PDA

View Full Version : Need a pattern for a very new beginnner

Duessa
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello all!

I'm just starting knitting and have very low funds to buy anything. I have two sets of needles 8 and 6. I don't have much yarn but I can go get that. I really want to make myself a poncho. The only patterns I have found that I like (simple with the yarn being the decoration, not a pattern) are used on VERY large needles that I really can't afford right now. Does anyone out there have a very simple pattern for a poncho that i could make? It would be my first project! Thanks so much in advance. This site is wonderful.

suzeeq
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Have you checked thrift stores for needles? Sometimes you can find them there, as well as yarn. The free patterns at thedailyknitter.com show the needle size needed; just select the category ponchos would be in and take a look at the patterns.

Jen17
06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/ponchos.php

go to this site there is alot of poncho patterns!

Duessa
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I don't really know if there are any of those kind of stores here. I live in a very small college town. IN fact we got an award for being the lowest cost of living college town in the country. lol anyway, the only places to buy yarn are walmart and meijer and I'm not sure where to find a thrift store here. lol thanks though. I'm going to put in the request with my bf for more knitting needles. lol He works and I go to school so he will get a kick out of that. He will want me to use the other ones first. lol men

suzeeq
06-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Look in the Yellow pages under Thrift stores or Second Hand stores. Churches usually run some, or there's some that benefit the local senior citizen's center, even in towns of 5000 or smaller.

Jan in CA
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
You'll have to register here first, but this pattern is easy and done on size 6 needles I think.
http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=2794

Oops..that's 6mm so a size 10 needle. You could still do it and make it bigger.

Jen17
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
me again...Walmart carries Caron yarn also!

Duessa
06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
sad me... I just got back from Walmart and to my surprise found that they no longer have a "craft" section in my store. When did this happen? I don't know but they no longer carry yarn or anything like that. Oh they have scrapbooking, stuff for kids projects, but no yarn. why? : (

suzeeq
06-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Some walmarts are downsizing their craft depts, which usually means cutting back on the yarns and fabrics.

cam90066
06-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Existing thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79831) discussing Walmart and their downsizing of sewing/crafting depts.

You might also check the lionbrand.com ponchos. Some are very easy but not sure about ndl sz.

cam

Mirl56
06-02-2008, 06:27 AM
For inexpensive/2nd hand needles - also, in your town check to see if there are flea markets around. Or churches - see if any have and dinners for the community. They'll often have a flea market or father's attic or some such at the same time as the dinner as a fundraiser for the church. Ebay, too, you can buy a big bunch of needles fairly inexpensively.

suzeeq
06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I think the lion patterns may use different size needles, not just huge ones.

kellee0302
06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Hello all!

I'm just starting knitting and have very low funds to buy anything. I have two sets of needles 8 and 6. I don't have much yarn but I can go get that. I really want to make myself a poncho. The only patterns I have found that I like (simple with the yarn being the decoration, not a pattern) are used on VERY large needles that I really can't afford right now. Does anyone out there have a very simple pattern for a poncho that i could make? It would be my first project! Thanks so much in advance. This site is wonderful.

I have been buying my needles on ebay. I actually purchased 85 sets of needles for $15.00 about 3 months ago. Just watch the shipping sometimes that is very high. That way you are only paying what you can afford and can stop bidding when it goes over what you are willing to pay. They have yarn too. I find patterns at knittingpatterncentral.com. Don't be afraid to use the needles and yarn you have and maybe just knit a little longer to make something you like. If you run into trouble you can always post here and have all the help you will need.
Good Luck.