PDA

View Full Version : How much does 56oz of yarn cost?

klamsc
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
For my mother's birthday, I am attempting to make her an afghan for our living room, but I don't know if I'll be able to because of the amount of yarn it will take.

The pattern says I need 56oz of yarn, but the only place I've ever gotten yarn from is Michaels at ~$5/3.5oz skein, so:

56oz/3.5oz=16 skeins x $5 each= ~$80, which is way over my budget.

So my question is: Is there a cheaper method of buying large amounts of yarn (such as the internet or another store I could visit) or am I just going to have to wait until I can afford to buy yarn from Michaels?

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but this is the only way I know how to explain it.

suzeeq
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Have you looked into the larger supersaver, pounder skeins of yarn? They're acrylic and I don't know if that's the yarn you're looking at, but are about $5 for 16 oz, so you'd only need 4 skeins. The type of yarn you're thinking of would be helpful as there are online stores that sell only acrylics, or only wools and other fibers. You could get the 40% off coupons for Michaels and buy one every week (or more, if you get multiple coupons.)

klamsc
06-01-2008, 03:03 PM
The type of yarn you're thinking of would be helpful as there are online stores that sell only acrylics, or only wools and other fibers.

Even though acrylic is cheaper, I'm trying to avoid it because my mom likes to use afghans as blankets and I want a softer yarn than acrylic. I also don't want cotton, because I dislike the feel of 100% cotton yarn, and it's finished texture. So, I just want some thing out of whatever yarns/blends are left.

Jan in CA
06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Even though acrylic is cheaper, I'm trying to avoid it because my mom likes to use afghans as blankets and I want a softer yarn than acrylic.

There are some really, really soft acrylics now. However, yarn for an afghan is going to run up the bill even for less expensive yarns.

This site has appx amounts of yarns you'd need for a lot of projects. An afghan in worsted weight is over 2600 yards. This is all dependent and the pattern stitch you choose, too.
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm

If you can buy online, here are some sites that have less expensive yarn.
http://www.discountyarnsale.com/cat_yarn1.cfm

Caron Simply Soft are usually 6oz skeins (worsted weight) and they are very, very soft. Four bags would give you 72 oz and it would be $32 before shipping. Check the other choices at the link above, too.

http://www.discountyarnsale.com/pd_caron_simply_soft.cfm

suzeeq
06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Cotton yarns, such as sugar and cream, do feel a bit rough when being knit up, but with handling and washing, they soften up quite a bit. You could try a cotton blend, they're much softer, and as Jan points out, there's a lot of soft acrylics now, though they're usually in the 3.5 oz skein and would run about $3-5 each.

cam90066
06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Caron's Pound is a VERY soft, slightly heavy, worsted that's often on sale for around $5. You'd have to buy four skeins to get the amt you need and that run you about $20+. I make afghans for a local convalescent home with the CP and it's not only very soft but washes and dries well in the machine and has a nice fluid drape.

What weight of yarn are you looking to sub? Don't be so quick to dismiss entire fiber types based on the name or your experience with one yarn. The selection now, in all fibers and blends, is very extensive.

cam

KnittinMitchie
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree with everyone else go with the Caron Pounder or the Caron Simply Soft.

klamsc
06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Where could I get this Caron's Pound? I've just looked for some Simply Soft online, but there seems to be a limited color choice, so this pound idea is sounding very appealing.

Jen17
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
They have it at Micheals, and as Sue said, you can use the 40% coupon that your local newspaper usually has in it's weekend editions. If it doesn't, you can sign up at Micheal online for it.
I usually do not use acrylics, but I have made what I call "car seat blankets" for 3 of my grandchildren and they loved them, because they are so soft...so did mom, because they are washable.
Jen

cam90066
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Where could I get this Caron's Pound?

Joann's has it both online and in their brick and mortar. Knitting-warehouse.com carries it and you can also purchase any Caron yarns via their website.

cam

Mike
06-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I crochet 8x8 blankets for my waterbed and the majority are Red Heart Super Saver. After being washed a couple times even the tightest stitches soften up.

I have one wool blend blanket that is softer without having been washed, but even on a 99 sale it ended up costing $50. And part of it's softness is that it's a bulky yarn that used a much larger hook.

of troy
06-02-2008, 11:25 AM
1--there are soft acrylics.. (and they are generally cheaper)

2--cotton is much heavier than wool, and if you need 56 oz of wool, you might need 100 oz of cotton to get the same yardage(that is 6+ pounds--a heavy blanket!)

3--there are any number of outlets that sell wool and wool blends on cones.. great if you plan a solid colored afghan.

4--for a multi color project, sign up on line for ACMoore/Micheal's/other chains in your area. and print out coupons and hit the store 2 or more times in week to get single skeins (one or 2 at a time with 40% off coupons, or 25% whole order, or ....)

Jan in CA
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Joann carries just about every color of yarn in the SS.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2843&PRODID=prd23209

Lisa R.
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Caron's Pound is a VERY soft, slightly heavy, worsted that's often on sale for around $5. You'd have to buy four skeins to get the amt you need and that run you about $20+. I make afghans for a local convalescent home with the CP and it's not only very soft but washes and dries well in the machine and has a nice fluid drape.

What weight of yarn are you looking to sub? Don't be so quick to dismiss entire fiber types based on the name or your experience with one yarn. The selection now, in all fibers and blends, is very extensive.

cam

Do you have a particular pattern you use? I want to make a couple of afghans for a particular charity use, and am struggling to figure out how to reasonably afford it, myself! I could swing $20!

lelvsdgs
06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with many of the folks on here already, the Simply Soft is great for blankets! And the 6 oz size makes it even cheaper. I think it's only about $2.99 or $3.29 at the Micheal's here.

What a great daughter you are to make your mom such a nice gift!