Knitflix! :)

Howdovely
05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Wow, awesome idea. Your videos helped me to learn to knit 2.5 years ago, and I STILL learn from them. How great to see other ideas too.

I like KnitTube. But anything that's chosen will be awesome!

gingerbread
05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
oh I agree with everyone this is the best site.:heart::heart::heart:
I love it love it. Keep the great ideas coming Amy and Sheldon.
Now lets get going everyone and put up some great how to's.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:waving:

LovelyLinda
05-30-2008, 08:15 AM
I vote for knitflix.

KnittinMitchie
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Since the launch of Knit Chat I think I've answered SO many questions that I wish I had a video for. This is an AWSOME idea. So many people find DPNs intimidating along with socks. I'm a magic loop knitter and I think that would make a good video.

I may have to go play with my video camera.

Sunshine's Mom
05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
I like Knitflix, too! Great idea and I can't wait to view the new videos.

My request is for someone to please, please, please show the following row after having done yarn-overs on the previous row so I can FINALLY see how it's supposed to be done and what I'm doing wrong. I would love you for all eternity! :notworthy:

suzeeq
05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
In the meantime....

Just knit (or purl) into the YOs just like any other stitch, they're just looser is all. Try a practice piece, CO about 12 sts, work a couple rows, then add about 3 YOs to the next row and work into them. If you're wrapping your YOs the opposite way though, that may make them harder to knit into on the next row.

The.Knitter
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Yarnflix would cover knit, crochet and anything else made with yarn. Great great idea! Thanks once again for all YOU TWO do for US!!

sheldon
05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
It's great to see everyone excited about the new member-contributed video section. The member-contributed video area of the web site will be quite similar to YouTube. The videos you upload will be attributed to your forum username. The videos will be organized by categories, tags, and members. Members can rate, comment, and add videos to their favorites list. They can also subscribe to a member's channel to be notified of when a member posts new videos. I think it will foster a whole new level of community and learning here at KH.

Eventually we'd like to integrate the videos into the rest of the site so members videos that are related to Amy's KH videos will only be a click away. Some people learn differently, so it's useful to have different takes of the same knitting concepts.

I see people already have specific video requests. So I think it would be wise to have a requests page where members can request videos be made on certain topics.

This is very exciting. I am hoping I can finish this up in the next month or so. It's been a long project!

- Sheldon

Jan in CA
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I think KNITFLIX is a great name! Since this is generally a knitting site I think it's more appropriate and it can have a crochet section just like the forum. :thumbsup:

Howdovely
05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Ok, NOW I love YarnTube (similar to YouTube, but for all things yarn)
And also love KnitFlix (similar to netflix, but all things knitting)

But again, will love whatever you call it.

suzeeq
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Oooooh yes! YarnTube. That would be great and encompass all yarny crafts.

saracidaltendencies
05-31-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh wow, how awesome! I can't wait to see it when it's completed!

Viridian
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, this is an awesome idea! So many times, I've either been in or had conversations about how to do something and someone (or myself) does it waaaay differently and it's so hard to explain how it's done. Not that I have a video camera, but I'd love to see other videos on how to do stuff. I'd offer to do some crochet videos, too, but again, I just have a digital camera.

KnitFlix is my favorite. Too many companies use -tube, and I like how it's almost a play on words of Knit Picks. :)

Braden
06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I like the idea of 'Knitflix' myself. This sounds like a great idea.

marlajap
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I vote for Yarnflix, as that leaves an opening for not only knit and crochet videos, but also spinning, hand-dye and hand-paint, etc. What ever the name winds up to be, it's a fabulous idea! :cheering:

KathleenG
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for sharing a great idea!! Can't wait to see 'em!!

Kathleen

Knit4Fun
06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Amy and Sheldon,

Thank you SO much for all the time and effort and love you've put into this site. It is an invaluable resource and provides so much inspiration and support. You two are amazing - thanks for continuing to upgrade and add to the site! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I vote for KnitFlix as well - love it!

Mike
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
How big is too big for file size?
I don't know if my camera will make them small enough because I can't seem to shut off the sound. 50MB is pretty short.

Tutu Carol
06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
ditto ditto ditto ! Fantastic !

sheldon
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
How big is too big for file size?
I don't know if my camera will make them small enough because I can't seem to shut off the sound. 50MB is pretty short.

It's not set in stone, but most likely the file you upload will need to be under 150MB. You'll want to edit and downsample the video before uploading and not upload raw video footage. Raw DV camera footage is enormous.

Our server will handle compressing it into the format that the site will use. 125MB should be good enough for about 15+ minutes of video. I believe most of Amy's videos are under 5 minutes in length, with the occasional 10 minute video here and there.

Sheldon

Karina
06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I really like the idea that marlajap had of doing videos of spinning, dying etc as well as knitting and crochet.

sheldon
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I really like the idea that marlajap had of doing videos of spinning, dying etc as well as knitting and crochet.

There will be categories for other topics such as spinning, crochet, and even misc videos just for fun. I think we are going to go with KnitFlix since the primary focus of KnittingHelp.com is knitting and it works with our existing brand. It also rolls of the tongue very nicely. But just like the KH forums, there will be plenty of room to expand into other realms regardless of the chosen name.

Sheldon

knitpurlgurl
06-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I just love this idea!! I can watch these videos at home with the kidlets.. Most of my LYS hold classes during the day.. I can't take the kidlets with me to classes - so being able to watch a member's video on beginning crochet would be fabulous!!

threesmom
06-13-2008, 11:17 AM
What a great idea! I personally would love to see spinning and dyeing videos, and some of those basic crochet stitches to use for edging. Maybe even as a little help with some tricky lace knit-a-long or something? And I really love how this opens it up to share what we know with the community in ways we haven't been able to up to now - great thinking!

psquidy
06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Great idea! I like Knitflix

Mike
06-13-2008, 02:09 PM
It's not set in stone, but most likely the file you upload will need to be under 150MB. You'll want to edit and downsample the video before uploading and not upload raw video footage. Raw DV camera footage is enormous.

It's been forever since I had a capture device hooked up for my VHS camera.
I kind of remember doing stuff like that. I don't think I have new software installed for the camera because I'm still on W98.
I might be out of luck.

Crafty_Mel
06-14-2008, 06:15 AM
I really like this Idea!!!:woohoo:

As for what to call it I really like knitflix but if there will be crochet too how about FiberFLix ?

mathwizard
06-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Amy, I think I will give it a try for the crocheter!!!

gingerbread
06-14-2008, 03:48 PM
All in All Amy and Sheldon always come up with great Ideas for our family of KHer's

:waving:

catcook
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
What a great idea! I just can't say enough how grateful I am to this site for opening a whole new knitting world to me. If it wasn't for amy's videos I would never have started or continued to knit! :hug: I can't wait to see what others bring, now for myself I could show anyone how NOT to do something! :teehee:
>^,,^<

G J
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
What a FANTASTIC idea! I learned MANY knitting techniques here on KH, and then when my hands and arms started giving me problems, I learned Portuguese Knitting on YouTube. I still want to find out how to do other stuff with that type of knitting, and this would be a great forum for that!

Thanks, Sheldon and Amy, for all you do!:hug::heart::hug:

knitaddict06
06-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I think that's a fantastic idea for those of us who are more visual in our learning. Sometimes things click better when I can see them.

:clink:
I love this idea, too! I probably wouldn't have ripped out my 28 rows of knitting last weekend if I had been able to see someone demonstrating the pattern! LOL