PDA

View Full Version : My First Toe-up Sock

Wildfire
06-01-2008, 04:21 AM
So my significant other has been begging me for a pair of socks along with a variety of other things since I began knitting and well, I've been working on his socks, because they are the smallest project out of the bunch. :aww:

I used to only make socks from the cuff down and only recently tried the toe-up method which I am loving to death since I can try the sock on as it's being made and make modifications from there. I am using the sock pattern from Kim Salazar on http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatksox and I simply cannot understand where to begin the heel of the sock.

My fiance's foot is about 11 inches long and I cannot very well stop knitting his sock at the 6.75inches the pattern calls for as it rests somewhere in the middle of his foot. Is there a general rule for how many inches you should start heels on toe-ups from the back of the heel? Or just in general? Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Mirl56
06-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Is his foot availalbe for trying on?

The pattern says: " ...For my women's size 10 feet I knit until my sock foot measures 6.75 inches (approx. 16.25cm) from the tip of the toe. People less (or more) endowed in the foot department should knit until the growing foot, when tried on, is long enough to generously reach to the point where their ankle meets their foot. The sock foot should not be tightly stretched when measuring." The 2nd sentence should help.

Wildfire
06-03-2008, 04:14 AM
My only question would be for all the sock knitters out there:

Where does the ankle meet the heel/foot? Is it on the part of the foot that touches the ground or is that space right above that area? Sorry for the silly questions, I just want to get the socks right for him and they are my second real adult socks.... My first pair was a cuff-down version so I'm a little confused here =P

Thanks for your help!

Zebragirlnz
06-03-2008, 04:42 AM
I measure on top of the foot up to the bend (where the foot meets the leg) and then I start the heel.

Good luck with the socks, show us a pic when you have finished!:)