PDA

View Full Version : Fingerless Glove sizing help?

fireflyknitter
05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I've been hesitating to cast on for a pair of fingerless gloves (this pattern (http://snailspirals.blogspot.com/2007/12/basic-fingerless-mitts.html)) because the only size given is for a women's medium, and they would be for my hubby who has what I think is a men's medium size hands. I want to make them in worsted weight instead of DK, and go up a needle size from a 5 to a 6, but I'm still worried that they would be too small, especially around the thumb and wrist.

Can anyone advise? Should I increase the cast on amount? Is there another veeerrry basic fingerless gloves pattern, maybe with other sizes listed? (he is very picky-- we went through pretty much all of the ravelry listings looking for him... NO cables, NO decorative stitches, can't be too long...etc! ;) )

suzeeq
05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
If you're going to use worsted weight anyway, go up to a size 8 or 9. Measure around his wrist and hand and see if the sts/inch in the larger needles and yarn will match the measurement. They should be a bit snug, but not tight. If that's too small, go up to a size 10, or add sts in increments of 6 (to make the k4, p2 rib work out right).

Phretys
05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Another simple fingerless mitts pattern you can look at is at Ravelry here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/everybodys-squooshy-mitts

My favorite thing about this pattern is that the thumbs are knit first, then the mitts are knit top down. When you get down to the thumb gusset you just pick up the thumbs and keep knitting. It's a simple ribbed mitt and the pattern gives both men's and women's sizes.

Mirl56
05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
And don't forget to look beyond the pattern's length (if you decide to use a different pattern). Just because the photo of the FO is 8" long below the thumb doesn't mean you have to make them that long, especially if everything else about the pattern is exactly what he wants.

fireflyknitter
05-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! You make a good point, Mirl56-- I mostly listed the "not too long" requirement because I wanted originally to make Dashing for him but I'm not experienced enough to shorten the length because of the cables, which according to hubby were also not what he wanted. Picky, picky!

Phretys, I think I'm going to use the pattern you listed --I really don't think he'll know the difference unless I tell him! :shifty: