PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my hair out

knitncook
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I've had to take this stupid sock out THREE times already. First it was the heel and now the wonderful honeycomb. Oh yeah, what am I making? LOL! It's the lovely honeycomb socks from Interweave Knits. They were going along all dandy until I got to the heel. The math just wasn't working for me so I ripped the heel out and did them the way I know better. Then everything was dandy. Added the extra stitches and it all came out just right. But now I've ripped the honeycombs out twice. I keep getting 1 set of 3 off. I'm about to go put in stupid stitch markers every 6 stitches just to keep myself even (that is going to be a lot of stitch markers LOL!) Why can't I count to 6? UGH! I'm tired of ripping this out and I want to move on to a different sock!

Plantgoddess+
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
It might be time to put that down for a few days and work on something else. A break may make it easier to remember how to count to 6. Sorry couldn't resist, but you do have my sympathy and I know you'll get through it.

Spokaloo
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Take a deep breath.... ahhh. ;) Feel better now getting that off your chest? Good!

When you change a pattern, you will often find it difficult to get things to gel again. Just keep working at it and sooner or later it will either work out or you'll find another way around it. Just don't give up!:hug:

Rosemary
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Just put it aside for a little while and don't feel bad about not being able to count to 6. The other day I had trouble counting to 2!

Lisa R.
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I had an issue with a sock pattern like that...kept messing up in the first couple of round of the pattern. I set it aside and was seriously contemplating frogging the entire thing and doing something easier, on the grounds that knitting is supposed to be fun and this wasn't.

But before frogging, I decided to give it one more try about 2 weeks after setting it aside....suddenly it worked fine and I am thrilled with the socks now that they're completed.

All that to say...it's okay if you want to give up and move to another pattern--after all it IS supposed to be fun. But if you set it aside, it may come easier the next time around.

SBG
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
This is one reason why I always have at least 3 projects going at all times. :)

knitncook
05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone. It's aggrevating when you think you've been counting and switching like you are supposed to and you get to the next round and it's not right! I love these socks and they are for my dd so I'm afraid setting them down and leaving them means they become UFO's. :) I did manage to get the first round of the honeycombs done again last night and they *look* right, but I won't really know until I do the next set of honeycombs (in 3 more rounds). I hate when I get to a stumbling block on a pattern that *isn't hard*! :-D

Arielluria
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
This is one reason why I always have at least 3 projects going at all times. :)Me too! Always a super easy nothing but knit in the round or garter stitch :). Sometimes your brain just gets fried with those stitch patterns and you need to relax with a simpler one. I agree, put it down and come back to it when you feel you can beat it! :teehee:

tokmom
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I applaud you with sticking with it. :cheering: How frustrating though. Good luck and I hope it's smooth sailing after this.

SBG
06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Me too! Always a super easy nothing but knit in the round or garter stitch :). Sometimes your brain just gets fried with those stitch patterns and you need to relax with a simpler one. I agree, put it down and come back to it when you feel you can beat it! :teehee:

Right now my no-brainer project is the Two Weeknights with Warrick scarf. My usual favorite zen pattern is this waffle weave dishcloth:

http://homespunliving.blogspot.com/2007/11/waffle-knit-dishcloth-pattern.html

I love it. I get bored with straight garter but the pattern is really easy to remember so I can do it without much thought. And it comes out really pretty.

rachejm
06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
You'll work it out. I think I would put it aside, if only for a day or so and work on a dishcloth or something to destress. Well done for sticking with it though - I would've given up long before now.

I've gone back to my Dark Mark Illusion scarf for my easy project, I'm on the middle bit with no chart to follow so its a case of just remembering to change colours every two rows (which is why I put it down in the first place - kinda boring after a while). My brain just couldn't cope with River Rapids socks after 3 hours reading my psychology text book. Its annoying as I now have only two weeks to finish them and haven't even done the first sock - I told my friend she may not get them quite in time for her bday, she didn't seem to mind waiting a little longer for them.